Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Do We Need a Dman Still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic is more dialed in and involved in the games come playoff time, regular season Lucic will sleep walk through atleast 1/3rd of the games he plays.

Really? Because he wasn't great at all in the playoffs. Better than RNH and Eberle, but David Desharnais was better than those two in the playoffs.

He was good for about a 20 game stretch last year towards the end of the season, but sucked before, and then sucked again in the playoffs. Should have passed on this player.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Really? Because he wasn't great at all in the playoffs. Better than RNH and Eberle, but David Desharnais was better than those two in the playoffs.

He was good for about a 20 game stretch last year towards the end of the season, but sucked before, and then sucked again in the playoffs. Should have passed on this player.
Lucic has always been a player that plays better in more physical affairs, when it gets a bit heated and nasty (like playoffs do) is when he tends to play his best (so long as he doesn't boil over into being straight up undisciplined), also talking more about career generalities then a paltry 13 game sample size or hyper-focusing on strictly points. Desharnais scored a big goal for us, but I don't respect him as a hockey player, he is undersized and easy to play against and doesn't provide enough utility for me to give a damn about him, he is a strictly inferior player to either of Eberle or RNH and again a 13 game sample size isn't about to change my mind on that, it is when players have a repeating pattern of not delivering in playoffs that is a cause for concern, I'd give just about any player a pass for a single bad playoffs particularly when it is the first taste of playoffs either player had.

On the subject of bad playoff performers Pacioretty has that stigma, but I'd still give him a chance here, different coach, different team, and loses the pressure of wearing the "C" could change things for him. I have a great deal of respect for Yzerman and Datsyuk who both started as big playoff chokers.

I was critical of Lucic as a signing option, but the horse I was backing going into that UFA period was Eriksson, who has been quite a bit worse to this point, so I don't feel I can be too critical, I thank Lucic for his contribution to helping us end our playoff drought, but suspect many of us will have some strong buyers remorse before that contract expires.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic has always been a player that plays better in more physical affairs, when it gets a bit heated and nasty (like playoffs do) is when he tends to play his best (so long as he doesn't boil over into being straight up undisciplined), also talking more about career generalities then a paltry 13 game sample size or hyper-focusing on strictly points. Desharnais scored a big goal for us, but I don't respect him as a hockey player, he is undersized and easy to play against and doesn't provide enough utility for me to give a damn about him, he is a strictly inferior player to either of Eberle or RNH and again a 13 game sample size isn't about to change my mind on that, it is when players have a repeating pattern of not delivering in playoffs that is a cause for concern, I'd give just about any player a pass for a single bad playoffs particularly when it is the first taste of playoffs either player had.

On the subject of bad playoff performers Pacioretty has that stigma, but I'd still give him a chance here, different coach, different team, and loses the pressure of wearing the "C" could change things for him. I have a great deal of respect for Yzerman and Datsyuk who both started as big playoff chokers.

I was critical of Lucic as a signing option, but the horse I was backing going into that UFA period was Eriksson, who has been quite a bit worse to this point, so I don't feel I can be too critical, I thank Lucic for his contribution to helping us end our playoff drought, but suspect many of us will have some strong buyers remorse before that contract expires.

I have buyer's remorse now, lol.

Should have just kept Hall. Larsson is a nice d-man, but not worth upending our forward core like that. Maybe we don't get 103 points last year, but I think they would have been much better with healthy Klefbom + Russell added to the blue line and Hall retained anyway.

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

Should have just kept Hall. Larsson is a nice d-man, but not worth upending our forward core like that. Maybe we don't get 103 points last year, but I think they would have been much better with healthy Klefbom + Russell added to the blue line and Hall retained anyway.

I probably agree with you there. I’ve said many times since the Hall for Larsson trade that despite it helping us in the short-term, I feel that it limits this team’s long-term potential to succeed. A lot of people in here seem to crap on Hall a lot, but the truth is, he is a rare talent in that he is a winger that creates scoring chances at a ridiculous rate. He also played his ass off when he really could have taken the easy way out like RNH and Eberle did for many years (and continue to do). I know people knock him for not scoring 30 goals yet and yes he did sometimes make boneheaded plays by trying to do too much, but he consistently showed that in the long-run, his positive contributions far exceeded his mistakes. Larsson is a good defender, but he is not someone you trade Taylor Hall for.

And Leon+Hall had great chemistry; those two could be played together as a 2nd line with pretty much anyone on RW, while Maroon+McDavid would be the basis for line 1. The ridiculous money spent on Lucic could’ve been used on D, and this Russell situation could’ve also been avoided. Team speed also wouldn’t be such an issue with Hall still around. I just wish this team had more high-motor, fiery players. The forwards just seem like they’re killing the clock out there; it’s rare to see anyone aggressively forechecking, creating turnovers etc, which Hall was also great at.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2013
I probably agree with you there. I’ve said many times since the Hall for Larsson trade that despite it helping us in the short-term, I feel that it limits this team’s long-term potential to succeed. A lot of people in here seem to crap on Hall a lot, but the truth is, he is a rare talent in that he is a winger that creates scoring chances at a ridiculous rate. He also played his ass off when he really could have taken the easy way out like RNH and Eberle did for many years (and continue to do). I know people knock him for not scoring 30 goals yet and yes he did sometimes make boneheaded plays by trying to do too much, but he consistently showed that in the long-run, his positive contributions far exceeded his mistakes. Larsson is a good defender, but he is not someone you trade Taylor Hall for.

And Leon+Hall had great chemistry; those two could be played together as a 2nd line with pretty much anyone on RW, while Maroon+McDavid would be the basis for line 1. The ridiculous money spent on Lucic could’ve been used on D, and this Russell situation could’ve also been avoided. Team speed also wouldn’t be such an issue with Hall still around. I just wish this team had more high-motor, fiery players. The forwards just seem like they’re killing the clock out there; it’s rare to see anyone aggressively forechecking, creating turnovers etc, which Hall was also great at.

Didn't Hall make the same "ridiculous money" as Lucic does? So, there wouldn't be extra money for D... and 'we' wouldn't have found a Larsson level Dman for free. Also, team speed might not be an issue with Hall around (although 1 player a team does not make), but Hall came with other 'issues.'

I still trade Hall for Larsson every time... despite a few struggles early into this season.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Didn't Hall make the same "ridiculous money" as Lucic does? So, there wouldn't be extra money for D... and 'we' wouldn't have found a Larsson level Dman for free. Also, team speed might not be an issue with Hall around (although 1 player a team does not make), but Hall came with other 'issues.'

I still trade Hall for Larsson every time... despite a few struggles early into this season.

If you dont trade Hall you Have 6million to get a Larsson level defender maybe one with some offensive abilities

Feb 9, 2013
So, 'we' are no further ahead money wise... and I still make the Hall for Larsson trade every time.

Larsson and Kelfbom were awesome last year, and I bet they will get there again this season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Lucic's contract is going nowhere. Never mind it being borderline untradeable, Chia's not going to offload his prized pickup after one season.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What I think makes Kessel strong is he can manufacture his own offense and really help drive the offensive tempo of a line much like Malkin and Crosby are capable of doing, it gives Pittsburgh 3 capable lines for doing damage out there. I consider Pacioretty to be more like a high end accessory winger to a strong center as a great trigger man, but he won't generate offense individually to the extent that McDavid, Draisaitl, or Hall would. Pacioretty does convert good offensive opportunities into goals better then anyone we have though and is something I'd welcome given how anemic our offense has been.
Pacioretty has been putting up 30 goals like it's nothing for years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but his center man was Danault last season? I wouldn't exactly confuse him with strong center.

He's led the Habs in scoring every season season he s been a full time NHLer. That hardly seems like an accessory type player. You are right he wouldn't drive offense as well as McDavid or Drai, but Kessel doesn't drive offense as well as malkin or Crosby. Still works out as their #3 guy.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

Hall + Hamonic + Demers would be so much better than Lucic + Larsson + Russell. I have a feeling this team will struggle with secondary scoring for a long time.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I don't
Hall is still too reckless, doesn't score enough goals and still trainwreck defensively

he's a good 1st-line winger when he has a good supporting cast, but Larsson is far more valuable on this team

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I feel like we need Pacioretty. Back to back games scoring 1 goal (from the top line). This team needs scoring more than anything.

If Montreal wants to get younger, I'd be fine with moving Pulju as long as they take some cap back.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If you dont trade Hall you Have 6million to get a Larsson level defender maybe one with some offensive abilities
No, we'd have $4m since Lucic and Hall make the exact same.

And to the people who think Demers was the better option should realize that we likely wouldn't have played a single post season game had we gone down that path. Replacing Larsson with Demers would've been a substantial detriment to the entire roster. Larsson and Russell improved that defense tremendously.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I mean, we could probably still get Demers fairly easily. He's not looking good down there, and with both clubs struggling, a shake-up could work out for mutual benefit.

Something like Benning and Strome for Dvorak/Fischer and Demers? Maybe toss them a third rounder to take Crouse as a reclamation project? Benning seems like a Chayka guy, and they'd get to unite the Strome bros. I don't know, just spit-balling.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We didn't have to sign Demers. Could've just signed Russell.

Hall >>> Lucic
Hamonic < Larsson
Russell = Russell

Is probably more accurate.

Hall has 9 points this year ... RNH + Lucic + Eberle combined this season have 10 points.

RNH/Lucic/Eberle are the "comfortable $6 million club" content to cash their paycheques and not be a factor night after night.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I feel like we need Pacioretty. Back to back games scoring 1 goal (from the top line). This team needs scoring more than anything.

If Montreal wants to get younger, I'd be fine with moving Pulju as long as they take some cap back.
We don't need a front line player like Pacioretty. If the roster we have right now isn't good enough to win games without paying top dollar for another all star forward, they'll never be good.

The future health of this roster is far more important than getting out of a small funk coming out of the gate.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We didn't have to sign Demers. Could've just signed Russell.

Hall >>> Lucic
Hamonic < Larsson
Russell = Russell

Is probably more accurate.

Hall has 9 points this year ... RNH + Lucic + Eberle combined this season have 10 points.

RNH/Lucic/Eberle are the "comfortable $6 million club" content to cash their paycheques and not be a factor night after night.
McDavid has 8 so Hall>McDavid by that logic.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean you are entitled to youe opinion but Hall is not not in that tier of player.

I mean the tier right below McDavid and co. Hall had two PPG seasons ... we don't have scoring problems if we had kept him (or speed problems).

You trade a player like that and basically you have bet the farm on Eberle/RNH/Lucic being able to carry the secondary scoring -- they have failed. Miserably.

Failed for large stretches of last regular season (Maroon and Letestu bailed them out)

Failed in the playoffs.

Fail again this year and we're supposed to be surprised about it.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Max Pac has 1 goal this year on a team that also can't score
I like him, but is he really the solution?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I mean the tier right below McDavid and co. Hall had two PPG seasons ... we don't have scoring problems if we had kept him (or speed problems).

You trade a player like that and basically you have bet the farm on Eberle/RNH/Lucic being able to carry the secondary scoring -- they have failed. Miserably.
no, instead we have defensive problems cause we have no Larsson and he's not a good 2-way player
and Hall hasn't been a PPG in 3 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad