TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
While I don't really share his taste in music, I like Melnick's passion for it and don't mind that it brings a bit of a change of pace to the show from time to time, especially in the slower days of the summer.

I still remember his roasting of Bergevin last year in the interview he did. Nothing was held back, particularly about Galchenyuk. It was great. He will always ask the questions that need to be asked. Unfortunately it also meant that the next time MB was on, it was on Nilan's show where he teed up some softballs for him.

I do hope he treats his co-workers better off-air than he sometimes does on-air. He can really nag on Gallo and Francis at times and I'm not sure if he's doing it in a friendly way or not.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
While I don't really share his taste in music, I like Melnick's passion for it and don't mind that it brings a bit of a change of pace to the show from time to time, especially in the slower days of the summer.

I still remember his roasting of Bergevin last year in the interview he did. Nothing was held back, particularly about Galchenyuk. It was great. He will always ask the questions that need to be asked. Unfortunately it also meant that the next time MB was on, it was on Nilan's show where he teed up some softballs for him.

I do hope he treats his co-workers better off-air than he sometimes does on-air. He can really nag on Gallo and Francis at times and I'm not sure if he's doing it in a friendly way or not.

Nilan's "Off the Cuff" is the "Junior Muffin League" of all the TSN690 daily shows. :sarcasm:

For people who don't know Nilan calls the KHL the "Junior Muffin League".

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well, Marinaro has sadly concluded that shock trumps talent so he'll always take the shock route.
Campbell is a guy that pushes the buttons on the sound board and puts in the occasional word. They don't see the same dough at the station either.

Tony's been at it for 15 years, so he has lead time on Campbell.

However, Campbell's role goes beyond pushing buttons. He's a co-host on the morning show. He's co-hosts Nilan's afternoon snoozefest. He's routinely on for Habs' broadcasts and fields (stonewalls) calls on the Habs post game show.

He was also a co-host for the highly irrelevant The Als This Week.

And, as soon as the Rockets' season begins, he's doing play-by-play.

Great, just what we need. More Campbell. :shakehead

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
How about I think its Satikas claiming the "highest rated segment" in radio ?

I mean as if anything on 690 would bring in high ratings, and if there was something it would be a habs game, not the 5 questions thing he does.

And to all those saying they like Melnick but are over 40, it thats 6990's main demographic they are in trouble.

I listen to sports radio for sports, not a music lesson. I had sirusXM for a week free and it was refreshing listening to ESPn/Mad dogg /NHL instead of 690 which is probably 50% sports and 50% whatever crap Tony is selling or what 1970's musician Melnick is going on about.

sholi2000

No One Gets Left Behind
May 26, 2013
Brandon, MB
www.sholi2000.com
Well said and I agree. Melnick is without a doubt my favorite of all the TSN690 daily shows. I'm over 40 as well and the music he plays interests me very much and IMO it's a part of what makes his show great.

It's gonna be a huge blow to TSN690 whenever Melnick decides to retire from this gig.

I've been a fan of his show since 06. Back in 2012 I was in Mtl to watch some hockey and I stopped by the old Team990 studio and I went up to their floor to say hi to everyone. Next thing I know I'm on air with them. "Shane from Brandon is here," we talked about my life in the infantry, and how I got hooked on Montreal radio.

Great show for sure.

sholi2000

No One Gets Left Behind
May 26, 2013
Brandon, MB
www.sholi2000.com
How about I think its Satikas claiming the "highest rated segment" in radio ?

I mean as if anything on 690 would bring in high ratings, and if there was something it would be a habs game, not the 5 questions thing he does.

And to all those saying they like Melnick but are over 40, it thats 6990's main demographic they are in trouble.

I listen to sports radio for sports, not a music lesson. I had sirusXM for a week free and it was refreshing listening to ESPn/Mad dogg /NHL instead of 690 which is probably 50% sports and 50% whatever crap Tony is selling or what 1970's musician Melnick is going on about.

I have XM radio, been listening to it since 2010, Melnick's show is top five to anything NHL radio XM91 has. Mad Dog radio is horrible for hockey.....almost zero exposure. You got one thing right though, XM is the way to go for sports radio. It's worth every penny we pay.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have XM radio, been listening to it since 2010, Melnick's show is top five to anything NHL radio XM91 has. Mad Dog radio is horrible for hockey.....almost zero exposure. You got one thing right though, XM is the way to go for sports radio. It's worth every penny we pay.

XM really sounds enticing.

What are the basics of a subscription? Do you need a special radio unit? Can you have car and home reception on the same subscription? Is it costly? Thanks for any feedback.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

What are the basics of a subscription? Do you need a special radio unit? Can you have car and home reception on the same subscription? Is it costly? Thanks for any feedback.

Are you Canadian or American is the first question to be answered.

Its 15.99 a month and then there are some hidden fees so I think it comes out to about 20$ a month.

You would need some sort of satelite antena in your car. My car came with it so did my dads. I am not sure if its an option or if every new car comes with one. Do you have a Sat button in your car radio?

You can listen online if you subscribe. At home I don't think so unless you are doing it through the internet since its satelite radio.

I think its pretty costly. I will say I don't have it but my dad does so I have fooled around with it a bit. I was going to sign up if it was more inline with Netflix price but with tax and fees its close to double.

With a USB drive I can put 1000's of hours of music in my car. I found after a week of the free trial the stations were playing the same songs over and over again.

Sports talk is good so if you are a huge sports fan then it might be more worth it because they have a couple of sports stations. And if you like Howard Stern while thats where you can find him. And there is a XXX channel or two if thats your thing.

You don't have to commit for a year so you can always try it out for a month or two and decide if you want to keep it.

sholi2000

No One Gets Left Behind
May 26, 2013
Brandon, MB
www.sholi2000.com

XM Radio is awesome. If I don't have it on the 80's channel 24/7 it's on NHL radio. NHL radio is awesome. I am on the road a lot (coach Midget) and NHL radio fills my time.

I pay under 200/yr and get everything I want. Not sure what the guy above me is saying, there are no hidden fees.

If you are in your car/truck a lot, then XM is the way to go.....in fact you'll never go back to local radio.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks guys. To answer the previous post, am Canadian. I have a SAT channel in my car, so that would make it easy to add but I don't spend much time driving. I guess I'd have to look into the home version. Howard Stern plus sports sounds like a plan.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
XM Radio is awesome. If I don't have it on the 80's channel 24/7 it's on NHL radio. NHL radio is awesome. I am on the road a lot (coach Midget) and NHL radio fills my time.

I pay under 200/yr and get everything I want. Not sure what the guy above me is saying, there are no hidden fees.

If you are in your car/truck a lot, then XM is the way to go.....in fact you'll never go back to local radio.

are you American or Canadian?

Because for Canadian its 15.99 a month (the lowest tier package) and they charge a 14.2% music royalty fee and 15% tax (in QC) so thats an extra 5 bucks or so we would pay in QC.

Anyways for me I am in my car 30 mins a day max so I can't justify paying 240+ a year for commercial free radio when I can just slap 1000's of hours of music onto a
USB.

But if you are in your car all the time and like talk radio its probably worth it. If it was half the price I would of signed up for it. What I really care about is getting the traffic alerts on my navigation unit.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Thanks guys. To answer the previous post, am Canadian. I have a SAT channel in my car, so that would make it easy to add but I don't spend much time driving. I guess I'd have to look into the home version. Howard Stern plus sports sounds like a plan.

If you have SAT button try pressing it. Do you have a screen on your car radio? Mine runs adds to call in to subscribe.

Thats my issue I am in my car maybe 30 mins a day so its not worth the 240 + a year it would cost.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you have SAT button try pressing it. Do you have a screen on your car radio? Mine runs adds to call in to subscribe.

Thats my issue I am in my car maybe 30 mins a day so its not worth the 240 + a year it would cost.

There was an option for a free trial when I first got my car but never pursued it. I agree with you, not worth the expense if you're only spending little time in your vehicle. I have a screen when I press SAT, my car is recent. Thanks again for the info.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
There was an option for a free trial when I first got my car but never pursued it. I agree with you, not worth the expense if you're only spending little time in your vehicle. I have a screen when I press SAT, my car is recent. Thanks again for the info.

My commute is literally 5 minutes. I could walk to work in 20 if I wanted. 2 KM tops. So I don't really bother with sat. If I am at home I just click on the station with my PC and studio monitors.

sholi2000

No One Gets Left Behind
May 26, 2013
Brandon, MB
www.sholi2000.com
Negotiate Everything

are you American or Canadian?

Because for Canadian its 15.99 a month (the lowest tier package) and they charge a 14.2% music royalty fee and 15% tax (in QC) so thats an extra 5 bucks or so we would pay in QC.

Anyways for me I am in my car 30 mins a day max so I can't justify paying 240+ a year for commercial free radio when I can just slap 1000's of hours of music onto a
USB.

But if you are in your car all the time and like talk radio its probably worth it. If it was half the price I would of signed up for it. What I really care about is getting the traffic alerts on my navigation unit.

I live in Brandon MB and every year when it comes up for renewal I tell them it's too expensive. The sales rep them looks up what to say to me which is the same every time "well sir, we would hate to see you go after being such a loyal customer." They then offer the six months at 50.00 and then 120.00 (don't know exactly) for the remainder of the year. I suppose if I said no again then they would go to their next offer, which I imagine is better but to be honest I don't care how much it is, it's worth it for me. My bill is 184.00 every year.

But you have to drive lots to get your money's worth. As stated I coach hockey and always on the go.

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
Does Chris Nilan ever - I mean EVER say anything to criticize the organization? I love what he was as a player and I respect what he's overcome in his life, but as a broadcaster, he appears to be no more than a company man. I simply can not listen to him anymore.

Here end of rant.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Does Chris Nilan ever - I mean EVER say anything to criticize the organization? I love what he was as a player and I respect what he's overcome in his life, but as a broadcaster, he appears to be no more than a company man. I simply can not listen to him anymore.

Here end of rant.

Its the radio you need diversity. I get most people want everyone at 690 to rip the habs to shreds but you need differnt POV. Some of us fans like the team etc and don't mind hearing a voice that echo's those sentiments, just like some fans just want to here trashing all day.

If everyone praised habs all day it wouldn't be good, but same goes for bashing the team all day.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Pierre McGuire just seems extra douchy in his segments with Melnick since he started on TSN690 again this month. I quite enjoy when Pierre gets proven wrong and has to eat crow admitting he was wrong. The guy seems very confident in the things he says I'll give him that.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

TSN690 is free online

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Pierre McGuire just seems extra *****y in his segments with Melnick since he started on TSN690 again this month. I quite enjoy when Pierre gets proven wrong and has to eat crow admitting he was wrong. The guy seems very confident in the things he says I'll give him that.

Pierre has been riping the team with Mete, yet I don't doubt if Markov was there he would be going in the other direction about how bad it is to have old man Markov on the blue line and the team needs youth is old etc...

He rips the team for getting older but then when they might promote a young gun he rips them too.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Pierre McGuire makes me cringe a lot. He was adamantly tearing the Habs a new one before last season, talking about Leafs got better, Sens got better, Sabres got better, Tampa is elite, and Panthers will be better. Same song and dance as this year. Yet Habs did well despite him being convinced Habs were on a regression.

Yesterday, he said that Habs want to be an attacking team that charges offensively but don't have the roster for that. I heard that and immediately smacked my forehead. I don't know about you Pierre, but Habs will play more of a defensive game and practice a puck possession style.

This guy most times will say just about anything to shine a negative light over the Habs.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I didn't hear Pierre's comments so I can't say anything about them but the Habs should be playing a more offensive game if you have Price in net. He can cover up any defensive lapses. Your offense can then in turn gives Price some leeway if he lets in a goal or 2.

neil2005

May 2, 2012
Does anyone know why the game tonight is blacked out on TSN2, even though I live in Montreal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad