TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
When I tune into Tony's show and he's talking soccer I usually turn it off and try again at noon for Habs lunch. Today though I've kept him on hoping I was gonna hear a grown man cry on air over how bad the Impact are. :)

I thought it was really gonna happen when a texter or twitter user said he would stop going to the stadium if they traded Piatti. Emotional Tony told him and any others like him to just stay away because they (whomever they are) don't need fans like him there who only go to watch one player. Campbell piped up saying that statement kinda insulted him because fans show up for many different reasons. I don't often agree with Campbell but who the hell is Tony Marinaro to tell anyone to stay home?

Last season I once heard Tony complaining about the Impact not getting enough attention and now he's on the air telling fans to stay home because "they" (again whomever they are) don't want fans there who only go to see one player. :dunno:

Tony spent almost the whole morning crying about the Limp Act and his nostalgia for the team, how he had been following them for 25 years. Good for him. Just made for awful radio.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Trading Alex Galchenyuk would be a treacherous task for Marc Bergevin

"He isn’t dealing from a position of strength given he’s made it clear he desperately wants to improve certain areas. He’ll likely be moving a player who hasn’t hit his full potential due heavily to injuries, inconsistent deployments, and other coaching factors."

what I read is : Marc is desperately trying to save his job and other GMs know this.
An even bigger recipe for diaster, for the disaster artiste...

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Tony spent almost the whole morning crying about the Limp Act and his nostalgia for the team, how he had been following them for 25 years. Good for him. Just made for awful radio.

Limp Act. :laugh: Lucky I had my coffee gone or it would've been all over my monitor.

Yeah I listened to him yesterday far more than I usually would when he's talking soccer. I really hoped he would openly weep on air. :)

Tony is on it again today and has all the answers it seems. Since he thinks he has all the answers on what's wrong and how to fix things they should hire him to run and coach the franchise.

I listened to his soccer talk yesterday but not today. Keep up the good fight Tony but I'll try again at noon.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
An even bigger recipe for diaster, for the disaster artiste...

Pretty much every thing the Habs have done with Galchenyuk since drafting him as been a failure so trading him and possibly getting ripped off is the expected outcome for me at this point.

Galchenyuk along with Gallagher were the Habs best players last season for most games. Galchenyuk's defensive game really improved with Julien showing more confidence in him. I doubt the Habs can get an asset back that would be better than Galchenyuk so it's best to keep him IMO. It just sucks that MB made another mistake IMO only signing him for 3 years last off season which takes him to UFA.

I'd like for Galchneyuk to remain a Hab for many more seasons but sometimes I kinda hope he gets traded just to see how he would play on another team and hopefully at center full time.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I'm calling it:

MB is going to trade Galchenyuk and Lindgren for O'Reilly and it's going to be worse than the Subban deal.

Lol.. You know what JM, I think you might be onto something here....

Pretty much every thing the Habs have done with Galchenyuk since drafting him as been a failure so trading him and possibly getting ripped off is the expected outcome for me at this point.

Galchenyuk along with Gallagher were the Habs best players last season for most games. Galchenyuk's defensive game really improved with Julien showing more confidence in him. I doubt the Habs can get an asset back that would be better than Galchenyuk so it's best to keep him IMO. It just sucks that MB made another mistake IMO only signing him for 3 years last off season which takes him to UFA.

I'd like for Galchneyuk to remain a Hab for many more seasons but sometimes I kinda hope he gets traded just to see how he would play on another team and hopefully at center full time.

I fully agree Sheed, Id love to keep alex here but honestly, for his career I hope he gets traded. He can flourish somewhere else as a center, and yet another egg On Marcs face to go with the other 11 would be just great. Make a true dozen ;)

with that being said... never before in my life of cheering for a professional sports franchise have I ever wished for the team to get worse for the sole purpose of removing the **** for brains management group that currently runs the habs.

Congrats Marc and Geffy, you continue to defy the odds and achieve new records all the time.

What a sad state..... I just hope I can drown my sorrows in that "Improved fan experience" complete with better food... god forbid I ever get free tickets to a habs game. I wouldn't pay a penny to see the crap product that is currently being iced....

Reactions: sheed36
Apr 1, 2006
Montreal

We all saw what he's capable of, that's why I'm puzzled regarding the way he's being used. I think we all are. At the begining of the 16-17 season he got (something like) 30 points in 31 games playing center and then pouf!, back to the wing, usually on the 2nd. I still don't get that one. If he goes to another team and they use him properly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 60-65+ points.

Reactions: sheed36

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
While on the subject of 690, I can't take that snooping neanderthal who checks up on what his wife is doing while surfing the internet in that Montreal Auto Prix commercial.

They changed it recently as he was super creepy obsessed, came across as a #metoo maggot who was all too controlling and rude.

Now they have him preparing breakfast for his wife but still snooping on her. And still sounds like a neanderthal.
Isn't he the same guy from back in the 80's who used to say "Don' be shy. Buy a car!"

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I haven't noticed yet....unlike the Carlos and Pepe's commercial, that was previously super stereotypical Mexican, then replaced by a super white guy over-articulating every word, making sure to pronounce every word perfectly , then ending with his understated, lifeless arriba....

Now they're back to the super Mexican version again.
I always preferred Marcos & Pepe's in Westmount to Carlos & Pepe's but only the latter still exists, although I'm told it ain't what it used to be.

Are Aaron Rand and Tasso still around doing Kojax commercials?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
When I tune into Tony's show and he's talking soccer I usually turn it off and try again at noon for Habs lunch. Today though I've kept him on hoping I was gonna hear a grown man cry on air over how bad the Impact are. :)

I thought it was really gonna happen when a texter or twitter user said he would stop going to the stadium if they traded Piatti. Emotional Tony told him and any others like him to just stay away because they (whomever they are) don't need fans like him there who only go to watch one player. Campbell piped up saying that statement kinda insulted him because fans show up for many different reasons. I don't often agree with Campbell but who the hell is Tony Marinaro to tell anyone to stay home?

Last season I once heard Tony complaining about the Impact not getting enough attention and now he's on the air telling fans to stay home because "they" (again whomever they are) don't want fans there who only go to see one player. :dunno:
Like fans who turned their backs on the Habs when they traded Subban and started following the Preds? Like when Gainey told fans who booed Brisebois to stay home because "We don't need fans like that"?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
If twitter is such BS why are all the major news networks on it?

And what is legitimate news? The same story can be spun in a ton of different directions. Twitter makes it easy to see all these perspectives plus you can get first hand accounts of events.

Is there a lot of noise? Ya sure but you can easily filter it out.

Its a useful tool
I never said that Twitter itself was BS or that it wasn't a useful tool. But it should never be the primary tool or take the place of legitimate news gathering. It's very difficult to get anything approaching context within the constraints of 240 characters. You need actual journalism for that. The biggest problem with the news media today is that it's owned and operated by people who don't value journalism and who are pursuing their own narrow agendas. People like that tend to try and use journalism to prove things they already believe rather than to discover things they don't already know.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
The Tony telling Fans how to exactly enjoy soccer is nothing new lol

I remember awhile ago he said everyone should like Soccer and anybody who does not is weird and does not like beautiful things .

I had bassically asked him on twitter why is he generalizing Fans like that and should not do half insults and he blocked me :)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We all saw what he's capable of, that's why I'm puzzled regarding the way he's being used. I think we all are. At the begining of the 16-17 season he got (something like) 30 points in 31 games playing center and then pouf!, back to the wing, usually on the 2nd. I still don't get that one. If he goes to another team and they use him properly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 60-65+ points.
That's not quite how it happened...

He started off 2016-17 with 23pts in his first 25 games...then hurt his knee vs the Kings.

Missed about 6 weeks, came back...he was placed back as a center, but struggled until he had a sit out a few games again for his knee, when he returned, Therrien put him back at center again.

Then Therrien was fired, Julien came in and continued to use Galchenyuk as a center for another dozen games until he finally him to the wing and he's been there ever since.

Reactions: admiralcadillac

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I remember awhile ago he said everyone should like Soccer and anybody who does not is weird and does not like beautiful things .

I had bassically asked him on twitter why is he generalizing Fans like that and should not do half insults and he blocked me :)

What a precipitous fall it is every time the Habs are out of it. We're stuck with force fed material that only appeals to a limited segment of sports fans.

We need another major pro franchise pronto.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurentide

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

This from a man who likes soccer more than baseball.

Look, I gave soccer a try. When I was in Paris some years ago I went to see PSG play and got tickets behind the goal right next to the fenced-off area reserved for the Ultras. The fans in the sections adjacent to the Ultras are the Ultra wannabe's. They spent the entire time standing, and not merely standing but standing on their seats, which effectively blocked the view for anyone behind them. They were constantly waving flags and hitting bystanders with the flag poles because they got drunk an hour before they walked into the stadium. They also smoked freely despite the fact that the stadium was supposedly smoke free. Inside the enclosure, the Ultras set off flares and tried to burn the stands down.

The game started 20 minutes before I realized that anything was happening on the pitch. The roar of the crowd didn't change when the game began. It was loud as soon as the stands were filled and remained loud. Since they don't do the national anthem thing in Europe, there was no indication that the match was due to commence. It just "started" (not that anyone in the stands seemed to notice or care - they were far too busy doing their own thing)

If the sport of soccer were the least bit interesting the fans wouldn't need to amuse themselves to such extremes because the game itself would be enough to entertain them. Clearly it is not, even at the highest levels. And whatever else it might be, it is not, from a fan perspective at least, the least bit "beautiful" as an experience. It's certainly interesting (for a short period anyway - I left at halftime, deciding to pass on the post-game rioting that is apparently customary after every PSG match, win or lose) but beautiful it is not. Give me a sunny afternoon at Safeco Field with the roof open, a fresh breeze blowing in from Elliott Bay and a cold black & tan to sip on while watching a baseball game any day. That's beauty.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
This from a man who likes soccer more than baseball.

Look, I gave soccer a try. When I was in Paris some years ago I went to see PSG play and got tickets behind the goal right next to the fenced-off area reserved for the Ultras. The fans in the sections adjacent to the Ultras are the Ultra wannabe's. They spent the entire time standing, and not merely standing but standing on their seats, which effectively blocked the view for anyone behind them. They were constantly waving flags and hitting bystanders with the flag poles because they got drunk an hour before they walked into the stadium. They also smoked freely despite the fact that the stadium was supposedly smoke free. Inside the enclosure, the Ultras set off flares and tried to burn the stands down.

The game started 20 minutes before I realized that anything was happening on the pitch. The roar of the crowd didn't change when the game began. It was loud as soon as the stands were filled and remained loud. Since they don't do the national anthem thing in Europe, there was no indication that the match was due to commence. It just "started" (not that anyone in the stands seemed to notice or care - they were far too busy doing their own thing)

If the sport of soccer were the least bit interesting the fans wouldn't need to amuse themselves to such extremes because the game itself would be enough to entertain them. Clearly it is not, even at the highest levels. And whatever else it might be, it is not, from a fan perspective at least, the least bit "beautiful" as an experience. It's certainly interesting (for a short period anyway - I left at halftime, deciding to pass on the post-game rioting that is apparently customary after every PSG match, win or lose) but beautiful it is not. Give me a sunny afternoon at Safeco Field with the roof open, a fresh breeze blowing in from Elliott Bay and a cold black & tan to sip on while watching a baseball game any day. That's beauty.
Lolol baseball

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey, if watching 22 Euroweenie metrosexuals run around in shorts chasing a ball for 90 minutes while rarely, if ever, putting said ball into the goal is your thing, good for you. Bonus points if you can do it and enjoy it without having to get blind drunk first. But I'm a North American who prefers to watch sports played by men.

Reactions: Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hey, if watching 22 Euroweenie metrosexuals run around in shorts chasing a ball for 90 minutes while rarely, if ever, putting said ball into the goal is your thing, good for you. Bonus points if you can do it and enjoy it without having to get blind drunk first. But I'm a North American who prefers to watch sports played by men.
It's apparently "a thing" for millions around the world too

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
While on the subject of 690, I can't take that snooping neanderthal who checks up on what his wife is doing while surfing the internet in that Montreal Auto Prix commercial.

They changed it recently as he was super creepy obsessed, came across as a #metoo maggot who was all too controlling and rude.

Now they have him preparing breakfast for his wife but still snooping on her. And still sounds like a neanderthal.
I realize autoprix pays to have these ads put on the air, but they really aren't fit for human ears.

The male lead in these commercials sounds like some sort of ancient pervert. "Hey honey...what are you doing on the computer?" "ooooh are you looking at the pictures?" "Why don't I come on over...and wait, what is this commercial about? Cars? Ah! Why look at that. You are looking at the internet pictures of the auto prix cars!"
The acting is so stilted. The accent is unbearable. The tone of his voice...I wonder if he has to wear groucho marx glasses to pull it off.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So are things like wearing dress shoes with no socks, voting for Trump and eating Tide Pods, none of which I relate to.
It's fine not to like soccer...I personally love it and fell in love with it much later in adult life, I too thought it was boring, no goals, 90 minute games..bleh.

But then I actually went to see a game in Holland (Ajax) and it completely changed my way of thinking...I started understanding the game within the game and realizing that the goals are just a result of a ton of micro events meshing together at the right time.

You see a dude pass a ball to another guy across field, in full motion and he hits him in stride and the player receiving the pass one-touch controls it like it's nothing.

You realize soccer truly is the beautiful game.

But again, I understand it's not for everyone (though it's the most popular sport in the world ironically) but you've got some pretty ill-informed opinions about it.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

Real muscular men with raw bodies, I feel you brother

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So are things like wearing dress shoes with no socks, voting for Trump and eating Tide Pods, none of which I relate to.

Reminds me of Joey "No Socks" Cinque, who is a Trump favorite at his Mar-a-Lago parties.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Soccer has its moments, but they're far and few in between boring and nothing happening. I enjoy competitions like the World Cup as a side show, have it on in the background and look if someone scores. The closer to the final, I'll pay more attention, but it's not something I would miss if there was none.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
It's fine not to like soccer...I personally love it and fell in love with it much later in adult life, I too thought it was boring, no goals, 90 minute games..bleh.

But then I actually went to see a game in Holland (Ajax) and it completely changed my way of thinking...I started understanding the game within the game and realizing that the goals are just a result of a ton of micro events meshing together at the right time.

You see a dude pass a ball to another guy across field, in full motion and he hits him in stride and the player receiving the pass one-touch controls it like it's nothing.

You realize soccer truly is the beautiful game.

But again, I understand it's not for everyone (though it's the most popular sport in the world ironically) but you've got some pretty ill-informed opinions about it.
I once heard it described that soccer was a game in which 22 men run around chasing a ball for 90 minutes until Germany wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad