Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I know it's easy to trash on the Ultimate Warrior, but I think what worked with him was when you watch those Saturday Morning Squash matches that last 3-5 minutes, his 30 second matches stood out. Now UW is definitely not the guy you want watching a 10-15 minute match of but when all you get is short matches because you didn't buy PPV or get to see Wrestling in person his definitely had a special feel to them. Also I liked his weird arse promos(sort of fit the character that he wasn't quite there). lol

Sometimes you don't need to be a 5 star technical masterpiece to have a memorable match

Just look at that crowd.

It's a character with a short shelf life. That first year or so when he is just running in with crazy babyface fire, squashing heels, and cutting insane promos its awesome. Especially in the 80s.

Eventually though you gotta adjust to stay over but warrior was too shit to adjust

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's a character with a short shelf life. That first year or so when he is just running in with crazy babyface fire, squashing heels, and cutting insane promos its awesome. Especially in the 80s.

Eventually though you gotta adjust to stay over but warrior was too shit to adjust

Not denying this, I am just saying there was a certain appeal to the UW during his stints in the WWF. I know people like to crap all over him, I just like playing devil's advocate, even though I wasn't his biggest fan(especially for the way he handled business outside the ring which would be my biggest beef with him more than his sub average in ring work the longer a match got)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not denying this, I am just saying there was a certain appeal to the UW during his stints in the WWF. I know people like to crap all over him, I just like playing devil's advocate, even though I wasn't his biggest fan(especially for the way he handled business outside the ring which would be my biggest beef with him more than his sub average in ring work the longer a match got)

His initial run with the IC belt was fun.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There is nothing wrong with part time champions like Lesnar and Reigns.

If any of you watch boxing or MMA you know that world champions do not appear on every show, and they certainly don't defend their titles at every show.

Even the most active champion only fights about 3 times a year,

they might appear on camera in the crowd at a couple others that's it.

That's why a UFC world heavyweight championship fight is so special because we don't get it every month.

That's why GSP was a huge star because we didn't get him every month.

If you want to stick to wrestling when WCW was at It's peak Hogan barely defended the title.

After getting it in 1996, Hogan wouldn't defend it on PPV until October, then wouldn't defend it again until January, then February, and then if I'm not mistaken wouldn't defend it again on PPV until October, although he did drop it and win it back in August.

And to be fair I don't remember if Hogan vs Piper at in the cage was for the world title I assume it was.

Point is when Hogan defended the title it was special because it was rare.

Championship matches should be rare.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
There is nothing wrong with part time champions like Lesnar and Reigns.

If any of you watch boxing or MMA you know that world champions do not appear on every show, and they certainly don't defend their titles at every show.

Even the most active champion only fights about 3 times a year,

they might appear on camera in the crowd at a couple others that's it.

That's why a UFC world heavyweight championship fight is so special because we don't get it every month.

That's why GSP was a huge star because we didn't get him every month.

If you want to stick to wrestling when WCW was at It's peak Hogan barely defended the title.

After getting it in 1996, Hogan wouldn't defend it on PPV until October, then wouldn't defend it again until January, then February, and then if I'm not mistaken wouldn't defend it again on PPV until October, although he did drop it and win it back in August.

And to be fair I don't remember if Hogan vs Piper at in the cage was for the world title I assume it was.

Point is when Hogan defended the title it was special because it was rare.

Championship matches should be rare.
I agree with the notion that championship matches should be (somewhat) rare, but there's a difference between defending the title and literally being a no-show for months at a time. Like not even for an interview or to create/further a storyline. And this is wrestling, not the MMA.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
An Ultimate Warrior/Jim Hellwig doing what The Undertaker did during the Attitude Era by going with a more realistic presentation would of been huge money. Jim Hellwig shoot promos in the ring would of been epic.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It really hasn't been an issue with Roman because his presence is still felt throughout both shows.

RAW has multiple storylines about folks dealing with being backstabbed and cost opportunities by the Bloodline and how they are choosing to deal with that (and with Jey).

Cody wanting to finish the story is still directly tied with Roman. Not wanting the story isn't the same as it not being set up.

Smackdown and the Bloodline remnants are on every week even if Roman isn't there. Knight has unfinished business with them and Roman which has been an ongoing story.

Now Orton is back and he too has unfinished business with Roman and the Bloodline and is likely Roman's Rumble match.

This is all different from Brock's part time run where he goes away for weeks and there is no mention of him at all.

The storylines work better when Roman is actively on TV, but things are still progressing even when he isn't.

Current WWE also does a better job of making other stories feel important then they did in the past which helps too.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
In retrospect, HHH sticks out like sore thumb in DX. He just doesn't seem to match the part and seems to be trying really hard to mask it.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
All of the major promotions are completely off the rails terrible right now.

WWE, AEW, ROH, TNA, and MLW.
CMLL and AAA.
Bushiroad (NJPW and Stardom), CyberFight (DDT, NOAH, TJPW, Ganbare), Dragongate, AJPW.

The last promotion that was consistently putting on great shows was Ring of Honor right before Tony Khan bought it and turned it into AEW Dark mixed with WWECW. The focus on in-ring work, the excellent new promo style they were using (look up the Jay Briscoe vs EC3 promos or the Shane Taylor vs Kenny King promos; sit-down interview style conversations intermixed with clips and photos; very effective and personal storytelling). Nobody really cared anymore; the promotion didn't recover from the COVID break well from a buzz standpoint. But it was the last time I watched a wrestling show that didn't feel like every other wrestling show. The last time before that was Lucha Underground.

NJPW needs to eliminate about half of their belts immediately. It's gotten insane.

Tony Khan should just shut down Ring of Honor or sell it to someone who cares.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
All of the major promotions are completely off the rails terrible right now.

WWE, AEW, ROH, TNA, and MLW.
CMLL and AAA.
Bushiroad (NJPW and Stardom), CyberFight (DDT, NOAH, TJPW, Ganbare), Dragongate, AJPW.

The last promotion that was consistently putting on great shows was Ring of Honor right before Tony Khan bought it and turned it into AEW Dark mixed with WWECW. The focus on in-ring work, the excellent new promo style they were using (look up the Jay Briscoe vs EC3 promos or the Shane Taylor vs Kenny King promos; sit-down interview style conversations intermixed with clips and photos; very effective and personal storytelling). Nobody really cared anymore; the promotion didn't recover from the COVID break well from a buzz standpoint. But it was the last time I watched a wrestling show that didn't feel like every other wrestling show. The last time before that was Lucha Underground.

NJPW needs to eliminate about half of their belts immediately. It's gotten insane.

Tony Khan should just shut down Ring of Honor or sell it to someone who cares.

Maybe check out some indies

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The #30 spot in the rumble was wasted on Sami Zayn.

The #30 spot should be somebody that can actually win the match, even if It's a dark horse pick and that's not Sami Zayn, there was not a single person that saw that rumble that believed Sami Zayn was going to win that match.

NOBODY

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Did anyone believe Cody was not winning the Rumble?

I think there was a lot of people that thought Punk would win the rumble, and Cody would win a #1 contender chamber match in Australia.

I also think there were some that thought Gunther would win the rumble.

Last year it was Cody and nobody thought different.

This year I think there were people that didn't think Cody would win.

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I think there was a lot of people that thought Punk would win the rumble, and Cody would win a #1 contender chamber match in Australia.

I also think there were some that thought Gunther would win the rumble.

Last year it was Cody and nobody thought different.

This year I think there were people that didn't think Cody would win.
There was no possible way they were giving it to Punk. Fans may have wanted to see that but it really doesn't make any business sense to the WWE.

First, Punk has always been setup to work a program with Seth. He doesn't really need a Rumble win to do that. The chamber would have been fine because...

Second, Roman is the headliner for Wrestlemania. I think the WWE would be hesitant risking a 45 year old guy in his first televised wrestling appearance for them and with a history of inconsistency in staying healthy into a program with Roman (or Seth) for a couple months. That proved to be a good risk to avoid. If he wasn't having televised singles matches by then, there was no way they were handing him a Rumble win (at least not yet). The Rumble just felt like a way to slow walk him into being active again without getting hurt, which maybe didn't exactly go according to plan.

Gunther would have been interesting but doesn't really give them a narrative like Cody's to build off of. With Gunther vs Roman or Seth, they'd be starting from scratch.

Outside of that, without having the Rock randomly show up, it was always going to be Cody. That's not to say Sami was believable at 30 but not many people other than Cody were believable.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
There was no possible way they were giving it to Punk. Fans may have wanted to see that but it really doesn't make any business sense to the WWE.

First, Punk has always been setup to work a program with Seth. He doesn't really need a Rumble win to do that. The chamber would have been fine because...
So why did Cody need a Rumble win to face Reigns? It works both ways.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
My guess is Punk was the original plan to win the Rumble, but when Seth got hurt they figured they needed a big story to occupy RAW with Seth rehabbing so Punk going nuts trying to find another way to Mania would be that. Plus they had an out with EC if Seth had any set backs and they needed to take the belt off him.

Then Punk got hurt, then the Vince stuff happened and took Brock down with it, and then old Dwayne started going full Hogan.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Purely from a business perspective, they were not making that announcement from Perth at EC. Rumble was the bigger marquee event with the largest possible audience watching.
Not sure I understand. I know it's moot now, but how would things have changed if Punk won the Rumble and announced he'll face Rollins...and then Cody wins EC to face Reigns at Mania?

I know Cody was the strong favourite to win the Rumble, but I don't think it was so far fetched that Punk could win.

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Not sure I understand. I know it's moot now, but how would things have changed if Punk won the Rumble and announced he'll face Rollins...and then Cody wins EC to face Reigns at Mania?

I know Cody was the strong favourite to win the Rumble, but I don't think it was so far fetched that Punk could win.
If you are announcing the main event for Wrestlemania for the most important title, conventional wisdom would tell you not to do that in the middle of night when Elimination Chamber takes place and most of their audience is sleeping. If you want the biggest audience for that announcement, you do it at the Rumble. While CM Punk could technically win the Rumble and it wouldn't change much on who faces who, from a business perspective, that just wouldn't make sense if WWE wanted the maximum impact on their audience.

Additional to that, if CM Punk won, why would he choose Seth? Having the first choice, why wouldn't he just pick Roman?

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
If you are announcing the main event for Wrestlemania for the most important title, conventional wisdom would tell you not to do that in the middle of night when Elimination Chamber takes place and most of their audience is sleeping. If you want the biggest audience for that announcement, you do it at the Rumble. While CM Punk could technically win the Rumble and it wouldn't change much on who faces who, from a business perspective, that just wouldn't make sense if WWE wanted the maximum impact on their audience.

Additional to that, if CM Punk won, why would he choose Seth? Having the first choice, why wouldn't he just pick Roman?
I get your point but it has happened before where the Rumble winner didn't get the top match at Mania and where the Mania main event was announced in February.

As for your question at the end, Punk choosing Rollins could just easily be explained by their past beef.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad