Rumor: Trade Rumours & Proposals | Would NYR Move Kreider? | Reinhart Unclaimed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Dubinsky coincidentally played 20+ minutes last night for only the second time this season.

I would absolutely hate it given our more pressing needs, but what if Chia is shooting for Dubinsky + Ryan Murray for RNH? Dubs is a Chiarelli player through and through, and he'd try to justify the deal on the basis of his PK and faceoff abilities.

While Dubinsky is good in both areas, that's not something to blow our best trade chip on. PKers are a $1M a dozen, but it would be just like Chiarelli to make a move like that. :facepalm:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I you are trading with the BJS, Josh Anderson has to be the player coming back. With our cap situation on the way, that contract would be a steal

I would do RNH for Anderson/Johnson

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
CBJ is willing to trade D for F.

I'm not entirely sure what F we could actually afford to give up that would get us a worthwhile D. Maybe it's JP for Johnson? (I kid, I kid...)

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
I you are trading with the BJS, Josh Anderson has to be the player coming back. With our cap situation on the way, that contract would be a steal

I would do RNH for Anderson/Johnson

I agree, Josh Anderson would be a great player to target. Exactly why they would not give him up.

Maybe their GM wants to right a wrong and is trying to pry Puljujarvi from the Oil.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Moving RNH right now would be idiotic unless we were getting back a superior player at center or on defense. He is easily playing up to his contract this season and is signed for something like 3 or 4 more seasons after this one. Jesse is looking like the stud RW that we've been searching for and a one shot scorer. Yamamoto probably earns a spot out of camp next season and if not, he isn't that far away.

Dubinsky is a $5,850,000 cap hit for 3 more seasons beyond this one. Trading Nuge for him would be going ass backwards. If we were adding Dubinsky maybe it'd be for Maroon and Strome or something along those lines with Columbus either retaining or kicking in a decent prospect or pick.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
lmao people are cool with trading Nuge right when he starts to right the ship on his career for a guy whose career high is 29 points. I'd ask what is wrong with those people but I don't think I have the time to read that text book.

Reactions: ujju2

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Moving RNH right now would be idiotic unless we were getting back a superior player at center or on defense. He is easily playing up to his contract this season and is signed for something like 3 or 4 more seasons after this one. Jesse is looking like the stud RW that we've been searching for and a one shot scorer. Yamamoto probably earns a spot out of camp next season and if not, he isn't that far away.

Dubinsky is a $5,850,000 cap hit for 3 more seasons beyond this one. Trading Nuge for him would be going ass backwards. If we were adding Dubinsky maybe it'd be for Maroon and Strome or something along those lines with Columbus either retaining or kicking in a decent prospect or pick.

I agree we definitely can't afford to trade him at the moment and if he continues to play this way and puts up career numbers it's only going to help his value.

My hope is that in the off season they can deal RNH for a package that includes a proper 3C, a 1st and a decent winger prospect while also clearing 2-3M in cap space.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
lmao people are cool with trading Nuge right when he starts to right the ship on his career for a guy whose career high is 29 points. I'd ask what is wrong with those people but I don't think I have the time to read that text book.

This is sort of like not wanting to trade Sam Gagner after his mirage of a season in 2013. The Oilers instead kept him to predictable results.

The best time to trade players with no long-term role on your club is when they are playing well. How about we buck the trend of having to trade guys for nothing?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree we definitely can't afford to trade him at the moment and if he continues to play this way and puts up career numbers it's only going to help his value.

My hope is that in the off season they can deal RNH for a package that includes a proper 3C, a 1st and a decent winger prospect while also clearing 2-3M in cap space.

I think that you keep him unless you can deal him as part of a trade for someone like Doughty. The recipe for success for this team with Connor and Leon's deals will probably be strength down the middle with 1 pricey winger and 1 cheap winger rounding out the line.

Plug/ELC player-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Plug/ELC player-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Lucic-RNH-Plug/ELC player

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This is sort of like not wanting to trade Sam Gagner after his mirage of a season in 2013. The Oilers instead kept him to predictable results.

The best time to trade players with no long-term role on your club is when they are playing well. How about we buck the trend of having to trade guys for nothing?

Difference being that Nuge has improved on faceoffs, looks like a much better player and is a former 1st overall pick. This also isn't a contract year for Nuge so it's not like he suddenly put in the work just to get paid.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Difference being that Nuge has improved on faceoffs

Really? What convinced you, the 39% on the draw against NJ, or the 23% against NYI?

looks like a much better player

Looks can be deceiving, and especially with professional athletes that have no track record of maintaining said looks.

and is a former 1st overall pick.

Nobody cares.

This also isn't a contract year for Nuge so it's not like he suddenly put in the work just to get paid.

He's had PPG stretches before. Never has that translated into consistent production. I'd bet pretty strongly that is again the case... but sure, let's keep that $6M contract for when he's back to the 40-point level and playing third line minutes because Drai and McDavid are running their own lines.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Really? What convinced you, the 39% on the draw against NJ, or the 23% against NYI?

Looks can be deceiving, and especially with professional athletes that have no track record of maintaining said looks.

Nobody cares.

He's had PPG stretches before. Never has that translated into consistent production. I'd bet pretty strongly that is again the case... but sure, let's keep that $6M contract for when he's back to the 40-point level and playing third line minutes because Drai and McDavid are running their own lines.

I didn't realize that 2 games outweighs 14.

Especially when you don't know your ass from your elbow and don't know what you're looking at.

Speak for yourself.

If you can't see that this is the best that he's looked offensively since his rookie season and the best overall then there's no point in me wasting time on you. Well until that happens (will it ever happen under this coach) it's all speculation. And if Nuge can chip in 40+ points while playing with plugs that's pretty valuable. How many 3Cs had 40+ points last season?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

The Oilers centre depth without Nuge is McDavid and that's it. Interested to know what kind of return you think he'd garner (especially given Chia is chronically unable to win those kinds of trades) that would improve the roster.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010

This is absurd. Why? So we can be a shitty team next year again because we let go of a 50 point player and got a worse player in return? That'll surely help this team long term. RNH is nothing like Gagner. Like nothing at all. If we were talking about trading Strome than maybe your Gagner comparison holds merit but this entire post is just so idiotic. Here's a silly idea if a player you have signed long term suddenly finds his game again why not I don't know keep that player on the team.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I didn't realize that 2 games outweighs 14.

But then 14 games somehow outweighs every single season prior to this. Interesting logic.

Especially when you don't know your ass from your elbow and don't know what you're looking at.

Not really becoming of a moderator.

Speak for yourself.

If you can't see that this is the best that he's looked offensively since his rookie season and the best overall then there's no point in me wasting time on you.

Great, so it's an excellent time to trade him then.

Well until that happens (will it ever happen under this coach) it's all speculation.

It happened for stretches last year, and Nuge looked awful as a result.

And if Nuge can chip in 40+ points while playing with plugs that's pretty valuable. How many 3Cs had 40+ points last season?

How many teams had $6M 3Cs last year? There's your answer as to why it's better the team trade him than keep him- you know, that whole salary cap thing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Oilers centre depth without Nuge is McDavid and that's it. Interested to know what kind of return you think he'd garner (especially given Chia is chronically unable to win those kinds of trades) that would improve the roster.

Drais is a natural center so we could fall back on him as our 2C. The problem is that we don't have much in terms of wingers to allow both to thrive. What if they both struggle a bit when being split up? The bottom 6 will continue to be an abyss of offense. Trading Nuge right now would be stupid unless the return was just too good to pass up.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
The Oilers centre depth without Nuge is McDavid and that's it.

It's actually McDavid, Draisaitl, Strome and Letestu if the lines are set right. They aren't, though, and may never be under TMacT and Chiarelli.

Interested to know what kind of return you think he'd garner (especially given Chia is chronically unable to win those kinds of trades) that would improve the roster.

I don't really want Chia to be the one to trade him, but I have to think he'd fill at least two of our four critical needs in one shot if moved regardless of the GM who does it: offensive RHD, 2 X top-six RW, top-six LW.

This is absurd. Why? So we can be a ****ty team next year again because we let go of a 50 point player and got a worse player in return?

Why would we get a worse player in return?

That'll surely help this team long term. RNH is nothing like Gagner. Like nothing at all.

Smallish, weak centers with no faceoff or defensive abilities to speak of. RNH is a faster tortoise with a better release. That's about it.

If we were talking about trading Strome than maybe your Gagner comparison holds merit but this entire post is just so idiotic.

It's idiotic to trade players who don't fit long-term when they are playing well? Tell me more.

Here's a silly idea if a player you have signed long term suddenly finds his game again why not I don't know keep that player on the team.

Because he does not fit cap-wise after this year, and there's a very real concern he will not be able to repeat even his usual tepid numbers when pushed down the lineup. It's as simple as that.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Drais is a natural center so we could fall back on him as our 2C. The problem is that we don't have much in terms of wingers to allow both to thrive.

It's almost like you could trade RNH for at least one winger or something, thereby making the whole roster stronger.

What if they both struggle a bit when being split up?

If an $8.5M player can't drive his own line, we have bigger problems than just trading RNH.

The bottom 6 will continue to be an abyss of offense.

RNH does nothing to fix that today. Why would trading him make it worse?

Trading Nuge right now would be stupid unless the return was just too good to pass up.

...which is usually the case when someone is playing at an unsustainable level. Ding ding, we have a winner.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
But then 14 games outweigh every single season prior this. Interesting logic.

When the player is clearly improved yes, yes it does.

Not really becoming of a moderator.

Cry me a river, part of being a Mod is having the trait of calling out BS when you see it.

Great, so it's an excellent time to trade him then.

That depends on the return. Clearly it's best to trade players when their value is high, that said would we be better off keeping him and having him continue to thrive or trade our 3rd leading scorer when we are starved for offense? Hmmm let's think about that one for a minute.....

It happened for stretches last year, and Nuge looked awful as a result.

That was last season's Nuge. Nuge's last strong season was in '14-15 and he is playing better this year than he did then and on the 2nd line without top unit PP time to boot.

How many teams had $6M 3Cs last year? There's your answer as to why it's better the team trade him than keep him- you know, that whole salary cap thing.

There's more than 1 way to build a team under the whole salary cap thing, but that would take some thought and effort neither of which you have put forth in this discussion.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I entirely get the sentiment, we've traded guys from either a position of weakness or when they are at career lows far too often for the majority of the last decade. Though the first question to ask here is RNH's current level of play a mirage or did he breakthrough to the next level and is this the new norm? To support the conclusion that this is a mirage you need only look as far as his shooting percentage being well above career norms. Though visually its hard to argue against the fact that Nuge definitely is flashing his offensive chops a lot more often and seems to be finding the puck more often, then in years past, at face value it appears he took McLellan's challenge for more offense to heart and is playing like it. While RNH has gone on pretty decent point streaks in the past, everytime I can recall of in which that happened it was the line as a whole that was really playing well and clicking, not necessarily RNH taking the leading role, more just a strong supporting character, but at the moment it very much feels like RNH has taken the feature role and done it with fairly uninspiring linemates.

As an aside I get the Gagner mirage comparison and trading him at his peak, but let's all agree here that RNH is the strictly better player he's always been much better defensively and a better player on the whole cause of that fact.

With respect to CBJ feels very much like an instance of if we trade RNH to them it will be for a grab bag of lesser pieces, they certainly won't be parting with Jones or Werenski and while P.L. Dubois might be enticing from a value perspective, he won't be as impactful as RNH anytime soon.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's almost like you could trade RNH for at least one winger or something, thereby making the whole roster stronger.

Yes because trading RNH for a winger would be great asset management. And you complain about Chia :laugh:

If an $8.5M player can't drive his own line, we have bigger problems than just trading RNH.

I'm less concerned with Leon than I am Connor right now TBH. Connor does not look himself, Leon just came off of a concussion.

RNH does nothing to fix that today. Why would trading him make it worse?

If Drai moved to C then Nuge would most definitely create more offense from the bottom 6.

...which is usually the case when someone is playing at an unsustainable level. Ding ding, we have a winner.

Yes because it is unusual for players to break out 6-7 years after the draft.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
When the player is clearly improved yes, yes it does.

You've arbitrarily decided that those 14 games are now the end-all and be-all of the player. There's zero evidence to support that, and literally years of it to the contrary. Why do you think that's reasonable?

Cry me a river, part of being a Mod is having the trait of calling out BS when you see it.

So if I go elsewhere on the board and use the same language, I won't get an infraction? Interesting, I'll have to test that. Will you then go to bat for me if I do get one?

That depends on the return. Clearly it's best to trade players when their value is high

Amazing. Wish I had had this same thought myself.

that said would we be better off keeping him and having him continue to thrive or trade our 3rd leading scorer when we are starved for offense? Hmmm let's think about that one for a minute.....

We're starved for offense because our top six wingers are a collection of refrigerators and prospects, to say nothing of the bottom six. RNH helps neither problem right now, but could be used to help it via trade.

That was last season's Nuge.

Actually it was the last six season's Nuge. But why look at history? 14 games!!!

Nuge's last strong season was in '14-15 and he is playing better this year than he did then and on the 2nd line without top unit PP time to boot.

RNH was also the team's only offensive center of note that year. Do you think that's a coincidence?

There's more than 1 way to build a team under the whole salary cap thing, but that would take some thought and effort neither of which you have put forth in this discussion.

There are 31 ways to do it, actually, but oddly enough none of them involve putting $6M at center on the third line. Maybe those other GMs just haven't put in your level of "thought" or "effort", though.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I entirely get the sentiment, we've traded guys from either a position of weakness or when they are at career lows far too often for the majority of the last decade. Though the first question to ask here is RNH's current level of play a mirage or did he breakthrough to the next level and is this the new norm? To support the conclusion that this is a mirage you need only look as far as his shooting percentage being well above career norms. Though visually its hard to argue against the fact that Nuge definitely is flashing his offensive chops a lot more often and seems to be finding the puck more often, then in years past, at face value it appears he took McLellan's challenge for more offense to heart and is playing like it.

As an aside I get the Gagner mirage comparison and trading him at his peak, but let's all agree here that RNH is the strictly better player he's always been much better defensively and a better player on the whole cause of that fact.

With respect to CBJ feels very much like an instance of if we trade RNH to them it will be for a grab bag of lesser pieces, they certainly won't be parting with Jones or Werenski and while P.L. Dubois might be enticing from a value perspective, he won't be as impactful as RNH anytime soon.

His shooting % is up but his assists could be quite a bit higher too so it balances out IMO. He is clearly playing a more offensive game to anyone that is watching him objectively.

CBJ trades Johansen for Jones, yet we'll trade Nuge for spare parts there? It doesn't make sense. If we move Nuge for spare parts then this season is over for all intents and purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad