Tennis: US Open 2017 II

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Sloane had only 6 unforced errors.

An impressive stat and Sloane deserves credit for her performance. I just didn't see Madison making her hit very many tough shots today. Still have to execute though and like I said, credit to Sloane for doing so. Would've been nice if the Madison from a couple days ago had shown up to make it more of a match but for whatever reason, that obviously wasn't the case.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I wasn't planning to watch but thought it was on tonight. Do the guys play tomorrow night or earlier?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That was a great win for Stephens. The game plan was pretty clear from the start--make the points longer to take advantage of Keys' tendency to eventually err, use depth to pin her down, and make sure the second serve has a little more bite to it. Sloane did all that admirably, throwing in some heat of her own occasionally. This is the Sloane Stevens whom I saw in Toronto where she knocked off Kvitova, Kerver and Safrova in consecutive matches.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Her post-match comments were hilarious. That's why I like Sloane.

Reporter: Does this make you want to win more slams?
Sloane: "Girl, did you see the cheque I just got? If that doesn't make you want to play Tennis, I don't know what will." :laugh:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That quote got my morning off with a laugh.

Hoping Rafa, picking Rafa. If for no other reason (and Anderson represents a bloody huge "other reason"), just for the Fed/Rafa symmetry for 2017. 2017, people. Mindboggling.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Her post-match comments were hilarious. That's why I like Sloane.

Reporter: Does this make you want to win more slams?
Sloane: "Girl, did you see the cheque I just got? If that doesn't make you want to play Tennis, I don't know what will." :laugh:

Funny, in part because it's true...what other professional sport can women make as much money as tennis?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That quote got my morning off with a laugh.

Hoping Rafa, picking Rafa. If for no other reason (and Anderson represents a bloody huge "other reason"), just for the Fed/Rafa symmetry for 2017. 2017, people. Mindboggling.

What have you done ? You have doomed him. :sarcasm:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
It's funny that absolutely no one is posting about this match. The level of care is low as expected. Nadal cruising to an easy win. That lower half of the board was insanely weak. Whoever came out of that one was like those cinderalla teams in the playoffs who get destroyed in the finals (Edmonton, Florida, etc).

The women finals was even worse.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It's funny that absolutely no one is posting about this match. The level of care is low as expected. Nadal cruising to an easy win. That lower half of the board was insanely weak. Whoever came out of that one was like those cinderalla teams in the playoffs who get destroyed in the finals (Edmonton, Florida, etc).

My parents are from South Africa, so, I have a rooting interest there, but, still find myself cheering for Nadal here. I watched the first few games, but it was clear how this was going to play out, and hard to keep interest.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
3, 3 and 4 is about the best you could hope for from Andersson against Nadal after Rafa got through the early part of the first set, which has been his only bugaboo this tournament. At least Andersson didn't completely melt down like Keys yesterday, in what actually should have been a much more competitive match.

It was basically the late '60's NHL where the Original Six faced the Expansion Six in Stanley Cup Finals.

It's not that nobody cared, I'm fine with Rafa winning again. Would have been fine with Andersson pulling the miracle. But any notion of the latter was over with by midway through the first set. Just a matter of turning it on and off till the inevitable was finally about to become a reality (and even then Andersson gamely tried for the break to no avail).

Plus there's the small matter of it being NFL Opening Day today, that also divided attention.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, I have an excuse. I was at the movies. Not even I could doom Rafa by picking him. In a way he had a perfect storm this tournament just like Roger had at Wimbledon. But that's cool. After all the good times they have given us, each deserves one on the house.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I legit forgot about the final. I see that Rafa won easily. Good work. Anderson had 0 break point opportunities. Lol.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
If Nadal can win in Australia next year, does he put himself back in the conversation for best ever?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Two years ago I thought Nadal was done with potentially ever being the best player in the world, wow was I wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->