Status
Not open for further replies.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think Vanek might be more realistic than some on here. Here's why.

1) Buffalo wants to trade him, he's in the last year of his contract and they want to get something of value for him.

2) His high salary and cap hit really limit the number of teams he can go to.

I had a 3.....

There is a 3, somewhere.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

1) Buffalo wants to trade him, he's in the last year of his contract and they want to get something of value for him.

I had a 3.....

There is a 3, somewhere.

I agree with this and with only one year remaining before he's a UFA he shouldnt cost a massive amount of assets

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Do you think he resigns here though?

I suspect that before a trade is consummated Poile is allowed to talk to Vaneks agent and find out what it would take. I imagine Poile parts with more assets if he's assured that an extesion will be signed. If not then I think all Buffalo can expect is high-end rental type return, ie, our 2014 1st and a prospect or maybe Blum

Preddownsouth

Feb 20, 2013

I had a 3.....

There is a 3, somewhere.

I think Vanek is a possibility. Sounds like he will be moved. Poile seems to think a forward will probably be found via trade over FA this offseason. I certainly would love to see Poile make this move and sign him to an extension.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Vanek would be great and all, but I don't see Buffalo making a deal that doesn't include one of: our first this year, Colin Wilson, Filip Forsberg

Don't forget that the cap is heading southward by $6 mil. Everyone agrees that he's a great player, but picking up a $7 mil contract is a $13 mil swing from this year (combined decrease and cap hit). That may not be very easy and will most likely drive the price down. Plus, Vanek won't be the only name out there.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Vanek would be great and all, but I don't see Buffalo making a deal that doesn't include one of: our first this year, Colin Wilson, Filip Forsberg

I agree with you. Even if it doesn't take any of those 3 pieces, I'm not sure we're in a position to be trading off assets (which would definitely include a 1st) for what will amount to a rental. If Vanek wants out of Buffalo, it's because he wants to go to a legit contender.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
It is really hard to say this season more than any in the recent offseason who will really be out there. There are plenty of forwards out there that may end up being free agents that can help the Predators. Until free agency hits though we simply don't know the options. It is going to be one crazy offseason and you will see a lot of players get jumbled around through trades and cap casulaties. Should make for a very interesting offseason for sure.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
If Erat could bring in Forsberg, Vanek could easily bring in someone of his caliber or better.

Washington was getting erat for 2 and a half seasons, and is signed for reasonable money and they got Latta too. Plus no pick was involved.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Washington was getting erat for 2 and a half seasons, and is signed for reasonable money and they got Latta too. Plus no pick was involved.
Vanek was on pace for 40 goals, and has already scored 40 twice before that.

He will get more than Erat, even though he has 1 year left.

While the pool of teams will be less with the salary cap, there will still be a huge bidding war. Plus teams have amnesty buyouts if they need to make room.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

I had a 3.....

There is a 3, somewhere.

3) We have a need for a player of his caliber, and Poile may be willing to give up more than other teams.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Vanek also would return a lot in a trade deadline deal. Poile could give up more now knowing that either (1) he signs a long term deal or (2) he gets dealt at the trade deadline (like Jagr this year). The key is Poile could NOT treat him like Suter and Hamhuis and HOPE to sign him at the end of the year.

Still not sure why Buffalo does this unless they want the cash and cap space for a different deal... otherwise, they should just hold and sell later.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Lets not forget that this could be an off-season trade and not a deadline deal. Off-season trades generally cost less especially going into a cap lowering year where teams need to dump some salary to ensure they will be under the cap. If we tossed buffalo some key cheap pieces along with a high pick they'd be tantalized.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I highly encourage anyone who thinks we can get Vanek without giving up Wilson, Forsberg, Josi, or our 1st to go read the Value of: Vanek thread on the trade board. Some of the best offers I've seen:

Ceci+Silfverberg/Conacher+2013 1st
7th overall+Klefbom/Hemsky+Paajarvi

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I highly encourage anyone who thinks we can get Vanek without giving up Wilson, Forsberg, Josi, or our 1st to go read the Value of: Vanek thread on the trade board. Some of the best offers I've seen:

I'm a big fan, but...Geeze...No thank you.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Yeah, it is going to be steep. Basically, what would we have been willing to give up Weber for prior to last season. Perhaps a little less than that, but that's the general ballpark.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
It's important to keep in mind the disconnect between what fans are willing to offer and what GMs are willing to offer, and between what fans want in return and what GMs can get in return. I trust the trade forum for accurate analysis of a player's value about as much as I trust my mom when she tells me I'm a handsome man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad