Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - V - warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Since losing to Buffalo Tuuka has given up 3 or more goals in 4 of the last 6 games. Save percentage is 888

He needs to get going again. Otherwise play Dobby more

Reactions: fin8

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Since losing to Buffalo Tuuka has given up 3 or more goals in 4 of the last 6 games. Save percentage is 888

He needs to get going again. Otherwise play Dobby more

While that is all true , Dobby has had 3 bad games in a row now. It just seems everyone save a few (with the exception of last game) is struggling now.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Bounces were bound to start going the other way after the long run they had.
Why are we surprised he is isn't consistent in his play. But he should be as one of the top paid goalkeepers in the league.
Good, the bad and the ugly

Reactions: Thrive

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Sorry if I'm late to the punch here or if this is off topic but, I just found out Rask has a younger brother who's a center.

He was drafted 7th round in 2010 by the preds and had minimal playing time in NA. I think it would be interesting if Boston tried to bring him over here using Tuks as a plus for him. He's not amazing but he's pretty solid based on his numbers. Not sure what his contract is or if he still has right to Nashville. Anyway, just a random thought.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Curious why people think that when fans hope for a bit more out of Rask, it's "hating". I don't hate Rask at all. But he's the 3rd highest paid goalie in the league. We want him playing peak hockey in March/April/May. He's gotta find his A game because Tampa and Toronto can flat out put the puck in the net.

To beat either he's going to have to be better. To beat BOTH back to back, he's probably going to need to play some of his best hockey ever. That's not what we're saying day to day right now.

is that hate?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Curious why people think that when fans hope for a bit more out of Rask, it's "hating". I don't hate Rask at all. But he's the 3rd highest paid goalie in the league. We want him playing peak hockey in March/April/May. He's gotta find his A game because Tampa and Toronto can flat out put the puck in the net.

To beat either he's going to have to be better. To beat BOTH back to back, he's probably going to need to play some of his best hockey ever. That's not what we're saying day to day right now.

is that hate?
The Bs have put up 6 straight wins with a slew of key players out, all of whom are massively important defenders. The defense has looked like a train wreck at times during that period, yet the Bs have still won 6 in a row. Not saying Tuukka has been perfect, but he does look a good bit better, as do all goalies, when the D isn't playing like crap.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
The Bs have put up 6 straight wins with a slew of key players out, all of whom are massively important defenders. The defense has looked like a train wreck at times during that period, yet the Bs have still won 6 in a row. Not saying Tuukka has been perfect, but he does look a good bit better, as do all goalies, when the D isn't playing like crap.
Also we know Tuukka is dealing with something, we don't know how bad it was but he has been questionable so even if he is feeling alright to play its very possible he isn't 100 percent right now.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017

is that hate?
Do not try to reason with them.

16th in GAA now. Not that I really care, it's about what he does in the playoffs for me. But If I don't mention it, nobody will.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Also we know Tuukka is dealing with something, we don't know how bad it was but he has been questionable so even if he is feeling alright to play its very possible he isn't 100 percent right now.
How do we know that and why is he playing if he is knicked up? Were pretty locked in to #2 spot why not rest him

Reactions: pineapplestastegood

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

is that hate?

Do you read the posts from the handful of people that only post when he has a bad game? That literally never ever give him credit for anything? Those are the haters. No one is calling you a Rask hater. I don't know why this is so hard for people to grasp. Maybe you've got all those posters on ignore

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Hard to deny Rask hasn't played well lately. The overall season numbers are still pretty decent, but he's shown signs of slipping in recent weeks and it's a definite cause for concern.

Hopefully he figures it out by the playoffs and is on form. I'm not sure we have the depth to get anywhere without a Tuukka Rask who's on his A game.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Do you read the posts from the handful of people that only post when he has a bad game? That literally never ever give him credit for anything? Those are the haters. No one is calling you a Rask hater. I don't know why this is so hard for people to grasp. Maybe you've got all those posters on ignore
There are handfuls of those people on both sides. Neither extreme is right. I've had perfectly legitimate criticisms of Rask, which I've backed up with facts and statsistics, and have given him credit when he deserves it, and am still labeled a Rask hater. I also have gone out of my way to continue to post when allowed, about my consistency with my opinion, even when he was playing well. It hasn't changed. It has been made pretty clear though that differing opinions and healthy debate aren't welcome on here, so I've stopped posting in this thread for the most part and will revisit it at the end of the season. He's been slipping for weeks now and I haven't made one "told you so" post about it.

Hard to deny Rask hasn't played well lately. The overall season numbers are still pretty decent, but he's shown signs of slipping in recent weeks and it's a definite cause for concern.

Hopefully he figures it out by the playoffs and is on form. I'm not sure we have the depth to get anywhere without a Tuukka Rask who's on his A game.
Rask usually breaks down as the season goes on, when he has to play a lot of games. Khudobin has been a more than formidable backup this year and has allowed Rask to rest more than ever. Down the stretch, I wouldn't be opposed to switching goalies every other game, even giving Khudobin a couple games in a row here and there, with how brutal of a schedule the rest of the way is. Their spot is pretty much locked up, home ice one way or another isn't really important in hockey, certainly not as important as being as fresh as possible. That should be the priority. For them to go as far as they possibly can, having Rask at the top of his game is vital. Though honestly it wouldn't shock me to see Khudobin go on a ridiculous playoff run either if Rask happened to get injured. We've seen it with backup goalies before.

If Rask is "playing hurt" right now, then he shouldn't be playing. They're not desperate.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I agree that Dobby is an excellent backup. We're lucky to have him. If he can rest Rask extensively towards the end of this season it could go a long way to getting us over the hump.

By some measurements Dobby is actually playing slightly better than Rask this year, although obviously being the backup that's affected by small sample size.

I have no problem expecting the Bruins to win with Khudobin in net, and I honestly wonder about the possibility of sneaking him into a playoff game or two if the series is going our way.

If Rask is having stamina issues then the usual iron-man formula for the playoffs where only the "starter" starts may not be the right idea, and Dobby might be up to the task of stealing a playoff game or two. it's something to think about.

Reactions: fin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad