Rumor: Trade Thread XVII: Callahan's Reckoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You're right replacing callahan may take some time, but I know Miller is the candidate ready to step into that role.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Gotta stop worrying about how we stack up against the teams in the West. Hell, we barely need to worry about how we stack up against teams in the Atlantic right now. More important is how we stack up against the Jackets, Hurricanes, Flyers, or Devils. Those are the most likely teams for us to play in the 1st round.

Trading all of Pouliot, Moore, Boyle, and Carcillo would do awful things to this team. Yeah, I know we have some promising players in the pipeline that might be able to fill those roles. But then, what happens if we get injuries? The 3rd, 4th, 5th round picks we will get are simply not worth it. As I said in the last thread, maybe you trade one of Boyle or Moore, as those two guys fill the same basic role.

As for Stralman... it's a different story. Same story with Girardi. Same with Callahan. These are players that might be able to bring back significant value. But, truth told, I wouldn't have any problem keeping Stralman at the risk of losing him in the offseason. We finally have a balanced D group. Let's keep it that way. Girardi and Callahan have too large of a potential return to ignore.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Gotta stop worrying about how we stack up against the teams in the West. Hell, we barely need to worry about how we stack up against teams in the Atlantic right now. More important is how we stack up against the Jackets, Hurricanes, Flyers, or Devils. Those are the most likely teams for us to play in the 1st round.

Trading all of Pouliot, Moore, Boyle, and Carcillo would do awful things to this team. Yeah, I know we have some promising players in the pipeline that might be able to fill those roles. But then, what happens if we get injuries? The 3rd, 4th, 5th round picks we will get are simply not worth it. As I said in the last thread, maybe you trade one of Boyle or Moore, as those two guys fill the same basic role.

As for Stralman... it's a different story. Same story with Girardi. Same with Callahan. These are players that might be able to bring back significant value. But, truth told, I wouldn't have any problem keeping Stralman at the risk of losing him in the offseason. We finally have a balanced D group. Let's keep it that way. Girardi and Callahan have too large of a potential return to ignore.

Don't trade them all away. Who do they want to keep? Resign Moore? Boyle? Pouliot? Who?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Why would we trade any of our bottom players?.. I'd try to resign them to cheap deals.. the Pouilot-Brass-Zucc line is a great line. thats secondary scoring.. something we have always lacked

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Without Callahan? 10%
That's crazy.

Since the lockout, teams that have finished first in their conference have played teams that finished last in their conference 29 times. Their combined record was 18-8-3.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Wondering if the same posters who say that intangibles can be replaced are the same who have said that we underestimated the intangibles that Prust and Dubinsky brought to the team.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Don't trade them all away. Who do they want to keep? Resign Moore? Boyle? Pouliot? Who?

I'm not sure what the FO is thinking on this topic. Personally, I'd resign Moore and Pouliot. Probably Carcillo too. Boyle, I think, has the most perceived value around the league of all of those guys. But he's going to leave a leadership vacuum almost as big as trading Girardi would.

But, my point is that... resign or don't, trading any of these guys simply because they're UFAs isn't an option I like.

Pouliot is an interesting case. You consider not resigning him if you're looking to target one of the bigger UFA LWs (Vanek, Moulson, Cammalleri)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Wondering if the same posters who say that intangibles can be replaced are the same who have said that we underestimated the intangibles that Prust and Dubinsky brought to the team.
Why wouldn't it be?

BarbaraAlphanse

You're right replacing callahan may take some time, but I know Miller is the candidate ready to step into that role.

My belief is Callahan provides a certain level of excitement and a certain level of immeasurable value for this team.

To trade him, a team needs to be willing to provide a return that at least gives us the potential to replicate that value.

For a team to be willing to do that they need 1) an extension and 2) prospects/picks they are willing to move.

For Callahan, we may want an NHL player back realistically, but taking one reduces the value of the other parts involved in a trade. I would much rather get a great prospect and a mid-high 1st rather than a decent 2nd/3rd liner, a 2nd, and an above average prospect.

We need to be looking how to get the value we are losing back. He's not just a 3rd line tweener like some here suggest. He holds immense value to the success of this locker room. Get that value back.

My 2 cents.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Prust got too much money

Dubinsky was overpaid imo, but either way he was part of the package that brought Nash here.

You can't pay Callahan what he is demanding.

*Bob Richards*

I'd like to retain Boyle, Moore and Carcillo. They seem to gel pretty well together.

BarbaraAlphanse

Busted! You said you wouldn't post anymore on this thread:sarcasm:

New thread. Also, I have gone away from angry responses to people who I felt undervalued the captain's worth. Half of my time was spent trying to convince people that they were wrong.

It happens. I'm trying to stay as emotionally detached as possible.

BarbaraAlphanse

Personally, I'd be interested to see what a Carcillo-Moore-Dorsett line looks like.

Despite how much I like Moore, I think Lindberg can not only replicate what he brings to the team... but even improve it.

Lindberg has more offensive potential and every bit the defensive potential.

I think he's expendable... much more so than Boyle is.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Why would we trade any of our bottom players?.. I'd try to resign them to cheap deals.. the Pouilot-Brass-Zucc line is a great line. thats secondary scoring.. something we have always lacked

zuke will be resigned for a nice raise...and pouliot is earning him an extension as long as he doesn't ask for too much. not sure what the number is but my guess is he could get more as a ufa than we'd be able to pay for him on the 3rd line

brassard though, i think, will be more a decision about how you want the team to be constructed then about his cap hit...lots of people feel that we are too small down the middle with stepan, richards and brassard...if we keep richards or replace him with stastny, does that force us to move brassard for someone with size? if we buyout richards, are stepan and brass good enough to be the 1-2?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
In my opinion, there are 3 players that must be signed or traded. Can't walk. Callahan, Girardi, Stralman.

Boyle, Moore, Pouliot - I fully expect them tp play out the year and that's ok, even if they end up walking. They wouldn't return much anyway. Ride it out and decide who you want to sign in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad