Rumor: Trade Thread XVII: Callahan's Reckoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I like Vrbata but he's another RW. Wouldn't hate it pending the price. But if Callahan goes and does not bring back a RW, I would rather give Fast a shot and allocate that $ elsewhere.

And just my 2 cents, but I would fully expect the "ask" at this point primarily consists of an NHL roster player. Right or wrong, I see the Rangers "going for it" or at the very least not trading key roster players for picks and far off prospects.

Del Zotto trade indicates this. Stewart rumors. Rumored interest in McGinn. Plus the fact that it is the New York Rangers...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Chris Stewart RW.
Jamie McGinn LW.
Tyson Barrie RD.

We have Fast and Kristo for RW in the minors. Zucc, Nash, and Carcillo/Dorsett already on the roster.

We have Boyle, Kreider, Brassard, Hagelin on the LW. Miller and Lindberg may also take a LW spot if they don't fit in C. Buchnevich likely after next year.

We have Girardi, Stralman, Klein, Allen, and McIlrath that can all play RD.

We have replacements for all positions already on hand. Tell me how that is a good use of assets?

Everyone loves to complain what a poor job of asset management this F.O does. How does trading for positions we already have covered benefit us for the future?

Need to trade for a 2c, or someone that can develop into that...

There is no guarantee that those prospects work out though. I would rather have Chris Stewart, give him a year to prove himself (seems like he would be motivated by being about to hit free agency/has resale value) and let the prospects incubate so you don't have to rush them. I think Fast can do anything McGinn can do honestly, but the Rangers do not have anyone remotely close to Chris Stewart, when Chris Stewart is on.

I agree it would be great to trade for a 2C but I don't see that player being available. Do you have a hypothetical 2C in mind?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Being there is so much coverage of this club I think we fans need to get a homework assignment out to the guys covering them with regularity.

Forget about "are they resigning #5 and #24"

How about...What is the Rangers ask if #5 and #24 get shopped? Are they looking to start with 1st rounder and prospects or do they want players in return?

Lets go beat guys...I know you turkeys read this site. Lets find out what the ASK is.

Just to add to this a bit, I think tomorrow could be Callahan's last game as a Ranger. I think the deadline for the Callahan extension is Friday around 2pm, (as they don't want to risk him injuring himself in Sochi and give him a home game sendoff), but I think the Girardi deadline is different than the Callahan deadline. I think they will hang on to Girargi as long as possible, (the real trade deadline)

BarbaraAlphanse

There is no guarantee that those prospects work out though. I would rather have Chris Stewart, give him a year to prove himself (seems like he would be motivated by being about to hit free agency/has resale value) and let the prospects incubate so you don't have to rush them. I think Fast can do anything McGinn can do honestly, but the Rangers do not have anyone remotely close to Chris Stewart, when Chris Stewart is on.

I agree it would be great to trade for a 2C but I don't see that player being available. Do you have a hypothetical 2C in mind?

Kessler. Production to Callahan is similar. Similar mindset. Familiarity with the system and coach.

Punxrocknyc19*

Just to add to this a bit, I think tomorrow could be Callahan's last game as a Ranger. I think the deadline for the Callahan extension is Friday around 2pm, (as they don't want to risk him injuring himself in Sochi and give him a home game sendoff), but I think the Girardi deadline is different than the Callahan deadline. I think they will hang on to Girargi as long as possible, (the real trade deadline)

id be shocked if he gets traded before friday..

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Rangers beat writers aren't going to find out the ask unless someone in the organization decides to leak it and we all know the org only leaks when they want to.

Some other team's beat writer or a national journalist would have a better shot.

Yeah and honestly Sather uses them as mouthpieces for negotiations, he either leaks or asks them to write about things that will be beneficial to him in trades or contracts.

You have to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Rangers beat writers aren't going to find out the ask unless someone in the organization decides to leak it and we all know the org only leaks when they want to.

Some other team's beat writer or a national journalist would have a better shot.

That's a great point, but every beat writer has his sources. Other GM's who do actually communicate. Former players, other beat writers etc. Ask the Calgary guys. Burke is pretty open. He would know.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Kessler. Production to Callahan is similar. Similar mindset. Familiarity with the system and coach.

I highly doubt you get Ryan Kesler for Callahan, even if you throw in Torts' favorite John Moore. Vancouver would need an unreal ransom. Any other ideas?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Sorry, but this is patently wrong.

11 points in 16 games, +8 since his return from injury.

Exactly, he's a passenger. Zuke and Nash have been carrying the team and they both play RW.

Callahan is done with the Rangers, time to move on and hope we can cash in on the best deal available. No player is bigger than the club.

Punxrocknyc19*

I highly doubt you get Ryan Kesler for Callahan, even if you throw in Torts' favorite John Moore. Vancouver would need an unreal ransom. Any other ideas?

how about Callahan and Boyle for Gaunce Hansen and 1st??

would this be fair??

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
id be shocked if he gets traded before friday..

Same, I think sather was bluffing with that deadline although if Callahan isn't signed by Friday it's likely not going to happen, too many teams are still in the mix for someone to be desperate enough to give Sather what he wants in return for Callahan.

Punxrocknyc19*

Why do we have to deal Boyle? He has been stellar for us the last month or so. He needs to be here.

why risk losing him for nothing. he will also be an UFA. recoup as many assets as possible.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
No room for Ott on this team imo. Who's spot would he realistically take? Brassard, Stepan, Moore, Richards down the middle (in no particular order).

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Anyone wonder if Cally has already determined he wants to go home to upstate - and has named his price such that the Rangers will actually have to pay a premium to keep him?

Long time no speak here...hope everyone is well.

There is absolutely no way IMO that Callahan goes to a dysfunctional non-playoff small market and no shot at a cup in the foreseeable future team while he is in his prime over a few bucks. Not ever ever happening. The ONLY reason it comes it up is because it is where he grew up.

But think about it...There has to be a sense of enjoyment when thinking about testing a free agent market. With the CBA, you get to do it once, maybe twice in your career. Guys like Vanek are clearly bypassing an extension to see what it's like and you can't blame them. It's what the NHL/NHLPA has done to the market with the CBA.

Which brings up the point of testing the UFA market for the first and maybe only time in your career vs signing an extension with the Rangers. There's legitimately one time in your entire career that a player has leverage with the new CBA, and Ryan is taking advantage. Can you blame him? Can you blame Glen for calling his bluff.

Ultimately I feel like an agreement is reached for an extension. Callahan likely does not want to leave over the terms he can achieve, and Glen doesn't want to trade his captain in the midst of a solid run. Both sides are simply playing the cards they have in reality they aren't far apart.

I don't think Callahan is the kind of guy to take a few extra dollars in the FA market to play elsewhere. If he does, it'll be good riddance and good for him at the same time for taking the one piece of leverage he will have in his career to his advantage.

Overall, it would be a sad state of affairs in the NHL if a large market team in playoff position on a great run can't hold on to it's captain because the CBA is so one-sided. It is not a winning situation for the league, team or player. It will likewise be sad that the player(s) have so little leverage throughout their career that he needs to take as much advantage as he can in this situation.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Being there is so much coverage of this club I think we fans need to get a homework assignment out to the guys covering them with regularity.

Forget about "are they resigning #5 and #24"

How about...What is the Rangers ask if #5 and #24 get shopped? Are they looking to start with 1st rounder and prospects or do they want players in return?

Lets go beat guys...I know you turkeys read this site. Lets find out what the ASK is.

our beat writers are working tirelessly to get info from their sources and by that, i mean, they are constantly hitting refresh on the twitter feeds of bob mckenzie and darren dreger. once one of them tweets out something new our beat writers will be sure to tweet out the same info

BarbaraAlphanse

Realistically, what will Ott be looking at this offseason?

He intrigues me. Resupplies what we lost with Cally. Then again has he ever been part of a winning team?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have this sneaking suspicion that we end up re-signing Callahan. All signs are pointing against it, but I just have a gut feeling.

Slick Rick 61

Jul 11, 2007
I have this sneaking suspicion that we end up re-signing Callahan. All signs are pointing against it, but I just have a gut feeling.

The lack of rumors sans the Stewart deal has me starting to feel that way as well. Sure, the Rangers are very tight-lipped, but we would have heard at least a few more rumors other than the vague "is Callahan on the trading block?"

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I dont. Gone by friday.

I agree. I hate to say it. I think he gets his home send off at MSG tomorrow and that's it. Sather doesn't want to risk him getting hurt at the Olympics.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The lack of rumors sans the Stewart deal has me starting to feel that way as well. Sure, the Rangers are very tight-lipped, but we would have heard at least a few more rumors other than the vague "is Callahan on the trading block?"

No we wouldnt have. Sather does not operate that way....look at history of his trades, other than the Carter for Jagr deal, you dont see many big deals coming (and some one would argue they didnt see the jagr deal coming):

McDonagh deal no one saw coming

Gaborik deal last year didnt see coming.

Even the Clowe deal was no sure thing and not a ton of open coverage around it...heck clowe turned down a deal to SJ before coming to us

Del Zotto for Klein.

Sather is tight lipped with this stuff. May be why he does so well with trades. Only the Nash deal was well documented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad