Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That combo is really what saved WWE. The early attitude era stuff wasn't really closing the ratings gap with WCW despite what WWE likes to claim.

DX was popular, but it wasn't causing people to change the channel from Nitro. Austin and Vince was what really did it
You're right that WWE (vastly) exaggerates DX's significance. I think we all know who is behind that exaggeration.

As cool a moment as it was, they put way to much stock in their DX Army Norfolk Scope invasion.

The HHH-HBK heel version that started it all was different and edgy, but they were still heels and really that version of the group didn't last particularly long.

Post WM 14 DX was basically the face character of what I would call their secondary storyline at the time, with The Nation playing the heel in the story.

DX eventually get included in the main story as it expanded near the latter part of 1998. But were not the central focus.

By WM 15, DX had already peaked. No one remembers the little battle the former members had over the DX trademarks. The heel version that reformed in late 1999 that acted effectively as goons for HHH and Stephanie are never mentioned on WWE TV.

Austin vs. McMahon was the story that drew people in. Anyone who saw the Tyson-Austin confrontation on Raw had to be captivated by the interaction of Austin and Vince. That moment where Vince is yelling at Austin "you ruined it, you ruined it dammit" and takes a swing at him while Austin gave him the finger was so real and visceral you genuinely believed the owner of the WWF hated Steve Austin. Vince doesn't get enough credit sometimes for his acting chops.

If we look at the first 18 months - 2 years of the Attitude Era, it was probably 80% Austin vs. McMahon, 10% DX, and 10% everyone else.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
As cool a moment as it was, they put way to much stock in their DX Army Norfolk Scope invasion.

The HHH-HBK heel version that started it all was different and edgy, but they were still heels and really that version of the group didn't last particularly long.

Post WM 14 DX was basically the face character of what I would call their secondary storyline at the time, with The Nation playing the heel in the story.

DX eventually get included in the main story as it expanded near the latter part of 1998. But were not the central focus.

By WM 15, DX had already peaked. No one remembers the little battle the former members had over the DX trademarks. The heel version that reformed in late 1999 that acted effectively as goons for HHH and Stephanie are never mentioned on WWE TV.

Austin vs. McMahon was the story that drew people in. Anyone who saw the Tyson-Austin confrontation on Raw had to be captivated by the interaction of Austin and Vince. That moment where Vince is yelling at Austin "you ruined it, you ruined it dammit" and takes a swing at him while Austin gave him the finger was so real and visceral you genuinely believed the owner of the WWF hated Steve Austin. Vince doesn't get enough credit sometimes for his acting chops.

If we look at the first 18 months - 2 years of the Attitude Era, it was probably 80% Austin vs. McMahon, 10% DX, and 10% everyone else.

1 caveat to this, the New Age Outlaws were very important.

They were insanely over and elevated the entire tag team division. If they weren't as over as they were, you wouldn't have had Edge and Christian, The Hardyz or the APA be as over as they were.

Hell, this stat says it all. The 3 wrestlers that sold the most merchandise in the Attitude Era were, in order, Stone Cold, The Rock and The New Age Outlaws.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

They were insanely over and elevated the entire tag team division. If they weren't as over as they were, you wouldn't have had Edge and Christian, The Hardyz or the APA be as over as they were.

Hell, this stat says it all. The 3 wrestlers that sold the most merchandise in the Attitude Era were, in order, Stone Cold, The Rock and The New Age Outlaws.

I felt their run from late 1997 until they went their own way post WM 15 re-established the importance of actual tag teams in WWF at the time even though it was just two singles wrestlers tossed together. Really great 18-month or so run and set the stage for those legit teams that came after them.

I had a buddy who dressed up as Road-Dogg for Halloween in 1998. People loved that entrance and opening promo.

Reactions: Bench Clearer

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I went back and watched some shows and boy was the teams the Outlaws were feuding with rough.

Kept the titles on TV weekly in big spots until the actual good tag teams got established though.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Bigger question might be how being the greatest IC champ in the current era ranks compared to the late 80s/early 90s when the title held more prestige, and when the division was filled with elite talent like Rude, Hennig, Hart, Michaels etc.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Bigger question might be how being the greatest IC champ in the current era ranks compared to the late 80s/early 90s when the title held more prestige, and when the division was filled with elite talent like Rude, Hennig, Hart, Michaels etc.

I think Gunther has brought the prestige back to the IC title and lifted it back to where it used to be, the majority of the IC champs in the previous 20 or so years were forgettable with a few exceptions here and there

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Looking back on the Golden Era of WWE. Some of the gimmicks are f***ing hilarious and I think a lot of jobbers should make an occupation their gimmick.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Maybe it’s unpopular, maybe it’s not.

Gunther is already the greatest intercontinental champion ever.
It might be the best single IC title reign ever. Whenever he drops the title, it's going to feel like a big deal. When's the last time an IC title change felt important? Ziggler beating Miz in 2016 I think. Before that, I can't remember.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
The MJF/Cole thing is somewhat fun, but overall, I miss true heal MJF. Every week, his mic-work was must-see. Hell, he even made the stupid press conferences must-see. I'm honestly rooting for this story to end soon. Face MJF is...ok, I guess, but old MJF is 1,000X better. Like, the best character since Rock or Austin good.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Issue with MJF as a heel is crowds just refuse to boo him.

They want to cheer him.
It’s because they’re hanging onto every segment. He’s so good that, when he tells a crowd to shut up, they love him even more.

Face MJF goes for the “cheap pop” and panders to the audience somewhat. He’s really talented and definitely versatile, but the heel is way better.

Reactions: yahhockey

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
There's the narrative that after the fingerpoke of doom WCW creatively was a steady downward trajectory, that Vince Russo killed the product altogether, and it led to their demise. Having come across some reviews of PPVs from that era the last few days, I'm going to put out this hot take: From October 1999 to January 2000, WCW was creatively on the upswing. His booking went south after he returned with Bischoff in April and went completely batshit crazy after the Bash at the Beach incident and Bischoff walking out leaving no checks and balances for him. But that first 3-month run booking wasn't that bad.

I hate to be a Russo apologist, and to make it clear it wasn't perfect booking on par with WWF in 1997 or early 1999, but I think it had good direction and TBQH I remember the WCW of that period more clearly than the WWF programming over the same time.

It was a little clunky how they vacated the belt in the first place at Halloween Havoc, but the ensuing world championship tournament was really good, elevated some guys, intertwined storylines. It gave us the amazing Norman Smiley hardcore gimmick.

The nWo 2000 angle may have been a reductive idea but I think a stable with those 4 guys in it led by a heel champ in Hart to fend off Goldberg had some legs to it, but right at the exact time they were getting it off the ground, Hart had to retire due to his concussion, Goldberg sliced his wrist open on the limo window, and Jarrett also got hurt and had to drop the US Title. The plan for early 2000 was completely screwed over there and internal politics pushed Russo out after he proposed Tank Abbott win a battle royal for the belt when trying to make up something on the fly.

I think January 2000 was an understated turning point for both companies as WCW went into a creative spiral and Kevin Sullivan being given the book is probably what pushed the Radicalz right into the WWF's arms.

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
Never liked Shawn Michaels and it has nothing to do with the Kliq or Montreal. My favorite time to watch the WWF was 98-02 when he was inactive, and I lost interest as soon as he came back. I only like a couple of his matches but only because of the stipulation (ladder match) or his opponent.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Never liked Shawn Michaels and it has nothing to do with the Kliq or Montreal. My favorite time to watch the WWF was 98-02 when he was inactive, and I lost interest as soon as he came back. I only like a couple of his matches but only because of the stipulation (ladder match) or his opponent.
I liked heal Michaels as well as DX Michaels. He was a natural cocky douche and had good chemistry with HHH.

I agree with face Michaels, though. Was annoying as hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad