Rumor: Trade Thread XVII: Callahan's Reckoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

So if we can't get that 1st + top prospect (which I doubt we can) you would rather let him walk for nothing instead of gaining some sort of assets back for him? Makes sense.

Yes. That's how you play hardball with other teams. And if no one caves, then you have a perfectly viable team that can go all the way if the bounces break correctly this year.

And before someone says "how many times do we have to rely on the bounces going in rather than being a good team"... the bounces always have to fall the right way for the cup champ. It's part of the deal.

So no. Chris Stewart, Jamie McGinn... those type of packages in return for not only our captain but our chances of longevity in the playoffs this year... never in a million years would i even begin to consider them if I was a GM.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I'd like to see us look for quality ahead of quantity with a Callahan trade. One borderline A-prospect, one high pick in the first round or one good NHL forward, ideally locked up for longer than Stewart is. We're amazingly healthy right now as a team and the Wolf Pack are horrible so I see some of the incentive for wanting "bodies" in, but this might be the first time I've liked our depth at the NHL level in a decade. Get one guy in who has a real shot at being something here.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Cutting off your nose to spite your face is not playing hardball with other teams.

I mean, okay, in the ridiculous scenario where the best offer for either is a 5th rounder, which is what we spent to acquire John freakin' Scott, then yes, fine, you keep Girardi and Callahan. (And we all wonder what Slats turned down.)

But if you can get something at least akin to what broken-ass UFA Ryane Clowe fetched - and, to be clear, I think you should be able to get more, conceivably much more for both - you make the deal(s). You don't keep them for a hope and a dream of a Stanley Cup over getting multiple useful assets in return, even if those assets aren't surefire prospects and top ten picks.

BarbaraAlphanse

Cutting off your nose to spite your face is not playing hardball with other teams.

Okay, in the ridiculous scenario where the best offer for either is a 5th rounder, which is what we spent to acquire John Freakin' Scott, then yes, fine, you keep them. (And we all wonder what Slats turned down.)

But if you can get something at least akin to what broken-ass UFA Ryane Clowe fetched - and, to be clear, I think you should be able to get more, conceivably much more for both - you make the deal(s). You don't keep them for a hope and a dream of a Stanley Cup over getting multiple useful assets in return, even if those prospects aren't surefire prospects and top ten picks.

I whole heartedly disagree. Clowe and Callahan aren't in the same stratosphere. You've set the bar incredibly low. It's a shame because fans do this to our own players and raise the bar for other teams' players.

edit: And we're not cutting off our nose if we're committing to succeeding at least this season? If we won this season, I'm sure no one would blame the organization for keeping Cally and not resigning him (if it came out our only viable trade packages have been the ones mentioned on this board). It's not an ideal situation, but we still have this season to worry about - and trading for the abysmal returns i've seen on this board completely disregards the team's success this year and doesn't even address the needs we have for the future.

Stewart, McGinn, and Barrie fill 0 needs moving forward.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I whole heartedly disagree. Clowe and Callahan aren't in the same stratosphere. You've set the bar incredibly low. It's a shame because fans do this to our own players and raise the bar for other teams' players.

Go back and read what I wrote again.

EDIT: to clarify, my point was:

1) You should be able to do better than the Ryane Clowe deal for both Callahan and Girardi.
2) However, if by some miracle that's the best offer out there, you still take it rather than hanging onto them and letting them walk away for free. A 2nd, a 3rd and a conditional 2nd is better than the hope and the dream of the Cinderella run and then losing the player for nothing.
3) But again, I think you should be able to do better.
4) And the only way it is worthwhile to keep the player(s) is if you do significantly worse.
5) And again, just for emphasis, you should be able to do better.

BarbaraAlphanse

Go back and read what I wrote again.

I apologize, I skimmed the Clowe part. To that regard, I still disagree. If they deserve to fetch more than him than theu better get more... None of this "if they can even fetch something comparable...well, i suppose it should be done".

If they're better players, then they better damn get better returns.

edit: It appears we are arguing the same things minus my reluctance to give a trade similar to Clowe's return the benefit of the doubt. My apologies for the confusion, Nets fan.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
With our luck Cally will get attacked by a stray dog in Sochi.

My buttcheeks clenched bad last night when he was shaking his wrist in pain.

I am going to be sweating every time he touches the ice in Sochi if he is not dealt by Friday.

BarbaraAlphanse

My buttcheeks clenched bad last night when he was shaking his wrist in pain.

I am going to be sweating every time he touches the ice in Sochi if he is not dealt by Friday.

Not to be graphic but if you buy some coal, and place it wisely... you may be able to produce some diamonds... given your reactions and muscle clenching.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I apologize, I skimmed the Clowe part. To that regard, I still disagree. If they deserve to fetch more than him than theu better get more... None of this "if they can even fetch something comparable...well, i suppose it should be done".

If they're better players, then they better damn get better returns.

We agree that they should get better returns than the Clowe package for both players.

But you don't prove anything by not taking the best offer just because it's not Coyle, Dumba and a 1st. The market is what the market is.

BarbaraAlphanse

Wait, they want to trade Girardi? WTF? THAT would be a mistake. You don't trade a top pairing D-man in our situation.

Girardi's grandmother and Callahan's wife and child are also on the table if they yield a greater return.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Stewart, McGinn, and Barrie fill 0 needs moving forward.

I am not sure I agree with this. Would you care to elaborate please?

I think these are just the most common names connected which is why they keep popping up. I think I can sell myself on Chris Stewart just because I think the Rangers may actually be buying low on him, I have seen him live, (and been impressed) a couple times when he was in Colorado so I might be a little biased, but I think Stewart would be better if he got out of STL. Also I think his "skill set" could be useful against guys like Lucic that have tormented the Rangers.

But also what I am trying to say is if you feel those players don't fill needs on the Rangers, who would you think is realistically available that would fill said needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad