U18 World Championship Game Discussion

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Sweden - FINLAND 2-1 (1-1, 0-0, 0-0, 0-0)
0-1 03.34 Olavi Vauhkonen (Niko Kluuskeri) PP
1-1 15.24 Jimmy Andersson SH

2-1 65:00 Mikael Backlund (shootouts)

Shots: 32-27

For the 11th time in 13 games Sweden defeated Finland as the U18 WJC started today. Appears to have been a tight game though, as the game was not decided until shootouts after overtime, where Mikael Backlund scored the game-winning penalty shot.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You could tell that it was an U-18 game, lots of nervous play, individual efforts (=puck carrying). Backlund scored the goal with a Forsberg/Jokinen move.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It was a one hour highlight show, they cut most of the second period. I didn't pay much attention to the players, except the Jokerit players. It was anything but an organized game.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Could you tell us about individual performance. Who stood out?

Both goalies were the key players.

Out of the Finns Lucenius was the one that was able to create quality scoring chances throughout the game and I also liked how Roppo and Lähde rushed aggressively into the goal. The third line (of Jokerit players) also played well - at least in the first period. PP did not work at all.

I have so little knowledge about the Swedish youngsters, so it is hard to point out anyone espesially. Backlund´s shootout goal was nice.

Incarnation

Dec 29, 2005
Finland
Both goalies were the key players.

I disagree. Swedish goalie Owyua dropped a lot of rebounds and seemed quite nervous. Instead, team Finland goalie Säteri really impressed me. He was very solid, reliable and calm in his work and it seemed to be quite hard to cover his sight, for he always found a hole where he could see the puck. Active, but still calm style to pick up pucks. Reminded me of Kiprusoff... ;)

But in all other parts of the game team Sweden was better.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
I disagree. Swedish goalie Owyua dropped a lot of rebounds and seemed quite nervous.

True, but he still managed to stop the puck except one and neutralized all the efforts from Finnish players in the shootout. It is fair to say that he was a key player for his team after that kind of result.

Joretus

Sweden were a lot better team, but imho Finland had two players who stood out. Säteri&Lucenius. As I did predict before games, Finland will have to rely(once again...) to goalie and hope some random scoring chances. Lucenius were quite alone when going, but still managed to challenge quite well.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
The U18 World Junior Championship is under way!

Follow the games online here: http://www.iihf.com/Hydra/Tournamen...e/jsp/content/web_output/index.jsp@compId=109

...and discuss the games in this thread.

(thread will be merged with existing U18 WJC thread if limited interest to discuss the games...)

We have four scouts in Finland for the tournament. We will be posting daily updates of some of their observations on our website in a new feature called Bird Dog 'Blog. www.isshockey.com

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Interestingly enough, all four goals for the Czechs today were scored by players born in 1990.
Aside from Ruzicka (and Roman?), that seems to be where their talent lies. I'm curious about Stepan Novotny, one of the goal scorers who is a late 90 and thus not eligible until 2009. He plays at Shattuck St. Mary's which seems like a most unusual circumstance. Can anyone tell me more about him?

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
How many of the Top Ten for the draft are playing in the U18 games?
I don't pretend this is an authoritative top 10, but:

Kane - No
Turris - Yes
Voracek - No
Couture - Yes
Cherepanov - Yes
Esposito - Yes
Alzner - No
Van Riemsdyk - Yes
Gagner- N0
Who should be 10? Maybe Sutter - Yes

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
I don't pretend this is an authoritative top 10, but:

Kane - No
Turris - Yes
Voracek - No
Couture - Yes
Cherepanov - Yes
Esposito - Yes
Alzner - No
Van Riemsdyk - Yes
Gagner- N0
Who should be 10? Maybe Sutter - Yes

Thanks I am a Chicago fan so that will work. Does anyone know how Turris has looked today. I think he has to play good in this tournement since he played against a lower level of talent, to be considered for the top pick. The players that intrest me the most are Kane, Voracek, Cherepanov, and Turris. I wish Voracek was playing in this since I think his team is about ready to be eleminated from the playoffs. But at least Turris and Cherepanov are playing.

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
Turris didnt get any point today... I didnt see the game tho. I would like to see how Marc Katic played too if someone saw this game!
I saw that but I was wondering if somebody watch the game and could tell me how he looked. I want to see how he matches up against the higher level talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad