Proposal: Trouba all encompassing trade thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Reilly is our top pairing LD who is not demanding a trade. If he was our 3rd pairing LD right now and Gardiner was on Winnipeg and was a RD of which we needed, then I'd probably think about it... but it's hard to compare situations.

Trying not to wear my Leafs goggles, Gardiner is basically exactly what they want and tacking Brown on makes it a great offer. I don't even want to give up Gardiner but we definitely need a young RD like Trouba.

I could be persuaded by a Gardiner + trade, but Brown is not the +. He would be quite far down the Jets depth chart at forward. He represents the very lowest area of need for the Jets.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
So you mean he will sit out an entire year? You cant honestly think having Trouba not play NHL hockey for an entire year and deciding to go through this situation again next summer is better for the team's future than trading him now.

If the improbable situation occured where Trouba did sit this entire year because Chevy didn't blink do you think Trouba would be willing to test him again?
No chance.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Reilly is our top pairing LD who is not demanding a trade. If he was our 3rd pairing LD right now and Gardiner was on Winnipeg and was a RD of which we needed, then I'd probably think about it... but it's hard to compare situations.

Trying not to wear my Leafs goggles, Gardiner is basically exactly what they want and tacking Brown on makes it a great offer. I don't even want to give up Gardiner but we definitely need a young RD like Trouba.

Sorry, hard to comprehend that first paragraph, but are you saying that Trouba is a third pairing D? If so, that's pretty far from the truth.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If the improbable situation occured where Trouba did sit this entire year because Chevy didn't blink do you think Trouba would be willing to test him again?
No chance.

I can say the exact same quote you just said but change the ending to "Do you think Trouba would be willing to play in Winnipeg again" and it would be just as true.

Not to mention it would painfully mess with his development.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
So you mean he will sit out an entire year? You cant honestly think having Trouba not play NHL hockey for an entire year and deciding to go through this situation again next summer is better for the team's future than trading him now.

Well it depends. If the offers for him are like the crap that has been posted in this thread than yeah, the Jets probably are better off letting him sit than trading him for a crap return and setting a terrible precedent in regards to their RFAs

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Gardiner, Brown, and a 3rd for Trouba and a 2nd?

Would you take offer for Rielly? Leaf fans need to look at what they would trade Rielly for and use that as a basis for their Trouba offers. Because some of these Leaf fan offer are brutally one sided.

Yeah but Rielly just signed a 6 year 5 million dollar contract and has not gone to the media asking for a trade
If you guys get better value than Gardiner + Brown have at it but I've got some serious doubts
Trouba has leverage as much as Jets fans want to say he does not
He can decide as of right now who you guys can trade him to and until he signs another contract that won't change
Any destinations he does not want to go to can easily be vetoed by him and his agent by refusing to sign with that team
We could offer Rielly right now and if Trouba won't sign with us that deal is over so he has leverage

This is going to be long and ugly

Deleted member 218451

It works both ways. Trouba sits and starts missing pay cheques and starts to realize that he needs to play. Chevy holds out for his required trade value and teams that are interested squeeze a better deal out of Trouba as he gets more desperate. The cheaper the deal, the more value Trouba has to an acquiring team, and therefore to Chevy. That's why Chevy will be willing to sit and wait. Once Trouba becomes more desperate his contract demands will come down and his trade value goes up.

Agreed. Just making the point that Jets don't hold all the leverage here that some are claiming. Trouba does have some especially now but needle moves to Jets the longer it goes IMO.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I could be persuaded by a Gardiner + trade, but Brown is not the +. He would be quite far down the Jets depth chart at forward. He represents the very lowest area of need for the Jets.

Well the basis of Gardiner + mid level prospect + 3rd for Trouba and a 2nd would make sense for both sides

As for the midlevel prospect, I don't know Winnipegs needs beyond a top4 LD.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It works both ways. Trouba sits and starts missing pay cheques and starts to realize that he needs to play. Chevy holds out for his required trade value and teams that are interested squeeze a better deal out of Trouba as he gets more desperate. The cheaper the deal, the more value Trouba has to an acquiring team, and therefore to Chevy. That's why Chevy will be willing to sit and wait. Once Trouba becomes more desperate his contract demands will come down and his trade value goes up.

Well pointed out. The organisation has the upper hand and they definitely do have tons of more dollars than the player. They'd be stupid to flinch into a bad deal to get a quick replacement. That's not going to happen and they are probably looking into options (outside of trading Trouba) as we speak in order to get a fix on the blue line. Also if Morrisey turns out ready, that will sort a lot of problems while easing up the pressure on the Jets' end and causing more headache on Trouba's camp.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010

It would make the jets future better in one regard, it would likely be the last RFA trying to force a trade from the Jets if he ended up sitting out a year because of this.

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
It would make the jets future better in one regard, it would likely be the last RFA trying to force a trade from the Jets if he ended up sitting out a year because of this.

Exactly, We can't set a precedent that the Jets are going to roll over for
an RFA. Put the boots to him now, so nobody else will ever try it.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Sorry, hard to comprehend that first paragraph, but are you saying that Trouba is a third pairing D? If so, that's pretty far from the truth.

No he is not, but he is on Winnipeg which is why he wants out.

Nope. He finished last season on the top pairing and was slotted there for next season. Prior to that he was on what would generalyu be called a “shutdown†pairing, even though the only thing his D partner could shut down is the Jets offence.

If you look at it from an analytics perspective instead of a subjective pairing designations, over the last couple seasons Trouba’s faced 1st pairing zone starts, 1st/2nd pairing QoC while paired with a 3rd pairing D partner. Keep in mind that in terms of impact on overall results QoT > Zone Starts > QoC so he’s faced the toughest overall deployment of any Jets D and still put up top pairing results for scoring and possession.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
For whom? Trouba? The jets will wait him out or get the trade they want.

This is over before Dec. 1

You actually think your GM can wait out Trouba for an entire year and risk missing the playoffs for the 5th time in his 6 year tenure, rather than make a deal and get something, even if it ends up being a left-shot forward, that can help the Jets win today?

I don't care how nice a prospect pool he's developed. One playoff appearance and ZERO playoff games won in 6 seasons for a non-expansion team and most GMs would likely find themselves on the unemployment line. Why do Jets fans think their guy is immune and has all the time in the world to get his absolute asking price and risk not provide his bosses with some form of playoff revenue for a 5th season out of 6.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
You actually think your GM can wait out Trouba for an entire year and risk missing the playoffs for the 5th time in his 6 year tenure, rather than make a deal and get something, even if it ends up being a left-shot forward, that can help the Jets win today?

I don't care how nice a prospect pool he's developed. One playoff appearance and ZERO playoff games won in 6 seasons for a non-expansion team and most GMs would likely find themselves on the unemployment line. Why do Jets fans think their guy is immune and has all the time in the world to get his absolute asking price and risk not provide his bosses with some form of playoff revenue for a 5th season out of 6.

Because his boss shares the same opinion as him, and because caving to Trouba sets a bad precedent that TNSE and Chevy don't want to set.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Why don't they just trade Myers?

Because in all likelihood the Right side Left side thing is BS, and the real reason he's holding out is that his parents want him to be playing in the US instead of Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad