Rumor: Trade Thread XVI: Callahan looking for $6.85M+ AAV?

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

For everyone saying Cally will lose 12 mill.

Untrue.

Let's say he takes the 5 year 30 million dollar offer on the table. He'll be 34 by the time he starts his next contract.

To offer some perspective - Shane Doan signed a 4 year deal at an average value of 5.3 mill at the age of 36.

Jarome Iginla signed a 1 year 6 mill dollar deal at the age of 36.

If Callahan can maintain a similar level of play for these 5 years, which for him is much better and easier to do than 7 years, his next contract will probably be prorated to about 5-6 mill for 3-4 years.

He'll likely be gaining money. I think the 5 year deal is in his best interest.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
people don't seem to understand whats an overpayment today likely won't be in 2 years

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Again, it comes down to the fact that Callahan is no longer playing the role he was prior to this season. He's seeing reduced PP and PK time. Callahan under Tortorella could be considered a $6M per year player and the role he played justified a longer term contract because we had nobody ready to fill in for him. Now Kreider has taken his spot in front of the net on the PP, and Zuccarello has taken his top-six minutes on the RW.

I respect what he's done for this team, and how he's given his all, but you can't give a 7 year deal to a player who cannot stay healthy.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
people don't seem to understand whats an overpayment today likely won't be in 2 years

The overpayment is in years, not dollars.

When you really like a player, its really difficult to admit that his best days may be behind him....thats especially true in Callahan's case.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011

When you really like a player, its really difficult to admit that his best days may be behind him....thats especially true in Callahan's case.

that's speculation though, and an educated guess at best. I don't mean to argue that he'll be the unstoppable energizer he was 2 years ago, but he has a ton of effectiveness left to him, far more than he's showing at the moment

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
that's speculation though, and an educated guess at best. I don't mean to argue that he'll be the unstoppable energizer he was 2 years ago, but he has a ton of effectiveness left to him, far more than he's showing at the moment

Brooks said he's holding firm on 7 years.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York

hes not a 6m player now. in 2 years he will likely be less effective today which cancels out the value of a rising cap making the 6m less of a percentage of the total cap dollars.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Is Callahan going to be 29 or 39 because I can't tell from reading this thread.

Sheesh you guys talk like he should be considering retirement.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Again, it comes down to the fact that Callahan is no longer playing the role he was prior to this season. He's seeing reduced PP and PK time. Callahan under Tortorella could be considered a $6M per year player and the role he played justified a longer term contract because we had nobody ready to fill in for him. Now Kreider has taken his spot in front of the net on the PP, and Zuccarello has taken his top-six minutes on the RW.

I respect what he's done for this team, and how he's given his all, but you can't give a 7 year deal to a player who cannot stay healthy.

but zucc hasn't. He plays on the third line. Look at the opposing lines zucc's line plays against and look at the lines callahan's line plays against. Everyone keeps saying this. Zucc has been our most consistent scorer and while callahan was out, Zucc was playing second line mins. Its been switched back up. As I stated earlier, Zucc's success I think has to do with the match-ups of who he and his line mates are out against.

Take a look at boston.
krecji-lucic-whoever
smith-bergeon-marchant.

you think brassard-zuc-puo can consistently have success offensively or defensively negate either one of those lines?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The Rangers actually offered Callahan 30m over 5 years (6mil cap hit)!? Wow, that's drastic overpayment. Thank god Callahan is asking for me and the Rangers aren't budging.

That contract makes David Backes' look like a bargain.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Yup, enough for a 5 year/30M offer from the Rangers, which is more than fair.

Theres really just no way in the world the Rangers should give him 6 or 7 years.

I see him much more valuable to a team adding him as a final piece for a real Stanley Cup run....or even a team thats entrenched in a multi-year rebuild and needs a likable veteran. But the Rangers? Theyre the team thats usually lining up to give the type of longterm mistake contract Callahan is about to get. Im so relieved it looks like they're heading in a different direction.

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY

2008-09: 81 games played
2009-10: 77 games played
2010-11: 60 games played
2011-12: 76 games played
2012-13: 45(of 48) games played
2013-14: 39 (of 56) games played

4 out of 6 seasons, he missed no significant time. And I know the team is playing well now with the current lineup combinations, but I've been a fan of this team long enough to know that lines and units don't stay together forever. When things start to get stale, that will be the true test of how much this team needs or doesn't need Callahan.

Is it any more difficult than proclaiming that a player's best days are behind him based on 3 months with a number of mitigating circumstances at play?

Something tells me a lot of people on this board are going to be doing a lot of grumbling when Callahan, playing for another team, puts up another 3-4 50/60 point seasons in this league, while continuing to be one of the most effective away from the puck players in the league.

What's great about this forum isn't that people are having difficult admitting that Callahan's best days are behind him (a dubious theory at best), but how quickly he is being trashed and derided simply because he wants to get paid. He watched loser bums that he carried get paid for years; why shouldn't he want to get paid? He earned it. These same fans trashing him didn't have a problem when he was playing his ass off and being one of the biggest reasons this team had any success of late, while earning money that, in relative terms, was nothing special.

Theyre the team thats usually lining up to give the type of longterm mistake contract Callahan is about to get. Im so relieved it looks like they're heading in a different direction.

You have no idea what direction they are heading in, because you have no idea what that money will be spent on instead.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
The Rangers actually offered Callahan 30m over 5 years (6mil cap hit)!? Wow, that's drastic overpayment. Thank god Callahan is asking for me and the Rangers aren't budging.

That contract makes David Backes' look like a bargain.

haha the backes contract is a bargain, isn't it?

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
I love Cally, but I would have traded him already. If Cally was a Free Agent, and we offered him 5 or 6 years, practically everybody on this board would hate it and rightfully so. How many 29-30 year old Free Agent success stories have we had in the past decade? Not many. Why? Because giving major money and lots of years to players that age is stupid. Giving it to an undersized grinder, whole other level of stupid. I'll always have a soft spot for Cally, and I'll root for him elsewhere, but the smart hockey move is to trade him for the best package you can get. And soon.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
2008-09: 81 games played
2009-10: 77 games played
2010-11: 60 games played
2011-12: 76 games played
2012-13: 45(of 48) games played
2013-14: 39 (of 56) games played

4 out of 6 seasons, he missed no significant time. And I know the team is playing well now with the current lineup combinations, but I've been a fan of this team long enough to know that lines and units don't stay together forever. When things start to get stale, that will be the true test of how much this team needs or doesn't need Callahan.

Is it any more difficult than proclaiming that a player's best days are behind him based on 3 months with a number of mitigating circumstances at play?

Something tells me a lot of people on this board are going to be doing a lot of grumbling when Callahan, playing for another team, puts up another 3-4 50/60 point seasons in this league, while continuing to be one of the most effective away from the puck players in the league.

What's great about this forum isn't that people are having difficult admitting that Callahan's best days are behind him (a dubious theory at best), but how quickly he is being trashed and derided simply because he wants to get paid. He watched loser bums that he carried get paid for years; why shouldn't he want to get paid? He earned it. These same fans trashing him didn't have a problem when he was playing his ass off and being one of the biggest reasons this team had any success of late, while earning money that, in relative terms, was nothing special.

You have no idea what direction they are heading in, because you have no idea what that money will be spent on instead.

Sting, I respect your views, which is why Im surprised you're letting your emotions for Callahan get in the way of a sound decision. I think he does have 3-4 good seasons left in him, which is a big reason why I wouldnt give him 7 YEARS. Something tells me you'd be roasting the Rangers if they were after a player like Callahan on the UFA market.

As for the future, you're right, I dont know where this team is headed longterm. But recent history suggests they are playing a game that doesn't exactly mesh with Callahan's strengths and his role is being mitigated as a result. And ya know what? The team is not dying. They've been mediocre with Callahan, and they can be mediocre without him. 7 years is insane.

And by the way, I haven't trashed him once. I appreciate what hes done here. I also appreciate that parting ways is the business decision that likely works out best for both parties.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
These same fans trashing him didn't have a problem when he was playing his ass off and being one of the biggest reasons this team had any success of late, while earning money that, in relative terms, was nothing special.

That's true. It used to be sacrilege to suggest Callahan was overrated but now that he's on the verge of moving, he's trash, overrated, 3rd liner, etc.

I mean at least be consistent.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
To be clear, I'm not avocating giving him 6m for 7 years. If you do that, you're basically telling everyone "this team has 4 years to win, at the end of which, we're scrapping it and going full youth", which, to be honest, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I want him to take that 5 years 30 Mil. It's the right contract for him considering his market value, value to the team, past contibutions and age. It takes him right up to 33, 34 at which point he'll be a one/two year contract type guy.

If they end up giving him the extra year to make it 6 years, it's not ideal, but if it's the difference between keeping him and losing him, I'd do it. Work in a NTC to make up for lost salary. ****, I don't know, make a deal.

GarretJoseph*

Hank already bent us over the table this season, no more.

If Cally won't take the deal then trade him or let him walk in the off-season but lets stop this crap now before it screws the season up.

Same for Danny G if he acts the bollox.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
To be clear, I'm not avocating giving him 6m for 7 years. If you do that, you're basically telling everyone "this team has 4 years to win, at the end of which, we're scrapping it and going full youth", which, to be honest, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I want him to take that 5 years 30 Mil. It's the right contract for him considering his market value, value to the team, past contibutions and age. It takes him right up to 33, 34 at which point he'll be a one/two year contract type guy.

If they end up giving him the extra year to make it 6 years, it's not ideal, but if it's the difference between keeping him and losing him, I'd do it. Work in a NTC to make up for lost salary. ****, I don't know, make a deal.

Thats very fair.

That said, I dont know why you're *****ing when its Callahan's camp that wont come off 7 years and states theyll take this to free agency.

They gotta do whats in their best interests. The Rangers will do the same.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Hank already bent us over the table this season, no more.

If Cally won't take the deal then trade him or let him walk in the off-season but lets stop this crap now before it screws the season up.

Same for Danny G if he acts the bollox.

It hurts a little less when a future hall of famer bends you over in negotiations.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
I've see a lot of "where is your loyalty" posts regarding this of late. Quite honestly, I'm tired, so I can't remember if I replied in another thread or not, so here's my take on this.

I love Cally. He's a real heart and soul guy. He goes into the dirty areas of the ice and gets **** done (albeit not so much lately).

With all of that said, how do we truly know where HIS loyalties lay? Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that this is a profession which you cannot do forever, and I am well in favor of ensuring some measure of financial security be gained, but within reason.

To me, if the length of terms are what's holding this up, it's obvious Cally is looking for nothing more than one hell of a pay day, regardless of who it comes from.

We're not talking about a 50 goal scorer here, and just like many who are saying things to the effect of how not signing him puts a black mark on the club in regards to how it treats its players, the same can be said in regards to the modern player's willingness to earn their contracts. If you believe in the team, you'd be willing to take a five year deal with an option to extend the contract at the end of it based on performance. Cally is not Jagr or Chelios. He's not going to play into his 40's, and if he does, I will truly be shocked.

The more I learn about this whole situation, the more (and I cannot believe I am saying this) I begin to side with the management in this.

Again, I love the kid, but not for what he's asking. Letting him walk would be a massive mistake on Sather's part. Trade him ASAP. Get a solid replacement plus hopefully a draft pick and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad