Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: The Eve of mayhem, gossip and things that go bump

Status
Not open for further replies.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
After expansion:

Eberle + Nurse
For
Barrie + Grigorenko

Tough to give up on Nurse IMO. On the fence for this one.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm honestly not sure about that 'only needing him for one year' stuff.

He brings a lot of things that are really tough to identify on a stat sheet and the coaching staff and players seem to love him.

I don't see much on the free agent market that's interesting in the least.

I wouldn't be overly upset at 4x4. Probably a year more than I'd ideally want to give him but nothing worth losing sleep over.

If we are to be serious contenders we need to bring in a better top 4 Dman than Russell. Bottom 4 of Nurse, Benning, Sekera, Russell just isnt good enough.
Russell would be good for 1 year to shelter Nurse and Benning and will fill the void of Sekera. If we lock him up for 4yrs @ 4M we are done on D long term.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
If we are to be serious contenders we need to bring in a better top 4 Dman than Russell. Bottom 4 of Nurse, Benning, Sekera, Russell just isnt good enough.
Russell would be good for 1 year to shelter Nurse and Benning and will fill the void of Sekera. If we lock him up for 4yrs @ 4M we are done on D long term.

Another one of those ****** narratives being dished out on HFOil recently.

All things considered, if the Oilers weren't ****ed by the ****** reffing, they would have been in the West Conference Finals against the Preds. I know it's really a random crapshoot, but Vegas also has our odds as tied for second best to win the cup.

Sekera was one of our better D last season, Russell led the league in blocked shots, and Benning and Nurse should only be trending upwards.

I'm not saying it is as good as it can be, but it's a lie to think it's not good enough, since we basically were on the cusp this season and are prepared to repeat again this next season.

Edit: And if we are done with D long term with signing Russell, by the end of that contract, Nurse and Benning (by all accounts) should have improved enough to push Russell down the depth charts anyways. So if current-form Russell is your worst dman, you're sitting pretty ****ing pretty, imo.

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
Is Alzner at 5.5-6mil long term better than Russell at 4x4? The 4mil per isn't sitting well with me.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Signing Russel for 4x4 is the opposite direction that Chiarelli needs to go for the type of team that we will have.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Larsson.

Don't get used to any other names. We need to be willing to move on from guys who price themselves out, and replace them with cheaper vet signings or through trade.

It's how teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh manage.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Signing Russel for 4x4 is the opposite direction that Chiarelli needs to go for the type of team that we will have.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Larsson.

Don't get used to any other names. We need to be willing to move on from guys who price themselves out, and replace them with cheaper vet signings or through trade.

It's how teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh manage.

The thing that people aren't taking into consideration is that all of our D are signed for a fairly low $$ amount. Larsson and Klefbom are on amazing deals, Sekera is probably right at earning his contract, Nurse and Benning are low right now, and probably won't get huge raises when they are up for them, and then if Russell makes $4M out of leverage/injury necessity, that still has your D-core being reasonable. We have the luxury of not having any "elite" dmen who garner the 6M+ contracts (thank holy hell that we didn't do that Subban trade). That allows us to keep a deeper d-corps. Russell would be overpaid and too long of term, but that's allowable with our D structure.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I am one that thinks RNH needs to be trade for a more typical 3rd line C . But it is not because he is the weakest link . Not sure what team you have been watching . Starting to sound like you are a fan of another team that comes in as an Oiler fan to bash . Lets see how a true hockey mind views RNH

Coach T Mac

Uses RNH against the toughest match ups . Which aloud McDavid and Draisaitl to get the easy match ups and it lets them produce at their high pace

When Jones was traded they polled 9 GM,s and 5 of them had RNH over Johansen .

If you basing your views on offensive yeah it has been down because of how he is being used . This is also why I think a trade makes sense as you can sign a 3rd line C that better defensively and cheaper

That's why RNH was facing 3rd and 4th line competition by the end of the Anaheim series? He was making soft rookie plays all over the ice. Never seen a "vet" be so bad!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Another one of those ****** narratives being dished out on HFOil recently.

Edit: And if we are done with D long term with signing Russell, by the end of that contract, Nurse and Benning (by all accounts) should have improved enough to push Russell down the depth charts anyways. So if current-form Russell is your worst dman, you're sitting pretty ****ing pretty, imo.

so in your opinion we are good on D then. IMO we still need a Dman better than Klefbom and Larsson if we want to contend.
Nurse needs a better complimenting partner. Nurse-Benning is just not reliable enough for me.

Russell should be the stop gap and someone like Hamonic should be the target.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
This discussion on where player lined up in the playoffs aligning with their value has to end. Player get jumbled, Todd loves mixing lines and because players where moved up and down does not necessarily mean they are less of a player

ie. Kessel love the hot dog eating guy or not is a great player, if on the third line in the playoffs does that mean his trade value is Pouliot? Or that he wasn't playing well enough for the top 2 lines?

Not necessarily (although can be the case) coaches try to expose holes as well as sometimes certain players, talent aside match up better against other players

Nuge and Eberle are both Valuable, neither are dumps, and we need to start aiming higher in terms of returns if were going to be contenders in the future, done are the days of getting crap returns on our players

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
so in your opinion we are good on D then. IMO we still need a Dman better than Klefbom and Larsson if we want to contend.
Nurse needs a better complimenting partner. Nurse-Benning is just not reliable enough for me.

Russell should be the stop gap and someone like Hamonic should be the target.

IMO both Klefbom and Larsson are better than anything that the team that just won the cup had during their run.

Without Letang, our Defense is far better than theirs.

Infact, had we made the finals I'm confident we could have beaten the penguins. We'd have some answers for Crosby and Malkin. They would have had nothing for Connor and Drai.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I think I have asked this like 5 times and have not received a legitimate response from the trade RNH crowd.

Who do we play as our 2C when Drai moves to 1RW?

Letestu? This so called 3C we are gunning for (well he better have some offence)? Caggiula?

I just do not understand how everyone is completely fine blowing up the teams flexibility when we know Todd like's the ability to stack lines from SJ. Then we also know that Chia said he liked the flexibility in the top 6.

If we move Nuge we need a center just as good coming back who is cheaper in a change of scenery type deal. Where each player is just a better fit for the other team.
Our forward prospect pool is weak so we have no plausible internal replacement for a few years so be careful about just throwing guys out.

North

Jun 25, 2009
This just means that there are 6 teams willing to underpay for him... :sarcasm:

This is going to be the narrative on the mains.

Most seem to not realize the Oilers aren't hooped if they don't trade Eberle.

The team that is hooped is the one who needs his points but fails to get him.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
After expansion:

Eberle + Nurse
For
Barrie + Grigorenko

Tough to give up on Nurse IMO. On the fence for this one.

I'd do it. I don't have confidence in Nurses ability to develop into a top pairing guy like most of HFOil does.
Barrie will provide 50-60 points from the backend and Grigorenko can be groomed to be a long-term #3C for cheap. Small sample size but had a 58% on faceoffs and is competent enough at both ends of the ice.
Would want a small add from the Avs but not a deal breaker.
Pretty fair offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad