Trades you’d try to make in the off season for Detroit.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I may be in the minority, but I'm a bit hesitant with Zadina. Yes he has been terrible for the position we drafted him in, but at the same time there are moments on the ice where the talent seems very evident. It almost seems like he's one of those guys that would break out given the right circumstances.

Not to jump on you, but have you seen his shooting percentage? Have you seen the terrible unforced giveaways? Or how stationary he is in the offensive zone? He’s looking like a less athletic Nail Yakupov. I’d guess he’s out of the league in a couple of years with how he’s trending.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Monahan is an option if you want to give Suter some competition at the 2C role without sacrificing any futures or taking on any long-term cap hit. Calgary would probably toss in a sweetener to take his last year at $5.25m.

It's not what I'd do, I'd be more aggressive in trying to fill the 2C role this summer. But I think it would be better than not adding anybody.

Reactions: Bench

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Monahan is an option if you want to give Suter some competition at the 2C role without sacrificing any futures or taking on any long-term cap hit. Calgary would probably toss in a sweetener to take his last year at $5.25m.

It's not what I'd do, I'd be more aggressive in trying to fill the 2C role this summer. But I think it would be better than not adding anybody.

Monahan is a 4th liner now, my dude. He’s not realgud anymore.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Yeah to clarify my preference is still to dip into the UFA market to add a top six center.

But in the event that doesn't happen, I think Monahan is an option if a) our pro scouts think they can get a bit more out of the player than he's showing right now, and b) Calgary throws in something decent to take his cap hit (I'm imagining in the ballpark of a 2nd round pick).

It's almost like the Marc Staal trade at the center position. Not my first choice, I am hoping for a more ambitious offseason to support Raymond and Seider with some legitimate NHL talent. But it's in the vein of moves Yzerman has made in the past.

Edit: Another one, and this will probably be even less popular, but if Edmonton flames out early in the playoffs again and needs some cap flexibility then Duncan Keith could be an option. And while I do not like and have never liked Keith even at 39 he would get into our left side of defense. That would basically be a Marc Staal type trade again.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Monahan is a 4th liner now, my dude. He’s not realgud anymore.
Why has his point production just died? He at least knows what to do in the defensive zone, unlike Suter. At least the Monahan I remember was good in his end.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Why has his point production just died? He at least knows what to do in the defensive zone, unlike Suter. At least the Monahan I remember was good in his end.

He’s not playing with Gaudreau. Flames Fans are saying he’s on the 4th with Lucic.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

LTIR with torn labrum

Also, while settle for a STaal-like trade when you can trade for his brother? (Jordan has a NMC though)

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
LTIR with torn labrum

Also, while settle for a STaal-like trade when you can trade for his brother? (Jordan has a NMC though)

Yeah the injuries are rough. He's expected to make a full recovery for next season. With Johnny Hockey and Tkachuk's contract situations I think they probably pay something like a 2nd round pick to shift the last year of his contract this offseason. Yzerman has shown a willingness to take on cap like that, I think it'd be a question of whether our pro scouts think he's absolutely toast or if there's a chance of a semi-bounce back.

I'd actually prefer not to settle for Staal-like trades to be fair - I'd part with assets like the WSH '22 2nd, the STL '23 2nd, Jon Berggren, Albert Johansson, even our '23 1st with top 5 protection to add a good enough LHD.

I imagine Yzerman will at least do something similar to the Leddy add, but I hope that Leddy's performance coupled with the emergence of our young talent shows that we need to aim a bit higher. Unless we want to continue getting caved in for large parts of the season.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ah fudge. They might just LTIR him for next season. They’re going to keep Johnny Gaudreau.

4 1/2 months and he's familiar with the surgery and could probably rehab by himself, lol. So he's projected to be back before the season starts.

I think they look to trade Lucic but he has an NMC. Either way I don't want Johnny hockey so it's irrelevant. I doubt he wins a Cup in his career, wherever he goes.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I would 100% trade Bert and Larkin. Vrana too since his value will plummet once those two are gone. Zadina and Ras can stay or go. I don't expect their value to radically change. Time for the rebuild to start. Hopefully Seider and Raymond with a few top three draft picks over the next 3-4 years will put the Wings on track to be finishing the rebuild by 2027-2028.

Only way I could justify extending Bert and Larkin was if you had a realistic argument that 2-3 more years of 8-10th overall picks is all the Wings need to finish the current rebuild.

The roster looks like its current ceiling is a couple of seasons where they might cobble together a couple of first round exits over the next five years and then Larkin is in his early 30's and you now have to start that same rebuild that should have started next season (2022-2023), but you waited 5-6 years to do it and there was no reward for delaying it.

Yzerman was dealt a horrendous hand when he inherited this roster. Years of kicking the can down the road and terrible drafting (whether it was bad luck or bad decisions doesn't really matter). You have a roster with a couple of good forwards and a defense that is going to be ranked towards the bottom third every season.

Idk if I'm in the minority, but I always thought that Yzerman knew he wasn't going to be able to successfully rebuild the roster with any of the players the Wings drafted prior to him taking over for Holland and the last three years were basically him just setting up the real rebuild once Larkin's current contract was nearing its end.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Only way I could justify extending Bert and Larkin was if you had a realistic argument that 2-3 more years of 8-10th overall picks is all the Wings need to finish the current rebuild.
I sure hope it is, considering there isn't another realistic option.

Raymond was taken 4th. Seider and Edvinsson 6th. And several later round prospects are tracking to be definite NHL contributors. I don't see a reason for the panic button, let alone a total reset.

Landing the "few top 3 picks" you mentioned earlier in your post simply isn't mathematically viable without completely burning it down to force your way into several consecutive years of finishing dead last. Which is about the most surefire way I can imagine to completely destroy whatever development we've seen from Seider and Raymond, let alone any kids that get added going forward.

Yzerman has this roster finally headed in the right direction: learning to win on the backs of players that can and should be part of the next 5-10 years. Is it approaching the finish line? No. But every year we hear how the next draft class is unstoppable...until it's not. And no amount of magic beans drafted 1 or 2 overall is worth hitting the scorched earth button right now.

Hang in there 1-2 more years, and I'll be shocked if the Wings aren't significantly better than they are now, and either challenging for a playoff spot or actually in the postseason.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I have followed Barzal since the game v NYI.

Here is the story.
In his last 10 games he has 8 points, 2 goals and 6 assists.
The interesting part.
Those 8 points came vs bad/non playoffs teams, while in 6 games vs good/playoffs teams he has ZERO points and is, believe it or not, MINUS TEN.

I am not against trading for him, I just think Yzerman should not overpay.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I am not against trading for him, I just think Yzerman should not overpay.
So you're telling the Islanders that...

img_2044.jpg

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I would 100% trade Bert and Larkin. Vrana too since his value will plummet once those two are gone. Zadina and Ras can stay or go. I don't expect their value to radically change. Time for the rebuild to start. Hopefully Seider and Raymond with a few top three draft picks over the next 3-4 years will put the Wings on track to be finishing the rebuild by 2027-2028.

The roster looks like its current ceiling is a couple of seasons where they might cobble together a couple of first round exits over the next five years and then Larkin is in his early 30's and you now have to start that same rebuild that should have started next season (2022-2023), but you waited 5-6 years to do it and there was no reward for delaying it.

Yzerman was dealt a horrendous hand when he inherited this roster. Years of kicking the can down the road and terrible drafting (whether it was bad luck or bad decisions doesn't really matter). You have a roster with a couple of good forwards and a defense that is going to be ranked towards the bottom third every season.

Idk if I'm in the minority, but I always thought that Yzerman knew he wasn't going to be able to successfully rebuild the roster with any of the players the Wings drafted prior to him taking over for Holland and the last three years were basically him just setting up the real rebuild once Larkin's current contract was nearing its end.

I don't think Larkin is going anywhere but I tend to agree on the rest. I feel like we would need to get very lucky drafting and trading with our current core in order for us to actually be a team worth the while. The window is getting shorter for some of our top players. I would hate to see us waste Seider and Raymond's and possibly Edvinssons career spinning the tires indefinitely on a mediocre roster.

But at the same time, Yzerman has drafted wonderfully outside the top 3. Maybe he pulls it off somehow.

I think right now we are in a really sticky situation where it's hard to walk away from what we have going because there is some hope but also realizing it could end up a really bad idea to not reboot a rebuild asap. This year is fine drafting hopefully not higher than 7 or 8. But next year, if we are rebuilding we need to be competing for those top picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad