Rumor: Trade Thread XVI: Callahan looking for $6.85M+ AAV?

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I think Girardi will be much better equipped to handle his inevitable aging than Redden was. Redden was a PMD who depended upon his quickness. When that quickness went, he was lost.

Girardi is a classic shut down D that depends upon his smarts, experience, and positioning. Skating and quickness have never been the heart of his game.

Over the course of his next contract, hopefully with us, I'm sure he will fall from the 1st pair to the 2nd. But that is unlikely to happen for a few years yet. Players like Girardi tend to last a long time and are always valued and in demand.

Although he may already have peaked, he still a fine player and will likely remain one for years, even as his skills erode. We can replace Cally, we can't replace Girardi.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
His name is being thrown out there because its the only name thats been mentioned by reliable sources. Stewart, though inconsistent, plays a physical game and has a better scoring touch than callahan. The Rangers have guys that can be utilized for the PK: Boyle, Moore, Hagelin, Zuccarello. And its not like the rangers want to trade callahan, they really have no choice. It's been mentioned Buffalo seems to be the team willing to meet Callahan's asking price.

And comparing Dubinsky's salary to Stewart's is irrelevant. Different time, different cap situations. Salaries are inflated now. I'd take Stewart or Dubi's salaries considering what Callahan is about to get.

Just looking at stats, Stewart doesn't seem to be any more productive goals or assists-wise than Callahan has been (goal-wise Stewart has 6 more, but I meant more career-wise even though it probably wouldn't matter). They're about the same on the PP. I don't watch the Blues/him on a regular basis so I can't really say how he affects the rest of the game though. I'm just always wary of players that are labeled as playing X/Y/Z style, only to come to the Rangers and have everything just fall apart. I always forget the cap is gunna keep rising, I think I mentioned Stewart's contract being up after next season and that was where my train of thought ended on that. But what about teams like Phoenix/Colorado/Anaheim? Do they not have the room/enough money to throw around like that?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Stewart plus a good pick (Edmonton's 2nd) or a good prospect would be good value for a rental.
As you said, he is the only name we know because of the reports. For all we know they could be looking at a couple of other offers along the same lines.

Wish we knew those names so we can speculate about someone else :nod:

Anyways, was just watching Devils vs Avs. Still holding out hope Jagr could be a deadline addition. He still makes things happen.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Is there any benefit of not waiting till the trade deadline and getting it done before the Olympic freeze? I can't imagine there being anything.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
what has callahan done to put pressure on the rangers?

turned down an offer for 5yr 30m?

Well, this is what we heard about his agent earlier.
2:17PM: There is expected to be continued dialogue with Ryan Callahan’s agent and the Rangers this week before the roster freeze and potential deadline for a resolution on Friday. (ESPN NY)

There have been no developments on any potential front with Callahan and the Rangers in the past couple of days. Stephen Bartlett, Callahan’s agent, says that he will touch base with his client on Tuesday. Callahan doesn’t want to get involved with the business side of things. (ESPN NY)

Is he buying time? Well according to Dreger , he is

It seems like a pressing issue. What are the chances Callahan gets either signed or traded before this Friday's Olympic roster freeze?

Dreger: 50/50. I know that's an easy guess to make but I would say it's more unlikely to get done because there is a willingness to push this as far as you can. But in the meantime the Rangers also need to get as much in return as possible for Callahan. The Chris Stewart deal with the St. Louis Blues is still there; Stewart would be a part of that.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=442949&hubname=nhl-predators

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
What? I'm comparing the Del Zotto situation to the Callahan one. You know, what the post I quoted was about?

The Del Zotto situation, in that he's the odd man out of the roster?

For some reason I thought you meant Del Zotto came in to replace another defenseman.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Is there any benefit of not waiting till the trade deadline and getting it done before the Olympic freeze? I can't imagine there being anything.

Cally could get hurt. That's the benefit

We also have a month to get over the captain being dealt lol

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I expect a hero cookie, asap.

Chocolate pls.

Would Callahan really be the odd man out, if he didn't have ludicrous contract demands though?

He might not have been, but I think there's a decent possibility that Callahan taking a discount or signing for exact value would have resulted in Zuccarello being the odd man out.

All I have in the apartment is fortune cookies. You'll have to make do.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Again, so much talk on Clallahan, the Rangers have plenty of valuable pieces outside of him heading to UFA. Boyle. Moore. Stralman. Girardi. Pouliot.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Again, so much talk on Clallahan, the Rangers have plenty of valuable pieces outside of him heading to UFA. Boyle. Moore. Stralman. Girardi. Pouliot.

I really think that's a big factor, in combination with the Olympics injury concern, in why Sather wants this resolved this week, one way or the other.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

I don't see the rangers moving any of those guys. ESPECIALLY if they win 2 of the next 3 going into the break. They have finally gotten it together. The reason for moving callahan is because he will get you the best return. There's no reason to deal the 3rd and 4th liners. I believe Girardi will re-sign. Stralman they will wait until after the season.

We are not the Islanders or Oilers. We do not have to have a fire sale.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He might not have been, but I think there's a decent possibility that Callahan taking a discount or signing for exact value would have resulted in Zuccarello being the odd man out.

All I have in the apartment is fortune cookies. You'll have to make do.

Hm, not sure I'd come to that conclusion, but okay. I guess it's a good situation to be in.

And unlike Girardi, this team won't need to kill itself finding a replacement. Seems like Fast can step in as soon as now.

Fine, but I expect chocolate next time. You've been warned.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
the more information that comes out about negotiations and what kind of money Callahan wants the more his value keeps plummeting, I've seen Tarasenko and Jaskin's name thrown around in this thread, at this point were lucky to get just Stewart. I get that teams could want him for a playoff push but not at the price of young assets, all the playoff contenders rumored to be in on Callahan are pressed up against the cap, yes its rising but all these teams have their own players to take care of, no team is going to pony up a roster player, blue chip prospect and first for a guy they likely will not want to resign.

Also wouldn't be surprised at all if Girardi is signed very quickly after Callahan is traded, and more pieces start to be moved/signed like Boyle and Stralman.

Also dont like the fact that Callahan hasnt talked to his agent in a few days, I understand he has better things to worry about but it seams like the numbers have changed I wonder if that is Callahan or his agent making a final push for more money before Sathers deadline Friday.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I really think that's a big factor, in combination with the Olympics injury concern, in why Sather wants this resolved this week, one way or the other.

It needs to be done before. Too much risk to not trade him beforehand. This isn't Girardi who isn't playing.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Honestly, I see all of them walking for nothing except for Girardi. Maybe Boyle gets resigned.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I don't see the rangers moving any of those guys. ESPECIALLY if they win 2 of the next 3 going into the break. They have finally gotten it together. The reason for moving callahan is because he will get you the best return. There's no reason to deal the 3rd and 4th liners. I believe Girardi will re-sign. Stralman they will wait until after the season.

We are not the Islanders or Oilers. We do not have to have a fire sale.

Agreed this is a playoff team not a team needing to fire sale . Tons of teams keep ufas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca