Trades you’d try to make in the off season for Detroit.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
TSN had something recently about Toronto likely needing to unload one of their "big 4" for cap flexibility going forward. I doubt anyone touches Tavares at 32 years old getting 11mil for another 3 years. I also doubt they trade Matthews. So it'd boil down to Marner or Nylander. Trading Marner gives them much more cap flexibility, and we just happen to have 2 top 6 forwards that'd save them 5+ million in cap space in Vrana and Bertuzzi. It sounds crazy, but they'd still be getting a top line forward and saving a ton of cap. Who knows if we'd have to "add", but if anything we've seen the crazy prices GM's give up for cap flexibility so it could happen.

Vrana and Johansson for Marner
Bertuzzi+ for Barzal
Hronek for a left D with size
Add some size in free agency
Marner and matthews are never getting traded, dubas is committed to them. Now nylander I could see.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I would take that in a heartbeat.

Same. I’m not ready to close the book on Ras but I’m also not going to let a hot streak after a massive cold streak and an otherwise mediocre season make me believe he’s turned the corner. If he carries this play into next season then I’ll be happy. But for now it feels like too little too late.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Same. I’m not ready to close the book on Ras but I’m also not going to let a hot streak after a massive cold streak and an otherwise mediocre season make me believe he’s turned the corner. If he carries this play into next season then I’ll be happy. But for now it feels like too little too late.
“Little too late” he’s 22, tage Thompson just broke out at 24 and before that his season high was like 14 points in 39 games. Let’s pump the breaks on wanting to trade Rasmussen, I’m against trading him because he’s actually showing improvement. Zadina in all his time here I don’t think has improved as a player at all so to me he is expendable unlike ras. Plus ras has physical tools that make him potentially more valuable.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I definitely give Ras at least another season before determining his fate. His improvement this year warrants at least that. And I think moving him to the wing will yield a superior result for Detroit. Unclogs the middle for Veleno to develop more and helps to move some guys down/off the roster. Ras feels alot like a potential Wilson clone, to me. If he can continue to play physically and get stronger he can play top 6 as a net-front guy who forechecks well, can do decently with face-offs as needed and can create a lot of space for his linemates.

Edit: When I think of Ras in a Wilson role...I'm not thinking of the fighting aspect. Just physical player with good scoring ability...15-20+ goals.

Reactions: ealong59

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I just want my team of giants. Put Rasmussen, Soderblom, Seider, Edvinsson, and Cossa on this ice together and watch the other team tremble before hockey's Monstars.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I'd try to move for Sanheim with an extension in place.

I'd move something like:

'23 1st round pick (top 5 protected)
'22 2nd round pick (WSH)
Jonatan Berggren
Albert Johansson

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Nothing major.

Trading good assets for marginal players will hurt the team in the long run.

I'd be ok with trading Zadina without any other moves.

Depends on free agency who could become available IMO.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
He's 26, and he was good this year. His body of work doesn't say 4 top assets kinda player to me.

And to extend him would be a long term deal. I just think it would turn out bad.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Chychrun is worth a look depending on the price. We know that Yzerman showed interest earlier this season.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
He's 26, and he was good this year. His body of work doesn't say 4 top assets kinda player to me.

And to extend him would be a long term deal. I just think it would turn out bad.

That's fair, I recognize there are no easy choices here. I think he'd pair really effectively with Seider. He's never had anyone like that to work with in Philly. I think that Seider, Sanheim, Edvinsson, and Hronek would be a nice top 4 going forward. Each player brings something different to the table.

Is there a top 4 LHD you have your eye on?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Chycrun is worth a look depending on the price. We know that Yzerman showed interest earlier this season.

Chychrun is intriguing, but I think he's the sexiest name on the LHD market. I'm not sure we can bring him in without parting with some big-assets.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
That's fair, I recognize there are no easy choices here. I think he'd pair really effectively with Seider. He's never had anyone like that to work with in Philly. I think that Seider, Sanheim, Edvinsson, and Hronek would be a nice top 4 going forward. Each player brings something different to the table.

Is there a top 4 LHD you have your eye on?

Schmidt. Or someone in that vein.

Someone Detroit doesn't have to give up much to get.

Chychrun is worth a look depending on the price. We know that Yzerman showed interest earlier this season.

Cost is too high. Otherwise he would have been dealt.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Any trade discussions would involve young players coming to Detroit. Only Mo is untouchable.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Really. Only him?
For the right player, yes. The only other possible untouchables are Raymond and Larkin. For the right return, I'd consider moving them. This team isn't going anywhere, and it would need to be one helluva deal, but I'd consider it. Larkin moved over Raymond. He's a #2 center and going to be 26 next season... likely 29/30 when this team is competing for the Cup.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Very kind to send a 2nd. Ya know, condolences and all.

Do you really think Sanheim is better than Hronek? Or is it just switching sides?

I think Sanheim is steadier for sure. His most common partner was Ristolainen this year and it probably gave him PTSD. I'd love to have him play with Seider. I think they would work well together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad