Trades you’d try to make in the off season for Detroit.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not worried about both Tkachuk's within our division. We beat "Walt", we will beat the stepbros. FLA looks like the beast of the east with TB losing McDon., Palat etc., but Weegar was a very good piece. Huberdeau wasn't worth keeping based on a career yr./contract. I'm not sold on the Panthers D though & they could use an upgrade @ 2RW (Hornqvsit) + bottom6F's. +Bob can be very volatile. CAR is probably the class of the East actually with the more balanced roster, $4m current Capspace.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Or the new Toronto. I'll take continued growth with Seider and Company on the blue line over needing to win games 6-5.
That Weegar inclusion is gonna hurt them like McDon. being gone will hurt TB. Both solid Def. & tough to play against.

Tantamount to DAL trading Lindell or Minn.& Brodin, NSH & Ekholm. You just can't replace them, & they're 1 of the last players that should be traded.

Guess Zito felt pressure after the post haste whisk broom treatment via the Bolts.
I thought 20/21 & 21/22 were their best chance to advance deep in to at least a ECF/SCF, if not win it.

Now they seem to be past prime/latter stages of their window, at least imo. Kinda like, "anything can happen, but don't expect it to happen now" sorta way.

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
I think fla got worse today. I'm not sure why they did the deal to be honest. Calgary's GM made a great deal.

If I'm Yzerman, I'm trying to trade for Barkov right now. Not laughing during the conversation might be difficult.

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Stupid trade I think.

I like the Panthers too but... whatever. Way too much for Tkachuck.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Stupid trade I think.

I like the Panthers too but... whatever. Way too much for Tkachuck.

There was too big risk to lose either Huberdeau or Weegar for free agency.

Also, comitting for Huberdeau with same or even more money than Barkov would not have been the smartest move for the organization. There was huge pressure for a lucrative deal. Regular season point.scorer, who will always disappear at the playoffs. This was a needed change for a more playoff-mode direction for the Panthers.

Barkov + Tkachuk together are a nightmare duo to play against.

Cap is a big influencer in trades currently. Player vs. player values look like "oh, they got a steal", but there are cap restrictions on the other side, which will turn the trades this way.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
There was too big risk to lose either Huberdeau or Weegar for free agency.

Also, comitting for Huberdeau with same or even more money than Barkov would not have been the smartest move for the organization. There was huge pressure for a lucrative deal. Regular season point.scorer, who will always disappear at the playoffs. This was a needed change for a more playoff-mode direction for the Panthers.

Barkov + Tkachuk together are a nightmare duo to play against.

Cap is a big influencer in trades currently. Player vs. player values look like "oh, they got a steal", but there are cap restrictions on the other side, which will turn the trades this way.
I'd say something should of happened with Bobrovsky vs something like this.

I really really don't even think they're any better... They're just Barkov/Tkachuck; which cool; but what the hell. lol. They're not gonna win a thing.(IMO).

Ownership did get a really marketable player in a bad hockey market though.(IN a huge broadcast/media market) Maybe that's more important to ownership down there(wouldn't be a terrible idea.)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Bill Zito lost his mind lol

No way Stevie could match it (nor should he lol)

C80F9319-A7CB-4D5D-BB02-D34C3C79BA1D.jpeg

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Can you repeat yourself so I can f'ing laugh some more? Tell me outbidding Florida would have been a good idea, lol.

Maybe I just have a better feel on how the league works, the trade return was waaaay closer to what I expected along with his salary than anyone else here. Go back, take a look and tell me I was wrong.

You seem confused, I was calling you out because you were trying to shut down a conversation by telling us a trade to Detroit would never happen and people were trying to "change reality" by talking about it. Some people like to discuss possibilities even if they aren't 100% likely to happen. You are so full of yourself and blinded by trying to get a W, you don't even realize I never said anything to you about your valuation or salary expectations.

Last edited:

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Not worried about both Tkachuk's within our division. We beat "Walt", we will beat the stepbros. FLA looks like the beast of the east with TB losing McDon., Palat etc., but Weegar was a very good piece. Huberdeau wasn't worth keeping based on a career yr./contract. I'm not sold on the Panthers D though & they could use an upgrade @ 2RW (Hornqvsit) + bottom6F's. +Bob can be very volatile. CAR is probably the class of the East actually with the more balanced roster, $4m current Capspace.
You would really think that they have to move either Hornqvist or offload Bobrovsky in order to create cap space to aid that awful looking defence they currently have.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This deal reminds me a lot of the initial reaction to Shanahan for Coffey and Primeau by the way.

You want to get the best player in the deal, especially when the chips are down in the playoffs. Also key is who is the best player moving forward. Florida just did that along with likely a culture change.

It's hard to really explain to people that don't get Panthers games and I do as my local market how different both of the guys they just shipped to Calgary have been regular season versus the playoffs. But it was a massive factor in this move in my opinion. I should say I don't think Weegar is quite as good even regular season as some believe, his is less fall off than exposure in my opinion. He plays harder than most guys in the league on a Tuesday in January, it is one of his strengths.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This deal reminds me a lot of the initial reaction to Shanahan for Coffey and Primeau by the way.

You want to get the best player in the deal, especially when the chips are down in the playoffs. Also key is who is the best player moving forward. Florida just did that along with likely a culture change.

It's hard to really explain to people that don't get Panthers games and I do as my local market how different both of the guys they just shipped to Calgary have been regular season versus the playoffs. But it was a massive factor in this move in my opinion. I should say I don't think Weegar is quite as good even regular season as some believe, his is less fall off than exposure in my opinion. He plays harder than most guys in the league on a Tuesday in January, it is one of his strengths.
Last year Huberdeau was great in the playoffs. He’s a puck possession wiz.

I like Tkachuck a lot but really hard to not see this trade as very sus from a value perspective.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Last year Huberdeau was great in the playoffs. He’s a puck possession wiz.

I like Tkachuck a lot but really hard to not see this trade as very sus from a value perspective.
Huh? He was great on the PP one year, that is pretty much all. He hasn't been nearly the player you thought he would be come that time of year. I like Huberdeau a lot, used to say I thought that he was Lafreniere best comparable entering the league. There are also rumors of hitting up strip clubs the evenings before games on their way to flaming out to their instate rivals. A huge part of this is a cultural change.

They also get 6 years younger, so they just took all of Tkachuk's prime for Hubie last couple years then 5 to 6 years of his decline at 10 million. Like Huberdeau wanted Barkov's exact deal if not more were the rumors down here.

I have explained that I don't value Weegar all that highly.

I would be much happier paying Tkachuk 8 X 9.5 than Huberdeau would you not?

I think for us, in division, the Panthers got better long-term with this deal. Now they will need to work around their D this year, I would love to strike at that opportunity and try to do something with Hronek and them. But I think they have more flexibility today than they did yesterday. I mean I assume for those gobsmacked by the return they were planning to tie up 15 to 18ish million on Weegar and Hubie they might receive on the next deals right?

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
The NHL in 96/97 vs now is way different though. PFs are more a luxory than a need to do well in the playoffs.

Defense wins championships unless you have a prime Malkin/Crosby combo and even then you had Fleury and Letang backing that up.

I still see 75% of the faults that Florida had last year and now no cap space or picks to address it.

I still take Tampa's core over theirs. It is way more balanced. (And I like Barkov and Ekblad)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Huh? He was great on the PP one year, that is pretty much all. He hasn't been nearly the player you thought he would be come that time of year. I like Huberdeau a lot, used to say I thought that he was Lafreniere best comparable entering the league. There are also rumors of hitting up strip clubs the evenings before games on their way to flaming out to their instate rivals. A huge part of this is a cultural change.

They also get 6 years younger, so they just took all of Tkachuk's prime for Hubie last couple years then 5 to 6 years of his decline at 10 million. Like Huberdeau wanted Barkov's exact deal if not more were the rumors down here.

I have explained that I don't value Weegar all that highly.

I would be much happier paying Tkachuk 8 X 9.5 than Huberdeau would you not?

I think for us, in division, the Panthers got better long-term with this deal. Now they will need to work around their D this year, I would love to strike at that opportunity and try to do something with Hronek and them. But I think they have more flexibility today than they did yesterday. I mean I assume for those gobsmacked by the return they were planning to tie up 15 to 18ish million on Weegar and Hubie they might receive on the next deals right?
Power play goals don’t count in the playoffs? That’s too bad.

Look at Huberdeau’s career post-season possession numbers, they’re fantastic. He had a disappointing post-season after having a phenomenal regular season where people finally caught up to and realized what kind of talent he is.

I think dealing him in a trade like this is an bit of an over-reaction to these recent play-offs. If there are off-ice concerns, then that is a factor and worth considering for sure. I was not aware of that.

I like Tkachuck a ton, but no I would not have given up that package for him. Wouldn’t have even really given much thought to it. Just my personal opinion.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Power play goals don’t count in the playoffs? That’s too bad.

Look at Huberdeau’s career post-season possession numbers, they’re fantastic. He had a disappointing post-season after having a phenomenal regular season where people finally caught up to and realized what kind of talent he is.

I think dealing him in a trade like this is an bit of an over-reaction to these recent play-offs. If there are off-ice concerns, then that is a favor and worth considering for sure. I was not aware of that.

I like Tkachuck a ton, but no I would not have given up that package for him. Wouldn’t have even really given much thought to it. Just my personal opinion.
They do, for sure I have made that argument as well. I am just starting to wonder if his pure passing approach is helping come the post-season. Their PP failing all playoffs was also probably laid at his feet. Make no mistake that is what got them sent home and he was terrible clear back to the Washington series.

Hard to judge on one, but you're entering a free agency year as a likely playoff team. So it isn't like the reigning President's Trophy winners are going to get to pivot and move him at the deadline. Zito cashed him in for a younger more complete player. I think the kicker is Weegar, who they really had no shot of retaining and is a player I just personally don't agree with the hype around, but they certainly had almost zero chance of signing. I mean I guess we will wait and see, the Flames I think have to believe they are going to sign Huberdeau and if I am him I ask for the reported Johnny Hockey offer. They could also choose to flip Weegar and Hubie for even more. But I just think when you make a trade getting the best player is generally the right idea. While I like Huberdeau a lot, I do feel Tkachuk is the best player and I agree with some of the asset management out of Florida when I look beyond this season especially.

I would have been happy to trade Bert, Hronek, Zadina/Berggren and a first for Tkachuk and extend him to this along with hopefully the bonus structure from Florida that is being reported. I believe in the player.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I think fla got worse today. I'm not sure why they did the deal to be honest. Calgary's GM made a great deal.

If I'm Yzerman, I'm trying to trade for Barkov right now. Not laughing during the conversation might be difficult.
How are we going to get Barkov from them? Larkin + what?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00