Rumor: Trade Thread XVII: Callahan's Reckoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Re-sign Clowe or win two playoff rounds. That was the condition. Met neither so it became a 5th this year.

Even with the condition, I wasn't happy we dealt those picks. Could have been put to better use, IMO.

Torts trying to save his job. lol

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Sound like Sather the GM is a lot like the way Sather was as a player (played for the Rangers during the Francis era): tough, competitive, grinder, sandpaper, compete level.

Hey, our GM has intangibles!

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
No sane person thinks he's a 50 goal superstar. Hell, we'd all have been thrilled if he hit 25. But he just turned twenty and was doing the things he was doing. We value him more than you value Kreider, whom you obviously value very highly.

I'm sure some dumbass GM will offer you guys something good for Callahan, but it won't be DW.

Most of those who said that were not Sharks fans and one particular Rangers fan whom I shall not name but he is a good guy.

I could see him being a consistent 25-30G guy.

Punxrocknyc19*

Sound like Sather the GM is a lot like the way Sather was as a player (played for the Rangers during the Francis era): tough, competitive, grinder, sandpaper, compete level.

Hey, our GM has intangibles!

:amazed:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Totally agreed.

People need to remember the trade partner wouldn't just be getting Ryan Callahan.

They'll be getting Ryan Callahan for a couple of months...Ryan Callahan who wants a 7 year contract to stay. The trade return will show this.

I agree, and this is what makes me honestly wonder whether or not it's better to just keep him for the rest of the season. If the return is Stewart, who is a pending UFA next year and a guy with a low compete level, and some other garbage pick, is it really worth moving Callahan? If we had Stewart instead of Callahan right now, and the team was in the same spot, would you trade Stewart and a low pick for Callahan? I honestly might.

Yes, it's 100% worth moving him for the future of the franchise assuming that the team can get a real future piece in exchange for him. If they can't, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I think if a trade is made surely the return will disappoint most people. If they can only get one asset, hopefully it is an asset that helps long term, and not just a stop-gap filler, or swap for RW.

Otherwise I agree, I'd almost rather ride out Callahan than just get what basically amounts to another rental. I don't think it would be that poor of a return however. Rental Callahan is still pretty valuable.

BarbaraAlphanse

A note on NY fans and reporters who think their speculation means more than the common fan.

I remember the Mets were headed into their final year with R.A. Dickey, the reigning Cy Young award winner, who up until the age of 38 had posted above average numbers for 2 years, and had 1 allstar caliber year. The fans loved Dickey, but understood the team was in a rebuild. They wanted him to be a part of the rebuild, especially because the media (guys like John Heyman who many look to as a credible source) reported that they would be lucky to trade Dickey for their back up catcher J.P Arencibia - a middle of the run guy with average numbers at best. For weeks, maybe months, the media and Mets (& Yankee) fans alike all speculated how little our CY young award winning pitcher was valued. He is old, he's a one hit wonder, he has a lot of wear and tear on his body, he wants too much money at too many years, he may not even be worth their back up catcher... And, very similarly to this situation, I let it anger me very much. Dickey was a fan favorite who meant a lot to the clubhouse. It saddened me to see the media disrespect his value and angered me to see fans of the team follow suit. I was labeled crazy when I suggested that we could get not only their top prospect, but their 3rd top prospect at the time (Noah Syndergaard), for Dickey extended. The Blue Jays thought they were a step away from contention and decided to go all in.

I would say this is the exact same situation. "Trade Callahan for Stewart because that might be the best you can get". "No one will pony anything of substance up for a rental". "Intagibles mean nothing to this sport". And then we have media guys like Darren Dreger reporting how the Callahan for Stewart is a good trade... And the fans swallow it up and begin devaluing a player that has given this franchise as much as he's had for the last 5 years.

Do not mistake my message, I am not arguing that we should succumb to his demands.

My message is don't devalue the players that mean the most to our team. I saw it happen during/after Lundqvuist negotiations. I see it again with Callahan negotiations.

He'll fetch a lot, and i'm nearly certain that he won't be traded as a UFA rental but signed and extended with whichever team trades for him. Not to mention, I've never seen Glen Sather make a stupid trade in his life. Any trade he's done has benefited the team in some way.

Be grateful we have a powerful asset to deal. And enough of the typical NY doom and gloom attitude. The guy is worth a lot. Don't try and spin it otherwise.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Bob McKenzie on NHL live.

Rangers are adamant about moving both Girardi/Callahan if they can't come to a contract agreement with either/both by the deadline.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
Bob McKenzie on NHL live.

Rangers are adamant about moving both Girardi/Callahan if they can't come to a contract agreement with either/both by the deadline.

Awesome.

Every time I pickup my phone I hope I see that Cally has been traded.

Ready for this to be over.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'd be thrilled if Danny gets traded. We will get back much more than he's worth.

We need the defense. Im not giving up on this year just to build out for 3-5 years from now when Lundqvist is out of his prime. I think we sign Danny G even if it is at 5.75 x 6. He is a lot less replaceable than Callahan.

BarbaraAlphanse

Barrie for Girardi would be terrible. Trading a current 1st pairing Dman for a 3rd pairing dman.

Barrie + McGinn for Callahan + 3rd is fine with me.

Then trade Straldude for a 2nd + 3rd.

So 3rd pairing defender with 3rd line winger for our Captain in the middle of a playoff push and one of our firsts....makes sense.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So 3rd pairing defender with 3rd line winger for our Captain in the middle of a playoff push and one of our firsts....makes sense.

One of our firsts? Whaat? 3rd line winger? What do you think Callahan is right now for us (aside from the sentiment of last nights 2 goal game).

If we keep Girardi and get a defender in a package for Callahan, Stralman becomes expendable. That is all I am saying.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Barrie for Girardi would be terrible. Trading a current 1st pairing Dman for a 3rd pairing dman.

Barrie + McGinn for Callahan + 3rd is fine with me.

Then trade Straldude for a 2nd + 3rd.

Barrie wouldn't be the only piece that I'd want as a return for either player. IMO, both Callahan and Girardi should bring a #1 plus a quality young player.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Barrie wouldn't be the only piece that I'd want as a return for either player. IMO, both Callahan and Girardi should bring a #1 plus a quality young player.

Completely agree. Although I say if we absolutely HAVE TO trade both (which I don't want to do), I would rather get a NHL ready guy instead of a #1 in one of those trades (similar to how we did with Moore in the Gaborik trade).

BarbaraAlphanse

One of our firsts? Whaat? 3rd line winger? What do you think Callahan is right now for us (aside from the sentiment of last nights 2 goal game).

If we keep Girardi and get a defender in a package for Callahan, Stralman becomes expendable. That is all I am saying.

I apologize, I comprehended the 3rd, meant to write 3rd round pick, not first.

That being said. Awful value. Barrie may be a 7th defender when its all said and done. Undersized offensive defender who may never figure it out.

McGinn is a 3rd liner.

And we're going to disrupt our current locker room with someone that guys look up to for these jamokes? Oh and add in a 3rd?

If Callahan is traded he needs to net important pieces back. A 1st and a top prospect. That's not an option. And if its realistically not an option, and we have to settle for a return similar to the one you mentioned, i'd rather let him walk for nothing and go all in on this season.

You don't trade a vital piece to the puzzle for scraps. And thankfully, I don't think we'll ever see Sather do that... no matter how many other flaws he has.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I apologize, I comprehended the 3rd, meant to write 3rd round pick, not first.

That being said. Awful value. Barrie may be a 7th defender when its all said and done. Undersized offensive defender who may never figure it out.

McGinn is a 3rd liner.

And we're going to disrupt our current locker room with someone that guys look up to for these jamokes? Oh and add in a 3rd?

If Callahan is traded he needs to net important pieces back. A 1st and a top prospect. That's not an option. And if its realistically not an option, and we have to settle for a return similar to the one you mentioned, i'd rather let him walk for nothing and go all in on this season.

You don't trade a vital piece to the puzzle for scraps. And thankfully, I don't think we'll ever see Sather do that... no matter how many other flaws he has.

So if we can't get that 1st + top prospect (which I doubt we can) you would rather let him walk for nothing instead of gaining some sort of assets back for him? Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad