Confirmed with Link: Turris to NSH for Girard, Kamenev, and a 2nd

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Bottom line is, we are loaded at center for the conceivable future. Kamanev(had he stayed) and any other Preds prospects playing center in the AHL or Europe will either need to learn to play as a wing in the NHL or plan on waiting a minimum of 4 years before an NHL center spot is available.

Kamanev obviously didn't need to be kept hanging around waiting for something to open up. Trading him while he still has value is the best we could do

Or we could've just traded Bonino whenever Kamenev would be ready to take over as 3C, and clear some cap space while doing it. In fact, that's what I think we should do when/if one of Pettersson, Ejdsell, Trenin or someone else is ready.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Or we could've just traded Bonino whenever Kamenev would be ready to take over as 3C, and clear some cap space while doing it. In fact, that's what I think we should do when/if one of Pettersson, Ejdsell, Trenin or someone else is ready.
That will all depend on how well Bonino is playing and what our "window" is looking like. My take is for sure this year and next we are "all in"

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Wait wut? No he wasnt...

Pete was held back a year in high school. His uncle brought him to the attention of the Reds. He was not drafted. When he signed with them, they thought he was a year younger than he was. Neither Pete nor his uncle corrected their perception. Pete played one season each of minor league ball in places like Geneva, NY, Tampa and Macon. He started playing with the Reds in 1963, when he was 22, but the Reds thought he was 21. He hit .273 and was voted Rookie of the Year. The team had Pete play winter ball in Puerto Rico for at least one season to improve his batting. He became an All Star in 1965.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Pete was held back a year in high school. His uncle brought him to the attention of the Reds. He was not drafted. When he signed with them, they thought he was a year younger than he was. Neither Pete nor his uncle corrected their perception. Pete played one season each of minor league ball in places like Geneva, NY, Tampa and Macon. He started playing with the Reds in 1963, when he was 22, but the Reds thought he was 21. He hit .273 and was voted Rookie of the Year. The team had Pete play winter ball in Puerto Rico for at least one season to improve his batting. He became an All Star in 1965.

I knew all that... my point was, winning Rookie of the Year at age 22 isnt exactly my definition of "late bloomer". 22 wasn't old by baseball standards, unlike hockey, where the real superstars are in the league at 18 routinely. You can say he had an atypical path to the pros maybe, but he wasn't "late" in blooming

/hairsplittling irrelevance :D

Reactions: triggrman

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I knew all that... my point was, winning Rookie of the Year at age 22 isnt exactly my definition of "late bloomer". 22 wasn't old by baseball standards, unlike hockey, where the real superstars are in the league at 18 routinely. You can say he had an atypical path to the pros maybe, but he wasn't "late" in blooming

/hairsplittling irrelevance :D

I will simply for you. Geneva Redlegs (Class D), Tampa Tarpons (Class A), Macon (Class D). Winter ball in PR. Does that seem like a normal career progression?

Pete needed a lot of work! There were four 2B who were NL Rookie of the Year from 1962 to 1966. Ken Hubbs, Rose, Jim Lefebvre and Tommy Helms. Ted Sizemore in 1969 and Steve Sax in 1982. I think that Pete broke in during a drought of good second basemen. Jim Gilliam in 1953 was the first.

Robin Yount started playing for the Brewers when he was 18. By the time he turned 22, he had played about 550 MLB games.

For the benefit of younger people, in the old days, minor league baseball had Classes D, C , B and A. Now we have low A, high A, AA and AAA.

Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Simply put, will Kamenev out perform Turris in the next six years during the Predators open cup window? Will Kamenev and Girard combined bring more to the table than the importance of Turris in this lineup?

If the answer isn't a yes, then it was the right thing to do.

Reactions: Enoch

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Walks into thread to read about latest impressions of trades, reads about the Reds instead....close thread for ****s sake!

I don't think the thread needs to be closed. The Pete Rose discussion just needs to tie back into the Turris trade somehow or it needs to go ahead and end.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Is it already mentioned that Turris and Salomaki both played for Karpat (the club where Miikka and Pekka were drafted from) in the 2012-13 season.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Worst possible outcome is complete bust. I dont think he will, but it's absolutely a possibility. More talented guys than Kamenev with better AHL numbers or great numbers in overseas men's leagues have completely flamed out. I like Kamenev but he is far from a guaranteed NHL 3C. I know this is hockey's future and all, but every prospect doesn't become a good NHL player. Not even the "blue chip" prospects.

Grigorenko is a good recent example, he's even a big bodied Russian just like Kamenev, was much more highly touted as well. You never know with young guys. Taylor Beck is a good recent example from the Preds. Big body, looked great and put up very good AHL numbers at age 20-22. Complete and total bust at the NHL level.
Sorry to barge in, but Grigo is the worst possible comparison, they are nothing alike, he failed because he has no drive to speak of, something that's not the case with Kam.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Some of the skating style I saw out of him reminded me of a more vital, more engaged Ribiero (if that makes any sense to anyone else)

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
He's going to be a class act prime role model for your team and community even if he seems a bit shy or reserved.

Rest assured, guy always gives it his all every shift and game. Leaves it all on the ice. Also clutch in PO time.

I didn't know why there wasn't 4 new threads on the main board about it then i remembered we're not Ottawa fans...

To be fair, it is usually made by the same person :laugh:

Reactions: triggrman

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
He's going to be a class act prime role model for your team and community even if he seems a bit shy or reserved.

Rest assured, guy always gives it his all every shift and game. Leaves it all on the ice. Also clutch in PO time.

To be fair, it is usually made by the same person :laugh:

Not to fear--we'll have him wearing sequins and eelskin boots and singing cry in yore beer songs at Tootsie's before you know it.

It's just the effect we have on people.

Reactions: cgf

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
When you have PK Subban on your team it just kinda happens.

True, but it's been fairly consistent over the years. Jamie Allison tried to start a country music career. I went to his opening gig over at 3rd and Lindsley--most all the players were there, too (this is where I discovered Steve Sullivan's height was badly misstated on the programs) There were a couple of players (Joel Bouchard and Denny Lambert) playing in a band in the early days. There's even a CD--Check Please! In any event, I think Nashville brings out the best in people.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I hope you guys enjoy Turris, because Girard is a damn treat.

Unfortunately Kamenev is going to be out for awhile...
Girard was the one most of us didn't want to trade but fortunately our blue line depth made it possible. Haven't seen any Avs games with him (not until tomorrow) but I expect him to be a big part of your future. He wasn't here long but he belonged for sure.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

Tomorrow is the big decision day for the Avs right? It's Girard's 9th game. Do you think he stays in Colorado of goes back to JR's? Also it awful what happened to Kam really wasn't a dirty hit just bad luck.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Girard will stay up I'm sure. He's looked good so far and it's not like the competition on the current Avs roster is too tough anyway.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, no question he'll stay up past 9 games.

He's been far too good to be sent down.
Playing on the top pair with Johnson, and running his own power play, so the avs are obviously enamoured so far.

The 40 game mark will be the true key. We'll see if the physicality and marathon of the NHL wear him down at all.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

We've been telling you guys how good he was for awhile now. As far as us trading Girard for Turris, that's a no brainer, a 5th or 6th at best defenseman for a 2nd line center, easy choice.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We've been telling you guys how good he was for awhile now. As far as us trading Girard for Turris, that's a no brainer, a 5th or 6th at best defenseman for a 2nd line center, easy choice.
No kidding. Newsflash to other fanbases, we're not just pumping the tires on our defensive assets, we actually generally know what the hell we're talking about when it comes to players/prospects on that side of the puck.

For the rest of your post, agree completely. No brainer is all that needs to be said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad