Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Do We Need a Dman Still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The NMC in the latter half of the contract might have something to say about that. Not to mention the natural decline of his abilities.
Where do you see him using that clause? If our depth bumps him out of the lineup, I'm assuming he'll do what he can to stay in this league. You're stressing over nothing.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
McDavid isn't even top 30 in scoring right now. He cant solo carry this team again.
You think he'll finish outside the top 30?
He, Drai and Talbot can and will carry the team to the playoffs again. Maybe not much further without additions but we'll make the playoffs.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You think he'll finish outside the top 30?
He, Drai and Talbot can and will carry the team to the playoffs again. Maybe not much further without additions but we'll make the playoffs.
I still think we make playoffs but I am slowly starting to doubt it.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I still think we make playoffs but I am slowly starting to doubt it.
It's a bad start. Not really shocked.
It was predictable. I mean, people predicted it.
I'm sure they'll settle in and be at least a decent team.
The problem for me is before the offseason I thought we could take a run at the cup this year. I don't really see it anymore. We added nothing. We weren't good enough last year and we added nothing.
Bad math.
But, I've been wrong before so we'll see. Maybe they make the playoffs and find some magic. Who knows.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's a bad start. Not really shocked.
It was predictable. I mean, people predicted it.
I'm sure they'll settle in and be at least a decent team.
The problem for me is before the offseason I thought we could take a run at the cup this year. I don't really see it anymore. We added nothing. We weren't good enough last year and we added nothing.
Bad math.
But, I've been wrong before so we'll see. Maybe they make the playoffs and find some magic. Who knows.
Yep. This year was our best chance at the cup with massive pay raise for McDavid next year. So what does our GM do?

Move a 50-60 point player for a 30-40 point guy. Sign a bunch of AHLer. Let Pitlick and Oesterle walk and pretty much called it a day.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
I don't know about everyone else but I'm not understanding the love affair with Yamamoto. Sure the kid grinds it out and has some wheels but he's playing 1st line with Mcdavid and only 3 assists to show for it (2nd assists?). He seems just ok right now. I don't get Remenda, Spector, Brown pumping this guys tires so much. I think another year in jr, world jrs, possible mem cup run/ahl playoffs would be way more helpful to Yamamoto's development. His current situation is eerily similar to that of draisaitl and pulajarvi, great in the preseason, ok...ish in first 9 games of the year, and then regression for the remainder of the season. I get the injury situation makes it difficult to send him back now, but once draisaitl and caggiula i would send Yamamoto back to jr (similar to draisaitl, where he played with a chip on his shoulder). It also helps the oilers save a year on his entry level deal which would have helped Oilers this year in both contract and expansion draft with regards to Draisaitl.

I think a poster mentioned it earlier in this post that a good buy low candidate might be Grabner from the rangers, has wheels and skills, currently playing on the 4th line and only has this season left at 1.6mil on his contract. Would add speed to any line but could potentially play on Mcdavids line. Ideally you make the trade sooner rather than later so that the player can adapt to the team and start helping to get wins before its too late.

Current year:
Maroon-Mcdavid-Grabner
Lucic-Drasaitl-Caggiula
Jokinen-RNH-Strome
Slepyshev-letestu-Kassian
Kharia-Pakirinen

Next Year:
Maroon-Mcdavid-Yamamoto
Lucic-Draisaitl-Pulajarvi
Slepyshev-RNH-Caggula/strome
Kharia-letestu-Kassian
Maroon-Mcdavid-Grabner
Lucic-Drasaitl-Caggiula
Jokinen-RNH-Strome
Kharia-Pakirinen
Maroon-Mcdavid-Grabner
Lucic-Drasaitl-Caggiula
Jokinen-RNH-Strome
Kharia-Pakirinen
Maroon-Mcdavid-Grabner
Lucic-Drasaitl-Caggiula
Jokinen-RNH-Strome
Kharia-Pakirinen

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
oops.

Next Year:
Maroon-Mcdavid-Yamamoto
Lucic-Draisaitl-Pulajarvi
Slepyshev-RNH-Caggula/strome
Kharia-letestu-Kassian

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The NMC in the latter half of the contract might have something to say about that. Not to mention the natural decline of his abilities.
He was a modified no trade the last two years. In year 3 he has to submit a list of 10 teams he’d accept a trade to in year 4 15 teams.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the season does not correct itself (and granted I think it will) ... I would try and unload Lucic to LA this year.

Lucic @1 mill retained for Trevor Lewis. I'd even throw in a pick. We should not have signed this player, he wanted to be in LA anyway, so let him be.

RNH I would be willing to trade for Pacioretty or Galchenyuk.

Retool and let Puljujarvi and Yamamoto take full time positions next season. If it doesn't work this year, then this core is not worth keeping. You keep McDavid + Drai + Yamo and work around those three.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If the season does not correct itself (and granted I think it will) ... I would try and unload Lucic to LA this year.

Lucic @1 mill retained for Trevor Lewis. I'd even throw in a pick. We should not have signed this player, he wanted to be in LA anyway, so let him be.

RNH I would be willing to trade for Pacioretty or Galchenyuk.

Retool and let Puljujarvi and Yamamoto take full time positions next season.
LA offered him 5 a year for less years. They wont take him retained for more.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
LA offered him 5 a year for less years. They wont take him retained for more.

They were up against the cap roof at that time, they've weaselled their way below now. I would even do it for Gaborik if we are not in a playoff position come deadline time.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The way I see it the the team needs the following....

- 2 top 6 right wingers
- an NHL caliber third line
- right shot offensive defensemen
- backup goalie

Strome is a fine third liner and we don't have that. Nuge doesn't work on the third line here and cant carry a second line.

Puljujärvi and Yamamoto can fill the winger spots next year potentially, no guarantee.

Bear could be that offensive right shot guy but he is still a little whiles away.

The only way I think the team can succeed at this is if we move RNH unfortunately. We cannot afford to fill our holes with him signed with no real role on the team. Drai should be our 2c and 6mill for a ill fitted 3c just doesn't work when we have issues elsewhere in the lineup.

The problem is. I am not an NHL GM and I do not know what players we could bring in to solve said issues

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The way I see it the the team needs the following....

- 2 top 6 right wingers
- an NHL caliber third line
- right shot offensive defensemen
- backup goalie

Strome is a fine third liner and we don't have that. Nuge doesn't work on the third line here and cant carry a second line.

Puljujärvi and Yamamoto can fill the winger spots next year potentially, no guarantee.

Bear could be that offensive right shot guy but he is still a little whiles away.

The only way I think the team can succeed at this is if we move RNH unfortunately. We cannot afford to fill our holes with him signed with no real role on the team. Drai should be our 2c and 6mill for a ill fitted 3c just doesn't work when we have issues elsewhere in the lineup.

The problem is. I am not an NHL GM and I do not know what players we could bring in to solve said issues

We just need a "second line" (as in any line 2/3/4) that can be counted on to score goals.

The Leafs have that, we don't.

You're never going to have a team with no holes when you have elite talent like McDavid and Draisaitl earning the higher cap amounts. The Penguins have holes. Lots of them. You can have "balance" and no McDavid/Draisaitl or you can have elite players like McDavid/Draisaitl and have a roster that works being thin in certain areas. You can't have both.

Pens make due because their top players deliver, outside of Crosby. Malkin's line is always a threat to score, so is Kessel's. We have that on one line.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We just need a "second line" (as in any line 2/3/4) that can be counted on to score goals.

The Leafs have that, we don't.

You're never going to have a team with no holes when you have elite talent like McDavid and Draisaitl earning the higher cap amounts. The Penguins have holes. Lots of them.

They make due because their top players deliver, outside of Crosby. Malkin's line is always a threat to score, so is Kessel's. We have that on one line.
My point is our holes are glaring.

They have wingers that click with their top centers. We put our top centers together and hope for the best.

I also think their coach is much better. You know what duo looked fantastic in the playoffs?

Lucic and Draisaitl. They were possession beasts. So what happens this year? Hasn't even been tried. outside of like one pre season game. Then Todd goes "we don't need secondary scoring, lets just load up our top line and grab our nuts and pray that McJesus line can do everything"

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I think the key at this point is to send Yamamoto down.

We need his extra ELC year at the cap and he’s wasting scoring chances that others can and will score on.

Next, McLellan needs to abandon the three scoring lines ideal and put RNH back on the third line in his usual defensive role. He’s been poor in the system yet again, and seems to always lose the puck behind the opposition goal line on the cycle.

If we run with this when Leon gets back and we’ll be a better team:

Maroon - McDavid - Strome (he has a good shot, but rarely gets the puck in a good shooting area)
Lucic - Draisaitl - Slepyshev
Pakarinen - RNH - Kassian
Jokinen - Letestu - Caggiula

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Pacioretty could be our Kessel. Make it happen Chia.
What I think makes Kessel strong is he can manufacture his own offense and really help drive the offensive tempo of a line much like Malkin and Crosby are capable of doing, it gives Pittsburgh 3 capable lines for doing damage out there. I consider Pacioretty to be more like a high end accessory winger to a strong center as a great trigger man, but he won't generate offense individually to the extent that McDavid, Draisaitl, or Hall would. Pacioretty does convert good offensive opportunities into goals better then anyone we have though and is something I'd welcome given how anemic our offense has been.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
My point is our holes are glaring.

They have wingers that click with their top centers. We put our top centers together and hope for the best.

I also think their coach is much better. You know what duo looked fantastic in the playoffs?

Lucic and Draisaitl. They were possession beasts. So what happens this year? Hasn't even been tried. outside of like one pre season game. Then Todd goes "we don't need secondary scoring, lets just load up our top line and grab our nuts and pray that McJesus line can do everything"
Lucic is more dialed in and involved in the games come playoff time, regular season Lucic will sleep walk through atleast 1/3rd of the games he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig