Trades you’d try to make in the off season for Detroit.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I think Sanheim is steadier for sure. His most common partner was Ristolainen this year and it probably gave him PTSD. I'd love to have him play with Seider. I think they would work well together.
I agree that he'd work well with Seider. My problem is how much Detroit would have to commit to an ok top 4 defenseman. Contract, and cost to aquire.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I agree that he'd work well with Seider. My problem is how much Detroit would have to commit to an ok top 4 defenseman. Contract, and cost to aquire.

Dude...

Detroit will have a payroll of 47 million next year. And that's with Frans Nielsen and Justin Abdelkader's dead cap space. And Fabbri probably starts the season on IR because of a knee injury. They're going to have 35 million in space. They have to sign SOME players to play on this team. At least 15 million to be above the floor. Ideally 25 million so they're not so f***ing miserable to watch.

Detroit Red Wings Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Dude...

Detroit will have a payroll of 47 million next year. And that's with Frans Nielsen and Justin Abdelkader's dead cap space. And Fabbri probably starts the season on IR because of a knee injury. They're going to have 35 million in space. They have to sign SOME players to play on this team. At least 15 million to be above the floor. Ideally 25 million so they're not so f***ing miserable to watch.

Detroit Red Wings Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
And like I said in that post, cost to aquire him.

What is Detroit giving up to get this guy?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
They‘ll move Nylander or Muzzin or both and go into next season with depleted depth. Marne, Matthews and Tavares are locks on Toronto.

Not so sure they move Nylander as from what I read, Dubas promised Nylander he wouldn't trade him during the contract, which was part of why Nylander ended his brief holdout and signed his deal. He would be the easiest to deal and get something back, but not sure he will be.

W-what?
Have you confused sanheim for dahlin?

Yeah, he is a non physical, low pt producing player. I wouldn't give up that much for him. It is ok to be low pt producing and not physical, but you better be Slavin level good at defence, which I think Sanheim is not close to. Good player, not a great player.

TSN had something recently about Toronto likely needing to unload one of their "big 4" for cap flexibility going forward. I doubt anyone touches Tavares at 32 years old getting 11mil for another 3 years. I also doubt they trade Matthews. So it'd boil down to Marner or Nylander. Trading Marner gives them much more cap flexibility, and we just happen to have 2 top 6 forwards that'd save them 5+ million in cap space in Vrana and Bertuzzi. It sounds crazy, but they'd still be getting a top line forward and saving a ton of cap. Who knows if we'd have to "add", but if anything we've seen the crazy prices GM's give up for cap flexibility so it could happen.

Vrana and Johansson for Marner
Bertuzzi+ for Barzal
Hronek for a left D with size
Add some size in free agency

If you are TO why would you give up Marner for so little? That would be hugely bad for the Leafs. His contract is high, but he is producing lots, so he really can't be acquired for cap dump prices which this price to me would be. They would rightly so, ask for Larkin, Seider and probably more to trade Marner. Imagine if we trade Larkin, we would want a lot to do so, way more than any team is willing to do.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I would take that in a heartbeat.
Yeah.
I'd rather have a 2LD than Boyle.

I definitely give Ras at least another season before determining his fate. His improvement this year warrants at least that. And I think moving him to the wing will yield a superior result for Detroit. Unclogs the middle for Veleno to develop more and helps to move some guys down/off the roster. Ras feels alot like a potential Wilson clone, to me. If he can continue to play physically and get stronger he can play top 6 as a net-front guy who forechecks well, can do decently with face-offs as needed and can create a lot of space for his linemates.

Edit: When I think of Ras in a Wilson role...I'm not thinking of the fighting aspect. Just physical player with good scoring ability...15-20+ goals.
Let's wait until he has NO TRADE VALUE before trying to trade him and finding no return value.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Go pick up Nylander, think he'd thrive in a more prominent role, and he'd have some chemistry with Raymond, judging on their styles. He'll always be the "bad guy" in Toronto, even if he carried them in October, or is their best player come the playoffs.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'd say Nylander is odd man out in Toronto too.

Maple Leafs, imo, aren't going to send him to a division rival if they look to shake things up, moving Nylander they'll want pieces and will still be competitive.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd be willing to package any asset not named Seider / Raymond / Larkin if the right center is available. I'd also love to deal for a top 4 defenseman.

But naming specific targets is another matter. It's not as if other teams routinely advertise their best players being available.
I stand corrected. Speaking of centers, he's no spring chicken, but certainly a guy I'd ask about...

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Trade for the rights to Klingberg. Work out a new contract with him.

Then dangle Hronek and whatever else isn't bolted down as trade bait.
LA has too many RHD. I think having a super-solid partner for Edvinsson pays huge dividend. Trade for Matt Roy, then see what Hronek brings on the open market.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If you move Bert you're top 6 wingers are likely going to look like
Raymond 5-11
Vrana 6--0 and soft
Fabbri 5-11
Zadina 6-0 and soft
Berggren 5-11

And keeping Bertuzzi, you can add:

Bertuzzi 6-1 and slightly hard?

The height inclusion was completely irrelevant.

Also, instead of arbitrarily promoting Berggren to complete a narrative, you could have done the more likely thing, and that’s shift Rasmussen to the wing full time. Or use the chance to get Veleno more meaningful minutes. Or make another deal. Or utilize free agency. This team has plenty of options for how they fill out the 6th man in their top 6 forwards.

I feel the Bertuzzi as a base for Barzal is not really remotely close right now, so it’s all probably pointless to discuss a Bertuzzi trade. He’s got more value to the Wings than we’d be able to reclaim via trade.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Schmidt. Or someone in that vein.

Someone Detroit doesn't have to give up much to get.

That's fair, and probably more in line with the type of move Yzerman makes. I have mixed feelings on Schmidt, but I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot.

Dude Sanheim isn't THAT good.

I'd give them Hronek and Washington's second.

If Hronek and a 2nd got it done that would be ace, but I don't think Philly goes for that. To clarify, the package I put forward was about as high as I'd go to add a top 4 LHD with term. I'd love to pay less, and I wouldn't be surprised if Yzerman pulls something off for less, especially if he's dealing with Fletcher. But I think history shows these guys don't come cheap.

W-what?
Have you confused sanheim for dahlin?

I mean c'mon, that package doesn't buy you Rasmus Dahlin's skate.

The package I put forward was a mid 1st, a late 2nd, and two B prospects. It's about as high as I'd go to add a true top 4 LHD with term. If folks think it's too much for Sanheim I'm fine with that, it's just a brainstorm thread. Sanheim is a player I personally think highly of, but I'd be open to other candidates. There aren't a ton of 20-something year old top 4 LHDs on the trade market.

CountMC

Mar 30, 2022
If Philly is asking something reasonable for Sanheim then I think I would be all over it. Big, mobile LHD with a solid 2-way game. One reason that the production isn't that high is because he has only averaged :41 of PP time/game over the entirety of his career. PP time means a lot for D production. Philly also hasn't had very good teams while he's been there.

If they are getting Ellis back next year and plan to give York a bigger role, then I wouldn't be surprised if Sanheim is someone they would be willing to move on from, rendering his cost a little cheaper then some might think.

It's possible that they may even want to get rid of JVR, which would be a bad contract I would be willing to take on with only 1 year left. Their owner (or someone else high up in the front office) made comments not too long ago about giving the GM something of a blank cheque to try and retool quickly. If that is truly the case then they are probably looking to get rid of that contract to create room for aggressive acquisitions.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Let's wait until he has NO TRADE VALUE before trying to trade him and finding no return value.
You also think everyone sucks and routinely take contrarian opinions, so generally the opposite of what you say is the best opinion.

That's fair, and probably more in line with the type of move Yzerman makes. I have mixed feelings on Schmidt, but I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot.

If Hronek and a 2nd got it done that would be ace, but I don't think Philly goes for that. To clarify, the package I put forward was about as high as I'd go to add a top 4 LHD with term. I'd love to pay less, and I wouldn't be surprised if Yzerman pulls something off for less, especially if he's dealing with Fletcher. But I think history shows these guys don't come cheap.

I mean c'mon, that package doesn't buy you Rasmus Dahlin's skate.

The package I put forward was a mid 1st, a late 2nd, and two B prospects. It's about as high as I'd go to add a true top 4 LHD with term. If folks think it's too much for Sanheim I'm fine with that, it's just a brainstorm thread. Sanheim is a player I personally think highly of, but I'd be open to other candidates. There aren't a ton of 20-something year old top 4 LHDs on the trade market.
Imma be honest man, your trade offer was horrendous. Way way too much to give up. I’m happy you’re not the GM lol.

We need an official tally of how many times somebody has said something like "Rasmussen is about to break out!" or "Zadina is turning the corner!" That would inject some much-needed perspective.
Except Rasmussen is having a streak right now that neither player has previously had. If you actually watch games you’d know that Rasmussen right now is playing the best hockey of both his and zadinas career and seems to be figuring it out. He’s even playing way more physical which is what this team needs. Thank god yzerman isn’t like people on this board who want to ship out any young player who takes awhile to develop.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

They don't have much trade value as it is, neither would see ice on a playoff team, would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick and that's being optimistic. Might as well keep them around and see if Vrana can bring Zadina's game to the next level and if Raz can learn to leverage and balance on his skates. He's thrown a couple of legit hits the last couple of games without falling over, maybe he figured something out.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
You also think everyone sucks and routinely take contrarian opinions, so generally the opposite of what you say is the best opinion.

To be fair, most of the current roster DOES suck to some degree.

Suter, Fabbri, Hronek, Zadina, and Oesterle are liabilities. Vrana also isn’t great in this area but makes up for it with his scoring. Kind of.

Bertuzzi Staal and DeKeyser try but still aren’t great defensively for various reasons.

Ned and Greiss are hot and cold.

Rowney Lindstrom and Smith are AHL level

Erne is lazy

Sundqvist is diminished from injuries.

Rasmussen and Veleno are just learning the game at the NHL level.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I may be in the minority, but I'm a bit hesitant with Zadina. Yes he has been terrible for the position we drafted him in, but at the same time there are moments on the ice where the talent seems very evident. It almost seems like he's one of those guys that would break out given the right circumstances.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I may be in the minority, but I'm a bit hesitant with Zadina. Yes he has been terrible for the position we drafted him in, but at the same time there are moments on the ice where the talent seems very evident. It almost seems like he's one of those guys that would break out given the right circumstances.

Serious question.... what talent?

He's not big, strong or fast. His stick handling is not top 6 material and his puck decisions are slow except when Vrana is on the ice, because he defaults to passing to Vrana (which isn't a bad thing). His shot is off and he whiffs a lot if the puck is coming too fast. Worst of all, his hockey IQ is really low, and he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes at all.

Aside from getting bigger and faster, he needs a completely different thought process. When something isn't working, he needs to try something different. What he's doing right now is trying harder but doing the same crap that never works. It doesn't matter how hard he turns his head on a head fake (lol), NHL players aren't gonna bite on it.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
My thoughts on Zadina over time.
18-19 - Short call up. Started to have doubts. Skating not impressive. Skating with the puck was average at best.
19-20 - Opened my eyes a bit. Showed a good shot. 8 goals in 28 games. Showed some elusiveness even though the skating wasn't great. I was hopeful and fairly convinced he'd be a top 6 forward even though he clearly wasn't going to be what many believed.
20-21 - Stock dropped. Got all kinds of looks on the first and second PP. Played 2-3 weeks with Larkin on Line 1. His shot suddenly looked week. His positioning was often poor. He did show some backchecking/puckthieving chops. But the stock dropped.
21-20 - 14:01 a night - lowest of his career. Stock keeps dropping. Positioning/defense continues to be an issue. The shot is rarely there. Seems to have some chemistry with Vrana at times. But this is the NHL, you need to have chemistry with more than one guy. 9-12-21 -28 isn't going to cut it.

If you can salvage something him in a trade, do it. We've got wingers like Berggren and Soderblomg coming into the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: