Trades you’d try to make in the off season for Detroit.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Basically what sort of players would you go after and what sort of trades would you try to swing if you were yzerman and were the GM. We aren’t gonna be able to just build this team in free agency. Personally, I’d give whatever offer we maybe had for barzal and give it all plus more for roope hintz.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd be willing to package any asset not named Seider / Raymond / Larkin if the right center is available. I'd also love to deal for a top 4 defenseman.

But naming specific targets is another matter. It's not as if other teams routinely advertise their best players being available.

Is anybody up against the cap with a kid we think could quickly grow into the right role? I'd prefer a known commodity, but that's the other option (which would also require a lower price tag).

Reactions: David D

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Trade for the rights to Klingberg. Work out a new contract with him.

Then dangle Hronek and whatever else isn't bolted down as trade bait.
Why not just sign klingberg? Isn’t he a ufa. Why waste assets when we could just give him top dollar? I completely agree with the hronek trade idea though, especially if we get klingberg.

Reactions: WF19

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Basically what sort of players would you go after and what sort of trades would you try to swing if you were yzerman and were the GM. We aren’t gonna be able to just build this team in free agency. Personally, I’d give whatever offer we maybe had for barzal and give it all plus more for roope hintz.

Absolutely love Hintz but as a fan of his I'm a little worried about his hip issue long-term. For example, as Backstrom ages he's really struggled to stay healthy. I know he's playing through a lot. But who knows with those things really. Same with Bert's back, I suppose.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Why not just sign klingberg? Isn’t he a ufa. Why waste assets when we could just give him top dollar? I completely agree with the hronek trade idea though, especially if we get klingberg.

Because historically the team that trades for rights signs the player. It's a way to guarantee an exclusive contract period and most guys take the deal.

In a perfect world you just get him in UFA but that's a far bigger gamble.

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022

Who cares about a late round pick to get exclusive negotiating rights for a time? Nothing wagered...

Reactions: Bench

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Who cares about a late round pick to get exclusive negotiating rights for a time? Nothing wagered...
If it’s truly a late round pick I wouldn’t care, I wouldn’t love trading like a 2nd for someone who we could just sign but I wouldn’t be THAT angry. I’m just saying I don’t think we will need to trade for his rights if we were to sign him.

Reactions: Oddbob

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
I get it. He may have no interest in being the #2 RD. Agree, late round only.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If it’s truly a late round pick I wouldn’t care, I wouldn’t love trading like a 2nd for someone who we could just sign but I wouldn’t be THAT angry. I’m just saying I don’t think we will need to trade for his rights if we were to sign him.

A 4th or 5th round pick to get his rights and then launch Hronek and Zadina over to Holland And the Oilers or whoever is crazy enough to think they can salvage those guys for a few picks.

Another thought; Hronek, Zadina and Tuomisto for Ty Tullio, Kassian and Poolparty. Poolparty is up for a raise, Kassian is making over 3 mil. That gives Edmonton room to keep Evander Kane, get a real goalie and give other raises.

Also trading Erne for a bag of pucks wouldn't hurt. I know those things get expensive.

Suter and Fabbri should go to a team that is actually trying to tank like Arizona, Seattle or Montreal, Their offensive production is ok for middle six guys but what I really dislike about them is the poor defensive play. I would love to swipe Gourde from Seattle to be our 2/3c if it is possible.

Oesterle traded to another team that wants to tank for Bedard. More pucks. Maybe a couple skate sharpening stones thrown in too.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Red Wings needs to get bigger and tougher. It's ok to have small skilled forwards , but we also need more guys like Bertuzzi. I am ok with trading Bert , but you have to bring at least couple more guys like him and I am not talking about Smith.

The team has no small skilled forwards I can think of. Most of the forwards aren't skilled at all, the the few that are aren't terribly small.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The team has no small skilled forwards I can think of. Most of the forwards aren't skilled at all, the the few that are aren't terribly small.
If you move Bert you're top 6 wingers are likely going to look like
Raymond 5-11
Vrana 6--0 and soft
Fabbri 5-11
Zadina 6-0 and soft
Berggren 5-11

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Raymond 5-11
Vrana 6--0 and soft
Fabbri 5-11
Zadina 6-0 and soft
Berggren 5-11
6 foot isn't terribly small, and aside from the first two the rest aren't terribly skilled.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Raymond 5-11
Vrana 6--0 and soft
Fabbri 5-11
Zadina 6-0 and soft
Berggren 5-11

Counting Zadina in a top 6 role is a mistake. I’d bet money he’s gone by the end of 2023. Hopefully earlie.

Reactions: Snuggs

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Vrana, Raymond our most skilled forwards. You can add Zadina, if he finally start playing NHL level. Outside Edvinsson and Mazur we don't have anybody who plays physical

Reactions: wings95

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Counting Zadina in a top 6 role is a mistake. I’d bet money he’s gone by the end of 2023. Hopefully earlie.
I agree...unless we can somehow squeeze him into a 3rd line role and he is okay with that. Next year he will, if Berggren and Soderblom make their way on to the team, lose his PP time. And that might not sit well with him after everything he's had to go through with the "too early" development in the AHL and then having to deal with a buggered-up season with Covid, last year. But I think that another team will want to take a crack at making him a top 6 forward. But like Hronek...I think he is not long for this team.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
TSN had something recently about Toronto likely needing to unload one of their "big 4" for cap flexibility going forward. I doubt anyone touches Tavares at 32 years old getting 11mil for another 3 years. I also doubt they trade Matthews. So it'd boil down to Marner or Nylander. Trading Marner gives them much more cap flexibility, and we just happen to have 2 top 6 forwards that'd save them 5+ million in cap space in Vrana and Bertuzzi. It sounds crazy, but they'd still be getting a top line forward and saving a ton of cap. Who knows if we'd have to "add", but if anything we've seen the crazy prices GM's give up for cap flexibility so it could happen.

Vrana and Johansson for Marner
Bertuzzi+ for Barzal
Hronek for a left D with size
Add some size in free agency

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Vrana, Raymond our most skilled forwards. You can add Zadina, if he finally start playing NHL level. Outside Edvinsson and Mazur we don't have anybody who plays physical
That's not a team full of them though. The team is full of talentless plugs.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
TSN had something recently about Toronto likely needing to unload one of their "big 4" for cap flexibility going forward. I doubt anyone touches Tavares at 32 years old getting 11mil for another 3 years. I also doubt they trade Matthews. So it'd boil down to Marner or Nylander. Trading Marner gives them much more cap flexibility, and we just happen to have 2 top 6 forwards that'd save them 5+ million in cap space in Vrana and Bertuzzi. It sounds crazy, but they'd still be getting a top line forward and saving a ton of cap. Who knows if we'd have to "add", but if anything we've seen the crazy prices GM's give up for cap flexibility so it could happen.

Vrana and Johansson for Marner
Bertuzzi+ for Barzal
Hronek for a left D with size
Add some size in free agency

They‘ll move Nylander or Muzzin or both and go into next season with depleted depth. Marne, Matthews and Tavares are locks on Toronto.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
They‘ll move Nylander or Muzzin or both and go into next season with depleted depth. Marne, Matthews and Tavares are locks on Toronto.
I think you're right. I think the potential for Nylander's salary ask being through the roof in the same year that Matthews' contract comes up all but spells certain doom for Nylander. And Muzzin was a great idea for them, but he hasn't stayed healthy and every time he comes back from injury he looks worse than before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad