Proposal: Trouba Mega Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
(Neutral fan)

I think Chevy is doing the optimal solution here.

1) Jets have no/low chance to compete this year, but high chance for next year onwards

2) Any trade must benefit 2017-> more than the current year

3) Holdout will reduce Trouba's cap

4) Holdout gives time scout Rookie LHDs. (Like Werenski.)

I don't see any downsides of a holdout until Dec 1st.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Doubt it, ducks team seems very high on Lindhom and if they can't sign Lindholm then I doubt they can sign Trouba.

I think Lindholm can command a higher AAV than Trouba. Maybe Trouba would even take a bridge deal to facilitate a move to an American team where he will play right side only.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Love these types of comments.

Ok tell us what "Jets fans" are all expecting.

Please tell us

Well in the last couple of pages I've seen it insinuated that it would take packages involving Weresnki+ or Larkin+ or Chychrun+ & WPG isn't going to get any one young piece with quite that caliber of value. It would be a bigger pile of lesser assets if they do deal him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, I'd try to work out something with Toronto, Anaheim and Winnipeg.

Winnipeg ----> Cam Fowler + Andreas Johnsson
Anaheim -----> Nikita Soshnikov + Kasperi Kapanen
Toronto -----> Jacob Trouba

Toronto give's up some of our winger depth, but it'd still be incredibly deep.

Anaheim gets two very good near nhl ready wingers, and loses salary to sign Lindholm.

Winnipeg gets the young LHD they have been looking for, and gets an added prospect to sweeten the deal.

Overall, I think all teams achieve what they want out of this deal, even if some tweaking is needed

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Well it is either that or he sits at home until he is 27. He would not be the first player who asked for a trade and ends up staying with a team in the end. It really comes down to principal, you cannot allow a RFA the rights of a UFA or the whole system collapses not just for Winnipeg, but for all the other teams as well

Bruins dealt Hamilton because they knew he wanted out. The world didn't burn.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Anaheim gets two very good near nhl ready wingers, and loses salary to sign Lindholm.

Winnipeg gets the young LHD they have been looking for, and gets an added prospect to sweeten the deal.

Overall, I think all teams achieve what they want out of this deal, even if some tweaking is needed

Cam Fowler for I believe two years and an unnecessary prospect (LW) is not going to cut it.

Winnipeg needs a d that is under control for a few years and has an abundance of forward prospects.

Somehow Toronto gives up the least and ends up with arguably the best player in the deal.

bigbluejet

Aug 30, 2010
Get him outta here now !!!

I say trade Trouba now and get the best deal that you can and if its nt a defensemen so be it. Morrissey is playing okay Chevy should wait for the best deal period and move him. He is nt worth 8 mil no way his agent really did a number on this kid and player has to show a longer number of years of good playing to get that kind of money.:sarcasm::sarcasm:

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
With added pieces
RNH for Trouba

When Edmonton calls Overheart to negotiate a deal he laughs and hangs up the phone saying I would rather stay in Winterpeg if Edmonton is the only option :laugh:

He wants to play in a big market or the USA.....this has nothing to do with playing left or right side as he was going to play 25 min a night with Buff...how is that for opportunity for a 22 year old player? Its all about an RFA trying to cry his way to where he wants to play.

I like RNH so Im not making fun of the offer .....but Trouba won't go to Edmonton now....maybe if we sit him for a year he may reconsider but no way in hell he accepts a move there at the moment.

If Edmonton fans really want Trouba you are praying Dec 1 comes and goes and he is forced to sit....At that point I would guess any NHL city would suddenly become reasonable to him and his dad :D

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
He knew before this he was probably going to lose money but did it anyway
So my question stands
Why is he signing a cheap cost controlled long contract so that the Jets can just move him anywhere they like?
He may make this easier if he goes to a team he likes but why do that to end up in any old place?
May as well just sign long term with the Jets if he does not care where he goes

He can plan all he likes but he is still losing money every single day.

No one is asking him to sign a cheap contract. His agent confirmed that they have not allowed the Jets to submit a single offer. They are playing hardball. What do you do with a guy who doesn't even want to negotiate?

He can say "I will only play for these 5 teams." Well.....unless one of those 5 teams submits a suitable offer, he's going to be sitting for a long time.

Here's the reality of the situation. The Jets hold 99% of the cards. You don't lose a negotiation when you hold 99% of the cards. Trouba is playing his 1% move and hurting himself more than anything in the process.

If I had to guess how this plays out, he will sign something like 6x$5,000,000 and then gets traded shortly after.

Last edited:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Here we have example #179 of the team is unwilling to pay the cost required to acquire Trouba - but perhaps we can get involved in a 3-way proposal.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I am going to look at the windows of opportunity in when the Jets can maximize trade return on Trouba.

2016 Offseason

This would have been the ideal time but I strongly suspect Overhardt wrecked this time frame by limiting the number of ideal destinations and having ridiculous salary demands for less desirable teams. Overhardt basically had veto powers simply by not agreeing to a contract.

I guess the limited ideal destinations did not pony up, wasting this time frame

December 1

If Trouba does not sign by December 1, he loses a year of NHL salary AND he becomes a UFA one year later. It is a huge cost to him if he doesn't sign.

This deadline should break Overhardt's offseason resolve. His camp should be more willing to extend destinations and be more reasonable in contract talks. That should make Trouba a more desirable trade prospect.

Chevy needs to ramp up this pressure by doing absolutely nothing until the latter part of November unless a sweetheart deal emerges (unlikely...I mean you guys think Fowler for Trouba is a good trade rofl).

2017 Offseason

If it somehow gets to that point, it does open up more potential for trades (draft, free agency etc), Overhardt looks like an idiot, Jets show their resolve by not letting RFAs go as UFAs, but perhaps the downer is Trouba is a year removed from playing in the NHL and the noise of the situation has caused.

It's not a horrible situation, but I am betting something gets resolved by late November (a trade, or a promise of trying for a trade if Trouba signs with the Jets)

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Stop trying to make Trouba to Edmonton happen. The Oilers have enough problems, they don't need start helping the Jets out with their problems as well.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
(Neutral fan)

I think Chevy is doing the optimal solution here.

1) Jets have no/low chance to compete this year, but high chance for next year onwards

2) Any trade must benefit 2017-> more than the current year

3) Holdout will reduce Trouba's cap

4) Holdout gives time scout Rookie LHDs. (Like Werenski.)

I don't see any downsides of a holdout until Dec 1st.

Err the Jets were supposed to be a playoff team this year. They are further ahead of the Leafs and Sabres, if they are not a playoff team something has gone very wrong with their rebuild. Especially considering last year they were seen as having an under performing roster with strong prospect pool, and all their prospects are in the NHL now.

Johnsson + Kapi + Sosh for Trouba? F THAT. No way you are getting that from the Leafs. We'll fill that hole via FA or the draft.

No need to gut our prospect pool for a primadona who will whine when things do go the way they want it too and will hold out for money they aren't worth.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I am going to look at the windows of opportunity in when the Jets can maximize trade return on Trouba.

2016 Offseason

This would have been the ideal time but I strongly suspect Overhardt wrecked this time frame by limiting the number of ideal destinations and having ridiculous salary demands for less desirable teams. Overhardt basically had veto powers simply by not agreeing to a contract.

I guess the limited ideal destinations did not pony up, wasting this time frame

December 1

If Trouba does not sign by December 1, he loses a year of NHL salary AND he becomes a UFA one year later. It is a huge cost to him if he doesn't sign.

This deadline should break Overhardt's offseason resolve. His camp should be more willing to extend destinations and be more reasonable in contract talks. That should make Trouba a more desirable trade prospect.

Chevy needs to ramp up this pressure by doing absolutely nothing until the latter part of November unless a sweetheart deal emerges (unlikely...I mean you guys think Fowler for Trouba is a good trade rofl).

2017 Offseason

If it somehow gets to that point, it does open up more potential for trades (draft, free agency etc), Overhardt looks like an idiot, Jets show their resolve by not letting RFAs go as UFAs, but perhaps the downer is Trouba is a year removed from playing in the NHL and the noise of the situation has caused.

It's not a horrible situation, but I am betting something gets resolved by late November (a trade, or a promise of trying for a trade if Trouba signs with the Jets)

Don't agree with your assessment of the 2016 offseason. It's just as likely that Chevy had already decided he was going to make Trouba rot and was asking for the moon and a half. There was a rumor on the Boston board that someone asked for Pasta + two 1sts for a d-man. Which d-man that is was unclear, but it being Trouba wouldn't be surprising, and there is no way the Bruins make that deal in a 1000 years.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Err the Jets were supposed to be a playoff team this year. They are further ahead of the Leafs and Sabres, if they are not a playoff team something has gone very wrong with their rebuild. Especially considering last year they were seen as having an under performing roster with strong prospect pool, and all their prospects are in the NHL now.

I highly doubt the Jets challenge for the playoffs this year. They are one of the youngest teams in the league (4th behind Edmonton, Columbus and Buffalo). Their prospects are in the NHL now, but I don't think anyone expects Morrissey, Connor, Laine or even Ehlers to be game breakers just yet. Give them 2-3 years and they'll be good, but I don't really expect them to be a playoff team this year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Johnsson + Kapi + Sosh for Trouba? F THAT. No way you are getting that from the Leafs. We'll fill that hole via FA or the draft.

No need to gut our prospect pool for a primadona who will whine when things do go the way they want it too and will hold out for money they aren't worth.

Jets have 4 rookies in the line-up. They would like to compete this year, but the GM and coach have made it clear that they see it as another development year for the team.

All of the Leafs top prospects are in their line-up this year. Does that make them a playoff contender?

Johnsson, Kapanen and Soshnikov "guts" your prospect pool? Well, that's not very encouraging. I don't think any of them could make the Jets' top-9 in the foreseeable future. So don't worry, the Jets aren't going to take three "meh" forward prospects for Trouba. Leafs can hang onto them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad