GDT: UFC 295: Prochazka vs. Pereira

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
That's what happens with flash knockouts. You're out and then by the time the ref is there you are awake. Ref is justified to stop the fight in that situation.
I don't see how he would have been able to pull Pereira backwards with him if he wasn't conscious, unless it was like some form of rigor mortis. His hands dropped but then it looked like he grabbed him again.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Kinda disappointed in stoppage cause that fight was turning into a classic.

Izzy won’t do the mma trilogy. I think he’s exiting his prime and knows it and is having an early mid life crisis about it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't see how he would have been able to pull Pereira backwards with him if he wasn't conscious, unless it was like some form of rigor mortis. His hands dropped but then it looked like he grabbed him again.

Makes sense if Pereira is leaning forward on him like he appeared to be doing and fell forward when jiri went out

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Did Pereira call anyone out? He kind of indicated he wants to fight before Hill recovers from injury
It was a pretty cool call out stylistically.

From my understanding of the translator he said (roughly) - "years ago I heard a guy in an interview saying I was just going to be a guy in a bar watching him fight, so it motivated me to come to the ufc. Now he's talking about sitting out until 2027 and I think that's a waste of talent. So maybe I can save/motivate you the way you did me"

And then Pereira said "Adesanya come to daddy" in English lol

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Anyways, in terms of what actually happened in the main event I thought it was fairly as expected. Jiri the more dynamic guy and Pereira very methodical.

I thought Jiri actually fought pretty smart but my concern coming in was that he just gets hit a bit too much based on his previous fights. He's just so reckless which makes him one of my favorite fighters but he's also just going to be in so tough to go on a sustained run. Kind of a 205 Gaethje

Reactions: I am not exposed

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Jiri doesn’t seem like a whiner even if it’s warranted. He’ll play that card so he’s not labelled a crybaby.
I don't think anyone saying this was an early stoppage is whining. If anything it helps set up the rematch...

I think its more realistic he was legit out.

I would have loved to have had Cruz on the call though cause he would have been going nuts about the stoppage.

• Haha
Reactions: 16Skippy and Taytro

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
That fight went largely how I expected. Pereira is just significantly better technically and has the dangerous power, but Jiri has that unpredictability, aggression, and power.

There was a moment there in the 2nd (iirc) where it looked like Jiri might stop Pereira after catching him and following up with non stop aggression...but largely Pereira was just picking him apart technically with the leg kicks and winning the striking. Then the over aggression got Jiri caught and costed him.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Both heavyweight and light heavyweight are muddy atm.

Who does Aspinall fight next? Stipe obviously waiting for Jones. Does he fight Gane and defend the interim? Doesn't make sense.

Who does Pereira fight next? Shame the Walker fight ended in that weird draw. Winner of that fight would have made sense
In the outside chance something happens to Jones that keeps him out longer, I could see Stipe accepting a fight with Aspinall, provided it’s for the real belt and not interim. Becoming the first 3x undisputed heavyweight champ might be a big enough legacy boost for him to take the fight.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Both heavyweight and light heavyweight are muddy atm.

Who does Aspinall fight next? Stipe obviously waiting for Jones. Does he fight Gane and defend the interim? Doesn't make sense.

Who does Pereira fight next? Shame the Walker fight ended in that weird draw. Winner of that fight would have made sense

After watching the post-fight press conference I'm now 100% certain Dana has some sort of agreement with Jones and Stipe for them to fight each other (and only each other) for the belt. Aspinall just destroyed Pavlovich on short notice, he's charismatic, he's from the UK and Dana completely shot down the idea of him fighting Jones for the belt next in favor of Jones vs. Stipe which really makes no sense other than him wanting one more fight out of those two (or him wanting one more fight out of Jones and Jones only wanting to fight Stipe).

Nothing about that situation makes sense and it's weird for Dana to not be hyping up someone like Aspinall right now. I think he's just transfixed on getting one more championship fight out of Jones.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
That stoppage was totally perfect. If you're not biased by the announcers jiri took like 8 shots to the head, was out cold and landed with alex in full mount.

No reason to get upset about not seeing jiris head bounce off the mat a few more times before the exact same result.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
After watching the post-fight press conference I'm now 100% certain Dana has some sort of agreement with Jones and Stipe for them to fight each other (and only each other) for the belt. Aspinall just destroyed Pavlovich on short notice, he's charismatic, he's from the UK and Dana completely shot down the idea of him fighting Jones for the belt next in favor of Jones vs. Stipe which really makes no sense other than him wanting one more fight out of those two (or him wanting one more fight out of Jones and Jones only wanting to fight Stipe).

Nothing about that situation makes sense and it's weird for Dana to not be hyping up someone like Aspinall right now. I think he's just transfixed on getting one more championship fight out of Jones.
It's not some secret agreement, Dana said immediately after Jones got hurt that they were still doing Stipe vs Jones later half 2024.

I get it I love Aspinall and he's the future but from a promoters standpoint Stipe vs Jones sells. As someone that was thinking about going and checking every single day the secondary ticket market plummeted after that fight went down and not only tickets but that PPV sells too. Also there's a chance Jones and/or Stipe retire after that fight. So you might have those two only wanting one more legacy fight rather then go out and fight some young animal.

So you have Aspinall either sit or go out and crush a volkov or fight Gane and most likely win. You have have jones vs Stipe and then unite the belt with Tommy after... or if they retire you take away the interim belt and make him champ.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Regardless of how you feel about the stoppage, we have to appreciate how incredible of a talent Pereira is. Dude is one of the greatest combat sports fighters ever - in Glory kickboxing he was the first and only double champ and then he comes over to the UFC at age 34 and within 2 years he speed ran the MW and LHW championships. What a freak of nature.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
UFC should step in and make a statement that Jones needs to fight the interim champ next or lose the belt. Fighting Stipe makes less than zero sense.

All to do with money. They know Stipe vs. Jones will be a massive seller even though logically it doesn't make sense. Jones should do the honourable thing like other champs who got injuries and give up the belt. He won't though. Stipe is old and got starched in his last fight. He won't win the title again. This Stipe vs. Jones fight is all about legacy. And with the title on the line, the UFC knows it will make bank. Really though, this fight would have been interesting 5 years ago. In 2024, not so much imo. But it will sell to the casual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad