Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: The Eve of mayhem, gossip and things that go bump

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Eberle and Reinhart

for

Barrie and Coulborne

I could see this deal before expansion.

Edmonton would be left to expose Kassian, Colbourne and Letestu to LV - perhaps working a draft pick trade to entice LV to not select Kas and Testy. The Avs would have the expansion flex to protect Reinhart.

The Isles seem like they will get gently screwed.

Best case scenario is moving a top 4d pre expanch for a good return or to upgrade the forward group.

Eberle seems like a possibility but it's debateable whether or not he's a top option for them. The salary is probably a killer. why not trade for prospects and throw that salary at oshie?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the Isles are desperate for scoring and need to show Tavares they're serious about competing for the playoffs or he'll walk
makes sense from and Islanders stand-point

not sure why Colorado has interest in Eberle, but I'd love Barrie on our 2nd pairing and as PP QB

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
But according to the main boards he's not worth anything ;)

Its not just the Main boards....plenty of posters on this board have convinced themselves that Eberle's value is slightly above dirt.

Silliness.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
A "D-Core" of the following is pretty solid

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Hamonic
Nurse - Benning
Ex. Gryba (resigned)

Be nice to bring Russell back for a 2-3 year deal, with a 3.5-4mil cap hit but I don't see that, we will either over pay or get out bid. Great team guy so he will be missed.

While Sekera is out:
Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Hamonic
Nurse - Benning

When Sekera returns:
Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Hamonic
Russell - Benning
Nurse (in and out with Benning)
Nice depth

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You saw Pittsburgh's d right?

Letang was out and they had a whole lot of nothing on there but they just won their second cup.

All of the Pens D moved the puck better than Russell does though, and Sullivan has a game plan that makes all his D interchangeable as long as they can make a quick pass to the various forwards always moving their feet giving options.

I don't think we can mimic what the Pens do with McLellan first off, who loves to grind everything out in his own end, and also without a bunch of D that can make quick decisions aside from ringing things along the boards.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm quite confident that if Eberle was brought back for next season and put on the first line, or at least got first PP unit time, he'd bounce back to 60+ points. The problem is, Letestu showed last season, and especially towards the end, that he can produce at a high rate on the first unit with McDavid. So there's no reason to have Eberle around at 6 million when you'll get the same PP production out of a 4th liner that costs a fraction of that. Not to mention, McDavid with anyone at even strength has pretty much gotten the same results throughout his first two years.

I think if the Oilers move Eberle, they'll be looking for a good middle six 5 on 5 player, who doesn't rely on the PP for any offence, and for that reason should come at a much cheaper price than Eberle. If they can squeeze out a good defenceman or third line center for Eberle, the team probably improves quite a bit.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Watching the playoffs, I feel like one of the reasons the Preds were able to beat the Ducks while we lost was Subban's ability to get in the face of the Duck fowards and rough them up. We didn't have anybody who could do that. Getzlaf was not physically challenged by our D.

Hamonic would address a lot of that IMO.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Would you consider making an Eberle for Hamonic trade pre-expansion draft? Cuz I think that's the only way the Isles make that trade. Allows them to go 7-3-1 and we'd have to go 4-4-1.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Unless the league goes back to the old rules with 5-6 PP's a game, I think you have to take Hamonic over Barrie.

Our PP was already well over 20%. I don't think it gets much better with Barrie. All that probably happens is that some of the points Klefbom/Sekera got will get re-distributed to Barre.

agreed.... barrie makes our already pretty good PP a little better, and helps in some transition offence.... over the last 3 years, he was 1st in EV/TOI/GP, 36the in SH/TOI/GP (only 24 seconds a game, so essentially no time), and 1st in PP/TOI/GP... he has an impressive 140 points in the last 3 years, but 47 of them came on the PP (34% of the total)

but hamonic is a big minute eater who helps all over the ice (over the last 3 years, he was 1st in EV/TOI/GP, 2nd in SH/TOI/GP, and 20th in PP/TOI/GP... his rather low point totals (33, 21, and 14) pretty much all come at EV or SH... of his 68 points in the last 3 years, only 9 of them came on the PP (only 13% of the total)

hamonic is bigger (6'2"/205#, vs 5'10"/190#) and has a much more favorable contract... hamonic's is 3.857m for the next 3 years, while barrie's is 5.5m for the next 3 years

hamonic is the better choice by a mile, in almost every respect you look at .... and the one thing that barrie does better (offense and PP) are the areas where the oilers need the least amount of help... this isn't even close... however, hamonic would likely cost a LOT more to obtain, for all the reasons listed above

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Watching the playoffs, I feel like one of the reasons the Preds were able to beat the Ducks while we lost was Subban's ability to get in the face of the Duck fowards and rough them up. We didn't have anybody who could do that. Getzlaf was not physically challenged by our D.

Hamonic would address a lot of that IMO.

i thought hamonic wasn't really considered that gritty? maybe i'm wrong though

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Would you consider making an Eberle for Hamonic trade pre-expansion draft? Cuz I think that's the only way the Isles make that trade. Allows them to go 7-3-1 and we'd have to go 4-4-1.

I get the sense the only point of NYI moving Hamonic or de Haan is to give them space to protect Ryan Pulock.

The Oilers aren't well equipped for this kind of deal expansion-wise unless they want to lose Kassian or Letestu too.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd take Hamonic over Barrie if given the choice. Then we could get away with a cheaper option for the PP like Franson for example. Maybe Bear becomes that player in time or if we draft a RHD this year?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I assume that's how most Oiler fan imagine it would happen. If we trade for a D we'd be leaving some forwards exposed. The D are only available in the first place because of expansion

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I get the sense the only point of NYI moving Hamonic or de Haan is to give them space to protect Ryan Pulock.

The Oilers aren't well equipped for this kind of deal expansion-wise unless they want to lose Kassian or Letestu too.

I would give up Letestu pretty easily if it meant my top 4 was locked in for the next 4 seasons at under 20 million dollars.

He's a nice player but far from irreplaceable.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

i probably wouldn't actually.... as it would mean losing letestu or kassian in the draft as well, so the trade would be eberle + letestu/kassian for hamonic... our cap hit would go down by 2.15 million though, which does have some value

my reasoning is that we simply don't have anybody even remotely ready to take over eberle's RW spot.... when you include the loss of letestu or kassian, it just isn't worth it in my mind... although either of those players are more easily replaced, especially letestu, which is why i think LV would take kassian, even with the substance abuse problems

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

That's the rub. We can go 7-3-1 and basically not lose anybody of any value, or take advantage of a team desperate to drop a Dman for their own expansion needs and risk losing one of Kassian, Maroon or Letestu.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
What? Have you ever seen him play? Ask Taylor Hall if Hamonic is gritty. If you don't get that reference youtube it up.

yeah, but that was junior... did he carry that over to the NHL? again, i'm not saying i'm right, i just don't recall a lot of people stating that he was gritty.... my memory sometimes no worky-work though, so i could totally be off on this one

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I don't worry about losing Letestu. It won't be that hard finding a RH shot to score tap-ins at the side of the net.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
yeah, but that was junior... did he carry that over to the NHL? again, i'm not saying i'm right, i just don't recall a lot of people stating that he was gritty.... my memory sometimes no worky-work though, so i could totally be off on this one

Hamonic would be the second toughest defenseman on the Oilers, unless Gryba sticks around. He can fight, and his physicality is more along the lines of the wear 'em down style that Larsson plays, rather than the booming hit style of Gryba. So, in terms of physicality, I would say he is of the Larsson type with much better fighting capability.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Would love Hamonic, but can't see it happening pre-expansion draft, nor the Isles needing to post-expansion draft.

Although, hearing 'Islanders & Colorado in chase for Eberle' is pretty encouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->