Rumor: Trade Thread XVI: Callahan looking for $6.85M+ AAV?

• Thread starter BarbaraAlphanse
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
That would be an inexcusable and unmitigated disaster.

Now that's kind of an exaggeration.

I'd like the players that the organization doesn't see fit traded, though.

I'd like to see Stralman or Girardi's deal done soon, though. Losing both for nothing will really hurt.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Really turning into a gong show here. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Callahan and Girardi's fates were tied together. They're close with each other. Treating one badly could have negative consequences towards getting the other one signed.

The Stewart thing has been brought up by several people now. It has legs. The Rangers are using the Blues offer to set the market. Stewart "as a piece" in the deal. Makes teams have to pony up if they want him.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Shortsightedness.

Not really. I'd still like to see this team make the playoffs and win a round. A Cup isn't the be all, end all of a good season. The most likely outcome of trading all of those guys is that we miss the playoffs and get the 12-15 pick. Not worth it.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Because 3rd and 4th seeded teams in each conference never make it to the cup finals....

I guess every year from now on, if we are not 1st in the east we should move our UFAs so we can always get some value for them...

Please. Who have they beaten lately?

Look at the teams in the West. Are the Rangers bearing them?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
A couple of interesting things from the Insider Trading segment this evening:

1) Cally not only isn't considering (the far too high) offer of $6MM x 5 years, he wants much more than the previously reported $6MM x 7 years - to the tune of $6.5-7MM x 7 years.

2) The Chris Stewart deal is "still on the table". As in, it's been there and Sather is looking for more.

3) The aforementioned Chris Stewart deal is Stewart plus... well, something. In any event, it's not just Chris Stewart.

4) When they put their Insider Trading board up at the end of the segment, Callahan was listed first, AHEAD of Vanek. Is that how the league perceives both players?

5) Girardi - is still not done and may enter Callahan territory if it's not done by week's end. (Personally, assuming the differences are as small as has been reported, it would now shock me if they don't get a deal done.)

I realize I'm just summing up, but I thought it would be useful to encapsulate in one post.

Who knows how much of this is accurate, but it does lead to interesting grounds for speculation. One thing's for certain: I don't want them to lose any of these guys (including Boyle, Moore, Stralman, etc.) without getting SOME compensation.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Look at the teams in the West. Are the Rangers bearing them?

This team got off to a very slow start. They have beat some good teams during the past 1-2 months. The team understands the system a lot better. Boyle/Brassard (forget who it was) talked about it after the last game at the garden against the islanders...the team finally has the system down. They have a feel for it. They get into the playoffs and anything can happen.

Like Tawnos said, were gona sell off our UFAs at the deadline to finish as a bubble team and get a 12-16 pick in the draft. That's pretty damn poor management. What are we paying Lundqvist and Nash for? Why even ice a team.

Also don't know why we are worrying about multiple teams in the west...you get to the finals and you only play one.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Look at the teams in the West. Are the Rangers beating them?

More concerned about the teams in the East we'd have to beat to find out. They're 8-3-1 against teams in the Eastern playoff race in the month of January.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The Rangers are not going to just rebuild after signing Lundqvist for 8 years. If they trade Callahan or Girardi, etc, they are going to want NHL players. not picks or prospects.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This team got off to a very slow start. They have beat some good teams during the past 1-2 months. The team understands the system a lot better. Boyle/Brassard (forget who it was) talked about it after the last game at the garden against the islanders...the team finally has the system down. They have a feel for it. They get into the playoffs and anything can happen.

Like Tawnos said, were gona sell off our UFAs at the deadline to finish as a bubble team and get a 12-16 pick in the draft. That's pretty damn poor management. What are we paying Lundqvist and Nash for? Why even ice a team.

You do realize, we aren't dealing UFAs for the sake of dealing UFAs right? We'd deal the ones that don't fit. Trim the fat. Deal the guys that aren't in the longterm plans, or wont resign. Should we lose Girardi/Callahan/Stralman for nothing because we have a 10% chance of making the ECF? That's terrible asset management. The lower tier players are another story, it's not the end of the world if they are traded or walk, but I'd rather resign them or deal them before the playoffs. Have some kind of direction.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You do realize, we aren't dealing UFAs for the sake of dealing UFAs right? We'd deal the ones that don't fit. Trim the fat. Deal the guys that aren't in the longterm plans, or wont resign. Should we lose Girardi/Callahan/Stralman for nothing because we have a 10% chance of making the ECF? That's terrible asset management. The lower tier players are another story, it's not the end of the world if they are traded, but I'd rather resign them or deal them before the playoffs. Have some kind of direction.

Let's see where they are at the deadline. I don't believe in moving UFAs just because you are worried you can't re-sign them when you are sitting 2nd in your division.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You do realize, we aren't dealing UFAs for the sake of dealing UFAs right? We'd deal the ones that don't fit. Trim the fat. Deal the guys that aren't in the longterm plans, or wont resign. Should we lose Girardi/Callahan/Stralman for nothing because we have a 10% chance of making the ECF? That's terrible asset management. The lower tier players are another story, it's not the end of the world if they are traded, but I'd rather resign them or deal them before the playoffs. Have some kind of direction.

Well, we weren't talking about DG, Cally or Strals. It's the other guys. I'm not interested in destroying the depth. It might not be the end of the world if they're trade, but this team has zero depth if they are traded.

Pouliot, Moore, Boyle, Carcillo. Boyle probably has the most value... and is also the most redundant piece with Moore. Trade one of those two guys, maybe. Not all 4 of them.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Let's see where they are at the deadline. I don't believe in moving UFAs just because you are worried you can't re-sign them when you are sitting 2nd in your division.

If it's clear, meaning that the two of them wont budge, that Callahan/Girardi wont resign to Sather's terms, they should be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino