U18 World Championship Game Discussion

CraigC

Feb 22, 2006
Burlington
4-2 Canada.

Koroshin finishes off the play. Point shot was tipped at the side by Petrov, went across to Koroshin for the open net.

Russia going to the PP, as Couture gets called for Kneeing

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
Cherepanov got 2 chances but nopthing big. He isnt dominant out there.

I'm not impress by Gilles at all... He doesnt look really good. Espo step it up tho he played a lot better. Gotta love Doughty this guy is a stud! I think he'll be a franchise d-man. He's phisical, good shot good speed good vision. Maybe he needs to improve his defensive coverage a bit but overall hes great.

Arniel and Stomkos got some good chances in the 2ne too. Arniel got robbed by the post!

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
Katic played great in the first period,havent seen him after that.(very good rush, nice pinch, unbelievable first pass, excellent pass on pp while looking away :) )

Gillies plays hard,forecheck hard, shoots and makes nice passes.

Schenn is so dominant in his zone.

Nice pk job by Fortier and Turris.

Cherepanov is pretty invisible, goncharov had some nice flashes, petrov made a lot of mistakes,filatov is pretty good with his stick.

Averin looks lost on the ice. Esposito scored a beauty,nice individual effort.

Macman

May 15, 2004
5-2 Canada. Stamkos on a rocket from the top of the faceoff circle during a powerplay in the opening minute of the third. Wow, Stamkos is impressive.

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
1st Russia goal Negrin pinched in and missed the puck which led to the 2 on 1 goal against. Arniel capitalized on a poor neutral-zone turnover to convert on a nice shot though the tender's arm.

They looked prerry even through the first period, and when Couture levelled a Russain behind the offensive net it caused the whole bench to jump up and cheer & gave them a big lift.

That momentum seemed to carry over into period two where Canada dominated. The Stamkos-Arniel-Boychuk line is flying and seem unstoppable. Cann is solid although a few shots have trickled off of him past the side of the net.

Great PK by Canada so far as Russia is 0 for 5. Stamkos with a 3rd period laser-beam top right corner on a 4 on 3 PP. Looks to be over at this point. Great job Canada!

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
i thought espisito was the best player out there today. First time i have seen him play and he was very good.

Well, he scored a nice goal... with his own talent only. He had a 2vs1 with Gillies,.. didnt pass.. then.. shoot a weak shot on the chest... not very good.

Scouts have some doubts about his lateral vision and his hockey sense. When you watch esposito, you see there's something missing.. he's not a complete guy. He's not using his team-mates like he should.

Missed many opportunities on pp.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
Well, he scored a nice goal... with his own talent only. He had a 2vs1 with Gillies,.. didnt pass.. then.. shoot a weak shot on the chest... not very good.

Scouts have some doubts about his lateral vision and his hockey sense. When you watch esposito, you see there's something missing.. he's not a complete guy. He's not using his team-mates like he should.

Missed many opportunities on pp.

He tried to pass it but the puck rolled off his stick. After that Gilles was already gone so his only option was to shoot it.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
i thought doughty dominated this game, and the Stamkos line was great. Cherry played well but really soft and really limited minutes..

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
How has Thomas McCollum played in goal for the U.S.? His Guelph
Storm teammates Jamie Arniel and Drew Doughty seem to be having astrong tournament for Canada. Is it not unusual for a Canadian junior team member to be playing for the U.S. at this tournament?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Storm teammates Jamie Arniel and Drew Doughty seem to be having astrong tournament for Canada. Is it not unusual for a Canadian junior team member to be playing for the U.S. at this tournament?

he didnt have a great start to the tournament and has only played one game. josh unice is the starter right now and is doing well.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002

Lost the starting role after a poor showing in the first game against Russia. Josh Unice took over and I doubt McCollum will get another shot considering how solid Unice has been.

I'm amazed how well Unice has played in international games this year. He had a 1.60 GAA and a .942 Save % in 5 previous games this year and so far in the WJ's he's got a 1.30 GAA and .952 Save % in his 3 games. He hasn't been nearly as good statistically in the other games.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Lost the starting role after a poor showing in the first game against Russia. Josh Unice took over and I doubt McCollum will get another shot considering how solid Unice has been.

I'm amazed how well Unice has played in international games this year. He had a 1.60 GAA and a .942 Save % in 5 previous games this year and so far in the WJ's he's got a 1.30 GAA and .952 Save % in his 3 games. He hasn't been nearly as good statistically in the other games.

i have been thinking about where he will get picked the last feaw days. with he solid play in the wjc i project him in the late third to early fourth round.

im still wondering why brad phillips didnt make the team. does anyone have an answer on this???

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
A few impressions..

Stamkos was by far the best player on the ice. Huge shot, feather precision passes, and great hockey sense. This guy is a player and as an Oiler fan, I can only wish he were available this year (although I think he would go first overall).

Turris looked good as a smart two-way player. Good wheels, darty, and strong hockey sense. He'll need to get much, much stronger. Solid game. Couture looked pretty good early and seemed to fade.

Doughty was impressive on the back end. Great size and abilities. Went for a big open ice hit that could have cost his team. But generally you have to love that aggressiveness.

Disappointed in Sutter. Esposito was just okay.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
A few impressions..

Stamkos was by far the best player on the ice. Huge shot, feather precision passes, and great hockey sense. This guy is a player and as an Oiler fan, I can only wish he were available this year (although I think he would go first overall).

Turris looked good as a smart two-way player. Good wheels, darty, and strong hockey sense. He'll need to get much, much stronger. Solid game. Couture looked pretty good early and seemed to fade.

Doughty was impressive on the back end. Great size and abilities. Went for a big open ice hit that could have cost his team. But generally you have to love that aggressiveness.

Disappointed in Sutter. Esposito was just okay.

Did he actually play? ;) I don't think he had more than a handful of shifts in the game.
From playing on the top line last year as an underager to being the spare forward this year, I doubt that this will help his draft status.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Game helped again illlustrate the lack of talent in this year's draft. Obvious that the players not draft eligible were the better prospects.

some observations

Korostin = Hudler

Turris - doesn't get enough done. Bounced off puck too easily. Probably ends up a decent NHL winger

Esposito - probably a top 10 choice - looks better than Turris - however question decision making and doesn't protect puck very well - seems prone to turnovers

Gillies - getting himself into back into the mid first round. Excellent skater - scores today if Esposito moves the puck better. Bettter than Sutter right now and in the future

Sutter - very average. Maybe 3rd or 4th line material in the NHL. Don't see how he will ever score much at the pro level. Should really be a late first rounder or second rounder in a decent draft year.

Cherepanov - very smooth skater and passes well. In the right siutation he is a very good player. Should easily be a top 5 choice this year. Better than Turris

Filatov - nice little skater but not good with the physical contact.

Couture - doing nothing to increase draft rating. When this player has moved up in competition never seems to do much.

Negrin - very average - looks to be very fringe NHL material - same for Doyle

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
Game helped again illlustrate the lack of talent in this year's draft. Obvious that the players not draft eligible were the better prospects.

some observations

Korostin = Hudler

Turris - doesn't get enough done. Bounced off puck too easily. Probably ends up a decent NHL winger

Esposito - probably a top 10 choice - looks better than Turris - however question decision making and doesn't protect puck very well - seems prone to turnovers

Gillies - getting himself into back into the mid first round. Excellent skater - scores today if Esposito moves the puck better. Bettter than Sutter right now and in the future

Sutter - very average. Maybe 3rd or 4th line material in the NHL. Don't see how he will ever score much at the pro level. Should really be a late first rounder or second rounder in a decent draft year.

Cherepanov - very smooth skater and passes well. In the right siutation he is a very good player. Should easily be a top 5 choice this year. Better than Turris

Filatov - nice little skater but not good with the physical contact.

Couture - doing nothing to increase draft rating. When this player has moved up in competition never seems to do much.

Negrin - very average - looks to be very fringe NHL material - same for Doyle

Let me get this straight. You are determining what kind of an NHL player a guy is going to be based on one game against the Russians at the u-18 tournament? Turris is a going to be a decent NHL winger but not as good as Cherepanov because of what you saw yesterday? You must be one hell of a scout to be able to conclude that based on one game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad