GDT: UFC 295: Prochazka vs. Pereira

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
The stoppage might be a smidge early but I don't have a big problem with it.
Jiri was definitely hurt, and when he fell back he didn't pull Poatan into guard, he was mounted.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
UFC should step in and make a statement that Jones needs to fight the interim champ next or lose the belt. Fighting Stipe makes less than zero sense.
If Jones fights Stipe, while Aspinall has the interim belt... Do we just have 2 active belts or do you strip the belt of Aspinall as soon as the Stipe fight starts? Makes no sense but that's the UFC.

Reactions: I am not exposed

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Stipe last won a fight in August 2020. By the time he is penciled in to fight Jones, it will be 4 years since he won!! I like Stipe and he is a good all round fighter. And fair credit for the run he did go on. But it is an absolute joke he's getting a title fight after this time of inactivity. Aspinall and Pavlovich had how many wins and finishes since Stipe last won? The real heavyweight title was just decided with the fight on Saturday.

And when Stipe does finally fight Jones, he will get finished thus actually tarnishing his legacy. I've said it before, but he should have retired after he won the trilogy against DC. Instead he will finish his career with two losses imo. I just don't find him fighting Jones intriguing at all as at the age of 41 he's well past his best.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
My guess:
-Interim title fight at ufc295
-winner defends interim title sometime early 2024
-miocic/jones happens mid/late 2024
-winner retires, interim belt holder becomes real champ

The closest example I would consider is what happened with Renan Barao. Won an interim title, then defended it twice and after the second defense it was changed to the actual title. Not exactly the same scenario but closest there has probably been.

I think it also gives them some options. If they need to strip Jones that's easy enough, if they need to move on from Miocic that's easy enough as well. Fluid situation.. but ya, the above is my guess in terms of a plausible scenario.

The above is what I posted what I thought would happen & why when the title fight got announced. I still think this is the most likely scenario.

I actually don't have a big problem with it either. There's really no rush to turn the interim belt into a real one. I find the whole Jones situation annoying.. but he's hurt with a long-term injury so if they need to defend the interim belt an extra time then so be it.

The real interesting part to me is who gets that next shot. I know Gane is the obvious answer but I also don't think they would really want to reward him with another title shot after he laid an egg v Jones. And then if he wins and Jones wins, that's the potential fight? No thanks.

I know he's coming off a loss to Pavlovich, but I might do Aspinall/Blaydes. You have a storyline with Blaydes "winning" the fight last time due to an injury.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I know he's coming off a loss to Pavlovich, but I might do Aspinall/Blaydes. You have a storyline with Blaydes "winning" the fight last time due to an injury.
So when Ankalaev or Hill eventually win the LHW belt, Paul Craig gets to come up from middleweight and challenge for the belt right? :sarcasm:

Blaydes lost to the loser of the interim HW title fight. Outside of a self inflicted Aspinall injury his 2 most recent wins are Daukus (out of the company) and Rozenstruik who is ranked 12 and hasn't put together 2 consecutive wins in 5 years. There's lots of ranked guys Blaydes can beat so let's see him beat one of them first and earn a title shot.

Jones and Stipe are out for the foreseeable future. Volkov, Pavlovich, and Spivak lost to Aspinall already. Gane, Blaydes, and Almeida are left, they have never fought each other. Just put 2 of them together and winner gets a title shot. Seems pretty straight forward.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So when Ankalaev or Hill eventually win the LHW belt, Paul Craig gets to come up from middleweight and challenge for the belt right? :sarcasm:

Blaydes lost to the loser of the interim HW title fight. Outside of a self inflicted Aspinall injury his 2 most recent wins are Daukus (out of the company) and Rozenstruik who is ranked 12 and hasn't put together 2 consecutive wins in 5 years. There's lots of ranked guys Blaydes can beat so let's see him beat one of them first and earn a title shot.

Jones and Stipe are out for the foreseeable future. Volkov, Pavlovich, and Spivak lost to Aspinall already. Gane, Blaydes, and Almeida are left, they have never fought each other. Just put 2 of them together and winner gets a title shot. Seems pretty straight forward.

That's not the question though - the timing might not work if they want/need an Aspinall title shot in March. So who do you give the title fight of the three?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
That's not the question though - the timing might not work if they want/need an Aspinall title shot in March. So who do you give the title fight of the three?

Reluctantly Almeida out of those 3.

Gane is probably the most exciting match up but he's already had two title shots and lost.

Blaydes needs to put on a bit of a run on before he gets a title shot. The injury early last fight does make it somewhat intriguing to do a rematch.

Almeida is on a good run, but his last victory did him no favours.

I would ideally say two of these have to fight each other before they fight Tom. But if Tom fights in March the timing won't work as you pointed out.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Where does March come into play? Just an arbitrary time frame? If they do want to do it, I don't see it being a huge problem. UFC doesn't care about the time in between fights or prep time as long as the fighter shows up.

Gane last fought in September, no injuries sustained. Almeida fought early November, no injuries sustained, Blaydes got TKOd in April should be ready to go by now. Just pick the 2 that are willing, put them in January 13/20 give them 8/9 weeks to prep (UFC had no problem giving Tom 2/3 for a title). Market it as a #1 contenders fight. Winner gets Aspinall at UFC 300 which could be late March, early April. That's 9/10/11 weeks out. That's plenty.

If they just pick one of these 3 guys to fight Aspinall in March it will be the most lackluster title fight imaginable. These are nice guys who aren't big draws. It's a waste of a title fight to put any of them in it without fighting again. That fight can't headline a PPV. It can co main at best, just like Pavlovich vs Aspinall which was much more exciting than these 3 names.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Reluctantly Almeida out of those 3.

Gane is probably the most exciting match up but he's already had two title shots and lost.

Blaydes needs to put on a bit of a run on before he gets a title shot. The injury early last fight does make it somewhat intriguing to do a rematch.

Almeida is on a good run, but his last victory did him no favours.

I would ideally say two of these have to fight each other before they fight Tom. But if Tom fights in March the timing won't work as you pointed out.

I think out of the 3 somehow Almeida is the most deserving. My other thought would be he was so boring and did so little v Lewis that maybe they just give him the shot as they think it's an easy win for Aspinall. Aspinall can move on probably easily and Almeida likely goes back down to 205lbs for good.

Where does March come into play? Just an arbitrary time frame? If they do want to do it, I don't see it being a huge problem. UFC doesn't care about the time in between fights or prep time as long as the fighter shows up.

Gane last fought in September, no injuries sustained. Almeida fought early November, no injuries sustained, Blaydes got TKOd in April should be ready to go by now. Just pick the 2 that are willing, put them in January 13/20 give them 8/9 weeks to prep (UFC had no problem giving Tom 2/3 for a title). Market it as a #1 contenders fight. Winner gets Aspinall at UFC 300 which could be late March, early April. That's 9/10/11 weeks out. That's plenty.

If they just pick one of these 3 guys to fight Aspinall in March it will be the most lackluster title fight imaginable. These are nice guys who aren't big draws. It's a waste of a title fight to put any of them in it without fighting again. That fight can't headline a PPV. It can co main at best, just like Pavlovich vs Aspinall which was much more exciting than these 3 names.

We both know how it works in the UFC sometimes - they get scrambling for a headliner and need a fight. There are rumors of a London card in March/April and if they turn that into a PPV then Aspinall would be the ideal top fight.

I'm basically just trying to figure out if they decide to book an Aspinall title fight sooner or later who gets the shot. I think Gane/Blaydes/Almeida are the only 3 potential so that's why I narrowed it down to that. And yeah, whoever doesn't get the fight would be fighting each other.

My main issue with giving the fight to Gane would be you are setting up a potential interim Gane v champ Jon Jones rematch which absolutely nobody wants to see. I almost think you need to shelf Gane from the title picture for a bit until they know what Jones' future is.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I think out of the 3 somehow Almeida is the most deserving. My other thought would be he was so boring and did so little v Lewis that maybe they just give him the shot as they think it's an easy win for Aspinall. Aspinall can move on probably easily and Almeida likely goes back down to 205lbs for good.

We both know how it works in the UFC sometimes - they get scrambling for a headliner and need a fight. There are rumors of a London card in March/April and if they turn that into a PPV then Aspinall would be the ideal top fight.

I'm basically just trying to figure out if they decide to book an Aspinall title fight sooner or later who gets the shot. I think Gane/Blaydes/Almeida are the only 3 potential so that's why I narrowed it down to that. And yeah, whoever doesn't get the fight would be fighting each other.

My main issue with giving the fight to Gane would be you are setting up a potential interim Gane v champ Jon Jones rematch which absolutely nobody wants to see. I almost think you need to shelf Gane from the title picture for a bit until they know what Jones' future is.
Also UFC 300 is coming up end of March/April. I know there's rumors Connor going to headline and they usually don't put titles on those cards cause of the PPV points but do interim champs get ppv points?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Also UFC 300 is coming up end of March/April. I know there's rumors Connor going to headline and they usually don't put titles on those cards cause of the PPV points but do interim champs get ppv points?

I don't know about points but I'm sure he would get paid well. They will probably run two PPVs in March.

I do agree with @Taytro if they could rush a #1 contender fight in January then that might work too.

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

My only comment on that is that of the 3 names, Gane is by far the biggest draw at this point. I'm not saying he's a big draw but Almeida and Blaydes do absolutely nothing for a normal fight, let alone a title fight right now. Blaydes has main evented a few fight nights but the highest he's ever been on a PPV is the 2nd fight... Not the co-main... The 2nd fight of the PPV.. Throwing him into a title fight as the co main or main event of UFC 300 while being ranked #5 and coming off a loss to the guy that Aspinall won the belt from? Not a chance that's happening.

Almeida is ranked #7, is undefeated in the UFC but coming off the most boring fight of his career. Has main evented 2 fight nights but hasn't really built any excitement around him. Also does absolutely nothing in a title fight.

Both of these make no sense for the UFC... But then Aspinall just told Gane that he needs to fight Almeida if he wants a title shot ...so... To me, you sit Aspinall until a fight makes sense. Right now it doesn't.

If UFC goes to London in March/April then UFC hopes Leon beats Colby, Patty beats Tony, Paul Craig beats Brendan Allan, and Liam Gary beats Vincente Luque. If what you say is true then it's no coincidence that all the big name UK folks are fighting in November/December so that the UFC has enough guys ready to go for a London date.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I was traveling the weekend of this card, so I waited until it was on ESPN+ last night to watch.

Pereira is incredible. He clearly got fast tracked to the MW title because of his history with Izzy, but he's beat the top guys when he got there. It's kind of like the McGregor rise in the sense that it was obvious what the UFC was doing, but when he got there he proved them right. I thought the stoppage was early, but I can understand it. It didn't look good. He kind of just fell over backwards after getting rocked and then elbowed in the head numerous times. It's not like he jumped guard. Jiri didn't look to be in great shape and I'm not sure if it was the leg kicks or not, but he looked a little stiff. He was kind of putting it on him in the second, though. The early stoppage might actually help him. If he picks up 1 win, they could use that as justification to put him right back into a title fight.

A lot's been made of Pav's power, rightfully so, but Aspinall isn't far behind. Only 1 of his UFC fights made it out of the first. One of these guys was going to land something. Aspinall's movement is better, but Pav was in camp, Aspinall was on short notice and was coming off a significant injury. It was a coin flip for me going in. I had no idea what to expect other than a KO. Aspinall got it done, but if they fought again, I'd still have no idea who to pick.

I seem to be one of the few Stipe fans around here. I not only was fine with him fighting Jones, but I was looking forward to it. Now, though, I just don't think it makes any sense. You're going to keep Aspinall on ice for the next year because you want to do this 'legacy' fight or have him defend an interim belt? I don't know. It takes a lot out of the legacy stuff out of the Jones-Stipe fight when everyone knows there's an interim champ. I think it hurts the excitement around it and would hurt the PPV's, too. I'd do Aspinall-Stipe and the winner gets Jones. If neither Jones or Stipe accepts that, then strip Jones and promote Aspinall to the real champ. Jones and Stipe can fight each other not for the belt if they want.

Dern is just not very good. She's at best plateauing, if not regressing. Very amateur striking and no wrestling. Need at last one or the other to pair with her BJJ to pick up wins against the top of the division. Andrade was an easy pick.

The other 2 fights were exciting for as long as they lasted.

Reactions: Bunk Moreland

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I seem to be one of the few Stipe fans around here. I not only was fine with him fighting Jones, but I was looking forward to it. Now, though, I just don't think it makes any sense. You're going to keep Aspinall on ice for the next year because you want to do this 'legacy' fight or have him defend an interim belt? I don't know. It takes a lot out of the legacy stuff out of the Jones-Stipe fight when everyone knows there's an interim champ. I think it hurts the excitement around it and would hurt the PPV's, too. I'd do Aspinall-Stipe and the winner gets Jones. If neither Jones or Stipe accepts that, then strip Jones and promote Aspinall to the real champ. Jones and Stipe can fight each other not for the belt if they want.

Are you suggesting the UFC strip Jon Jones because.. Stipe Miocic won't fight Tom Aspinall?

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Are you suggesting the UFC strip Jon Jones because.. Stipe Miocic won't fight Tom Aspinall?

I'm pretty sure Stipe would fight Aspinall. At least in an interview Stipe said Aspinall/Pav was never offered to him after Jones injury.

I think Jones only wants to fight Stipe at this point because he wants to pick what he views as biggest reward with smallest risk. Beat the UFC hw GOAT when he's like 3-5 years past his prime to build your legacy.

And the UFC won't offer it to Stipe. Because if they risk Stipe losing to Aspinall, they don't get another Jones fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Jones injury is long-term, no need to strip him. They'll just have Aspinall degree the interim

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Jones injury is long-term, no need to strip him. They'll just have Aspinall degree the interim
If he fights whoever the interim champ is when he gets back, great.

The problem is if the speculation is true that he only wants to fight Stipe.

Reactions: Taytro and m9

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
No, strip him. Having him retain the belt and not fight the interim champion immediately upon his return is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of (almost). It sounds like he's not fighting Aspinall since they're saving Stipe for the Jones fight. Which means well over a year until Aspinall would ever fight Jones? Why have an interim champion if you're letting someone leapfrog the interim champion to fight for the belt, before the interim champion does? Stipe isn't hurt, so if Stipe is the rightful contender he should fight Aspinall. If he doesn't, and he beats Jones when Jones returns (I don't think he will) then what was the point of an interim champion? Does the interim belt get taken away because Stipe is the active champion? It's stupid, if Stipe is good to go... He fights Aspinall then winner fights Jones.

Also, if Jones is fighting Stipe, they don't need to do it for a belt because neither of them deserve it. Neither is active in the HW division. Jones will be inactive longer than he's been in the HW division and he didn't even beat a champion to win the belt. He won a vacant belt in a division he never fought in, so there should be no problem with him vacating it and having him earn it from an actual active champion when he's active again. Just silly to keep a belt on an inactive, injured guy who was gifted a vacant title fight in a division he never fought in before when he's not fighting the interim champ upon his return.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No, strip him. Having him retain the belt and not fight the interim champion immediately upon his return is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of (almost). It sounds like he's not fighting Aspinall since they're saving Stipe for the Jones fight. Which means well over a year until Aspinall would ever fight Jones? Why have an interim champion if you're letting someone leapfrog the interim champion to fight for the belt, before the interim champion does? Stipe isn't hurt, so if Stipe is the rightful contender he should fight Aspinall. If he doesn't, and he beats Jones when Jones returns (I don't think he will) then what was the point of an interim champion? Does the interim belt get taken away because Stipe is the active champion? It's stupid, if Stipe is good to go... He fights Aspinall then winner fights Jones.

Also, if Jones is fighting Stipe, they don't need to do it for a belt because neither of them deserve it. Neither is active in the HW division. Jones will be inactive longer than he's been in the HW division and he didn't even beat a champion to win the belt. He won a vacant belt in a division he never fought in, so there should be no problem with him vacating it and having him earn it from an actual active champion when he's active again. Just silly to keep a belt on an inactive, injured guy who was gifted a vacant title fight in a division he never fought in before when he's not fighting the interim champ upon his return.

We have no idea if he will eventually fight the interim champ. All we know is that he's the champ and he's hurt.

There's been plenty of situations where the #1 contender doesn't get the next shot because of how the timing works out so if there's a brief period where Aspinall fights someone else in like April and then Jones fights Miocic in like July and then Jones/Aspinall happens next November it doesn't really seem like a big deal to me. I'm not advocating having two belts for a prolonged period, but if there's a short-term thing where they try to make this Miocic/Jones fight then I get it and I don't have a big problem with it. It's not my ideal path - would love Aspinall/Miocic and the winner fights Jones - but I get it and it's not a big deal.

Jones also just got hurt like a month ago, I don't know if it's Jon Jones hate or what, but people just need to take a breath here.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I might feel differently if it wasn't already a stretch to give Stipe a title shot at 41 coming off a loss nearly 3 years ago. Throwing in that there is also an interim champ out there is a bridge too far. And I say that as a big Stipe fan.

Reactions: Taytro and m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad