Rumor: Trade Thread XVII: Callahan's Reckoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If Stewart had a compete level that matched his talent level, he'd be one of the elite powerforwards in the NHL.

Again, I feel he and another piece, whether that be a B-level prospect or pick, would be a good return for a pending UFA in Callahan. I know it's nice for folks to fantasize about A-level prospects coming back, but that's just not going to happen. Especially when he's basically pricing himself out of everywhere except Buffalo.

Stewart and Edmonton's 2nd that becomes the Blues' 1st in the highly unlikely situation that they can sign him, or Jordan Schmaltz. If the Blues are looking for a replacement for Sobotka, then offer them Boyle or Moore plus Callahan for Stewart and Vannelli.

Totally agreed.

People need to remember the trade partner wouldn't just be getting Ryan Callahan.

They'll be getting Ryan Callahan for a couple of months...Ryan Callahan who wants a 7 year contract to stay. The trade return will show this.

SupersonicMonkey*

Who mentioned Schmaltz from St. Louis and i said he only has 2 goals at UND?

You know, i stupidly confused him for someone else. I was thinking of Schawrtz, who is actually doing well in the NHL but he's a small forward.

Schmaltz (the defenseman) would actually be a good piece.

I apologize for that, who ever it was. My mistake.

Stewart + Schmaltz + 1st (or Rattie) would be outstanding now that I think of it. We would have to hope Stewart fits here and that he doesn't price himself out as a UFA.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
All noted right handed powerplay QB's like Boyle.

Rangers have a top ten PP without Boyle, and also Boyle has not been good this year by all accounts. Not to mention I don't think its wise to add another UFA. I don't think adding Boyle would be good asset management. You could sell me on Stralman for Boyle I guess but only if the Rangers had no intention of resigning Stralman. I think the defense is really clicking right now and I wouldn't want to risk messing it up on the chance Dan Boyle has a resurgence, and probably walks at the end of the season anyway.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Rangers have a top ten PP without Boyle, and also Boyle has not been good this year by all accounts. Not to mention I don't think its wise to add another UFA. I don't think adding Boyle would be good asset management. You could sell me on Stralman for Boyle I guess but only if the Rangers had no intention of resigning Stralman. I think the defense is really clicking right now and I wouldn't want to risk messing it up on the chance Dan Boyle has a resurgence, and probably walks at the end of the season anyway.

They're 11th or 12th after last night.

Still, Boyle isn't needed. I'm perfectly content with the D group we have. Would I like more offense from it? I guess. Right now, I'm happy with their mobility on the defensive side of the puck.

If we trade Girardi or Stralman, then Boyle in a secondary deal could make sense, but I'd rather not move those guys.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If Stewart had a compete level that matched his talent level, he'd be one of the elite powerforwards in the NHL.

Again, I feel he and another piece, whether that be a B-level prospect or pick, would be a good return for a pending UFA in Callahan. I know it's nice for folks to fantasize about A-level prospects coming back, but that's just not going to happen. Especially when he's basically pricing himself out of everywhere except Buffalo.

Stewart and Edmonton's 2nd that becomes the Blues' 1st in the highly unlikely situation that they can sign him, or Jordan Schmaltz. If the Blues are looking for a replacement for Sobotka, then offer them Boyle or Moore plus Callahan for Stewart and Vannelli.

Yeah, but stats are darn dangerous and especially with a player with the history Stewart has.

Stewart litterary took over Wolski's role in Colorado after Wolski went to PHX. He got to play on a scoring role, on an offensive team, top 5 on 5 and PP ice time and everything, that was young and naive and rebuilding. Just like WW he put up pts in that role.

Stewary is -- definitely -- not without talent. He can make a lot of good plays. And what do I know, maybe he would be a real success with Brass and Zucc (although I think Pouliot is playing excellent on that line, and is hard to replace), or with someone like Richards.

But, on a shift by shift basis, in the game in general, he is undoubtedly below avg. He is not nearly as good on the forecheck as a Pouliot. He is stiff when moving the puck. He is not good on the backcheck. Good shot. Good infront. Real strong. He can make offensive moves with the puck and is comfortable doing so at the NHL level.

That combination is not bad, but the biggest problem is that he is a bit Buff like. Obviously not always that focused. Obviously not in his best shape. You can definitely question the compete level. And so far.

He is also a UFA in one year. If he comes here and plays well, like get 55 pts. We are facing a 77-80m cap in 15/16. What could he get on the open market, you know, pick a number that will upset everyone -- and then add a million or even two. Its always like that, 1-goal Clowe with a bunch of concussions got 5.5m. "3rd line" Cally is getting close to 7x7. With -- 17m -- more in cap space, per team, what is Stewart getting in 15/16? 8m per (if he plays well for us)?

Since Slats only operates on a 2 year - 5 year scale with contracts (he was litterary fighting Lundqvist on the 7th year), all guys we get like this are rentals.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
You don't hear much about Vigneault's terrible system anymore. How many people here wanted to fire AV to bring in Peter Laviolette and now the Rangers are headed to the finals?

I personally never wanted AV canned, when that talk was out there, it was way too early to make a judgment, and honestly it is still to early to judge if AV's man D will work over a 7game series.

But right now the rangers are playing much better D then when that talk was ongoing.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Who mentioned Schmaltz from St. Louis and i said he only has 2 goals at UND?

You know, i stupidly confused him for someone else. I was thinking of Schawrtz, who is actually doing well in the NHL but he's a small forward.

Schmaltz (the defenseman) would actually be a good piece.

I apologize for that, who ever it was. My mistake.

Stewart + Schmaltz + 1st (or Rattie) would be outstanding now that I think of it. We would have to hope Stewart fits here and that he doesn't price himself out as a UFA.

That's an overpayment for Callahan. Take out the 1st and don't even consider Rattie as an option. Stewart is having a rough season in St. Louis, but a rough season still has him with 15 goals so far. If he regains his form, this could be an absolute steal for the Rangers.

If he comes in and fits over the next year, you extend him. If not, then you trade him for another asset over the summer or 20 games into next season and hopefully let a kid take over his job.

One of the most overlooked benefits of adding Stewart is that even if he falls flat here, he adds a buffer for our prospects to keep developing.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
He isn't a 3rd line grinder. But he is a borderline top-6 RW right now on this team. Zuccarello has been scoring at every level he has been at including being on pace for 40 points over his short stints in the NHL in the past. He is the Rangers best puck possession player. He fits the system and he makes the players around him better.

No one has made a good enough argument to change my mind that moving Callahan shouldn't happen.

If thats what you believe, of course no argument is gonna change your mind. the argument for keeping him is well known, the argument for moving him, equally. Its personal preference. I have no issue paying him 6million over 5 or 6 years, not bc he is a quote on quote 6million a year player, but more based on the market now and going forward. And his obvious value to the team.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The kid is slightly over rated. Just like Steen, he had a ridiculously high and unsustainable shooting percentage for a while (I think he was well over 20% at one point). He is on his way back down to earth at 16%. Combine that with the knee injury and I do have serious concerns about Hertl.

Take away his 6 goals in 2 games to start the season and that leaves you with 9 goals in 33 games. Still impressive but not the superstar 50 goal scorer some make him out to be.

No sane person thinks he's a 50 goal superstar. Hell, we'd all have been thrilled if he hit 25. But he just turned twenty and was doing the things he was doing. We value him more than you value Kreider, whom you obviously value very highly.

I'm sure some dumbass GM will offer you guys something good for Callahan, but it won't be DW.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yeah, but stats are darn dangerous and especially with a player with the history Stewart has.

Stewart litterary took over Wolski's role in Colorado after Wolski went to PHX. He got to play on a scoring role, on an offensive team, top 5 on 5 and PP ice time and everything, that was young and naive and rebuilding. Just like WW he put up pts in that role.

Stewary is -- definitely -- not without talent. He can make a lot of good plays. And what do I know, maybe he would be a real success with Brass and Zucc (although I think Pouliot is playing excellent on that line, and is hard to replace), or with someone like Richards.

But, on a shift by shift basis, in the game in general, he is undoubtedly below avg. He is not nearly as good on the forecheck as a Pouliot. He is stiff when moving the puck. He is not good on the backcheck. Good shot. Good infront. Real strong. He can make offensive moves with the puck and is comfortable doing so at the NHL level.

That combination is not bad, but the biggest problem is that he is a bit Buff like. Obviously not always that focused. Obviously not in his best shape. You can definitely question the compete level. And so far.

He is also a UFA in one year. If he comes here and plays well, like get 55 pts. We are facing a 77-80m cap in 15/16. What could he get on the open market, you know, pick a number that will upset everyone -- and then add a million or even two. Its always like that, 1-goal Clowe with a bunch of concussions got 5.5m. "3rd line" Cally is getting close to 7x7. With -- 17m -- more in cap space, per team, what is Stewart getting in 15/16? 8m per (if he plays well for us)?

Since Slats only operates on a 2 year - 5 year scale with contracts (he was litterary fighting Lundqvist on the 7th year), all guys we get like this are rentals.

Like I've said, if Stewart didn't have warts he wouldn't be available. He's simply not a fit with that team, and despite that, he lead the Blues in scoring last year. This year, he's lost a lot of time to new comers like Schwartz and Tarasenko. A big part of that is obviously that those two are tremendously gifted players, but also that the Blues likely need to rid themselves of Stewart this summer for cap purposes. It makes sense to give the kids time that they've earned, and sit the guy who isn't part of the long term plan.

I understand that there is risk, but there's also a lot of upside that is being overlooked for one reason or another. If Stewart comes in and fits, we've potentially got a 25 goal scoring power-forward on our hands. What's wrong with giving him an extension? Just because Callahan's situation has gone south, it doesn't mean Stewart's will. If Stewart can prove to be a solid piece of this team, then give him a longer term deal. The risk is less because he's not a player with durability concerns like Callahan. If Callahan was a generally healthy player, I'd be willing to bet that this debacle never happens and he would have signed a 7 year deal in August. I think you're letting your emotions get in the way here. There's no chance he demands $8M per year after scoring 55 points. None.

Stewart's a much better player than Pouliot. BP is playing okay right now, but less we forget that he was watching games from the press box not too long ago. Replace him with Stewart on the Zucc/Brass PP unit and I bet we'll see more chances get buried.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
From the SNYrangersblog. Don't like the bloggers methods but he's good at finding, and copying and pasting info.

Elliotte Friedman spoke with a former Edmonton Oiler who said that during negotiations Glen Sather grinds and tests players because of his competitiveness and desire to win every trade and every negotiation. (CBC)

The former Oiler said that he went through something similar during his playing days and isn’t convinced that the Rangers and Ryan Callahan won’t ultimately get something done. (CBC
)

Friedman points out that things with Henrik Lundqvist’s contract extension weren’t looking good until the two sides had a face to face meeting and compromised on the eventual deal. (CBC)

He adds that generally teams will hold a player like Callahan, who “plays hard enough to get hurt,†out of the lineup if there is going to be a possible move so a trade may not be close. (CBC)

In the book “Behind The Moves†agent Don Baizley had this to say about his dealing with Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather.

“there’s no question that Glen Sather grinds and grinds and grinds on every negotiation, and you also have to give him something at the end, because he has to win the last point.â€

Washington Capitals GM George McPhee had this to say about his dealings with Rangers President and GM Glen Sather:

“Glen is easy to have a conversation with but hard to make a trade with because he really grinds it out. I’ve done just one trade with him, for [Jaromir] Jagr, and it took forever.â€

“I don’t think anybody tried to fleece me off the top, but I remembered Glen Sather saying to me, ‘Now, listen. I’m going to try to pick your pocket and you are going to try and pick mine.’ He was real frank about it.â€

Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman had this to say about his dealings with Rangers President and GM Glen Sather:

“it’s not that you can’t trust him; I just get the feeling like he’s not an open book, that way. I’ve had very nice discussions where you think you almost agreed on something….and then he’d be like , ‘Oh, no, no, no, no. That’s not what I meant’…You have to approach the veteran GMs] differently, because I don’t know if you can take everything at face value.â€

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Elliotte Friedman spoke with a former Edmonton Oiler who said that during negotiations Glen Sather grinds and tests players because of his competitiveness and desire to win every trade and every negotiation. (CBC)
The former Oiler said that he went through something similar during his playing days and isn’t convinced that the Rangers and Ryan Callahan won’t ultimately get something done. (CBC
)

I remember that Gretzky's autobiography absolutely painted the same picture of Sather.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I remember that Gretzky's autobiography absolutely painted the same picture of Sather.

And to this day you can see how hurt Gretzky is by what transpired in EDM. In the end, given the right to veto the trade and instead accepted it bc of how scorn he felt. Sather did that to the best player to ever live and the man most responsible for Sather's career reputation. Hard to maintain a good culture when the boss acts like this.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Its just not worth it for a Chris Stewart type. Hes UFA after next year and makes 4+ mill.

Could sign an FA for half that and replace the body.

Don't see it worth dealing the team captain, in the middle of a season where the team looks as good as its looked in a long time.

I mean, if we can get a Stewart, 1st, and a top prospect thats one thing but I highly doubt we get anything close to that.

I'm thinking its a Stewart type + a mid round pick. Not worth it. Keep him and let him walk. Take a shot this year.

That's a typical Rangers move, and it didn't work out in 2012-13, now did it *COUGH PYATT COUGH*

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
And to this day you can see how hurt Gretzky is by what transpired in EDM. In the end, given the right to veto the trade and instead accepted it bc of how scorn he felt. Sather did that to the best player to ever live and the man most responsible for Sather's career reputation. Hard to maintain a good culture when the boss acts like this.

Well, not really. I never got the feeling that Gretzky was upset with Sather over it, because Sather was just doing the job in his manner. Gretzky's real problem was Peter Pocklington and the way the owner was talking about him to the media. He knew that Sather never, ever, wanted to trade him.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I just don't understand how people think letting Callahan walk for nothing is a better alternative to getting a 20-goal guy who is under contract for another year, PLUS another asset (or assets) in exchange via trade. How are assets who MIGHT turn into a 20 goal scorer better than a guy who IS a 20 goal scorer? He's not old. He's not injury prone. He's not expensive. The only thing wrong is that he has a questionable battle level from shift to shift. Frankly, if that's the lone wart on a 20 goal power forward, then I'm just fine with it. Especially when you consider that any questions about his compete level are amplified 10 fold because he plays on a team full of guys who get by almost exclusively on compete level.

Yes, we have a handful of good looking RW prospects, but none of them have established themselves in the NHL yet. Until they're literally pushing people out of the lineup, there's no sense to leave a spot for them in the lineup. If Fast (who is an equally good LW) or Kristo are ready, then we will find a spot for them. This team finds a spot for youth when they are ready.

It's even better than you expect when you realize it essentially costs you nothing to get those assets...

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Well, not really. I never got the feeling that Gretzky was upset with Sather over it, because Sather was just doing the job in his manner. Gretzky's real problem was Peter Pocklington and the way the owner was talking about him to the media. He knew that Sather never, ever, wanted to trade him.

I don't know if he is upset with Sather, I can't say that, so maybe I shouldn't have. But I've always gotten the impression Gretzky is still very upset that it occurred, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad