Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: The Eve of mayhem, gossip and things that go bump

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I don't like Russell at 4M, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. 500K-1M overpaid tops. Russell can't move the puck, but he can be a stabilizing presence and is an excellent shot blocker.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
TIL Avs fans think they're going to pull Jordan Eberle for Carl ****ing Soderberg :laugh: oh but they'll drop in a pick and a depth defenceman so it's all good.

I'd rather sign Russell to play centre than make that deal.

Soderberg + Barrie for Eberle + Pouliot

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Signing Russell for 4 years could become a Ference-like contract very quickly. Oilers can't afford that. I'd at most give him either 3 years at a lower caphit, or 2 years on a higher caphit. $4.5M x 2 or $3.75 x 3 seems more than fair to me.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't like Russell at 4M, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. 500K-1M overpaid tops. Russell can't move the puck, but he can be a stabilizing presence and is an excellent shot blocker.

its not the 4M.. its the 4yrs

We need him for 1 year max.

or make it a easily movable contract (front loaded) if its 2 or 3 yrs.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Russell at $4M wouldn't be the end of the world this year, but 4 years at $4M could cause some rather big problems down the road. I don't want us to be in another Fayne situation when we no longer have McDavid and Draisaitl on ELCs.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I'm honestly not sure about that 'only needing him for one year' stuff.

He brings a lot of things that are really tough to identify on a stat sheet and the coaching staff and players seem to love him.

I don't see much on the free agent market that's interesting in the least.

I wouldn't be overly upset at 4x4. Probably a year more than I'd ideally want to give him but nothing worth losing sleep over.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I like Russell but that's too long.

That would be a terrible deal.

I doubt very much that he can get more than 3 years from anywhere. I also doubt he can get more than 3.5M from anywhere, regardless of term. Sorry, he's a no.4-5 D. You have to draw the line somewhere.

I'd rather trade for Dion Phaneuf's entire cap hit for 3 more seasons than have Russell at 4M x 4 years.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Signing Russell for 4 years could become a Ference-like contract very quickly. Oilers can't afford that. I'd at most give him either 3 years at a lower caphit, or 2 years on a higher caphit. $4.5M x 2 or $3.75 x 3 seems more than fair to me.

Russell at $4M wouldn't be the end of the world this year, but 4 years at $4M could cause some rather big problems down the road. I don't want us to be in another Fayne situation when we no longer have McDavid and Draisaitl on ELCs.

or make it a easily movable contract (front loaded) if its 2 or 3 yrs.

1 year max is an overstatement. He's a good middle-pairing/really good bottom pairing dman who brings all the defense but none of the offense.

Even at 4M, he'd be a tradeable asset, assuming no derailment of his career, a la Fayne and Ference. And there's no evidence of such, and one of the issues with the two F's is that they came over from the East and immediately degraded into nothing on our team - with Russell, we know what we're getting in him as he's already played for us.

$4M is a small overpayment, and 4 Years is at most 2 years too much. But by the time we would need to move him, his contract would probably be cut in half in terms of term, so then it wouldn't be that hard of a deal to trade, imo.

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
Speculation going around that Phaneuf or Ceci might be on the way out of Ottawa due to protection issues. Anyone think either of those guys for Eberle, maybe not straight up, would be a better option than Russell? I would expect Phanuef to come with $$ retained.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Speculation going around that Phaneuf or Ceci might be on the way out of Ottawa due to protection issues. Anyone think either of those guys for Eberle, maybe not straight up, would be a better option than Russell? I would expect Phanuef to come with $$ retained.

Dion has a 7 mill cap hit.

No thanks.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

How the hell are they going to even move Phaneuf? I mean he already won't waive his no-move for the expansion draft.

I know I've often not expressed love for the player, but if you could make a trade where you move Fayne and a prospect for Phaneuf with a $2 or $2.5M retention would be quite nice.

Shane Goudie

Jul 8, 2009
How the hell are they going to even move Phaneuf? I mean he already won't waive his no-move for the expansion draft.

I know I've often not expressed love for the player, but if you could make a trade where you move Fayne and a prospect for Phaneuf with a $2 or $2.5M retention would be quite nice.

He has a list of 12 teams he would go to. Whether Edmonton has made its way onto that list I don't know. I like Phanuef at 5mil per also vs. Russell at 4+.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I'm honestly not sure about that 'only needing him for one year' stuff.

He brings a lot of things that are really tough to identify on a stat sheet and the coaching staff and players seem to love him.

I don't see much on the free agent market that's interesting in the least.

I wouldn't be overly upset at 4x4. Probably a year more than I'd ideally want to give him but nothing worth losing sleep over.

All the advanced stats people want to bring up is his lack of offense, and the fact that he pulls others offense down. I get that this is a bad thing, but this is because he focuses on defense, which is something this team has needed for a long time. But now that we have one, we want him out again. And a bunch of dmen that people talk about trading for, people bash them for their lack of defensive play (Barrie, for example)... so which is it? Because finding a dman to play for your bottom pairing or middle pairing that has equal defense/offensive skills is not very easy to find (unless they are not great at either).

He blocked 12 more shots than any other D, and his shot blocks/game is far and away higher than anyone else on that list (closest to him, Karlsson, was .5 blocked shots/game less). Similarly only a couple of D came close to blocked shots/60 (Oduya, Cole, de Haan - but were all 1 blocked shot/60 away at least). This is an important statistic when you don't have an elite goalie. And Talbot is a fantastic starter, but he is not elite (at least not yet - he'll need to put together a few more seasons like this or better to be considered elite).

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
4x4 for Russell will make me seriously concerned about our cup window. Would be a very telling move by Chia of how things will be going for the next 5+ years.

North

Jun 25, 2009
We still need an upgrade on defense. I don't like the idea of signing Russell for that long but I'm honestly not seeing many better options out there.

And let's not kid ourselves. Eberle isn't going to return a top 4 D like Hall did.

4x4 for Russell will make me seriously concerned about our cup window. Would be a very telling move by Chia of how things will be going for the next 5+ years.

You saw Pittsburgh's d right?

Letang was out and they had a whole lot of nothing on there but they just won their second cup.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You saw Pittsburgh's d right?

Letang was out and they had a whole lot of nothing on there but they just won their second cup.

I saw the D of the team that beat us in the playoffs and the team that beat them.

Pittsburgh didn't win the Cup because of their D. They won because Murray >>>>>>>>>>> Rinne in the Finals.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
He has a list of 12 teams he would go to. Whether Edmonton has made its way onto that list I don't know. I like Phanuef at 5mil per also vs. Russell at 4+.

Phaneuf is an ass. He can be an ass in the East for all I care. He made it pretty clear he hated Edmonton, just like Bouwmeester said the same thing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Rishaug saying oilers are looking to give Russel 4 years at 4 Mil per. So HFOil is getting their boy resigned!

Lets hope that rumor isnt true.
2 years at $4M would be fine by me. A bit high on the dollar amount but great term. 3 years would be less than ideal but not terrible.
4 years at $4M is terrible.
The Sekera situation really messes things up for Chiarelli.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
I saw the D of the team that beat us in the playoffs and the team that beat them.

Pittsburgh didn't win the Cup because of their D. They won because Murray >>>>>>>>>>> Rinne in the Finals.

Murray is certainly a big part of the penguins success, but part of the reason they won a cup with a below-average d corps is also their game style. Pittsburgh plays a lot around constant, relentless forechecking, which means that all their d-men really have to do is chip the puck out of the zone so a forward can dump it in to the offensive zone, and then their offensive plan is enacted. Teams like us who rely more on the transition/rush require d-men who can make outlet passes or exit their own zone with possession, which is a bigger ask.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't even think I'd do that, honestly. Soderberg was God awful last year and Barrie needs a map and a dog tether in his own zone. He's too much of a riverboat gambler for my taste.

yeh but Soderberg checks a lot of boxes that media has been throwing at us.
down season but was productive in past. makes less than Eberle etc etc

The guy has size, was good on the dot last year and produced when Chia had him in Boston..

We sadly may be looking at a straight swap. Barrie and Pouliot addition was just me trying to fool myself.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Schultz is still a flawed player. He plays very sheltered minutes in Pittsburgh. Dead last in EVTOI in the playoffs and double than any other defenseman on the PP. We don't have the organizational depth to do that. Barrie would be Schultz 2.0 in Edmonton because we are ultimately acquiring him to pair with Andrej Sekera, are we not? Those are key minutes.

It's in no way the same.

how are we not the same as Pittsburgh in that way? If we got Barrie, or Green, or whoever, they could get PP time and some sheltered minutes, and our many two-way D could shoulder the defensive burden. Overall D scoring would be way up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad