Training Camp 2017 [Mod warning post #676]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
I have no doubt that they will have success. Like I said, how could they not? I'm not sure they will be better than some of the alternatives. I like Little and Wheeler together. I did not particularly like Laine and Little. I also like Scheif and Ehlers.

Even if LSW works very well I don't think MP - L - E works. I could be wrong of course but I think the sum of the top 6 will be less.

But this is TC. It is the time to try things. :)

Could not agree more! Spot on.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
At this point I don't think Petan has the defensive chops to play center. Still a negative possession guy despite being pushed into the OZ. Like MP wing offers a chance to free up his game. If he starts playing with more pace he could be a very effective middle 6 winger.

Yes. But we don't have any middle 6 vacancies, either left or right wing. We have lots of left shot prospects too. Not many on the right but no current vacancies either.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks to all who have given their TC reports.

Really getting jacked up for the season to start after hearing some of your assessments from TC. The top 6 look to be in game shape. A buff Buff. Kulikov with a bit of nasty in him. JoMo and Trouba impenetrable. Just having a healthy Myers and Enstrom. Mason looking like a #1 goalie. The youngsters working on their weaknesses over the summer and showing up ready to compete for a spot. It all bodes extremely well. Despite all the handwringing over Hendricks' usage and PoMo's coaching acumen. There's a lot more to look forward to this fall than ever, and a lot less to worry about.
Can't wait for the regular season to start in October.

Yup. Everything is looking very promising. Well .... almost everything. :laugh:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Well given that the Jets finished 13th (2 blocks back of Columbus) in shot blocks they don't suck at it. I also don't subscribe to shot blocking being the be all end all. If you block more shots it generally means you don't have the puck enough.
With regards to the PK the problem with Moe's use of shot blockers is that the guys he has out like Stuart etc are terrible at reading the play.
I don't want teams to get shots off. I want our unit to pressure and disrupt the other teams so that they can't get set up to take shots. Being able to read the play and get sticks in lanes is more important than shot blocking on the PK imo.

Most penalties though. Blocks per penLty stat?

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
i only give a **** if Hendricks is getting legit ice time and is in the line-up on the regular.
hey, 4th line is the 4th line. this aint the Red Army team, where 4 lines are being rolled out equally. yes, i'd love to have a skilled fourth line that plays 5 minutes a game, but i care about the top 9 and i don't lose much sleep over the 4th line.

the only thing i'd say about Hendricks is his PK metrics may have sucked, but, admitedly not having looking at Oilers' analytics, i'd be taking his #s with a grain of salt. the Oilers' D is still gross. them, Colorado, the Leafs...just not spectacular D-men on those teams. and that would carry over to the PK. so how much of the PK #s are resting on him? i've read that the Oilers were better on the PK with him off the ice, but, again, their D's so gross that i just wonder what that really means.
Oilers were 8th in GA. Chevy would cut off 2 of his fingers for that type of gross.

IF he can kill penalties then great. But you know what else you are going to see? Hendricks out in key faceoff situations because that's what they know he can do. 2 or less minutes left, winning or losing in a close game he's out there sucking every second he's out there after the puck is dropped.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How about the d pairings

The first pairing seems cast in stone but I guess we don't know what the 2nd and third pair will look like.

Kulikov has been with Myers to start but I imagine we will get a look at Kulikov with both he and Buff.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
A few things pieced together have stuck out for me, I think they're now viewing camp more as getting the systems together and ready for the season rather than development for the younger players. A few of the guys not going to Pentiction when they normally would've and a mostly vet lineup tomorrow just screams that to me. Last year they also made cuts late, plus Maurice was gone for a large portion and they had new coaches. They were caught with their pants down for last seasons training camp. I bet this year there will be earlier cuts than usual.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It looked he was going pretty hard to me. He was definitely mixing it up. The practice was such a high tempo you can't really ease into many of those drills.

Good news. I didn't like hearing that he was held back the first day.

Thanks for the reports BTW. That bunny guy too. :thumbu:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A few things pieced together have stuck out for me, I think they're now viewing camp more as getting the systems together and ready for the season rather than development for the younger players. A few of the guys not going to Pentiction when they normally would've and a mostly vet lineup tomorrow just screams that to me. Last year they also made cuts late, plus Maurice was gone for a large portion and they had new coaches. They were caught with their pants down for last seasons training camp. I bet this year there will be earlier cuts than usual.

I agree. There is very little developing and evaluation of prospects going on this camp. The fact that they have one group that is almost wholly the NHL roster plus the closest hopefuls speaks volumes of how quickly the coaching staff plans on moving.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hendricks was owning everyone in the face off drill at the end so I would expect he's still elite at it. He however has terrible PK metrics so unless he wins the draw and we clear it and he books it to the bench i don't see how he helps the PK.

I personally don't see how dressing a below replacement level player at the key 4th line spot does anything but make the entire line a liability. I've had enough of a 5 to 7 minute 4th line that can't be counted on tobhold their own. We have the talent for better.

Good to hear he can still win face-offs. I'd rather he just teach our other C's.
I agree otherwise.
IIRC PoMo used Slater that way sometimes. It didn't work very well. He took himself out of the play racing for the bench.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
This whole talk about fourth line is missing this point. We should not be talking fourth line but I want good bottom six.
Meaning I had
Copp Lowry dano on fourth line
And
Connor Petan/Roslo Armia on third, even better, Connor with Litts and wheels and MP here.

Now doesn't that look good. Putting Hendricks in kills my whole plan. I wanted bottom six to play equal minutes and then some get more ice on special teams. This is why I hate this fourth line we will deploy.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Just got back from a weekend trip to Big Sur. Beautiful place but zero service. Anyone notice Ehls? Skimmed the tread but only saw people complaining about a PB guy that might get a couple of minutes on the 4th :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How about the d pairings

Didn't we settle that here about 30 secs after Kulikov was signed?
JoMo - Trouba
Kuli - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
We even have the #7, Chiarot.
I haven't seen anyone question that.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Didn't we settle that here about 30 secs after Kulikov was signed?
JoMo - Trouba
Kuli - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
We even have the #7, Chiarot.
I haven't seen anyone question that.
Im pretty sure it's not settled as far as the team is concerned.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This whole talk about fourth line is missing this point. We should not be talking fourth line but I want good bottom six.
Meaning I had
Copp Lowry dano on fourth line
And
Connor Petan/Roslo Armia on third, even better, Connor with Litts and wheels and MP here.

Now doesn't that look good. Putting Hendricks in kills my whole plan. I wanted bottom six to play equal minutes and then some get more ice on special teams. This is why I hate this fourth line we will deploy.

Thats it exactly. It isn't just one guy for 5 min a game. It is about the whole bottom 6.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Well I guess we could all make 1 post listing our top 9 and then shut down until the season opens.

What else is there to talk about? The top 9 is cast in stone as is the top 6 D and the goaltending.

There's a difference between talk and discussion and just another excuse for people to puke on Maurice which IMO there has been way too much of. There was even 2 or 3 pages rehashing the expansion draft in this thread so they could puke on Chevy for gods sake.

It's called proportion and balance.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I'd rather have the puck and not have to block a shot, thank you very much.

For the record the #1 shot blocking team last year was the New York Islanders, who didn't make the playoffs. They were 11th in PK.

SJ was #2 blocked shots, #18 PK

Ottawa #3, #22

Dallas #4, #30

You can see how blocking shots really doesn't determine how good you are at killing penalties.

EDIT

Philly #5, #21
Pittsburgh #6, #20
EDM #7, #17

And for the flip side, Boston, the #1 penalty kill in the league, was 22nd in blocked shots.
Florida, the #2 penalty killing team, was dead last in blocked shots.

This is my favourite post of the week! Nice stats!

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
LcnEdTX.gif

This is great..still think Petan will have a huge impact on this team going forward..

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016

Completely agree and that is how it should be. Being fluid and flexible as the situation warrants.

They had to get to this point by doing what they have, now they have to do things differently to get to the next point, and they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad