Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: The Eve of mayhem, gossip and things that go bump

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I just hope we dont trade Eberle to the Islanders. Fleeced us in the Reinhart deal and didnt want to give up Hamonic for Hall. Cheap as ****

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Eberle and Reinhart

for

Barrie and Coulborne

I could see this deal before expansion.

Edmonton would be left to expose Kassian, Colbourne and Letestu to LV - perhaps working a draft pick trade to entice LV to not select Kas and Testy. The Avs would have the expansion flex to protect Reinhart.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I just hope we dont trade Eberle to the Islanders. Fleeced us in the Reinhart deal and didnt want to give up Hamonic for Hall. Cheap as ****

yeh ..dont want straight swap for Strome from Isles nor Soderberg from Avs.
anything else I am good with.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003

Thank God they never traded Hamonic for Hall...

#LarssonIsBetter

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Eberle and Reinhart

for

Barrie and Coulborne

I could see this deal before expansion.

Edmonton would be left to expose Kassian, Colbourne and Letestu to LV - perhaps working a draft pick trade to entice LV to not select Kas and Testy. The Avs would have the expansion flex to protect Reinhart.

Why would we do this before the expansion draft?
Avs have no one to protect so this can be done after the expansion draft.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd do it. I don't have confidence in Nurses ability to develop into a top pairing guy like most of HFOil does.
Barrie will provide 50-60 points from the backend and Grigorenko can be groomed to be a long-term #3C for cheap. Small sample size but had a 58% on faceoffs and is competent enough at both ends of the ice.
Would want a small add from the Avs but not a deal breaker.
Pretty fair offer.

I'm much more confident in Nurse's ability to become a top-pairing defenseman (top-4 is just fine too) then I do Grigorenko becoming a consistent and effective 3rd line center.

It's an awful deal for the Oilers.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Why would we do this before the expansion draft?
Avs have no one to protect so this can be done after the expansion draft.

True - you don't have to do it before or after expansion. There would need to be some contingency in place if Reinhart were taken off EDM by LV though.

I think that taking a contract like Colbourne will be part of the Ebs deal. I can accept that. He's got one year left and is a serviceable 4C/W.

North

Jun 25, 2009

The hilarious thing is that they seem to have outsmarted themselves out of any cup window they had.

Every year was not the year to go out and get help. Then they lose Nielsen and Okposo and replace them with Ladd and nobody.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
This is going to be the narrative on the mains.

Most seem to not realize the Oilers aren't hooped if they don't trade Eberle.

The team that is hooped is the one who needs his points but fails to get him.

And this includes most Oilers fans.

So far Chiarelli has shown me that he knows what he's doing and I'm sure he's not going to just give Eberle away.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Signing Russel for 4x4 is the opposite direction that Chiarelli needs to go for the type of team that we will have.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Larsson.

Don't get used to any other names. We need to be willing to move on from guys who price themselves out, and replace them with cheaper vet signings or through trade.

It's how teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh manage.

Agree. That's our core and that's who we need to build around. Can't afford to spend money and term on guys who are not core guys, especially not with Lucic and Sekera signed at big dollars long-term already. Talbot, McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera and Lucic is basically our team going forward. Chia needs to be smart about how he spends around those guys. Handing out long-term deals to guys like Russell could really cripple this team.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I like the debate of Hamonic versus Barrie.

Scenario 1
Acquiring Hamonic solidifies your top 4 for the next 3-4 years easily.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Hamonic

Pros: Defensively above average, a top 4 that would consistently shut down opposition, extremely disciplined and offensively coachable, great passers
Cons: Offensive production is on lower side, less speed in transition with Lars and Hamonic against neutral zone systems

Scenario 2
Acquiring Barrie gives your top 4 a new offensive dynamic.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Barrie

Pros: Different element on each pairing with consistent threats on the rush in Klefbom and Barrie, more compatible with McDavid's speed, great passers
Cons: Defensively at risk with Sekera and Larsson likely shouldering more responsibility with potential to increase fatigue, might risk more goals against

I almost still lean towards Barrie because I think our team defense as a 5 man unit has improved and may help hide some of Barrie's inadequacies on defense.

Also means a third pairing of Nurse-Benning where Benning can get some opportunity in Barrie's spot if Tyson's having a rough night.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I'd do it. I don't have confidence in Nurses ability to develop into a top pairing guy like most of HFOil does.
Barrie will provide 50-60 points from the backend and Grigorenko can be groomed to be a long-term #3C for cheap. Small sample size but had a 58% on faceoffs and is competent enough at both ends of the ice.
Would want a small add from the Avs but not a deal breaker.
Pretty fair offer.
I'm with you on this one. Plus Grigorenko got some good size. My real concern is adding Barrie on the backend. He's such a disaster that his HoF coach quit when management re-signed him :biglaugh:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I like the debate of Hamonic versus Barrie.

Scenario 1
Acquiring Hamonic solidifies your top 4 for the next 3-4 years easily.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Hamonic

Pros: Defensively above average, a top 4 that would consistently shut down opposition, extremely disciplined and offensively coachable, great passers
Cons: Offensive production is on lower side, less speed in transition with Lars and Hamonic against neutral zone systems

Scenario 2
Acquiring Barrie gives your top 4 a new offensive dynamic.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Barrie

Pros: Different element on each pairing with consistent threats on the rush in Klefbom and Barrie, more compatible with McDavid's speed, great passers
Cons: Defensively at risk with Sekera and Larsson likely shouldering more responsibility with potential to increase fatigue, might risk more goals against

I almost still lean towards Barrie because I think our team defense as a 5 man unit has improved and may help hide some of Barrie's inadequacies on defense.

Also means a third pairing of Nurse-Benning where Benning can get some opportunity in Barrie's spot if Tyson's having a rough night.

i was going to respond that you can easily play nurse or benning on the top 4 and let Barrie get easier matchups and PP time. Or you can play Barrie with Mcdavid seeing as the majority of time will be in the O zone anyway.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Unless the league goes back to the old rules with 5-6 PP's a game, I think you have to take Hamonic over Barrie.

Our PP was already well over 20%. I don't think it gets much better with Barrie. All that probably happens is that some of the points Klefbom/Sekera got will get re-distributed to Barre.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Some people seem to think it's going to be relatively easy to pick up a good top 4 dman this summer.

I think this could be the hardest summer in years to pick up that type of player.

At the best of times... solid top 4 dmen are hard to acquire... never mind a year when an expansion team is literally swallowing up anywhere from 7-13 of those types off other NHL rosters.

That is going to lead to teams hanging on to what they have remaining with an extra hard grip... and the competition for the few decent UFA dmen will be hot and any top 4 dmen potentially available in trade will also likely be highly sought after.

There's also this theme being floated around that Vegas will be easy to deal with... simply send them a decent forward (since they'll likely be lacking in those) and they'll gladly send back one of those spare #4/#5 dmen they have collected. Do you not think 29 other teams will likely be in the competition for that scheme as well?

There are several adages that come into play here... bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush... the devil you know... grass isn't always greener... etc.

Chia is a pretty savvy GM and likely has a very good perspective on the market out there... and knows how the expansion draft and trade/UFA market will likely play out.

This isn't his first rodeo and if he's doing a deal for a dman that he knows/trusts within the context of the upcoming draft/free agency window coming up... I actually trust his decision making and his ability to not be left holding an empty bag at the end of this summer while everyone else is saying what he should/could do.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not super worried about the PP, especially considering that the idea of a PP being run by the D is fading - even the Sharks PP led by Burns was sub-optimal.

I am more worried about our transition game - I found that breaking out the puck was hard to do for half of the Oilers D - Klefbom, Sekera and Benning (Benning less consistently after his injury) were good at it as well as McDavid of course (not a D though).

I want a RHD that can move the puck smartly, something to help keep up with the Ducks and the Preds who had 4-6 guys who could move the puck north rather than bang it off the boards and pray.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
If the Isles weren't willing to move Hamonic for Hall, I can't see them doing so for Eberle.

they went from a playoff team to trash with zero complimentary scoring. the tables have flipped. we dont need hamonic anymore we have larsson, they need a scoring winger to play with JT. one because they suck and 2 if they dont JT walks in a year.

the oilers would like hamonic but we dont need him. thats the difference between last year and this year.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
I'm not super worried about the PP, especially considering that the idea of a PP being run by the D is fading - even the Sharks PP led by Burns was sub-optimal.

I am more worried about our transition game - I found that breaking out the puck was hard to do for half of the Oilers D - Klefbom, Sekera and Benning were good at it as well as McDavid of course (not a D though).

I want a RHD that can move the puck smartly, something to help keep up with the Ducks and the Preds who had 4-6 guys who could move the puck north rather than bang it off the boards and pray.

i think with a RHS like Barrie you dont need him to run the PP, you use him as a weapon to spread the PK, the PP will go through McDavid and a shot like Barries has to be respected at all times. over respect and get killed down low. Barries shot in Letestus spot will be 5-8 more PP goals imo

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I'm also pretty excited to see some further development in Benning's game. There was a 20 game stretch where he was playing extremely confident and some excellent looks offensively.

They may just want a stop gap in the number 4 position before it is Benning's to take over. Would love to see one of our young d-men have a real breakout year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad