U18 World Championship Game Discussion

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Game helped again illlustrate the lack of talent in this year's draft. Obvious that the players not draft eligible were the better prospects.

some observations

Korostin = Hudler

Turris - doesn't get enough done. Bounced off puck too easily. Probably ends up a decent NHL winger

Esposito - probably a top 10 choice - looks better than Turris - however question decision making and doesn't protect puck very well - seems prone to turnovers

Gillies - getting himself into back into the mid first round. Excellent skater - scores today if Esposito moves the puck better. Bettter than Sutter right now and in the future

Sutter - very average. Maybe 3rd or 4th line material in the NHL. Don't see how he will ever score much at the pro level. Should really be a late first rounder or second rounder in a decent draft year.

Cherepanov - very smooth skater and passes well. In the right siutation he is a very good player. Should easily be a top 5 choice this year. Better than Turris

Filatov - nice little skater but not good with the physical contact.

Couture - doing nothing to increase draft rating. When this player has moved up in competition never seems to do much.

Negrin - very average - looks to be very fringe NHL material - same for Doyle
Just to offer a different point-of-view, I think Couture did a lot of good things and shows himself to have a good two way game. I don't share your opinion of Sutter. Turris looks very talented to me. I felt he was frequently creating chances. I do agree that Gillies is better than many think.

I hope to post more concrete information after I watch the game (which I taped) a second time and with more attention to detail, but I wanted to offer an alternative opinion now.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Just to offer a different point-of-view, I think Couture did a lot of good things and shows himself to have a good two way game. I don't share your opinion of Sutter. Turris looks very talented to me. I felt he was frequently creating chances. I do agree that Gillies is better than many think.

I hope to post more concrete information after I watch the game (which I taped) a second time and with more attention to detail, but I wanted to offer an alternative opinion now.

I agree about Couture, he did a lot of little thing well, maybe not flashy but he looked to have a solid overall game and his willingness to throw the body caught me by surprise.

Sutter didnt play enough to make any sort of statement, he had maybe 2 or 3 shifts in the first 50 minutes.

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
For the guy who wanted to know canada's next opponent.

Canada face the winner between Slovakia and USA
Sweden face the winner between Swiss and Russia

In fact
1A vs 3A/2B
1B vs 2A/3B

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Game helped again illlustrate the lack of talent in this year's draft. Obvious that the players not draft eligible were the better prospects.

some observations

Korostin = Hudler

Turris - doesn't get enough done. Bounced off puck too easily. Probably ends up a decent NHL winger

Esposito - probably a top 10 choice - looks better than Turris - however question decision making and doesn't protect puck very well - seems prone to turnovers

Gillies - getting himself into back into the mid first round. Excellent skater - scores today if Esposito moves the puck better. Bettter than Sutter right now and in the future

Sutter - very average. Maybe 3rd or 4th line material in the NHL. Don't see how he will ever score much at the pro level. Should really be a late first rounder or second rounder in a decent draft year.

Cherepanov - very smooth skater and passes well. In the right siutation he is a very good player. Should easily be a top 5 choice this year. Better than Turris

Filatov - nice little skater but not good with the physical contact.

Couture - doing nothing to increase draft rating. When this player has moved up in competition never seems to do much.

Negrin - very average - looks to be very fringe NHL material - same for Doyle

Some of your observations are good, but you have to be careful not to extrapolate too much from one viewing, if indeed, this is your only viewing of these players.

One comment, in particular that I don't think is accurate is the one about Couture. He had an excellent world under-17 tournament in Regina (2005-06) and was amazing in the playoffs as a rookie against Peterborough, the eventual OHL champion. He missed last summers under-18 tournament because of an injury.

So, two examples of playing against higher competition where he did raise his level of play and one case where he didn't get the opportunity. When you're evaluating a player, you need to look at his history, not just one tournament.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I'm missing the games these days cause I'm so busy:shakehead

I find it interesting in some of the NHL threads that people seemed to be so focussed on the 09 draft with Travares. The 08 draft looks like it's going to be a special one too judging by what I'm reading about the talent. Good to see Sarnia's Stamkos putting up points in yet another tournament.

Anyone think he has a chance at going to the World Juniors in December? Or will he still be too young? I think an invite at least would be nice.

Looks like next game is Friday-gonna try and actually CATCH this one.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

toastman344*

USA vs. Canada on TSN would be awesome! GO USA!

Considering we won our Pool, and are the only side still undefeated, our semi final opponent doesn't seem all that favorable...We get the winner of Slovakia vs. USA...which I'm quite sure will be the Yanks...EASILY

The USA has won what ? the last 2 U18 WC ‘s? ( and before any of u Yanks go putting down our prospects again...you do know that the CHL playoffs are going on now eh ? )

My point is that ...I'd lay dollars to doughnuts Can, Rus & USA are like 1-2-3 in this tourney in terms of talent ..in no particular order....

Yet the Russians , despite losing to Canada 5-2 ...get in my mind easier opposition to the gold game...( Albeit they must win 2 games ) but still I doubt Swiss or Swedes are close to this Yank team in terms of talent...

US outshot both Russia and Canada fairly decisively, despite 2 close losses to each...Pretty slim reward to our unbeaten kids, to have to face That American Team in the Semis...IMO

Ah Well... GO CANADA EH ! :)

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Im really looking for the usa vs slovakia game tommorow 8AM on tsn lot of interesting player on the usa team (shattenkirk, McDonagh ect) and for slovakia they have a 91born player (probably the youngest player in the tournament) dont remember his name but cant wait.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
cdn - I've seen Turris about 10 times this year in the BCHL and Cherepanov about 6 times on game videos so I am basing it on more than just one game. What the game did is confirm what I've thought. I believe Cherepanov has a better all round game than Turris from everything I've seen and a better upside. If you differ that's fine.

Don't get so up tight - people are are only giving their impressions. Naturally they are open to question.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
cdn - I've seen Turris about 10 times this year in the BCHL and Cherepanov about 6 times on game videos so I am basing it on more than just one game. What the game did is confirm what I've thought. I believe Cherepanov has a better all round game than Turris from everything I've seen and a better upside. If you differ that's fine.

Don't get so up tight - people are are only giving their impressions. Naturally they are open to question.

I agree on Cherepanov being better but i doubt Turris has more ceiling. I think Cherepanov is a player that COULD become a superstar in the right situation...but for a NHL GM point of view maybe Turris would be a safer pick, with Cherep (his true nickname, means skull in russian, not any other americanized thing) being maybe a bit more risky, because he sometimes disappears from the ice and can't do it at his full potential.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Switzerland takes Russia to overtime but loses! What at a bummer. Filatov with OT winner. Seem like a good game to have watched.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Is TSN showing the USA-Slovakia game or not? Anyone know for sure? Past 10:30 it doesn't appear to be on. Must I send angry email? :)

EDIT: According to their webpage the broadcast will begin at 11:30. I thought it began at 10:30. My mistake.

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
Switzerland takes Russia to overtime but loses! What at a bummer. Filatov with OT winner. Seem like a good game to have watched.

The swiss could have won this one! Russia scored the tying goal with 4 minutes left ... This proves that switzerland can compete now with the big 7 (even beat them) at any level (u18, u20, men). It's really a shame they didn't make it to the semifinals.
Congrats team Switzerland!!!!:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

RedAce

Mar 9, 2005
New York, NY
Ok here is the Site with all the pic's from the U18WC
Keep an eye on this site i am sure they will also have all the pic's from the 2007WC
Enjoy!! http://www.imagesonice.net/

If anyone is able to record games of team Russia from this tourney i'd love to get a copy of them.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
3-2 Russia. Comeback :yo:

Sweden took three penalties in about six minutes leading up to the 3rd Russian goal. If they play like that they will certainly lose.

The other game looks interesting. Germany 3-Czech 3 after two periods.

GNick42

Anybody have any opinions on Cole for USA? He looked like their best d-man yesterday despite the presents of their highly rated d-men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad