Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Do We Need a Dman Still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
There really is no one on Vegas who helps us since they only have 3rd pair LHD available. I'd maybe offer Montreal Paigin for Davidson if want a prospect and Davidson gives us some depth that we are familiar with. Reality is we are going to have to wait and see who shakes free in the new year. I like Russell as a 4-5 dman who can play either side on the 2nd pair when needed but I'd prefer him anchoring the 3rd pair when everyone is healthy. You've got a real nice defense if Russell is on your 3rd pair. In the medium term maybe you put Sekera on the right side with Nurse on the 2nd pair if Sekera is able to handle it - that's a really nice pair as Nurse can off-set Sekera's lack of size which is his only real issue.

Tanev for RNH is a deal I keep coming back to after VAN clearly becomes a lottery team, and pick up an older 2018 UFA center like Plekanec to replace RNH if Montreal isn't contending.
Have you watched Tanev play NHL games in the past two years? He's warm butter soft, almost zero offense, and is a magnet to every fluke injury possible.
The Oilers are a much better team with RNH and a 2nd pair of Sekera-Russell than Puke-anec and Sekera-Tanev......much much better

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Well RNH is not exactly a bruiser is he (neither is Sekera). Even if RNH plays decently this year, which he has, he's dead man walking due to cap issues next summer. I also think you are selling Tanev very short. He's a quality 2nd pair dman on a good team. Plekanec has out-scored RNH over the past three years, and while I would not expect him to handle anything above 3rd line center in the playoffs given his age, he's a smart vet who would probably be pretty excited to try get a cup before he's done and would contribute.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Have you watched Tanev play NHL games in the past two years? He's warm butter soft, almost zero offense, and is a magnet to every fluke injury possible.
The Oilers are a much better team with RNH and a 2nd pair of Sekera-Russell than Puke-anec and Sekera-Tanev......much much better

I think you're underrating Tanev. Guy can play goalie too:

Not sure i could handle Tanev on our team. Every time I hear his name I have to watch this video.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Tanev is the new Hamonic, just softer and without the sweet mustache. Would not deal RNH for him. Dont think we have room for his $4.5M cap hit either on D.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
What about Connor Murphy as a potential trade target? Friedman was saying there is some worry over his performance esp after the steep price they paid in acquiring him. He's been a healthy scratch for 2 games and is fighting for a spot with Franson and Rutta. Only 24 years old.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What about Connor Murphy as a potential trade target? Friedman was saying there is some worry over his performance esp after the steep price they paid in acquiring him. He's been a healthy scratch for 2 games and is fighting for a spot with Franson and Rutta. Only 24 years old.
So he's fighting for ice time with players who wouldnt even be dressed for us.

No thanks.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
we're in a rough spot, where our bottom pairing guys are doing fine, and it's our top 4 that needs to be better. It would be so easy if it were the bottom pairing that was costing us games, since adding in that case is easy.

I can't say that adding a Dman to this would help. It's just a case where the team has been slumping and needs to work through it. We're not near the point where we can say it's more than just a slow start.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Not sure he's the right player to invest 5 years into at just under 4 million per.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not sure he's the right player to invest 5 years into at just under 4 million per.
I've always been a fan, but you're right. Kris Russell was that signing and we're better for it. I don't think we're in the market for a big D add unless we run into significant injuries or we opt for a significant rental. If we have anyone stepping in prior to Sekera getting healthy, I see a bottom pairing option at the very most.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I've always been a fan, but you're right. Kris Russell was that signing and we're better for it. I don't think we're in the market for a big D add unless we run into significant injuries or we opt for a significant rental. If we have anyone stepping in prior to Sekera getting healthy, I see a bottom pairing option at the very most.
I tend to agree. Of course it would depend if a really enticing name became available. But players that can make a true impact are so rarely dealt this time of year (or any time of year for that matter). Connor Murphy is probably a fine player and might even be worth his deal at some point. But if we're going to invest that kind of money into another d-man it needs to be someone who can move the needle.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Murphy made me LMAO last night when McDavid was bearing down on him and you could literally see him fill his pants trying pivot and make a play. Funny as hell.

RNH is probably the guy we need to deal to get a 2RHD and guys like Tanev and Petry are the level of player we will get in return. Will be crazy to see the return on three 1OV picks in the end (Hall, Yak and RNH) and McDavid will be the only one left when summer comes back around.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I have time for Murphy but we'd then need an offensive RHD to round out our roster. Murphy and Manson are about the only 2 defensemen that try to play Looch physical regularly with the exception of Emelin I guess.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Murphy made me LMAO last night when McDavid was bearing down on him and you could literally see him fill his pants trying pivot and make a play. Funny as hell.

RNH is probably the guy we need to deal to get a 2RHD and guys like Tanev and Petry are the level of player we will get in return. Will be crazy to see the return on three 1OV picks in the end (Hall, Yak and RNH) and McDavid will be the only one left when summer comes back around.
RNH isn't the guy we move for a 2RHD because we can't fit a 2RHD. The Russell signing tied up the cap space and roster spot. Sekera and Russell have NMC and we'd be crazy to move Larsson or Klefbom. The only improvement we'll see on D anytime soon will have to come from Benning/Nurse.

Reactions: nabob

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
McNabb from Vegas is actually a very good dman... top 4 quality actually because hockey is played at both ends of the ice and he's got a good (underrated) all-around game.

I would be very interested in the Oilers acquiring him if the price is reasonable.

Good size and age as well... right when dmen usually really come into their own in their mid 20's.

Reactions: nabob

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Tanev is the new Hamonic, just softer and without the sweet mustache. Would not deal RNH for him. Dont think we have room for his $4.5M cap hit either on D.
I'm an RNH supporter, but I'd take that deal I view Tanev as a #2 D-man, he isn't as physical as Hamonic, but I consider him to be a decent notch up defensively, great at suppressing shots, handle elite opposition better and generally has been the more consistent of the two. IMO Tanev could give Larsson a run for his money for his spot, but would form a really strong 2nd unit with Sekera; Russell would be an expensive 3rd pairing d-man, but given the value deals we have on the swedish duo and the overall importance of defense I think we could make it work. I'm also a believer that the 3rd d-pairing is much more important than most people think they get significant ice-time and can generate a strong match-up advantage.

It would require a replacement C deal lined up obviously and I don't see it as realistic, but I consider Tanev to be the better player of the two and more affordable.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
There really is no one on Vegas who helps us since they only have 3rd pair LHD available. I'd maybe offer Montreal Paigin for Davidson if want a prospect and Davidson gives us some depth that we are familiar with. Reality is we are going to have to wait and see who shakes free in the new year. I like Russell as a 4-5 dman who can play either side on the 2nd pair when needed but I'd prefer him anchoring the 3rd pair when everyone is healthy. You've got a real nice defense if Russell is on your 3rd pair. In the medium term maybe you put Sekera on the right side with Nurse on the 2nd pair if Sekera is able to handle it - that's a really nice pair as Nurse can off-set Sekera's lack of size which is his only real issue.

Tanev for RNH is a deal I keep coming back to after VAN clearly becomes a lottery team, and pick up an older 2018 UFA center like Plekanec to replace RNH if Montreal isn't contending.

on the main trade board some nuck fans want a mid first and a top prospect for Tanev or more and anyone who says other wise is just wrong

Some nuck fans act like Tanev is a Norris level D-man

they would want pizza boy and nuge for Tanev

that was the ask a few weeks ago

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
on the main trade board some nuck fans want a mid first and a top prospect for Tanev or more and anyone who says other wise is just wrong

Some nuck fans act like Tanev is a Norris level D-man

they would want pizza boy and nuge for Tanev

that was the ask a few weeks ago
They over rate the hell out of Tanev on the mains. Reminds me of how Saber fans used to demand the moon for Kulikov. When a guy is really the only bright young light they have on defense then his value seems to increase. Personally I don't think Tanev has proven to be anything more than a good #3/4 Dman on a team that lacks defensive depth big time.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
You are obviously wrong. If he had scored 5 goals in these 5 games not a single Oilers fan would want him going back. Its not about cap hit for me.. its about ruining a career. There is no reason to rush him. He is getting prime minutes but has nothing to show for in terms of execution. Having him here would not put us over the top this year while sending him down to dominate would only make him better after this year.
The reason why he might stick around would not be him but the regression of Slepy, Caggiula, Puljujarvi and Strome.

So how is it ruining him if he's performing excellent on the ice? He's getting chances on the go, doesn't look awkward out there and he's producing (2 Assists in 5 games). We would 'ruin' him if he didn't do anything and was just floating around on the ice and only giving him 4th line duty or press box. So I'm 'obviously' not wrong.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I'm just not interested at all in any more 2-4 level dmen. I know we got off to a rough start, but these things happen. Sekera will come back, and the team will be fine.

If Montreal wants to panic trade Weber, or LA drops back to reality and DD is available at the deadline, then we can talk. But imo, adding more 4-5M D won't be the right move.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm just not interested at all in any more 2-4 level dmen. I know we got off to a rough start, but these things happen. Sekera will come back, and the team will be fine.

If Montreal wants to panic trade Weber, or LA drops back to reality and DD is available at the deadline, then we can talk. But imo, adding more 4-5M D won't be the right move.

Well it's the (realistic) cost to acquire and resulting cap hit on the roster as well.

Not sure what assets it would require to acquire the bigger fish... but there's no reason that a smaller fish wouldn't have a solid impact on the roster as well without breaking the bank for one of the marquee names.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
So the Pens are not content to sit on their heels despite winning back-to-back Cups. Neither are the Red Wings, who are playing above expectations but still need to make a difficult trade in order to resolve a difficult situation.

Those two clubs managed to work out a deal that benefited both. Meanwhile we're at 5 losses in 7 games and not a peep from Chiarelli, who is doing his best Tambo impression.

He really doesn't want this team to get better, does he?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
So the Pens are not content to sit on their heels despite winning back-to-back Cups. Neither are the Red Wings, who are playing above expectations but still need to make a difficult trade in order to resolve a difficult situation.

Those two clubs managed to work out a deal that benefited both. Meanwhile we're at 5 losses in 7 games and not a peep from Chiarelli, who is doing his best Tambo impression.

He really doesn't want this team to get better, does he?

Dude, what is your problem? You obviously hate Chia. So why don't you cheer for another team if you hate him so much? Just trying to make up garbage statements like this is not necessary and are troll-worthy. Like seriously...

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Dude, what is your problem? You obviously hate Chia. So why don't you cheer for another team if you hate him so much? Just trying to make up garbage statements like this is not necessary and are troll-worthy. Like seriously...

Really, what did I make up? The repeating champ Pens made a trade- fact. The Red Wings made a trade- fact. The Oilers are 2-5- fact.

Either you are happy with what Chia has (not) done so far, or you are not but refuse to criticize him. Which is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad