Training Camp 2017 [Mod warning post #676]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
GameCenter live is the only legal way to watch it online. No discussion of any other methods is allowed.

Don't let your streams be dreams :D

smoky_mountain_stream.jpg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This whole talk about fourth line is missing this point. We should not be talking fourth line but I want good bottom six.
Meaning I had
Copp Lowry dano on fourth line
And
Connor Petan/Roslo Armia on third, even better, Connor with Litts and wheels and MP here.

Now doesn't that look good. Putting Hendricks in kills my whole plan. I wanted bottom six to play equal minutes and then some get more ice on special teams. This is why I hate this fourth line we will deploy.

Yea puck stoppa I wasn't going to comment too much on this topic until we see how it plays out and really its all going to come down to the goaltending this season anyways....BUT......why are we talking about the 4th line when we should be talking about icing two 3rd lines? One bad apple turns it into a sheltered 4th line really quickly and it is a lost opportunity. A shift in philosophy to a more modern balanced line approach could add wins.

Now I going to wait and see how it all unfolds this season. My hopes are that they at least give this a try a few times and fight the urge to use a 4th line as the usual dumping ground.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/petan-looking-past-growing-pains-444950603.html

Petan quote:
"My line changed a lot last year, from guys going in and out of the lineup and me going in and out of the lineup. From my wingers being (Drew) Stafford to Thorburn to (Andrew) Copp to (Brandon) Tanev... the key part is getting chemistry with whoever you’re going to play with. That’s the biggest thing in hockey — duos, trios — you gotta have chemistry to make good stuff happen on the ice," he said.

"They know the fourth line’s not my role, but they continue to put me in that position, but also gave me a power-play position, which is a little different. Not many players have that in the league, so I was thankful in a way. But I also want to help the team more and I think playing in a different position will help me help the team more."

Interesting comments. Hope they don't sink him with PoMo, he of the "this isn't rec hockey" quote.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Interesting comments. Hope they don't sink him with PoMo, he of the "this isn't rec hockey" quote.

I don't see anything wrong with it. He want a and feels he can contribute in a larger role. That should be the type of mindset the coach wants in his players.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/petan-looking-past-growing-pains-444950603.html

Petan quote:
"My line changed a lot last year, from guys going in and out of the lineup and me going in and out of the lineup. From my wingers being (Drew) Stafford to Thorburn to (Andrew) Copp to (Brandon) Tanev... the key part is getting chemistry with whoever you’re going to play with. That’s the biggest thing in hockey — duos, trios — you gotta have chemistry to make good stuff happen on the ice," he said.

"They know the fourth line’s not my role, but they continue to put me in that position, but also gave me a power-play position, which is a little different. Not many players have that in the league, so I was thankful in a way. But I also want to help the team more and I think playing in a different position will help me help the team more."
easy solution. just keep connor on the moose and this way you can play on 3rd line were you belong. good to hear that he is thankful for the playing time last year too. in a way.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A few things pieced together have stuck out for me, I think they're now viewing camp more as getting the systems together and ready for the season rather than development for the younger players. A few of the guys not going to Pentiction when they normally would've and a mostly vet lineup tomorrow just screams that to me. Last year they also made cuts late, plus Maurice was gone for a large portion and they had new coaches. They were caught with their pants down for last seasons training camp. I bet this year there will be earlier cuts than usual.

Completely agree and that is how it should be. Being fluid and flexible as the situation warrants.

They had to get to this point by doing what they have, now they have to do things differently to get to the next point, and they are.

This is a very good point that I also notice. From everything you mentioned above to Chevy's offseason moves to the player saying it is time to make the playoffs period. This TC is all about getting the team ready to come firing out of the gate and get some early wins to have the other teams chase us instead of us chasing them. Management knows that Jets fans are getting impatiens and want to win NOW. This should be seen as a very good sign to all the people that are worried that Hendricks will destroy any chance we have to make the playoff because he is on the 4th line. If Hendricks is as bad as you think he is and will cost us wins he will never see the ice except at practice.

I agree with both these comments and they fit well together. Time for evaluating is past. Time to win is starting. Looking forward for a little taste of hockey tonight.

Yea at the risk of a piling on penalty everything has been different about this off season and its pretty clear that we are in a win now mode. Even looking at the forwards they are rolling out tonight for the first preseason game it seems like they are setting a tone. The debate is never going to end about what path we took to get here and how long it has taken but to me at least its crystal clear that this season has beeen different from the start.

I predicted Chevy would have an active off season, that we would add a goalie, that we will get between 103 to 105 points and finish 2nd in our division. For the first time in 7 years we begin the season with a proven starting NHL goalie and combine that with a talented back up. I predict they will achieve league average save % and that will be more than enough for a group as talented as the 2017-18 Jets.

Mostly I am really looking forward to the regular season stress that comes with being in the hunt for a playoff spot. That feeling of being alive like we had in 2014-15.

Glad they are dropping the puck tonight.......lets get this rolling.

Last edited:

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
easy solution. just keep connor on the moose and this way you can play on 3rd line were you belong.

When you have Perrault and Armia in your top 9, Petan starts season with an opportunity for a minimum of 30 games of opportunity due to injuries to get into the top 9. It a matter of if he can get that time over Copp, Matthias and Dano. I don't see him getting much chance with PoMo's love of Matthias and Copp though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
easy solution. just keep connor on the moose and this way you can play on 3rd line were you belong. good to hear that he is thankful for the playing time last year too. in a way.

Connor is too good for the Moose, and will be better than Petan. Petan is also probably too good for the Moose, and will need to find his way onto the 4th line to begin.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Connor is too good for the Moose, and will be better than Petan. Petan is also probably too good for the Moose, and will need to find his way onto the 4th line to begin.

I'm not so certain that Armia is that secure in his spot on the third. He has yet to produce much in the NHL and he's a couple of years older than Petan. Given that Moe seems to want a dynamic top 9, Armia is going to have to produce early to keep the spot. If Petan can cone in and produce while playing responsible in camp he might just win it.

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016
GameCenter live is the only legal way to watch it online. No discussion of any other methods is allowed.

Not quite true - if have TSN3 through Bell/Shaw/et al., you can watch online through TSN.ca.

This is nice for me as we had a break in a few weeks ago and the tv happened to walk away; this lets me catch the game on the computer tonight.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Not quite true - if have TSN3 through Bell/Shaw/et al., you can watch online through TSN.ca.

This is nice for me as we had a break in a few weeks ago and the tv happened to walk away; this lets me catch the game on the computer tonight.

I live in Vancouver. TSNGo (TSN live stream) is blacked out here for Jet games because it's outside the Jets regional network.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Can we talk about legit power play and PK lines?

How the bottom 6 players perform on the PK will be a major factor in whether or not they make the opening night roster.

#giveDanoachance

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

I wonder if Petan would be better served to start the season on the Moose. If Petan is to developed into a MP or better type player like we all hope he is I think playing 20+ mins a game playing C or on the wing would help him so much more then being lost on the 4th line. Conner has already proven that he can dominate in the A, Petan has yet to do so. Also I think a decision needs to be made if the Jets want to develop Petan as a C or winger, personally I think any future in the NHL for Petan will be on the wing not at C.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Pretty safe bet most of these guys get in the next game

Petan
Roslovic
Matthias
Copp
Hendricks
Tanev
Harkins
Spacek
DeLeo
Trouba
Morrissey
Kulikov
Myers
Melchiori
Niku
Mason

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Since improving the PK is high on he agenda this year and Armia is our takeaway and shorthanded goal leader he would have to mess up big time to find himself out of the lineup. I don't see that happening.

I'm not so certain that Armia is that secure in his spot on the third. He has yet to produce much in the NHL and he's a couple of years older than Petan. Given that Moe seems to want a dynamic top 9, Armia is going to have to produce early to keep the spot. If Petan can cone in and produce while playing responsible in camp he might just win it.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Since improving the PK is high on he agenda this year and Armia is our takeaway and shorthanded goal leader he would have to mess up big time to find himself out of the lineup. I don't see that happening.

he has a horrible shot and his PPG is, well, pathetic.

you would have to look at Petan - also a skill guy - taking that role as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad