TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Tuning in for Habs Lunch and caught Tony calling a random place in Nashville asking if there was a sporting even tonight lol
Cringe worthy segment lol
Oh Marinaro lol

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I can't listen to the audio but I see Tony had a segment on how easy it is to build a contender and used the jets as an example? I hope he realizes that some of the core pieces like Buffy, Enstrom and Wheeler were acquired back when they were the Thrashers and Scheifele, their number 1 center was drafted 7 years ago.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
and
I can't listen to the audio but I see Tony had a segment on how easy it is to build a contender and used the jets as an example? I hope he realizes that some of the core pieces like Buffy, Enstrom and Wheeler were acquired back when they were the Thrashers and Scheifele, their number 1 center was drafted 7 years ago.
Tony doesn't write the headlines and I find that a lot of the headlines on that site don't accurately reflect what you hear on the audio. They'll put a headline above a clip to drive web clicks so if McGuire is on for 15 minutes and mentions something Habs-related for only 45 seconds, the Habs-related bit is what will be in the headline. You click on it thinking you're going to hear something insightful and it winds up being nothing more than a passing remark or two.

I don't think it's "easy" to build what the Jets have built but the formula is easy enough to understand: accept the fact that your team sucks, embrace the suck for 5 or so years (which means resisting the temptation to add enough veteran help that will only get you into a playoff spot but nothing more) stockpile top 10 picks and then add vets when your core matures and is ready to truly contend for the big prize. An easy formula but one that requires more patience than owners, GM's or fans in most hardcore markets like Montreal possess.

And even if you do everything right there's still no guarantees because you have to draft the right players. If your scouts suck or if you have a GM addicted to intangibles like "attitude" you miss out on drafting players who can move the needle and wind up with a team of Shaw's and Byron's instead. You also can't count on being able to attract quality vets when the time comes. Stastny waived his NTC to join Winnipeg but would the Habs ever be that lucky? Because for all the really good players the Jets have grown on their own like Scheifele, Trouba or Laine, they wouldn't have got far without the likes of Stastny and Byfuglien.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad