Rumor: Trade Thread XVI: Callahan looking for $6.85M+ AAV?

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I still would like to see Girardi signed. I would not be in favor of losing him and Callahan on the same offseason. Plus presumably Richards. Lot of leadership, and AGAIN a lot of turnover.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Ryan Callahan:

"If Chris Drury is worth 14% of the cap on signing, for his intangibles, I have to be worth at least 9.5..."

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I've said it before but I found it some what concerning that Girardi's camp has said nothing over the last few days.

This whole situation has disaster potential.

I don't know about disaster, but it could be ugly. Worst case (barring Sather letting them walk for nothing, which let's hope to god doesn't happen just for our collective sanity), they lose both players, get picks back, Fasth comes up and takes Callahan's spot, and the search for an RD begins. That's bad for sure, obviously there aren't a ton of top pairing RDs out there, but it's not disastrous. Thankfully, Callahan isn't the best RW on this team, and Girardi isn't the best, or arguably even second best, d-man on the team. He's the best right side player, but still, not quite the same.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
I don't blame Callahan for asking for all that cash, he has seen so many idiotic contracts handed out by Sather, he might as well try and get one himself.

Thankfully Sather has not budged, and given it to him.

yeah we gave out stupid contracts because they didnt work out.. but all those players we signed proved to be a lot more then what cally had on his resume.. in terms of production..

gomez and drury had a number of 60-70, hell even 80+ pt seasons.. drury was a 30g scorer multiple times..

redden was a multi-year all-star... tell me what cally has done? hes not a 30 goal scorer (29 once), 54pts is his career best, and it was one year.. and hes hurt 1/3 of the season every year..

yes those were ****** contracts but they were solid players for a number of years in their careers..

imo though g will sign, i dont think we're to far off with him.. Cally is a different animal

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
You remember Dubinsky was the centerpiece in the Rick Nash trade, right? Nash is a pretty big part of this offense.

So you're saying Stewart is going to net us a superstar in another package? I'm down.

And it's not like we knew Dubi was going to be packaged for Nash of all players. Don't see how that trade makes getting Stewart, at the same cost, more stomachable in return for Callahan. Not to mention Stewart plays significantly less time that Callahan does at ES/PK (PP is only comparable) and is slightly less productive. I'd imagine we could do even minutely better than that for Callahan's "intangibles." The more I look at things like the Iginla trade, I don't see why we wouldn't be able to get a 1st and a semi-decent prospect, and I don't see why Stewart is the only name being thrown around in 9.9/10 posts.

Last edited:

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I am positive that there isn't a single player on the team who feels that Cally's stance takes away from his leadership abilities. These guys are all professionals and they all understand.

Certainly, Cally seems to have priced himself out of Ranger plans and he might need to be moved.

But this Cally bashing is way out of hand. Really? Knocking Cally? His value to the team over the last has been immense. He has been everything he would want a Ranger to be.....blood and guts personified.

If he goes, he goes and we move on. But we need to separate Callahan the player from Callahan the family man and breadwinner. This knocking him is absurd.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Trade him then sign him as a ufa when he realizes he's nuts

We saw the contracts the last time the cap jumped like this. He'll get what he wants. It's just better we stay out of it.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Cally's agent certainly knows Buffalo will meet his demands on July 1st, he is trying to get the best deal for his client. I have no objection with him doing what he thinks is best for himself and his family. Sather has to do what he thinks is best for the Rangers.
There are a lot of agendas here. Leaks from both sides to put pressure on the other. I will wait to see how this plays out.
From the looks of it though, I think this has crossed a line.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I am positive that there isn't a single player on the team who feels that Cally's stance takes away from his leadership abilities. These guys are all professionals and they all understand.

Certainly, Cally seems to have priced himself out of Ranger plans and he might need to be moved.

But this Cally bashing is way out of hand. Really? Knocking Cally? His value to the team over the last has been immense. He has been everything he would want a Ranger to be.....blood and guts personified.

If he goes, he goes and we move on. But we need to separate Callahan the player from Callahan the family man and breadwinner. This knocking him is absurd.

It really is. There's a certain amount of petulance that runs through any fanbase of a pro sports team. These guys make enormous amounts of money. It's a fact of life. To let the disconnect between the money they make and the money the rest of us make completely destroy any sense that the players are also people is outrageous.

He's been a pleasure to watch. There's nothing about his game I don't like. The day he gets traded, it will hurt. But we will move on, as always.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Cally's agent certainly knows Buffalo will meet his demands on July 1st, he is trying to get the best deal for his client. I have no objection with him doing what he thinks is best for himself and his family. Sather has to do what he thinks is best for the Rangers.
There are a lot of agendas here. Leaks from both sides to put pressure on the other. I will wait to see how this plays out.
From the looks of it though, I think this has crossed a line.

what has callahan done to put pressure on the rangers?

turned down an offer for 5yr 30m?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I know Stewart is inconsistent but he still has 30 plus goal potential. Add say jaskin and I'm listening

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Just a really ****** situation. I kind of understand Callahan's POV because NYS income taxes are amongst the highest in the country, not to mention sales tax and just overall cost of living.

That being said, he gets the privilege of captaining an original 6 team in NYC. If he really wanted to be here he would take a team friendly deal where he gets paid and the team has room to grow. But, unfortunately that whole concept was pretty much squashed this year when Paidqvist signed that mega deal..

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think, with the way teams are run in the cap era, when you have a situation like the one we had, Zuccarello having a breakout year as an RFA and Nash with a big payday at first line in the same position, you have to make tough decisions that you otherwise might not.

I don't like the salary cap in principle, but I like what it made NYR do; focus more on youth development and less on aging mercenaries. Here we have 3 top 6 RW's, one is a UFA who fit our old coach's system having a down year, and he wants huge dollars. One is high priced, we traded a lot to get him. One is a budding star who fits the new system perfectly and has QBed our new and improved power play.

It's a game of numbers with the cap, and Callahan is the odd man out.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Just a really ****** situation. I kind of understand Callahan's POV because NYS income taxes are amongst the highest in the country, not to mention sales tax and just overall cost of living.

That being said, he gets the privilege of captaining an original 6 team in NYC. If he really wanted to be here he would take a team friendly deal where he gets paid and the team has room to grow. But, unfortunately that whole concept was pretty much squashed this year when Paidqvist signed that mega deal..

guy is the best player at his position and the face of the franchise..

hes a multi year all-star and has had the best stats for a goalie consistently since he's been in the league.. venza winner, plus hes the only goalie to have 30 straight wins since coming in the league.. we need lundqvist more then we need cally.. tough call all in all though.. i understand you points

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So you're saying Stewart is going to net us a superstar in another package? I'm down.

And it's not like we knew Dubi was going to be packaged for Nash of all players. Don't see how that trade makes getting Stewart, at the same cost, more stomachable in return for Callahan. Not to mention Stewart plays significantly less time that Callahan does at ES/PK (PP is only comparable) and is much less productive. I'd imagine we could do even minutely better than that for Callahan's "intangibles." The more I look at things like the Iginla trade, I don't see why we wouldn't be able to get a 1st and a semi-decent prospect, and I don't see why Stewart is the only name being thrown around in 9.9/10 posts.

His name is being thrown out there because its the only name thats been mentioned by reliable sources. Stewart, though inconsistent, plays a physical game and has a better scoring touch than callahan. The Rangers have guys that can be utilized for the PK: Boyle, Moore, Hagelin, Zuccarello. And its not like the rangers want to trade callahan, they really have no choice. It's been mentioned Buffalo seems to be the team willing to meet Callahan's asking price.

And comparing Dubinsky's salary to Stewart's is irrelevant. Different time, different cap situations. Salaries are inflated now. I'd take Stewart or Dubi's salaries considering what Callahan is about to get.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think, with the way teams are run in the cap era, when you have a situation like the one we had, Zuccarello having a breakout year as an RFA and Nash with a big payday at first line in the same position, you have to make tough decisions that you otherwise might not.

I don't like the salary cap in principle, but I like what it made NYR do; focus more on youth development and less on aging mercenaries. Here we have 3 top 6 RW's, one is a UFA who fit our old coach's system having a down year, and he wants huge dollars. One is high priced, we traded a lot to get him. One is a budding star who fits the new system perfectly and has QBed our new and improved power play.

It's a remarkably similar situation to Michael Del Zotto, even if in macrocosm.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Spot on post.

I'd hate the cap if a competent GM was running this team.

Callahan has been forced down the depth chart by Zuccarello and Nash. It happens. His role is diminished, and him playing top PK and top PP minutes is what made him so invaluable.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

This is why no one takes you seriously.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
His name is being thrown out there because its the only name thats been mentioned by reliable sources. Stewart, though inconsistent, plays a physical game and has a better scoring touch than callahan. The Rangers have guys that can be utilized for the PK: Boyle, Moore, Hagelin, Zuccarello. And its not like the rangers want to trade callahan, they really have no choice. It's been mentioned Buffalo seems to be the team willing to meet Callahan's asking price.

And comparing Dubinsky's salary to Stewart's is irrelevant. Different time, different cap situations. Salaries are inflated now. I'd take Stewart or Dubi's salaries considering what Callahan is about to get.

Stewart plus a good pick (Edmonton's 2nd) or a good prospect would be good value for a rental.
As you said, he is the only name we know because of the reports. For all we know they could be looking at a couple of other offers along the same lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad