Proposal: Trouba all encompassing trade thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
This is over before Dec. 1

You actually think your GM can wait out Trouba for an entire year and risk missing the playoffs for the 5th time in his 6 year tenure, rather than make a deal and get something, even if it ends up being a left-shot forward, that can help the Jets win today?

I don't care how nice a prospect pool he's developed. One playoff appearance and ZERO playoff games won in 6 seasons for a non-expansion team and most GMs would likely find themselves on the unemployment line. Why do Jets fans think their guy is immune and has all the time in the world to get his absolute asking price and risk not provide his bosses with some form of playoff revenue for a 5th season out of 6.

Yeah, this is what is boils down to, always the $$$.

Trouba's attitude unfortunately has hurt his trade value, but Chevy is a smart GM and I'm sure he'll extract a good deal out of someone. Thing is, Trouba may not ever live up to the rookie season hype. Could turn out like Dion Phaneuf. In which case, if WPG makes a good deal they could be laughing in a few years.

I think he should let it simmer for a month and then pull the trigger.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg

You actually think your GM can wait out Trouba for an entire year and risk missing the playoffs for the 5th time in his 6 year tenure, rather than make a deal and get something, even if it ends up being a left-shot forward, that can help the Jets win today?

I don't care how nice a prospect pool he's developed. One playoff appearance and ZERO playoff games won in 6 seasons for a non-expansion team and most GMs would likely find themselves on the unemployment line. Why do Jets fans think their guy is immune and has all the time in the world to get his absolute asking price and risk not provide his bosses with some form of playoff revenue for a 5th season out of 6.

If the Jets don't get the deal they want it will be over by Dec 1st....Because Trouba will not burn a year of salary and UFA eligibility....He will come back with his tail between his legs. Every 2 weeks that pass and every pay check JT misses the Jets turn up the heat more and more. The team just has to sit around the bubble line and fans won't put much heat on the GM. If we come out of the gate and go 3-10 then sure JT will start to get some leverage, but I think we are good enough to float along at .500 without him.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

So your opinion is that this is done soon because if not Chevy will be fired? Ya no. Maurice would go long before Chevy even if the Jets have another horrible season. I also can't see Chipman, who waited 16 years for an NHL team, being mad at Chevy for doing the smart thing and making the patient play with Trouba

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
That would look very bad on trouba.. Dictating who does or doesn't play on the team..

Is it? They could make a very smart hockey trade involving Myers, and I don't think it would be dictating anything. Trouba is the better player imo. But Myers has better trade value right now, imo.

But if the relationship between Trouba and the Jets is now irreconcilable, then that's a different story.

Otherwise, trading Myers (either for a left defenseman or a center) makes the most sense to me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If the Jets don't get the deal they want it will be over by Dec 1st....Because Trouba will not burn a year of salary and UFA eligibility....He will come back with his tail between his legs. Every 2 weeks that pass and every pay check JT misses the Jets turn up the heat more and more. The team just has to sit around the bubble line and fans won't put much heat on the GM. If we come out of the gate and go 3-10 then sure JT will start to get some leverage, but I think we are good enough to float along at .500 without him.

Quite possible. I don't discount the chances of Trouba's camp saying "to hell with it" signing a 1-year deal and go back to work.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Did his bosses tell you this?

If you follow the Jets organization closely you would know what kind of business man March Chipman is. He is a straight shooter and will not fold under the pressure this agent is trying to put on the organization IMHO. We are very lucky to have this type of ownership!

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Jets are very patient.

2 options actually for Trouba

1. Sit
2. Sign

Jets don't need to trade him. I swear Drouin did something similar last season and people all said let him sit... why is this any different? Cuz trouba doesn't have a contract? Who cares. He's an rfa and the jets don't have to trade him until they get what they want in return. Trouba sits... cool.... means he's an rfa and under jets control even longer. Jets have all the leverage just like Tampa did with Drouin

Jets have all the leverage....except that they don't get to have Trouba in the lineup. Or don't get a possible replacement to help them make the playoffs. They get to replace Trouba with their 8th best Dman instead.

Trading Trouba NOW means no distraction and the asset/assets coming back could hopefully be used to help them win games starting on game 1.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So your opinion is that this is done soon because if not Chevy will be fired? Ya no. Maurice would go long before Chevy even if the Jets have another horrible season. I also can't see Chipman, who waited 16 years for an NHL team, being mad at Chevy for doing the smart thing and making the patient play with Trouba

Your looking at in in a microscope.

If the Jets miss the playoffs again, even if they find a deal for Trouba, you have to think Chevy should be nervous about his job security. Unless his bosses are just really forgiving folks who accept constant failure and don't mind him not generating revenue from the hockey ops he is in charge of.

Miss the playoffs again and good chance both Maurice and Chevy are gone.

Now maybe the Jets are 1st place overall come the last week of December and Chevy isn't concerned about making a quick Trouba deal.

But if this team is trending towards a 5th playoff DNQ in 6 years, you don't think he won't feel pressure to make a move and get his team some immediate help?

Heck he could make an amazing deal on Trouba, miss the playoffs, and still get canned.

To be honest, given how little on-ice success his team's have had, and how little of the core of the current club was acquired under his watch, I'm surprised Chevy gets the support of Jets fans that he does. I've certainly never seen a fanbase accept on-ice failure and let their GM off the hook they way I've seen Jets fans on this board. And I don't think he's done a terrible job, but as the old saying goes, this is a results driven business.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Quite possible. I don't discount the chances of Trouba's camp saying "to hell with it" signing a 1-year deal and go back to work.

The Jets won't offer a one year deal.
They won't want to deal with again next summer.

The closer to Dec 1 the longer the term will become.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If you follow the Jets organization closely you would know what kind of business man March Chipman is. He is a straight shooter and will not fold under the pressure this agent is trying to put on the organization IMHO. We are very lucky to have this type of ownership!

Your lucky to have the type of ownership that accepts not making the playoffs year in, year out, just to make a stand against demanding prima donna players and their disliked agents.

How lucky your fanbase is. :sarcasm:

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

If the Jets miss the playoffs again, even if they find a deal for Trouba, you have to think Chevy should be nervous about his job security. Unless his bosses are just really forgiving folks who accept constant failure and don't mind him not generating revenue from the hockey ops he is in charge of.

Now maybe the Jets are 1st place overall come the last week of December and Chevy isn't concerned about making a quick Trouba deal.

But if this team is trending towards a 5th playoff DNQ in 6 years, you don't think he won't feel pressure to make a move and get his team some immediate help?

Heck he could make an amazing deal on Trouba, miss the playoffs, and still get canned.

To be honest, given how little on-ice success his team's have had, and how little of the core of the current club was acquired under his watch, I'm surprised Chevy gets the support of Jets fans that he does. I've certainly never seen a fanbase accept on-ice failure and let their GM off the hook they way I've seen Jets fans on this board. And I don't think he's done a terrible job, but as the old saying goes, this is a results driven business.

The Jets could finish in last place this year and Chevy would be safe.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The Jets won't offer a one year deal.
They won't want to deal with again next summer.

The closer to Dec 1 the longer the term will become.

So you think they are going to go from "trade me" to "I'll sign a 4-5 year deal"?

Good lord. :shakehead

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The Jets could finish in last place this year and Chevy would be safe.

And why is that?

Seriously, I don't get it. Does he have dirty info on Chipman or something? What makes him immune to losing his job generating results over a 6 year period that would get 95% of NHL GMs fired.

Why does Chevy have zero pressure on him to put together a winning product?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
And why is that?

Seriously, I don't get it. Does he have dirty info on Chipman or something? What makes him immune to losing his job generating results over a 6 year period that would get 95% of NHL GMs fired.

I don't know it either. But there have never been any signs of pressure to win.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
And why is that?

Because... it's a process. :banana:

I don't get it either.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
And why is that?

Because Chevy is executing ownerships plan.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Your lucky to have the type of ownership that accepts not making the playoffs year in, year out, just to make a stand against demanding prima donna players and their disliked agents.

How lucky your fanbase is. :sarcasm:

Some of us do feel lucky (and obviously some don't). I suppose it comes down to whether you think the franchise is poised to become a perennial contender within the next few seasons, Trouba issue aside. I happen to think Chevy's patience for the past 5 years has served us well for the long term. You are welcome to disagree and we'll see who is right within a couple years.

You sure do seem worried about the Jets organization. Why so invested in what they do with Trouba?

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
The Jets are probably another season or 2 away from having their young players peaking. Even Byfuglien himself said this in an interview on how the future is bright in this organization. There is no rush. We're close but are just not quite there yet. The suggestion that Chevy's job is in trouble if the Jets miss the playoffs is laughable and shows whoever thinks this is not in touch with where the Jets are at in a player development level.

The Jets will either trade Trouba for equal value or let him sit. Period. TNSE is not going to get bullied and set a bad precedent for future RFAS. Craig Button put it best in this interview on the situation as a whole. What he said at the 7:20 mark speaks volumes on how TNSE is regarded by many within hockey circles. http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/button-trouba-will-be-traded-on-jets-terms-1.575015 .For the record, I agreed with everything he said there.

Last edited:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

I think the expectations of the fans over these 5 years has been patience. They could see the cupboard was bare and they waited for this team to gather young talent.

They've had their own 6 first rounders since 2011 when they arrived. Plus the kane e and Ladd deals netted them 2 firsts plus dano and armia who were selected in the first round in the past 5 years. Add in little and burmistrom. From their Atlanta days and they have 12 first rounders all well under 30.

It's now time for Chevy to prove that he can transition from the GM of a rebuilding team to a GM of a contending team. Can he move assets around like Bowman and Lombardi to push the jets from dnq to playoff team and contender over the next couple of seasons. If not, find a GM who can.

Be patient to get a good deal, but he honestly think here is no ideal deal out there. No Lindholm or Reilly coming back. Get the best assets and then find another deal yo grab a defenseman.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Did his bosses tell you this?

I know his boss, and how he operates his businesses, and I'd be willing to bet a lot on my speculation being closer to reality than your interpretation.

The plan is to build a young team of players, and to not waste assets for less than value because they put up a fight, when they don't have to. This is the guy who sat on the Kane situation for 3 years, and I even give Kane credit for that because he signed a contract that could be traded and continued to play for the Jets.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010

Why do non jets fans think that the jets have no choice to give Jacob Trouba away for nothing?

Maybe the GM's job is on the line, maybe it is not. The jets will be in the playoffs this year with or with out Trouba and win at least one playoff game. You heard it here first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad