U18 World Championship Game Discussion

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Any chance that someone will be posting clips like they did from the semis.

Please note that these may not work with Windows Media Player, downloading VLC media player may be required.

2:1 - Loktionov (Kugryshev, Voinov)
2:2 - Korostin (Kagarlitsky)
3:3 - Kugryshev (Filatov)
4:3 - Klyukin (Andronov, Korostin)
5:4 - Cherepanov (Karamnov, Petrov)
6:4 - Averin (Kulikov)
Final - Celebrations

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
i have to agree with u he will be drafted very hight but as usual when he gets to the nhl he's gona fall

Hedman has great potential. Fantastic skater for 196 and almost 100 kg.
If he coninues his deveompent he will be TOP 3 in 2009, and will have bright future.

Faktisti*

Hedman has great potential. Fantastic skater for 196 and almost 100 kg.
If he coninues his deveompent he will be TOP 3 in 2009, and will have bright future.

that actually doenst sound very bright if u are only fast in that age. u win everyone with your speed but when u go to NHL u realize, that there are other fast players but they can also handle the puck very well. if u want to succeed u have to had also quick hands!

RLM6628

Apr 14, 2007
Congrats Russia. Any chance to get the US goals uploaded also? Not one game was shown on US tv.

RLM6628

Apr 14, 2007
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?No offense - Shattenkirk the best D-man? Look at the videos

Imo, it's ok. Shattenkirk was easily the best D-man I've seen here.. He played a lot in every situation and was very solid. Only Voinov was close, in my opinion, at least in this game, but he is year younger.

JVR was amazing and now I become fan of his game too - amazing combination of drive, energy, skills and poise :) there is noting wrong with this selection..

Take a look at the videos that are uploaded to these pages. Shattenkirk was on the ice for all but 2 goals. He got juked and out played and perhaps over played again. Again - this is from the video of the Russians scoring. He may had some awsome playing, but it when the goals are scored and who is on the ice that matters. Shattenkirk and the few regular on his line where on out there when the goals were scored. Would like to see who is on the ice when USA scored - he may or may not have been present for that. Shattenkirk was -3, along with O'Brien. The worst on the +/-. :rant:

Russian goal number 5 - Shattenkirk fell when Russia scored - it was his man who scored. :rant:
Russian goal number 6 - Shaatenkirk's man also scored for Russia. :cry:
Russian goal number 2, Shattenkirk man redirted the puck and score, right BEHIND Shattenkirk. :rant:
Russian goal number 4, Shattenkirk's man passed to fellow player right passed Shattenkirk and the Russian scored. Lack of effort of Shattenkirk part. :amazed:

View the videos. Please save me the "Shattenkirk was awesome" bit. He should of played less and put some one in who was "on" for the game.

Again Rolston played his "little gem" and perhaps over played him. I think he may have a good series in the U 18, but NOT the game against Russian, he was detrimental to the US play and was a major reason they lost the game. Rolston

View the videos to determine for yourself.

Again Russian congrat on a great same.:handclap:

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Scouting Reports from the Canada-Russia game in the round robin. Yes, that game is old news, but it takes me a few days to watch the games on tape and make notes about some of the players.

In all I watched this game (on TV) three times, once for fun, once to watch Canada, once to watch Russia.

I paid more careful attention to the Russian prospects (whom I was watching for the first time) so I only list my impressions for them (and some general impressions for the Canadians). I was primarily interested in certain players, not necessarily the top prospects.

I'm just a fan so take it with a grain of salt. If anyone finds them helpful let me know. I would be happy to post some more impressions as I get to watching the other games over the next few days. :)

Russia:

Maxim Goncharov:
I was surprised by how little ice time he seemed to be getting, although he seemed to get more as the game progressed...Was able and willing to compete physically with the Canadian forwards, hard to knock off the puck, looked strong...Showed an eagerness to jump into the rush on more than one occasion...Showed some creativity with a couple of risky backhand passes, once in his own zone...his other backhand pass was on the offence and almost led to a scoring chance...was too soft on Turris, alllowing him out of the corner and to the net, just laying a useless/lazy stick on him...tried a couple of homerun passes, one missed, one didn't...

Vitaly Karamnov:
Stuck his leg out and drove for the net on the rush...took a penalty for punching Couture after whistle in an attempt to defend his goalie, did the same thing later but didn't get a penalty that time...was always involved in the defence but seemed to be lurking in the slot waiting for loose pucks, didn't make phyiscal contact with opposing forwards, allowed Stamkos to skate past him unmolested leading to a goal for Canada...made a nice turnover with a poke check and gained the zone only to give it back by telegraphing his pass...

Sergei Korostin:
quick stickhandler...carried the puck a lot and showed an ability to avoid the first check or two but then would get knocked down and lose the puck, this happened several times...his shots came from outside near the boards...turned the puck over in the defensive because he shied away from a check...showed quick hand/eye to deflect the 2nd Russian goal into the net

Egor Averin:
Showed an ability to shake a checker with shifty moves...grabbed a puck in the slot and got the shot off quickly...carried the puck into the zone a lot like Korostin, but didn't get knocked down so much, but still didn't really make plays...on the PP he liked to skate toward the blueline, spin into the middle of the ice and shoot on net...

Evgeni Dadonov:
A mature response to getting hit, bounced right back up and usually kept the puck...fought hard for the puck on the boards...kept his feet moving all the time...picked up the puck in his own zone past a pinching Negrin, gained the zone, dragged the puck and used the dman as a screen to score the first Russian goal with a nice shot...

Canada: General Impressions

Negrin was a pleasant surprise for me, playing a very solid game in his own end it seemed to me. Gillies, Couture, Sutter, all do a bunch of things well, they seem like smart players. Gillies really loves to hit, I hadn't fully realised that before. Cann is good positionally but seemed to lose the puck after he made his saves.

Very impressed with Boychuk and Stamkos, although I'm not concentrating on the 2008 players. Schenn also impressed me. Doughty even moreso.

pouskin74*

Agree. The most dissapointing is that Sweden defeated Russia month ago 8-2.

They just been too nervous in game against Russia. 3 of 5 russian goals were absolutely brutal.:shakehead

as you sad dear friend:sarcasm: that was a month ago:D

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
its funny when sweden got the best swedish age and they fall like this, sweds wont get another change

1989 isn't the best age. Look at roster there were 5 1990 players. 1990 isn't bad age for Sweden, 1991 lookjs even better.

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
As an *ahem*older fan, I find it pretty impressive with the advent of Utube that anyone can become an amateur scout for many a prospect and give their opinions. Normally we wouldn't see most of Euro talent unless it was a nationally televised tournament-now anyone can utube a particular player and do some scouting. Neat :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->