Trouba?

OR

Zuccarello & Skeij

for Trouba

?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
As a Jet's fan, I'm perfectly fine with him sitting out the entire year. There's no way a RFA should have the same trade rights (as in choosing where they want to go) as a UFA. Admittedly, I do suspect that a D injury will eventually motivate some team to make a very good offer

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Jets have 4 rookies in the line-up. They would like to compete this year, but the GM and coach have made it clear that they see it as another development year for the team.

All of the Leafs top prospects are in their line-up this year. Does that make them a playoff contender?

Johnsson, Kapanen and Soshnikov "guts" your prospect pool? Well, that's not very encouraging. I don't think any of them could make the Jets' top-9 in the foreseeable future. So don't worry, the Jets aren't going to take three "meh" forward prospects for Trouba. Leafs can hang onto them.

They couldn't crack the Leafs top 9 either but that doesn't mean anything. Leafs are taking their time and these three guys are the future on the wings for the Leafs, that's what I mean by that.

Kapi was great and could have made our team if not for a numbers game and so far for the Marlies has 5 points in 2 games as a rookie aged player for the AHL.

Johnsson is highly touted and also has 3 points in 2 games in his first season in NA.

Sosh played in the NHL last year and was great. He had 5 points in 11 games and was a great two way player, he is also PPG in the A to start. He only didn't make the team due to an injury.

So these are guys the Leafs need to keep.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Do you think Trouba is sweating as he had lost about 200k now?

Maybe just a little bit,

If this goes up to Dec 1 that is roughly 1.2M?

Hope Jets management is patient enough to get the best deal.
And probably Chevy is the most patient GM there is :)

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB

Maybe just a little bit,

Probably not he had know this was going to happen.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Here we have example #179 of the team is unwilling to pay the cost required to acquire Trouba - but perhaps we can get involved in a 3-way proposal.

We are willing and able to pay the price, but don't really want, so we get creative to allow Winnipeg to get what they ask, while still getting what we want, and achieving the goal of the Ducks.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Johnsson, Kapanen and Soshnikov "guts" your prospect pool? Well, that's not very encouraging. I don't think any of them could make the Jets' top-9 in the foreseeable future. So don't worry, the Jets aren't going to take three "meh" forward prospects for Trouba. Leafs can hang onto them.

That's because the Jets top 9 is also quite deep and young at that. Doesn't mean those guys are meh prospects. I think there's good 2nd/3rd line potential with all 3.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jets have 4 rookies in the line-up. They would like to compete this year, but the GM and coach have made it clear that they see it as another development year for the team.

All of the Leafs top prospects are in their line-up this year. Does that make them a playoff contender?

They don't gut the Leafs forwards.

They aren't meh prospects. The all will be top 9 forwards in the NHL, and Soshnikov and Kapanen can definitely be top 6 guys

Only 1 of them would be going to the Jets in said proposal.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
We are willing and able to pay the price, but don't really want, so we get creative to allow Winnipeg to get what they ask, while still getting what we want, and achieving the goal of the Ducks.

Downgrading both talent and term to a couple of years of Fowler is of no interest to a vast majority of Winnipeg fans.

The cost for Trouba reportedly is a similarly-aged young d-man, with similar NHL experience, talent, and upside. The proposal lacked that.

Am also aware that is difficult to acquire; that is surely the point of Chevy's reported asking price.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Maybe just a little bit,

1.2 is nothing to make up over his next contract. It's Dec 2nd that would hurt.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Downgrading both talent and term to a couple of years of Fowler is of no interest to a vast majority of Winnipeg fans.

The cost for Trouba reportedly is a similarly-aged young d-man, with similar NHL experience, talent, and upside. The proposal lacked that.

Am also aware that is difficult to acquire; that is surely the point of Chevy's reported asking price.

Are you implying that Chevy's asking for a return that he knows he is unlikely to receive in order to (financially/developmentally) hurt Trouba for his decision to ask for a trade?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Are you implying that Chevy's asking for a return that he knows he is unlikely to receive in order to (financially/developmentally) hurt Trouba for his decision to ask for a trade?

No; I'm suggesting that a sizable, young, physical, RHD, with plenty of upside is a rare quality available in trade right now and the cost to acquire him will most likely be punitive as such.

If the team losing that isn't made whole in the return, why trade him then? Chevy holds the cards, period.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah, I'd try to work out something with Toronto, Anaheim and Winnipeg.

Winnipeg ----> Cam Fowler + Andreas Johnsson
Anaheim -----> Nikita Soshnikov + Kasperi Kapanen
Toronto -----> Jacob Trouba

Toronto give's up some of our winger depth, but it'd still be incredibly deep.

Anaheim gets two very good near nhl ready wingers, and loses salary to sign Lindholm.

Winnipeg gets the young LHD they have been looking for, and gets an added prospect to sweeten the deal.

Overall, I think all teams achieve what they want out of this deal, even if some tweaking is needed

This is a horrible deal for the Jets. This trade hurts the Jets now and in the future. Easy pass

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

If Chevy doesn't take Fowler and a B prospect for a player that has no interest in playing for him, he's mad.

Fowler is a terrific player.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If Chevy doesn't take Fowler and a B prospect for a player that has no interest in playing for him, he's mad.

Taking a meh prospect and a player who is at best 50 cents on the dollar compared to Trouba would grounds to be fired.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
No; I'm suggesting that a sizable, young, physical, RHD, with plenty of upside is a rare quality available in trade right now and the cost to acquire him will most likely be punitive as such.

Chevy's asking price appears to be outside of the actual market value what other teams in the league are willing to pay. Otherwise a trade would have been completed by now.

I can estimate the value of my house. I can even set a minimum price that I'm willing to sell my house for. But that actual value of my house is not determined by myself, rather it is determined by what someone is actually willing to pay for it.

At this point I no longer believe that Chevy's primary goal with Trouba is to get his asking price in a trade. I believe his primary goal is to send a message to Trouba (and his other young RFA's) that he will not be bullied into giving into their demands.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Taking a meh prospect and a player who is at best 50 cents on the dollar compared to Trouba would grounds to be fired.

Agreed. Fowler is not as good as Trouba is now, and he has only 2 years before UFA, whereas Trouba isn't UFA for another 4 years.

I don't see Fowler as a reasonable basis for Trouba at all. I'd much prefer either a very good D prospect as the centerpiece, or a top-6 forward and a good D prospect.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006

The number of defensemen that meet the criteria of the Jets is near zero, and if there are any that meet that criteria, what team would want to trade their "equal" defenseman for one without a contract and that has demonstrated a willingness to play hard ball on their contract? This situation demands that the Jets end up losing out in some respect unless they are adding a plus on top of Trouba.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Maybe just a little bit,

Money vs being stuck in a place he clearly doesn't want to be. Not much of a contest.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
The number of defensemen that meet the criteria of the Jets is near zero, and if there are any that meet that criteria, what team would want to trade their "equal" defenseman for one without a contract and that has demonstrated a willingness to play hard ball on their contract? This situation demands that the Jets end up losing out in some respect unless they are adding a plus on top of Trouba.

This is the part I find amusing. I still remain unclear as to what Jets fans realistically think they can get for Trouba. I'm sure they are enjoying him losing money but how is that helping their team. There are very few teams that have the cap space or assets Jets fans seems to want.

Clearly Fowler isn't good enough
Krug doesn't seem to be who they like

Jets fans, can you name two realistic trades for Trouba that would make sense for both teams?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

The issue is jets fans see him as a young #1 D while he is more like a young #4 D.

That's why these threads devolve into flame wars, due to the difference in value from Jets fans vs the rest of the NHL fans.

I suspect it's something similar in real life. Jets GM wants a top pairing young LD, other teams see a potential trouble maker and a guy who has declined over the past few years statistically, who will need a new contract after acquiring him, and offer up #4 LD.

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Chevy is playing this the right way IMO. He's a young guy that's definitely money hungry. This is the age/contract that will set him up for life. Let him sit, he'll get desperate enough and then he'll end up signing long term to a more cap friendly contract. He remains a Jet IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad