Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I always found it interesting that Norton was a star in Japan but barely a mid carder in WCW. He was never booked well but I'm not sure he would've been a star even if he was. Prince Albert/Giant Bernard was another guy kind of like that.

Reactions: Bench Clearer

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I always found it interesting that Norton was a star in Japan but barely a mid carder in WCW. He was never booked well but I'm not sure he would've been a star even if he was. Prince Albert/Giant Bernard was another guy kind of like that.
I loved Norton on those games and he was a brute in WCW, but I am guessing neither Norton or Albert had to do much talking in Japan? Both were better fits as a silent monster which probably held them back here

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I loved Norton on those games and he was a brute in WCW, but I am guessing neither Norton or Albert had to do much talking in Japan? Both were better fits as a silent monster which probably held them back here
Yeah, I figured that was the reason but I can't really remember them doing promos in NA which probably says a lot. The Japanese fans definitely love their NA monsters. Guys like Vader, Earthquake, Brody, Bam Bam etc always drew well there.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, I figured that was the reason but I can't really remember them doing promos in NA which probably says a lot. The Japanese fans definitely love their NA monsters. Guys like Vader, Earthquake, Brody, Bam Bam etc always drew well there.
Don't forget about this guy:

79457be6285f4c845eabe813c6f191c3.jpg

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Here’s another couple…

HBK vs Bret @ Wrestlemania 12 is the most overrated match of all time.

Batista was always garbage.

Is it overrated? I feel like I see way more people trashing that match then praising it.

Modern opinions seem to dislike it.

I'm with you on Batista. Cena got all the hate, but Big Dave was over pushed just as much but got away with it because it was on smackdown

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Is it overrated? I feel like I see way more people trashing that match then praising it.

I'm with you on Batista. Cena got all the hate, but Big Dave was over pushed just as much but got away with it because it was on smackdown
I definitely see more and more people kind of turning on it, but at one point it was always Savage/Steamboat and Bret/HBK among the greatest WM matches ever.

I watched it a few months ago and almost fell asleep.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Here’s another couple…

It's been at least a decade since I've watched the whole thing, but IIRC wasn't it just 58 minutes of restholds before the sharpshooter spot at the end?

Overall boring match with a really good finish - Pat Patterson could put together a good finish.

Big Dave's character was awful until they embraced how unintentionally hilarious he was and leaned into his comedic side. But prior to about 2009, his whole character was "Congratulations, I want my rematch" and he's just get shot after shot at the belt.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It's been at least a decade since I've watched the whole thing, but IIRC wasn't it just 58 minutes of restholds before the sharpshooter spot at the end?

Overall boring match with a really good finish - Pat Patterson could put together a good finish.

Big Dave's character was awful until they embraced how unintentionally hilarious he was and leaned into his comedic side. But prior to about 2009, his whole character was "Congratulations, I want my rematch" and he's just get shot after shot at the belt.
Yeah, I got like 20 minutes in and dozed off for 20 more minutes. I feel they were concerned they'd blow up, but yeah, lots of rest holds and stalling until the final few mins.

Reactions: Bench Clearer

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
There's the narrative that after the fingerpoke of doom WCW creatively was a steady downward trajectory, that Vince Russo killed the product altogether, and it led to their demise. Having come across some reviews of PPVs from that era the last few days, I'm going to put out this hot take: From October 1999 to January 2000, WCW was creatively on the upswing. His booking went south after he returned with Bischoff in April and went completely batshit crazy after the Bash at the Beach incident and Bischoff walking out leaving no checks and balances for him. But that first 3-month run booking wasn't that bad.

I hate to be a Russo apologist, and to make it clear it wasn't perfect booking on par with WWF in 1997 or early 1999, but I think it had good direction and TBQH I remember the WCW of that period more clearly than the WWF programming over the same time.

It was a little clunky how they vacated the belt in the first place at Halloween Havoc, but the ensuing world championship tournament was really good, elevated some guys, intertwined storylines. It gave us the amazing Norman Smiley hardcore gimmick.

The nWo 2000 angle may have been a reductive idea but I think a stable with those 4 guys in it led by a heel champ in Hart to fend off Goldberg had some legs to it, but right at the exact time they were getting it off the ground, Hart had to retire due to his concussion, Goldberg sliced his wrist open on the limo window, and Jarrett also got hurt and had to drop the US Title. The plan for early 2000 was completely screwed over there and internal politics pushed Russo out after he proposed Tank Abbott win a battle royal for the belt when trying to make up something on the fly.

I think January 2000 was an understated turning point for both companies as WCW went into a creative spiral and Kevin Sullivan being given the book is probably what pushed the Radicalz right into the WWF's arms.
I'm here for Screamin' Norman.

McDavid is too whiny

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Scott Norton was my favorite member of the nWo. In WCW nWo Revenge he was my undefeated world heavyweight champ for about a year straight.
My favourite ever vidya game wrestler is Mike Awesome in ECW Hardcore Revolution, which I just found out is the exact same gameplay wise as some game called WWF Attitude.

Mike Awesome.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
My favourite ever vidya game wrestler is Mike Awesome in ECW Hardcore Revolution, which I just found out is the exact same gameplay wise as some game called WWF Attitude.

Mike Awesome.

WWF War Zone and WWF Attitude were shitty games made by Acclaim, and WCW had superior games produced by THQ, so the WWF persuaded THQ to partner with them for their games (which became WM2000 and No Mercy), while WCW partnered with EA to make new games (which sucked), and Acclaim had their wrestling game engine sitting there so they went to ECW to make Hardcore Revolution, which was a crappy low budget game for a crappy low budget wrestling company that ECW had become by that point.

McDavid is too whiny

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
WWF War Zone and WWF Attitude were shitty games made by Acclaim, and WCW had superior games produced by THQ, so the WWF persuaded THQ to partner with them for their games (which became WM2000 and No Mercy), while WCW partnered with EA to make new games (which sucked), and Acclaim had their wrestling game engine sitting there so they went to ECW to make Hardcore Revolution, which was a crappy low budget game for a crappy low budget wrestling company that ECW had become by that point.
That all may be true but you haven't really lived until you're taking on three guys at once in career mode and hitting roughly 437 release belly to belly overhead suplexes with Mike Awesome to wear them all out enough to score a pin.

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
Hardcore matches and "garbage wrestling" was the most entertaining form of wrestling in existence. I'll take that any day over a classic mat wrestling match. ECW was far more entertaining to me than Ric Flair, for instance.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hardcore matches and "garbage wrestling" was the most entertaining form of wrestling in existence. I'll take that any day over a classic mat wrestling match. ECW was far more entertaining to me than Ric Flair, for instance.

I file this under the law of diminishing returns. The more you see something the less exciting it becomes. I thought garbage wrestling was exciting in small doses but the more and more you see it, it almost becomes like hitting somebody with a chair becomes as exciting as a punch to the face.

All that being said there is many things I can file under law of diminishing returns in the case of modern wrestling compared to yesteryear mainly due to the over saturation of Wrestling on Cable TV.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I file this under the law of diminishing returns. The more you see something the less exciting it becomes. I thought garbage wrestling was exciting in small doses but the more and more you see it, it almost becomes like hitting somebody with a chair becomes as exciting as a punch to the face.

All that being said there is many things I can file under law of diminishing returns in the case of modern wrestling compared to yesteryear mainly due to the over saturation of Wrestling on Cable TV.
If New Jack were still around, he'd have to pull out a piece and shoot someone during a match to shock people anymore.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
After Bryan/MJF's iron man match, I saw some people saying that it was almost as good as Bret/Shawn on the interwebs.

I think I could name 10 better iron man matches than Bret/Shawn and I can only think of 7-8 off the top of my head.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Here’s another couple…

I'd still say any of the Attitude Era matches are much more overrated. Three moves, a zillion punches, and signature poses.

It's not in my top five Wrestlemania matches, but I'll take it over any of the Austin/Rock ones, or the later Iron Man matches.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I haven't seen the entirety of either match (have seen highlights), but I have a feeling that if I was to carefully watch and compare the HBK/Hart and HHH/Rock iron-man matches, I might prefer the latter.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The overall failure of the Invasion angle along with the advent of the "what" chant overshadows how incredibly entertaining Stone Cold's "paranoid lunatic leader of the Alliance" character was. Looking back it was some of Austin's best work character and promo wise and arguably my second favorite version of the character after his 1996-97 heel run.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The overall failure of the Invasion angle along with the advent of the "what" chant overshadows how incredibly entertaining Stone Cold's "paranoid lunatic leader of the Alliance" character was. Looking back it was some of Austin's best work character and promo wise and arguably my second favorite version of the character after his 1996-97 heel run.

Austin should have to apologize daily for creating the What chant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad