Friedman: Trade that might make sense only to me: something around Justin Faulk from Carolina to Detroit for

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Faulk is in the same range as Adam Larsson who returned Taylor Hall. AA would be a disappointment, although I would like him on the Canes.

Not that I'm saying AA for Faulk is a fair trade, but pretty sure Larsson for Hall was another in a long line of bad trades by Chia Pet.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
It's ridiculous no reason for Detroit to do this. They aren't in a position to contend with or without Faulk. By the time they might be he'll be at the end of his best days.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It's ridiculous no reason for Detroit to do this. They aren't in a position to contend with or without Faulk. By the time they might be he'll be at the end of his best days.

So the Red Wings aren't going to be contenders until around 2028?

You make it sound like Faulk is some hobbled vet... He's less than 2.5 years older than AA

The Red Wings would be getting a Dman that was able to score 15+ goals the last 3 seasons in exchange for a forward that likely settles as a streaky middle-6 secondary scorer. Faulk would be a cheaper and possible better replacement for Green.

The real argument about Faulks future in Detroit would be if he stays with the club past the expiration of his contract.

That being said, if he doesn't want to stick around, the Red Wings can still move him before his contract is up and as long as he's still a productive offensive dman, they probably get a fatter return for him than they likely ever would've for AA....

If Ron Francis called offering Faulk for AA straight up, the Red Wings would be foolish not to accept.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Woah. That's hilariously bad for Carolina. Faulk is a good top pairing (top 25 even) d-man.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
You could do worse than a 26 year old defenseman for a rebuild.
In the next couple years, guys like Cholowksi and Hronek should make the Red Wings. It would help if they had competent, still near their prime, defenseman to play with.

Get a guy nearing his retirement, maybe Jack Johnson when he's a free agent.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Changed my mind.
Faulk absolutely sucks this year.

.31 Points/60?
That's the worst on his team and worse than anyone on Detroit.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Good heavens Friedman needs to stop telling other people about "things that make sense to him". That's awful. The further he goes into his own speculation, the less sense his "30 million thoughts" make.

Athanasiou is not the sort of piece you trade a Top-4D on a reasonable contract and not far removed from some extremely productive seasons for.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
So the Red Wings aren't going to be contenders until around 2028?

You make it sound like Faulk is some hobbled vet... He's less than 2.5 years older than AA

The Red Wings would be getting a Dman that was able to score 15+ goals the last 3 seasons in exchange for a forward that likely settles as a streaky middle-6 secondary scorer. Faulk would be a cheaper and possible better replacement for Green.

The real argument about Faulks future in Detroit would be if he stays with the club past the expiration of his contract.

That being said, if he doesn't want to stick around, the Red Wings can still move him before his contract is up and as long as he's still a productive offensive dman, they probably get a fatter return for him than they likely ever would've for AA....

If Ron Francis called offering Faulk for AA straight up, the Red Wings would be foolish not to accept.

He'll be 26 in March, professional athletes generally start to decline around 29-30 years old. The Wings are about 3-4 years away from potentially contending again. If they're going to trade AA getting futures in return would make the most sense imo given the reality of there situation.

I'm also assuming it would cost more than just AA, if they were able to trade AA for Faulk I wouldn't hate it value wise I just wouldn't really get it. Like would they think they're contenders again because they traded for Faulk? If you make that move are you gonna make more moves to try and win now? Are we gonna forgo rebuilding and do a re-tool instead, making hockey trades with our tradeable assets instead of stocking up on futures?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
So no wings fan responded to this so I will ask again. TML offer their 2018 1st and Soshnikov or Leivo is that enough to get AA?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Love when people try to bash a player based on them never being to the playoffs. One defensemen cannot get a team to the playoffs on his own.

SMH
If he’s a top 25 d-man he should be a differencemaker, i.e the type of player that helps a team make the playoffs. Wings don’t need a d-man that can be a small part of a good team, they need a player that actually helps them become that good team.

So no wings fan responded to this so I will ask again. TML offer their 2018 1st and Soshnikov or Leivo is that enough to get AA?
I’d say no. Wings would likely be much more interested in going straight up AA for Dermott or Liljegren, something the Leafs are unlikely to be interested in. Don’t see a Leafs/Wings match for AA unless it’s part of something bigger (Green perhaps).

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
If he’s a top 25 d-man he should be a differencemaker, i.e the type of player that helps a team make the playoffs. Wings don’t need a d-man that can be a small part of a good team, they need a player that actually helps them become that good team.

I’d say no. Wings would likely be much more interested in going straight up AA for Dermott or Liljegren, something the Leafs are unlikely to be interested in. Don’t see a Leafs/Wings match for AA unless it’s part of something bigger (Green perhaps).

So he’s never been a difference maker because he can’t carry a dumpster fire of a team to the playoffs?

Connor McDavid isn’t going to get his team to the playoffs this year and he’s the best forward in the game. I guess he’s not a difference maker.

Bottom line, one player cannot take a team to the playoffs. This isn’t the NBA.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Didn't we also hear that AA Larkin and Mantha were the untouchable core that Holland was moving forward with?
No, AA has been on the market for a while and never spoken of as a core piece.

So he’s never been a difference maker because he can’t carry a dumpster fire of a team to the playoffs?

Connor McDavid isn’t going to get his team to the playoffs this year and he’s the best forward in the game. I guess he’s not a difference maker.

Wouldn’t call them a dumpster fire at all.

Reactions: Flukeshot

Jan 21, 2018

Leafs are not trading their 2018 for a 1st.

If they move it it will be for a D.

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
No, AA has been on the market for a while and never spoken of as a core piece.

Wouldn’t call them a dumpster fire at all.

Faulk isn't the reason we haven't made the playoffs. He's in a slump right before entering his prime years.

AA hasn't even reached 30 points in a season and sports a -13.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad