Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Lawler leaving commentary to be an entrant in the '97 Royal Rumble only to be knocked right back into commentary is the greatest RR spot ever

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Lawler leaving commentary to be an entrant in the '97 Royal Rumble only to be knocked right back into commentary is the greatest RR spot ever

On that line of thought, Lawler doesn't get enough credit for his heel work against ECW in 97. Especially having the cojones to show up in the ECW Arena

Reactions: RR44

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
On that line of thought, Lawler doesn't get enough credit for his heel work against ECW in 97. Especially having the cojones to show up in the ECW Arena
Lawler's 1996-1997 was great heel work, and almost none of it would fly now. His feud with Jake Roberts mocking his alcoholism, the Royal Rumble spot, the ECW program, and that infamous Goldust promo. Good shit. I still think there's a big place in wrestling for an edgelord heel who goes too far. When everybody does it it's cheap, but if most people stay inside the lines, one guy getting personal and pushing it too far is great. I don't watch much current wrestling anymore but I get that sense from some of MJF's stuff I've seen.

Say what you want about Lawler, but nobody can deny that he had cojones.

Reactions: BigBadBruins7708

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lawler's 1996-1997 was great heel work, and almost none of it would fly now. His feud with Jake Roberts mocking his alcoholism, the Royal Rumble spot, the ECW program, and that infamous Goldust promo. Good shit. I still think there's a big place in wrestling for an edgelord heel who goes too far. When everybody does it it's cheap, but if most people stay inside the lines, one guy getting personal and pushing it too far is great. I don't watch much current wrestling anymore but I get that sense from some of MJF's stuff I've seen.

Say what you want about Lawler, but nobody can deny that he had cojones.

It would be a difficult character to do without getting way too tasteless or too obvious, but if someone could thread the needle it could work.

You really got to know your audience though, because depending where you are, you could get booed for being offensive in one spot, and potentially cheered in another.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
More likely a popular opinion then an unpopular one, but wrestling attendance discourse is actually worse then arguing over the demo.

All In was a massive massive massive accomplishment and success, but good lord I don't get why anyone would want to literally sit there and try to count the empty seats to disprove the announced number. It doesn't matter. There was a f*** ton of people in that place just focus on that.

Same with Mania 3 or Mania Jerryworld.

These were all super successful stadium shows for their respective companies and that's all it needs to be.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
More likely a popular opinion then an unpopular one, but wrestling attendance discourse is actually worse then arguing over the demo.

All In was a massive massive massive accomplishment and success, but good lord I don't get why anyone would want to literally sit there and try to count the empty seats to disprove the announced number. It doesn't matter. There was a f*** ton of people in that place just focus on that.

These were all super successful stadium shows for their respective companies and that's all it needs to be.

Wrestling fandom has become so toxic and tribal it's crazy, people seem to get more enjoyment out of things that make others miserable than they do out of things that would give themselves joy

Reactions: OG6ix

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Wrestling fandom has become so toxic and tribal it's crazy, people seem to get more enjoyment out of things that make others miserable than they do out of things that would give themselves joy

The internet was simultaneously the best and worst thing to happen to wrestling. Or more accurately it was great in the early days but in the last decade or so the online community has gone completely to hell.

People find the smallest things to get up their own ass over, especially on reddit which is toxic as hell.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The internet was simultaneously the best and worst thing to happen to wrestling. Or more accurately it was great in the early days but in the last decade or so the online community has gone completely to hell.

People find the smallest things to get up their own ass over, especially on reddit which is toxic as hell.

Maybe it's unpopular, maybe it's not. But the worst thing the internet has done to the industry is the borderline troll acts that get over with the "smart" internet crowd and become their darlings.

See: Orange Cassidy

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Which honestly is crazy to me because such a good time to be a wrestling fan because you got so many different options and styles to sample and try with all the companies, and the competition is definitely pushing better products overall out there from everyone.

It's better for the wrestlers too as guys who maybe are getting lost in the shuffle have options to get featured on TV elsewhere.

But so many fans are just so hyper glued to the sheets and just want to shit on the company they are fanboying over.

And like Vince, TK, HHH, none of them are going to come and shake your hand because you got into a twitter or reddit fight defending your favorite company to death.

Just enjoy it. AEW has brought a lot of different styles to an audience that never saw it before which is awesome. Plus helping showcase some top New Japan talent that American audiences might not be familar with. WWE has upped their game and are telling much more engaging stories and are finally starting to feature and push different talent which is also awesome.

We all have our preferences but we don't need to be at each other's throats over it.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Kevin Nash was extremely over in WCW and I will never understand why. Could cut a decent promo I guess, but had to be carried in the ring on a regular basis.

Wrath's "meltdown" finisher was one of the most aesthetically pleasing looking finishing moves ever. A misused talent, just needed a mouthpiece and could've have been a force.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Underrated championship design, better than the original.

60bf3ef51929463f84799b24c305fe0c.jpeg

Reactions: RR44

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Ultimate Warrior is the worst of all-time. Terrible in the ring and the most go-away heat ever. Even as a kid, glued to wrestling in the 80's, I'd change channels when he was on. Annoying as hell.
Glad to see I wasn't the only kid who hated the Warrior. When Jesse would call him a lunatic I would just laugh and say, "Yes, why do people like this idiot??" I was pissed when Hogan lost to him at WM6 but damn did I ever become a Sgt. Slaughter fan a few months later lol.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Glad to see I wasn't the only kid who hated the Warrior. When Jesse would call him a lunatic I would just laugh and say, "Yes, why do people like this idiot??" I was pissed when Hogan lost to him at WM6 but damn did I ever become a Sgt. Slaughter fan a few months later lol.
His feud with Papa Shango was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. And I was like 10.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I know it's easy to trash on the Ultimate Warrior, but I think what worked with him was when you watch those Saturday Morning Squash matches that last 3-5 minutes, his 30 second matches stood out. Now UW is definitely not the guy you want watching a 10-15 minute match of but when all you get is short matches because you didn't buy PPV or get to see Wrestling in person his definitely had a special feel to them. Also I liked his weird arse promos(sort of fit the character that he wasn't quite there). lol

Sometimes you don't need to be a 5 star technical masterpiece to have a memorable match

Just look at that crowd.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Unpopular opinion: I think the WWE product is overrated. The bloodline was fantastic but now it's just back to same old same old. I'm not invested in anything and it reminds me of episodes from like 2011.

Reactions: Grackle Party

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad