Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: The Eve of mayhem, gossip and things that go bump

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's already breaking down.

He may have put up some points last season but he wasn't great defensively and that was clear by how the coach deployed him.

He's not the type of player the Oilers should be risking significant cap space on.

I'm not talking about Edmonton. Our cap situation is cloudy as is.

I'm talking about Vancouver, who essentially have a clear slate in one season when the Sedin's contracts end.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I am not quite sure what you are asking here. Regardless of the actual rate if it remains unchanged then what you will get is basically organic growth. If it drops year to year the drop dampens revenue growth. It if rises it is a net positive.

So this year for example if economic conditions pushed the rate up to say $.76US we would have slightly accelerated growth above the organic rate even though the rate is still no where near par.

You said:

Early on this was less of an issue since revenue growth was exceeding the 5% number. But of late that has not been the case in good part because of a significant drop in the $CDN. (Had the $CDN remained constant organic growth would have averaged between 5-6% over those years).

When you said had the CAD remained 'constant' organic growth would have averaged between 5-6%, constant at what rate? What years?

So there must be an exchange rate where the exchange rate has no impact on the organic growth rate. $.76 seems low for a favourable exchange rate for the growth of the cap. A year ago the exchange rate was $.77. The rate has been hovering around $.76 for the past year. The cap is not increasing, as you say, because of an unfavourable exchange rate.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'd do Lucic for Seabrook + Kruger (saves them about 4 mill in cap space), but I doubt Lucic would waive. Isn't it something when a player refuses to leave Edmonton for Chicago :sarcasm:
That would be an awful, awful trade and would put us in cap he'll for years. What a bad idea.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Please stop the Bjugstad madness. The guy has a horrible contract with 4 more seasons on it based on one good season three years ago. You take on a ton of risk and the payoff is that he covers his salary at best. No thanks. Riley Smith is a solid player but he's being paid in full so no value on that deal either. We need value wingers with Drai/McDavid getting paid.

The guy you go after is Petrovic. His ESP/60 has been over 1.0 for the past 2 seasons which is crazy good (like top 20 in the league for dmen) even though he's no goal scorer. Smaller minutes than the top guys, but still, it's 2 years in a row and intriguing given his size.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2354261

other thread is at 1000

we might see the cup raised tonight and that could lead to massive movement--a preds win puts it off for a few more days and few more threads

Discussion points

1) Seabrook asked to waived his NMC? what teams might want him
2) Trades leading up to both drafts
3) Russell extension
4) Available RHD
5) Contracts to move or to trade for

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You said:

When you said had the CAD remained 'constant' organic growth would have averaged between 5-6%, constant at what rate? What years?

Sorry, I meant to say had the $CDN remained constant over the last 4 years the growth rate would have averaged in the 5-6% range.
So there must be an exchange rate where the exchange rate has no impact on the organic growth rate. $.76 seems low for a favourable exchange rate for the growth of the cap. A year ago the exchange rate was $.77. The rate has been hovering around $.76 for the past year. The cap is not increasing, as you say, because of an unfavourable exchange rate.

It does not matter what the rate is only how it changes from year to year. So long as it does not change year to year growth is purely organic.

The exchange rate is not the reason the cap would be flat this year. This would happen if the NHLPA does not use the escalator. Otherwise revenue would be up by about 5% even with a modest drop in the $CDN. The drop in the dollar did impact the cap a fair bit the last two years though.

Now McKenzie is saying that the NHLPA is talking about the escalator and that there is almost no chance they choose 0%. At 2% the increase would be about $1.4M or so. Actually a 3% number would take the cap to about $75M. This might be a very good outcome for the Oilers. It might well be enough to manage their cap issues without letting some of the competition off the hook.

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'm not talking about Edmonton. Our cap situation is cloudy as is.

I'm talking about Vancouver, who essentially have a clear slate in one season when the Sedin's contracts end.

I don't know if it's a great idea for them, but they refuse to do a full rebuild and yet are considering trading Tanev.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm hoping we can offload some salary on Vegas. Maybe Eberle for a good young dman?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Please stop the Bjugstad madness. The guy has a horrible contract with 4 more seasons on it based on one good season three years ago. You take on a ton of risk and the payoff is that he covers his salary at best. No thanks. Riley Smith is a solid player but he's being paid in full so no value on that deal either. We need value wingers with Drai/McDavid getting paid.

The guy you go after is Petrovic. His ESP/60 has been over 1.0 for the past 2 seasons which is crazy good (like top 20 in the league for dmen) even though he's no goal scorer. Smaller minutes than the top guys, but still, it's 2 years in a row and intriguing given his size.
Agreed hurt our cap situation worse for a guy with a career like Yakupov so far . Lol but he is 6'6:sarcasm:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I was expecting they wouldn't. Vegas is going to create 73M of cap space. Making the cap higher doesn't make anyone more money, the players split up the same sized money pie no matter what the cap is. The escalator is just there to make sure there is enough cap space for everyone to have a job (with the current state of the league where the overall salaries are far greater than the players share of revenue), and Vegas coming into the league makes this very easy.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Best thing that can happen is Vegas takes Pouliot, taking a look at fwds there is very slim pickings.
Then if we are lucky we can trade Eberle for a dman and sign Williams

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Well? Playoffs are over, where are my trades?

giphy.gif

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't know if it's a great idea for them, but they refuse to do a full rebuild and yet are considering trading Tanev.

They should trade him. No sense sticking it out with him if your offense is downright awful. Seabrook is a local, he's a borderline HOFer with many Stanley Cups under his belt and would be a perfect mentor for their young defensemen. The Canucks have no long-term salary commitments outside of Loui Eriksson. They are early enough in their 'rebuild' to work Seabrook's contract into their future cap structure.

As Fourier pointed out though, Seabrook's contract is buyout-proof. So ultimately, the Canucks would likely gain even more value taking that contract on.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'd definately go all in on Faulk. Why not?

In hindsight the tree way is missing something coming from Minnesota. ...

But yeah....

It' a spicy proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad