Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Do We Need a Dman Still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
The true mark of a mediocre team is giving players like Lucic and Russell NMCs.

Both of them were top tier players in their respective free agent classes. GMs are going to overpay those players and give them NMCs because it's better to do that than not have them at all.

The Tambellini era Oilers never had any NMCs and that's part of the reason why players like Belanger and Foster were always our biggest signings.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The true mark of a mediocre team is giving players like Lucic and Russell NMCs.
The true mark of any GM trying to save dollars and/or term on a deal give players like them NMCs. Lucic had better offers elsewhere. Russell took a $900k raise. Suck it up, it's a slow start.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Really, what did I make up? The repeating champ Pens made a trade- fact. The Red Wings made a trade- fact. The Oilers are 2-5- fact.

Either you are happy with what Chia has (not) done so far, or you are not but refuse to criticize him. Which is it?

You thinking Chia has 'given up and that he is just sitting there doing nothing at all. That's your narrative. Unless you are his assistant, you have nothing to say that is true. So yes, you are making things up to sound like you know what is going on.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
The true mark of any GM trying to save dollars and/or term on a deal give players like them NMCs. Lucic had better offers elsewhere. Russell took a $900k raise. Suck it up, it's a slow start.
Geez, NMC is in no way the mark of a good GM. Those deals were sketchy from day 1 regardless of slow start. Those particular deals may or may not turn out fine but a NMC is never preferable on an older player given big money and term.
If it saved us any salary it wasn't much.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Both of them were top tier players in their respective free agent classes. GMs are going to overpay those players and give them NMCs because it's better to do that than not have them at all.

The Tambellini era Oilers never had any NMCs and that's part of the reason why players like Belanger and Foster were always our biggest signings.
How often does overpaying ufas work out really?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It doesn't look that excellent with him either tbh (not his fault). I would have preferred Hall + Demers over Lucic + Larsson.
The difference between Larsson and Demers is miles different than Lucic and Hall. Demers is an awful hockey player this last 2 years. This team doesn't make the playoffs last year with Hall and Demers. Not even close

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If we're looking for a d-man on the cheap...how about Jordie Benn? He's signed this year and next for 1.1 million. When Sekera gets back to speed, he could slide down to a 5-6 spot and allow Benning to develop in the A if he continues to struggle.

He's a left shot but the price is right. Another plus is he's only a -1 on a team that sits -20 in goal differential, while playing 17-19+ plus minutes per night in six of Montreal's first seven games. I don't watch the Habs at all but based on their early struggles as well, its not bad defensive numbers based on minutes played. Im not a firm believer in the advanced/analytic stats so I have no idea what his are.

Maybe he's not what the Oil need but it's a name I thought I'd bring up as a possible target if Montreal is looking at shaking it up a bit.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
You thinking Chia has 'given up and that he is just sitting there doing nothing at all. That's your narrative.

Err, that's reality. Unless I've missed a major trade, he HAS done nothing.

Unless you are his assistant, you have nothing to say that is true. So yes, you are making things up to sound like you know what is going on.

Oilers are 2-5. Chia hasn't made a significant move to upgrade the roster. Yep, I know what's going on. Sorry that the truth burns you so bad. Maybe if you squint hard enough, the standings will look like 5-2.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If we're looking for a d-man on the cheap...how about Jordie Benn? He's signed this year and next for 1.1 million. When Sekera gets back to speed, he could slide down to a 5-6 spot and allow Benning to develop in the A if he continues to struggle.

He's a left shot but the price is right. Another plus is he's only a -1 on a team that sits -20 in goal differential, while playing 17-19+ plus minutes per night in six of Montreal's first seven games. I don't watch the Habs at all but based on their early struggles as well, its not bad defensive numbers based on minutes played. Im not a firm believer in the advanced/analytic stats so I have no idea what his are.

Maybe he's not what the Oil need but it's a name I thought I'd bring up as a possible target if Montreal is looking at shaking it up a bit.
We don't need defensive defense. We need puck moving offensive guys who can get pucks on net.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

We called up Brad Malone. Isn't that enough for you people?!

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Lucic is one thing but I'll never understand giving Russell one.

If Chia had to give Russell an NMC to get his money down I'd hate to think of what the offer was.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So looking at the players contracts ending this year we really don't have a lot of expiring contracts. Lots of RFAs but no UFAs of note outside of Letestu. I think he would be very valuable to a team if we are out at the deadline.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lucic is one thing but I'll never understand giving Russell one.

If Chia had to give Russell an NMC to get his money down I'd hate to think of what the offer was.
We've gone over it before. With the weak free agent crop, who knew what numbers other teams were throwing around? Alzner and Kulikov were comparable players who were prime for inflated deals. We had a guy close to home willing to take a minimal raise on his previous salary. That NMC is just a formality because the only time we're trading him is when someone actually forces him out of the top six.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
We've gone over it before. With the weak free agent crop, who knew what numbers other teams were throwing around? Alzner and Kulikov were comparable players who were prime for inflated deals. We had a guy close to home willing to take a minimal raise on his previous salary. That NMC is just a formality because the only time we're trading him is when someone actually forces him out of the top six.

Except the NMC (and the structure of the contract) make it virtually impossible for Chia or any future GM to get out from under it. I don't care about having such an albatross of a contract for a year or two, but tying ourselves to that anchor for four seasons was inexcusable.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Except the NMC (and the structure of the contract) make it virtually impossible for Chia or any future GM to get out from under it. I don't care about having such an albatross of a contract for a year or two, but tying ourselves to that anchor for four seasons was inexcusable.
You make it sound like he's locked in for the league max. Three years more at $4m. Not impossible to move.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
So looking at the players contracts ending this year we really don't have a lot of expiring contracts. Lots of RFAs but no UFAs of note outside of Letestu. I think he would be very valuable to a team if we are out at the deadline.
C'mon, we won't be out at the deadline. We have McDavid. McDavid is king.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad