Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - V - warning in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I don’t care about that. It is the folks in here that are seeing winning and used to complaining about losing
I disagree with this. I think it's fair to note the cracks in the foundation, even while things are going well. The alternative is spending a lot of time living in denial about ongoing issues.

Rask is in a minor slump that uis being covered by the offense for the moment. I think it's more likely that Rask returns to form than that the offense continues to produce at a 6 point per game pace, but since we don't know why Rask is having an issue, it's hard to say whether and when he's going to pull out of it.

I mean if it's fatigue that's one thing, roll Dobby out there for awhile. More likely it's a minor injury though -- you can probably count the number of NHL players who don't have at least some kind of minor injury at this point of the season with the fingers on on zero hands.

That being the case it's a question of how best to manage the problem for the rest of the season, and Khudobin's solid numbers so far this year put him in the mix as a potential partial solution to this question.

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
I disagree with this. I think it's fair to note the cracks in the foundation, even while things are going well. The alternative is spending a lot of time living in denial about ongoing issues.

Rask is in a minor slump that uis being covered by the offense for the moment. I think it's more likely that Rask returns to form than that the offense continues to produce at a 6 point per game pace, but since we don't know why Rask is having an issue, it's hard to say whether and when he's going to pull out of it.

I mean if it's fatigue that's one thing, roll Dobby out there for awhile. More likely it's a minor injury though -- you can probably count the number of NHL players who don't have at least some kind of minor injury at this point of the season with the fingers on on zero hands.

That being the case it's a question of how best to manage the problem for the rest of the season, and Khudobin's solid numbers so far this year put him in the mix as a potential partial solution to this question.

Look at the lineup and factor in new players and back to back games and you tell me what the problem is? I know but do you ?

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
All goalies slump, even the elite ones like Rask. Better now than in 5 weeks.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
How do we know that and why is he playing if he is knicked up? Were pretty locked in to #2 spot why not rest him
We know he is knicked up because he was questionable for the last couple of games with how he was feeling the determining factor. I agree it would be a good idea to get him a couple of games rest, it would be a good idea to get Zane a couple of game too IMO if he might be taking over for Khudobin next season.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
We know he is knicked up because he was questionable for the last couple of games with how he was feeling the determining factor. I agree it would be a good idea to get him a couple of games rest, it would be a good idea to get Zane a couple of game too IMO if he might be taking over for Khudobin next season.

Yep; I was just going to question the 100% status of his health. I think this is what's going on.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
We have to face something like Toronto/Tampa/Pits or Toronto/Tampa/Was as a playoff gauntlet. We're most likely going to draw 3 of the top 5 offences in the NHL no matter how you slice it.

And people want to know why some people want to talk about goaltending? Uhhh, really? Believe me it's not JUST goaltending. The D isn't helping things either. But I hope we don't live in some sort of bizarro echo chamber where a win streak means we're muzzled talking about anything at all. Rask's going to have to be better. If it's injuries, it's injuries. But not talking about it won't change the fact that we're on a collision course with those top offences.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
At least if he plays like **** in the playoffs, Cassidy won't hesitate to pull him. If that happens, l hope Dobby steals the show, and stays between the pipes.

Here's one of the real Rask haters who never has a good thing to say about the guy and only shows up to bitch and moan

Reactions: Pia8988

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
We have to face something like Toronto/Tampa/Pits or Toronto/Tampa/Was as a playoff gauntlet. We're most likely going to draw 3 of the top 5 offences in the NHL no matter how you slice it.

And people want to know why some people want to talk about goaltending? Uhhh, really? Believe me it's not JUST goaltending. The D isn't helping things either. But I hope we don't live in some sort of bizarro echo chamber where a win streak means we're muzzled talking about anything at all. Rask's going to have to be better. If it's injuries, it's injuries. But not talking about it won't change the fact that we're on a collision course with those top offences.

The only thing we know is that we're most likely going to face Toronto in round 1. It's beyond silly to assume anything beyond that matchup.

As for drawing 3 of the top 5 offenses, the B's have a better offense than Toronto and Pittsburgh. They've got a better defense than all of them. Why are we treating the Bruins like they're some fluke who is scraping by and barely getting in to matchup with powerhouses? These teams should be just as afraid of facing us (maybe more in some teams' cases) as we are of facing them.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The issue is that some hope for a player to fail. Only show up here when a player is struggling. Or the team is struggling. Then get in an endless loop of redundancy spamming GDT and other threads.
Until the player or team rights itself. Then its disappeared time again.

That to me isnt much of a fan. As well as it can be interpreted as trolling the site if in fact that is the breadth of posting history.
Better suited for main board than a team board.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Kind of interesting. The last couple of seasons, I was a staunch defender of Tuukka Rask, but am pretty critical of him this year. People have acted like he's had a sudden "comeback" from the last couple of seasons which I really do not see (nor do the stats).

I think he's possibly the best goalie in the league when truly engaged, but he seems to stick directly to fundamentals at times without putting in the extra effort. He gets beat a ton from the blue line solely because he's not looking through the screen.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The issue is that some hope for a player to fail. Only show up here when a player is struggling. Or the team is struggling. Then get in an endless loop of redundancy spamming GDT and other threads.

That to me isnt much of a fan. As well as it can be interpreted as trolling the site if in fact that is the breadth of posting history.

Be curious to know who you're talking about. Because if you mean me, that's simply patently false. If I need to compile all the player threads where I heap praise on players or coaches, I'm happy to.

Reactions: pineapplestastegood

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Rask is 28-11-4. Is 0.06 under his career GAA and 0.04 under his career SV% this season. The team has been missing the league's best defensive forward and the best rookie d-man, yet still 6-0 in its last 6, despite having swiss cheese defense during that stretch. Glad this thread has graduated from whining about Rask when the team isn't winning, to whining about Tuukka when the team is on a 6 game win streak amidst lineup shakeups and injury. Great job everyone! Glad people aren't watching other hot teams like the Preds, who are healthy and have been on a tear yet their goalies are giving up softies despite having healthy stud defenses in front of them. Congrats! Please move your tassel from the right side of your cap to the left and collect your diploma.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
It's quite remarkable how the thought process in here works.

If the team loses 6 in a row and the games are mostly 1-0 losses, do we have a goaltending conversation? If the team wins while letting in 3-5 a game during a 6 game win streak, is there a conversation to be had about goaltending?

The first issue here is deciding that W's and L's are what makes a topic worthy of talking about. That in itself is an absurd way to dictate what people can and can't talk about on a message board. Because it starts by assuming that people are somehow upset or disappointed in the 6 game win streak. lol who thinks that? The streak is awesome, hell the SEASON is awesome. Changes nothing to the anticipation now of 7 game wars against good teams. For the time being we're not going to get to duck a good team round 1. So we talk about it.

This is not peak Rask. Talking about why and what if is what we do on message boards.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017

But even when someone gives credit to the player/team when they're playing well, or explicitly says that even though their opinion is negative that they hope they're proven wrong, then when they are consistent with their opinion and are openly stating that they are posting so as not to be labeled an "only shows up when ____ is struggling" later on when it turns, then even that is considered trolling. That's the environment that's created when any unpopular post is deemed trolling, no matter how many facts or statistics you give to support your opinion.

So those people who only show up when the player is struggling have no choice, because if they show up and give their take any other time, their posting privileges are either revoked, or they are bombarded with personal insults. And when I say "those people", that's not a cute way of me saying "me", because I am in the first group I mentioned - I show up regardless and am consistent with my opinion. I post it so that I'm not labeled an "only show up when they struggle" person. But when I do that, then it's handled the way it's handled. It deters and penalizes civilized debate, which is the entire point of the board.

It also exists in the positive crowd as well. There are a billion snarky "how do you like Rask now?" kind of posts when he's playing well, as if any criticism from when he wasn't playing well, was not legitimate. Those people aren't around when he struggles. It exists on both sides and neither should be taken seriously or accepted, but one side is, for whatever reason.

Rask is 28-11-4. Is 0.06 under his career GAA and 0.04 under his career SV% this season. The team has been missing the league's best defensive forward and the best rookie d-man, yet still 6-0 in its last 6, despite having swiss cheese defense during that stretch. Glad this thread has graduated from whining about Rask when the team isn't winning, to whining about Tuukka when the team is on a 6 game win streak amidst lineup shakeups and injury. Great job everyone! Glad people aren't watching other hot teams like the Preds, who are healthy and have been on a tear yet their goalies are giving up softies despite having healthy stud defenses in front of them. Congrats! Please move your tassel from the right side of your cap to the left and collect your diploma.
Legitimately nobody is whining and everyone who has said he's struggled has pretty much admitted that they don't care what he does in the regular season as long as he is good in the playoffs. The discussion right now isn't even about his struggles, it's about that if he's hurt, then they should just play Khudobin because they aren't in a position of desperation. They can afford to rest Rask, and they should, considering he's shown signs in the past of breaking down at the end of seasons when he's overworked (as most goalies do).

It's quite remarkable how the thought process in here works.

If the team loses 6 in a row and the games are mostly 1-0 losses, do we have a goaltending conversation? If the team wins while letting in 3-5 a game during a 6 game win streak, is there a conversation to be had about goaltending?

The first issue here is deciding that W's and L's are what makes a topic worthy of talking about. That in itself is an absurd way to dictate what people can and can't talk about on a message board. Because it starts by assuming that people are somehow upset or disappointed in the 6 game win streak. lol who thinks that? The streak is awesome, hell the SEASON is awesome. Changes nothing to the anticipation now of 7 game wars against good teams. For the time being we're not going to get to duck a good team round 1. So we talk about it.

This is not peak Rask. Talking about why and what if is what we do on message boards.
You can't reason with them. Any even slight criticism, no matter how warranted, is automatically "HATE" and you're negative and are whining and blah blah blah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrive
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->