Speculation: UFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
With Erat and Sk gone, along with missing one of the top 3 forwards in the draft, Poile has to sign at least one forward, probably two. Look for him to overpay one of the UFAs, and/or overpay via a trade. Probably offering Brier substantially more than NJ and MTL. He can't open the season without filling the void left by Erat and SK. Discounting last season, these two accounted for a significant amount of our offensive production.

Well, no, he can. We will just be drafting McDavid at next year's draft :yo:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Does Grabo make this team better? Can he be a #1 center. I keep hearing he was misused in Toronto...

He will put up 50 points. Another Legwand but it would allow us to really roll 3 lines of offense and allow one of Legwand or Wilson to go to wing. Grabo also doesn't have that bad of a contract.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Seems like a decent enough player, but with the whole fighting with teammates, getting arrested, and then biting incidents does the management want him?

If true, no way the Preds take this guy. The organization is all about integrity.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
He should clear, then we should go hard at him. It would be the perfect move.This is the type of value pick up that Poile thrives on.

Absolutely agree. But I agree, I don't foresee us taking a chance on Grabo, even though he is exactly the kind of player we need up front at center. It's a tough call. He is slightly overpaid but this gives us a 1b center without giving anything up.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
No reason to let him clear if he is wanted. From a little research the guy is a warrior and was misused in Toronto. Also getting married tomorrow..Lol talk about a wedding crasher...
If Poile wants him he better claim him. I doubt we would win a battle with all the teams that will be in on him.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
If Nashville isn't a "warm climate" then what would you classify it as?

Here, it's classified as a humid subtropical climate, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville,_Tennessee

That sounds like a warm climate to me.

I think weather of a city has little effect on whether or not players sign in your city. $$ talks.
Except in the potential case of Briere, with us offering the most and still getting turned down. And for what it's worth, I don't think this would exactly be the first time we've offered more money to a player and got turned down. I would bet Poile throws around more money than we think he does.

As far as the weather thing...when I personally think of a "warm climate" I think of a place that is mild and temperate for the entire year. Yeah, Southern California and Arizona get a little cool here and there in the winter, but the cities that I think of in that context are much warmer, much more often than Nashville is. But, some people may think differently. As far as how much that has to do with a player's potential playing city, I think players with a family might care a little more about it. They have a wife and kids that have to live in that city even when the player is on the road, and they have a say in it.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Thirdman just trolled the s.h...out of the tor/nsh thread.
Horny for Grabo..
People are going back and forth about value....yada yada.

Thirdman... Looks like he can be had for free...closed....haha

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Preds have #4 waiver priority right? I would LOL if they managed to get both Grabo and Briere. Irony would be SK would pay for half of Grabosky salary

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Poile better claim Grabo. Seriously if he doesn't I will be very disappointed no reason not to, and we won't have a chance if he gets to free agency.

ChesterCopperpot1*

There is NO reason why GMDP shouldn't put in a claim for Grabo. His contract isn't all that bad and he would probably be our top line center. It makes far too much sense which means...GMDP won't do it.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Thirdman just trolled the s.h...out of the tor/nsh thread.
Horny for Grabo..
People are going back and forth about value....yada yada.

Thirdman... Looks like he can be had for free...closed....haha

I get to have a little fun every now and then :P

ChesterCopperpot1*

Except in the potential case of Briere, with us offering the most and still getting turned down. And for what it's worth, I don't think this would exactly be the first time we've offered more money to a player and got turned down. I would bet Poile throws around more money than we think he does.

As far as the weather thing...when I personally think of a "warm climate" I think of a place that is mild and temperate for the entire year. Yeah, Southern California and Arizona get a little cool here and there in the winter, but the cities that I think of in that context are much warmer, much more often than Nashville is. But, some people may think differently. As far as how much that has to do with a player's potential playing city, I think players with a family might care a little more about it. They have a wife and kids that have to live in that city even when the player is on the road, and they have a say in it.

Have you ever been to San Diego? That place rarely seems temperatures north of 80 degrees or south of 60 degrees.

I wouldn't classify it as a warm climate(I think San Diego's climate is awesome TBH). IMO, you can't classify yourself as a warm climate if you walk outside in the summer and don't immediately start sweating at least once.

When I lived in Vegas(BTW, it gets in the 40s pretty regularly during the winter months in Vegas) my girlfriend and I made a weekend trip to San Diego to escape the heat and the difference was 35 degrees as it was 110 in Vegas and 75 in San Diego. But by your logic, San Diego is warm and Vegas isn't because it gets cold in Vegas during the winter and it doesn't in San Diego.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Have you ever been to San Diego? That place rarely seems temperatures north of 80 degrees or south of 60 degrees.

I wouldn't classify it as a warm climate(I think San Diego's climate is awesome TBH). IMO, you can't classify yourself as a warm climate if you walk outside in the summer and don't immediately start sweating at least once.

When I lived in Vegas(BTW, it gets in the 40s pretty regularly during the winter months in Vegas) my girlfriend and I made a weekend trip to San Diego to escape the heat and the difference was 35 degrees as it was 110 in Vegas and 75 in San Diego. But by your logic, San Diego is warm and Vegas isn't because it gets cold in Vegas during the winter and it doesn't in San Diego.

How awesome would it be to be a meterologist in San Diego? You could basically pencil in high of 75 low of 65 and sunny 315 days a year.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

Yes, I used to live in San Diego haha. I'm also looking to get back in a year or so. Once you get away from the coast, it gets into the 80s and 90s frequently. The general toungue-in-cheek rule of thumb is for every mile inland you go, you add one degree to the temperature. I used to go to school in El Cajon which is about 20 miles east of the coast. High 90s to low 100s is common out there. But it's obviously very dry. "Warm" is a general word I'm using. When I think of NHL cities like LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Phoenix, Florida, Tampa I'm thinking of the generally warm and dry climates during the fall/winter/spring, when the player and his family would be living there. If I put myself in one of those above cities (Vegas included) on any typical day throughout hockey season, the odds are it's going to be warmer than it would be in Nashville on any given day. In Nashville, we tend to get excited if it's 70 in January, and when it does, a storm is usually coming the next day. We have our bits and pieces of consistent comfortable weather in the winter, but it's always seemed pretty rare to me.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Leafs buying out Grabovski.

find that hilarious given some of the ridiculous trade requests the TO posters were making..

you want Wilson? Klein?

no thanks we will just try to get him for... NOTHING thank you

edit: and the rumor monger who shall not be named says we are now in on horton, especially if briere doesn't sign with us

Last edited:

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
No reason to let him clear if he is wanted. From a little research the guy is a warrior and was misused in Toronto. Also getting married tomorrow..Lol talk about a wedding crasher...
If Poile wants him he better claim him. I doubt we would win a battle with all the teams that will be in on him.

Completely misused. In fact I'd go so far as to say Carlyle was an utter moron in his use of Grabo.

Grabo would be a great fit for the Preds.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Leafs buying out Grabovski.

find that hilarious given some of the ridiculous trade requests the TO posters were making..

you want Wilson? Klein?

no thanks we will just try to get him for... NOTHING thank you

This is a brutal move by Nonis. This is Grabo's lowest career year offensively, and we was given nearly a minute less in PP time than last year, and was playing 15 minutes a game on the third line.

This is an awful use of a compliance buyout by Nonis. Had he kept him for a year, he'd have reestablished his value no problem.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I think Nonis is looking at the cap lowering, looking at Kadri having such an impressive year, comfortable with Bozak and realizes that he only has the compliance buy outs this year. He has to clear space to make moves. Grabo was just the odd man out. He may have reestablished his value after next season, but if he didn't... well... suddenly Nonis is looking like a fool. It's a gamble for sure, either way.

Mercalius

Apr 23, 2013
I really, really hope we claim Grabovski. Would be a big win IMO even if he's a tad overpaid.

Mercalius

Apr 23, 2013
From Twitter:

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin 13m
Daniel Brière says no decision has been made on a contract but it could come later today.
Retweeted by JoshuaCooper

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I think Nonis is looking at the cap lowering, looking at Kadri having such an impressive year, comfortable with Bozak and realizes that he only has the compliance buy outs this year. He has to clear space to make moves. Grabo was just the odd man out. He may have reestablished his value after next season, but if he didn't... well... suddenly Nonis is looking like a fool. It's a gamble for sure, either way.

If he's comfortable with Bozak, he's already a fool. Plus he still has the option of the compliance buyout for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad